Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Skies

For the discussion of our Sunless Skies, released January 2019.

Please re-implement manual saving Messages in this topic - RSS

Nanako
Nanako

8/30/2017
Apologies in advance if i'm simply missing it, but I believe i've searched fairly well

Sunless Skies seems to have removed manual saves, a feature that was present in sunless sea. Instead only allowing a single autosave which is overwritten whenever the game feels like it during port. I can at least say for sure that it's not simply saved once on arriving, but seems to save after storylets. This denies me the ability to reload and retry on results i dislike.

Naturally, i will use this feature for cheating, as I always have. I feel that's my right, as the sole player of a singleplayer game, to reload and retry results i choose not to accept. Perhaps due to overly harsh consequences, or perhaps - in a great many cases, due simply to a desire to see each of the possible outcomes and experience the writing to its fullest. sunless sea also had many storylets where a certain option would have permanant consequences like killing a crewmember, or unpredictable ones like getting the urbane magician instead of the satisfied magician

I also did use manual saves a lot to make a backup at a safe place - like london, before setting out on an expedition that i might not be able to manage. There was a period early on where i tried to play sunless sea without manual saves, and I frequently ended up stuck - such as being at a far port with insufficient fuel to get home and none being sold there. I see that permadeath is no longer what it once was, with the opportunity to reload on death. But this feature will be stymied if the player manages to autosave themselves into an unrecoverable situation

And lets not forget the probably-unlikely but highly devastating possibility of save file corruption. Without a backup to load from, that would be awful to go through

Please do reimplement manual saves. Those who wish to accept fate as it comes can simply not use them, I personally would like the option

--
Sunless Skies needs engine and speed control mechanics. Have a look at my design proposal for implementing it

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25687-a-design-for-engines.aspx
+9 link
Nanako
Nanako

8/31/2017
well, one of those things i mentioned has happened.

Trapped and autosaved at a port with almost-full terror. it fills up before i can make the journey to any other port, which causes an inescapable and permanant death.

The autosave has locked me into an unwinnable situation, and this captain ive spent eight hours on is gone. Game over upset

It'd be nice to have a response from a developer regarding this save issue. Is the removal of manual saving intentional? Are there any plans to re-add it? What's the reason for it?
edited by Nanako on 8/31/2017

--
Sunless Skies needs engine and speed control mechanics. Have a look at my design proposal for implementing it

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic25687-a-design-for-engines.aspx
+1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

9/1/2017
It's an early access game. The current saving and system is not FBG's final design goal, it is what they were able to code in time for the early access launch. This is not a matter of manual saving being unimplemented; it is a matter of manual saving waiting to be implemented after the higher priority features.

Death and legacies, and presumably manual saving, will be implemented once FBG has time to code a less bare-bones system.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+1 link