Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Early Speculation Messages in this topic - RSS

Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

7/14/2017
The forum has very strange laws. Only one spoiler per post, never doubleclick when posting a message...not too long ago the word kitchen was verboten.
--
edited by Sara Hysaro on 7/14/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
+3 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/14/2017
I'd say it is more limitations and less laws. Also, for context, kitchen was verboten because there's an unusually high concentration of kitchen spambots compared to all other subject matters.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+5 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/14/2017
Teaspoon wrote:
Given these requirements, I am not positive it is actually possible to create a perfectly balanced election.

But then, they never promised that London was *fair*.

Well, Feducci got less than 50% of the vote, so things are certainly moving in the right direction balance wise. If you have elections, there is always the possibility of one candidate winning with a big margin or just walking away with it, no matter how carefully things are arranged.

The one thing that elections are indisputably good at is giving minor, supporting or background characters with a political quality their hour to really shine. We know a whole lot more about the Contrarian, the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner, and the Detective than we did before their respective mayoral campaigns. Each now has a story that can be continued: the Contrarian's middle way, the Campaigner's relationship with John, and the Detective's Elder Continent and Fingerking investigations.

It might sting a little to see the fresh characters beaten by the more well known ones, but this could be alleviated by giving defeated candidates a second chance a few elections later. I mean, is there any reason why the Jovial Contrarian shouldn't get another go in London's third election? He managed 35% of the vote against Juggernaut Jenny, a very respectable showing, and as a character he seems tailor made to be a semi-perennial candidate. His contrarianism means his campaigns can have variety. The Campaigner is the same way, she has a long list of issues, so any future campaigns can focus on a different melange. This would provide some extra balance - the more well known candidates will probably win in the first election, but the fresh characters have their breakout moment and later, after they are more familiar, have a better shot at winning their second contest. This could be represented in-story by having them run better organized campaigns.

So, does anyone want to nominate the Contrarian for a second attempt?
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/14/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+6 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

7/14/2017
In the fifth mayoral election, I would like to see the winners of the first three square off.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
+5 link
Akernis
Akernis

7/15/2017
While it would be interesting to see all the losers / winners have another chance to square of in more equal circumstances, I would rather see new characters that hasn't tried for the mayoral campaign to get the spotlight so we can flesh out more of London's cast.
While I supported Feducci he was probably the weakest choice in terms of character development, as we didn't really learn much about him that we couldn't have surmised ourselves, whereas the others were much more blank slates that then got time to shine with intriguing revelations, the Campaigner and Contrarian especially so.
edited by Akernis on 7/16/2017

--
Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
+3 link
Morkan Kassington
Morkan Kassington

7/15/2017
Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
In the fifth mayoral election, I would like to see the winners of the first three square off.

Preferably on a bed, amirite

--
Ladies of the Neath, here comes Morkan Kassington, the gem among gentlemen
(He is actually a self-centered and foolish braggart, but he means no harm. Hit him up for social actions or dangerous lessons! Or just flirt.)
+4 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/18/2017
Morkan Kassington wrote:
Lady Sapho Byron wrote:

Preferably on a bed, amirite

I don't know, what if Slowcake really ended up being a candidate and won? Doesn't even exist...

--
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+2 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/18/2017
Estelle Knoht wrote:
I don't know, what if Slowcake really ended up being a candidate and won? Doesn't even exist...

He'd only be the biggest liar voted mayor by a rather small margin, anyways.

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/18/2017
Estelle Knoht wrote:

In preparation for the coming nominations thread, I've been working on a post making the full case for Mr Slowcake. Here's the section where I argue that Mr Slowcake's fictional existence is actually a boon, as the spy playing Mr. Slowcake would be giving us Mr. Slowcake in order to maintain his cover. So we'd get to see the spy and Mr. Slowcake as he would be if he were real.

Of course nonexistence might seem a pretty significant barrier for any mayoral candidate to overcome, but in a city of veteran spies and face tailors, is it really that much of an obstacle? Becoming Closest to the Great Game involves inventing a fictional retired spy/diplomat named Jebediah Crope and pretending to be him for months:

Jebediah's face is wax and his eyes are glass. His smell is a concoction of cheese and vinegar. His accent is impeccable, and a lie. You invented him. You lived as him for months, smiling with his lips, spinning his nostalgic yarns, widening his web. He is missed, when he suddenly disappears.

This leads to the third and most interesting group that Mr. Slowcake’s candidacy would involve: the players of the Great Game. In particular, the spies that serve the Surface Powers.

The Great Game is the one faction that has yet to have any role or involvement in a London election. True, Feducci is a spy for the Presbyterate and had “Game” in his slogan, but there was very little, if anything, of the Great Game about him. None of the Wilmot's End crowd was involved with him, he didn’t have any spies explicitly campaigning for him by being spies, Saint Joshua wasn’t anywhere to be seen, there were no contacts with the Old Man in Vienna, and Feducci’s platform had clear dueling theme as opposed to a chess theme (chess being the universal symbol of the Game). More importantly, the Great Game is rather selfless, in the sense that its devotees repeatedly sacrifice their identities, memories and individual selves for its collective realization (whatever that is). Feducci plays dress up with bandages, but he works solely for himself and clearly does not conceive of himself as a mere piece on a board. Nor has the false Tomb Colonist sacrificed his larger than life identity/self (quite the opposite really).

But then, a character who has “Great Game” as one of his primary identity would normally make a very tricky candidate, because if Mr. Spy is running for mayor as Mr. Spy then he’s doing it wrong. The ideal Great Game candidate would rather be someone who has, in their pursuit of the Game, completely subsumed themselves into a role, a deep cover, a persona - just like your character subsumed themselves into Jebediah Crope. So instead of the spy being the candidate, their cover would be the candidate. They’re not Mr. Spy, they’re Mr. Slowcake, revered master of London’s social scene.

The agent playing Slowcake, in perfectly maintaining his cover, would be doing everything expected of a master spy and everything expected of Mr Slowcake. We’d therefore be seeing Mr. Slowcake as his Devilish creators and his Society fans have imagined him. He would be a pure simulacra, a copy without an original, a map creating the territory. As a successful spy-actor would not let slip his true identity, he could therefore be anyone, and his own character would be of minor importance compared to the greater character he is playing. We could therefore have our Slowcake and eat it to.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/18/2017

--
+5 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/19/2017
Might as well throw in the Elusive Countess into the mix so we have two fabricated persona in running.

Now we just need a third, and we'd have an election where they all take "I am not actually who I claim to be" to the utter extreme!

--
+5 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

7/19/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
More importantly, the Great Game is rather selfless, in the sense that its devotees repeatedly sacrifice their identities, memories and individual selves for its collective realization (whatever that is).

They have a collective realization? Well, maybe they do. But I assume that it's the historical Great Game, and that the reason why it's not two or more factions is because we can't know for sure which side specific agents might be on, so they're all treated as a collective of potentially treacherous spies.
+1 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

7/19/2017
The Tiger Keeper.

"Cage The Enigmas"

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/19/2017
Estelle Knoht wrote:
Might as well throw in the Elusive Countess into the mix so we have two fabricated persona in running.

I have no idea or recollection of who that is. Um, help? ^_^

Gillsing wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
More importantly, the Great Game is rather selfless, in the sense that its devotees repeatedly sacrifice their identities, memories and individual selves for its collective realization (whatever that is).

They have a collective realization? Well, maybe they do. But I assume that it's the historical Great Game, and that the reason why it's not two or more factions is because we can't know for sure which side specific agents might be on, so they're all treated as a collective of potentially treacherous spies.

The collective realization is the sum total of the Game's moves, its gradual unfolding in history. The spies, when they aren't serving their various masters or agendas, are giving their secrets to Saint Joshua in order to keep the Game moving. In devoting oneself to the Great Game, one becomes the instrument through which forces greater than oneself act upon the world.

[spoiler]Such as the Judgments.
The Gentleman of the Bureau wrote:
His eyes are grave. "The Great Powers are always watching," he hisses. "Even here. Everything you've done, you chose to do. Remember: there is a sea more sunless."
[/spoiler]
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/20/2017

--
+3 link
Odin, All-father
Odin, All-father

7/20/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
I have no idea or recollection of who that is. Um, help? ^_^

The Elusive Countess is one of the possible victims you can choose to target with a heist. If you want to find out her secret save up 5 criminals favours and then head to the heist storylet in the Flit.
edited by Odin, All-father on 7/20/2017
+2 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/20/2017
Since she has literally no relevance to anything aside from being a mark, I guess it is fine to spoil here:

[spoiler]You bungle her house and discover that she is so active in socializing because it is four women taking turns to be a Countess with the other three playing servants.[/spoiler]

--
+4 link
gronostaj
gronostaj

7/20/2017
He doesn't even have a name but I'd love to see the catholic priest who tells you to drown people as a "penance" run, just to find out more abt him. London might be anglican in nature, but being catholic was never more fun. And I'd love to see Bishop of Southwark's reaction.

--
Gronostaj (pl. Ermine), a decadent duellist of mysterious and indistinct gender. Seeker. Willing to die- but not of boredom. Open to all social actions, including the harmful ones.
Soft-Spoken Surgeon, a doctor who owes an onerous debt. Professor of medicine at the University by day, at criminal employ by night. Open to all non-harmful social actions.
+1 link
WinterIV
WinterIV

7/20/2017
I would actually love Mr. Slowcake as a candidate. Especially if the halfway reveal turns out to be that the person who is claiming to be "Mr. Slowcake" is not someone backed by the devils that created him. It is simply someone claiming to be the candidate, but the devils certainly cannot come forward and say "You aren't Mr. Slowcake, we made him up!". They have somewhat backed themselves into a corner and given power to a person who is now claiming the role.

Who are they? What do they want?
+7 link
SirKwint
SirKwint

7/20/2017
dov wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
dov wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
I think she's too much like the Detective.

How so? She's the most notable chemist in the Neath, but besides that do you know her position on any of the city's social issues?

She's a logical older lady who delves the secrets of the Neath...

I wouldn't reduce her to just her gender and age. We have no idea about her politics and ambitions.

Just think about the Investigations / Flash Lays you could do, sneaking into her laboratory to find out what she's *really* putting into all those Tinctures of Vigor...

Or what does F.F. stand for!
Compelling Sir, your know how to motivate and agitate!
edited by SirKwint on 7/21/2017

--
Truly and honorably yours,
SirKwint

Curiosity killed a lot of cats. And counting...
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/21/2017
WinterIV wrote:
I would actually love Mr. Slowcake as a candidate. Especially if the halfway reveal turns out to be that the person who is claiming to be "Mr. Slowcake" is not someone backed by the devils that created him. It is simply someone claiming to be the candidate, but the devils certainly cannot come forward and say "You aren't Mr. Slowcake, we made him up!". They have somewhat backed themselves into a corner and given power to a person who is now claiming the role.

Who are they? What do they want?

Not knowing the full plan or who it's ultimately serving, only that it's big, is the very essence of the Great Game, is it not? The rooks know no more than the pawns.

btw, if anyone is interested in a portrait of the sort of spy who would take on the role of Mr. Slowcake and play the part to perfection, I've made a thread on this collective Great Game character over at the Salon.

--
+1 link
Kowth
Kowth

4/26/2018
The Bishop of Southwark. Full, expansionist re-invasion of Hell. This time, London’s performance depends on the collective might of the players. Or maybe they’ll let players side with Hell. Or a third side, such as the Presbyter or the Tigers, (more likely someone who’s neutral, like the New Sequence or pirates or something) will render assistance to the losing side if it gets too lopsided or rob both sides, etc.
+2 link