Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Early Speculation Messages in this topic - RSS

WinterIV
WinterIV

7/13/2017
Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
Gillsing wrote:
WinterIV wrote:
The hardest part isn't picking a character, it is picking three characters who are on even footing. As we learned this year, name recognition is a beast of a boost to votes. Also, we proved that people who actually have names tend to be better remembered (see both Jenny and Feducci)

Nothing has been proven. Correlation is not causation, and with only two elections so far, it could have been mere coincidence that the named candidates won.

Too, we all know the Bishop of Southwark's name is
[spoiler]Reginald[/spoiler]

I would bet cold hard echoes that half the people on this forum don't know that, let alone casual players.

And true, nothing is set in cold hard stone and our data set is very small. It is a theory that lines up so far. Maybe it will be disproven next year?
+6 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

7/13/2017
Sir Joseph Marlen wrote:
As for the latter...what about our Aunt? Your Aunt. My Aunt. The cumulative concept of our Aunt has come back to the Neath to haunt us and make our lives more of a hell than they already were with her fresh Surface politics. We've already seen her work borderline-diplomatic work during our time as governor of Port Carnelian, so it isn't too much of a stretch.
Port Carnelian? Some people sure get around. Last I heard from my Aunt she was off to the Brass Embassy to sell her soul or something. I suppose the Devils could want her as their loyal Mayor?
+1 link
Jeremy Avalon
Jeremy Avalon

7/13/2017
Here's a terrible idea for candidates:

Edie, Myrtle, and Lily.

Here's an even worse idea:

Snake, Red Bird, and Cat.

--
How we must glow; yes, I bet we look like snow.
+2 link
Akernis
Akernis

7/13/2017
Why do people keep saying that 'X' will be a landslide? Do we have any sort of ideas of what and who are popular amongst the casual player base which will carry those 98% of the weight? Or are these purely speculations based on what is fairly popular on the forums?

I mean, for instance rubberies might be hugely popular with some people on the forum (and even here I get the feeling it is less one-sided than some people seem to think it is) but have we ever had official statistics about the opinions of those who aren't dedicated lore experts likes those of us who come here?

--
Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
+3 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/13/2017
How about The Tentacled Entrepreneur; Lyme and Madam Shoshana

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/lady%20ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
+2 link
dov
dov

7/13/2017
Akernis wrote:
Why do people keep saying that 'X' will be a landslide?

People are mostly projecting based on their own preferences and inclinations.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+3 link
dov
dov

7/13/2017
lady ciel wrote:
How about The Tentacled Entrepreneur; Lyme and Madam Shoshana

How about Cynthia / Lucy / Phoebe ?
:-)

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/13/2017
I can't see the sisters leaving Hunter's Keep.

As people were saying they would like to see a Rubbery or Clayman candidate I thought of which ones would be recognisable. Nearly everyone will encounter Lyme; any one who attends the party will have met the Tentacled Entrepreneur and I thought adding Madame Shoshana as the third candidate would be fun.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/lady%20ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
+3 link
dov
dov

7/13/2017
lady ciel wrote:
I can't see the sisters leaving Hunter's Keep.

Oh, I wasn't really serious...

Just something that came to me thinking of triplets who would play well against each other.

--
+2 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/13/2017
I'm just gonna point out that they're not triplets due to being different ages. I know what you meant, and I know you knew that, but someone's going to point it out and it's gonna be me.

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+2 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

7/13/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
I think the job of the writers is a bit more difficult than picking three balanced and interesting candidates.

First, they have to pick candidates who make sense in-universe, who would want and be able to serve as Mayor. The character has to logically fit the role.

This is something I keep thinking about and I can only come up with a relatively short list of characters fitting this criterion ... although I'm sure I'm missing some and other folks may have different interpretations.

Mrs Plenty: Being mayor, or even just running for mayor, would be a great boon for her business: campaign rallies at the Carnival!

Dr Orthos: I don’t think there’s much text to support this, but I imagine him as one who relishes attention and authority. Being mayor would bring him both.

Molly: She could do a great deal of good for Urchins (or at least for the Regiment) as mayor.

The Kind-Hearted Widow: Her platform would have many of the planks Jenny and the DTC adopted.

Devil of Your Choosing: As mayor, she or he could do so much to help people shed their burdensome souls.

The Turkish Girl: She likes to run. (Sorry, I couldn’t resist the joke. To me there’s actually nothing about her character that suggests an interest in being mayor.)

The Northbound Parliamentarian: She’s got a mission and a message! And she’s already in politics.

Political Tigress: I have a mayorship. Do you have a mayorship?

The Ambitious Barrister: She’s … well … ambitious.

The Last Constable: Her campaign would be similar to the Implacable Detectives, without, I hope, the whiff of authoritarianism.

Two others might be:

His Amused Lordship: Although he would have a rollicking good time being mayor, he seems, to me, to prefer wielding power behind the scenes.

Mr Huffam: Possible ... but I think he’d rather make the news than be it.

• edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 7/13/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
  • +3 link
    Gillsing
    Gillsing

7/13/2017
    Akernis wrote:
    Why do people keep saying that 'X' will be a landslide? Do we have any sort of ideas of what and who are popular amongst the casual player base which will carry those 98% of the weight? Or are these purely speculations based on what is fairly popular on the forums?

I mean, for instance rubberies might be hugely popular with some people on the forum (and even here I get the feeling it is less one-sided than some people seem to think it is) but have we ever had official statistics about the opinions of those who aren't dedicated lore experts likes those of us who come here?

Some people seem to believe a Rubbery Candidate would get almost all of the votes, but that's probably not the case. It could be a lot less one-sided than that, and the Rubbery candidate would still win with about half the votes. I base that on Rubbery Men being the most 'Fallen London' thing ever. And players of Fallen London probably like things that are unique to Fallen London. So it seems reasonable that candidates who show a lot of 'Fallen London' would have quite the edge compared to candidates who mainly have certain platforms.

But of course, it would make a lot of sense if second class citizens wouldn't be allowed to run for Mayor, simply because the main populace consists of 'invisible' NPCs who according to canon would not vote inhuman creatures into such elevated positions. After all, if they liked Rubbery Men as much as the players seem to do, Rubbery Men would be cherished, and merely shaking 'hands' with them would not give a player 3 CP of Scandal. So I believe that the election will never have a canon Rubbery Candidate, because the entire campaign staff would be immediately exiled to the Tomb-Colonies.

When it comes to specific named characters I don't really know how popular any of them really are, and I'm not convinced that 'name recognition' matters that much. I know who Mrs Plenty is, but aside from the Carnival she's mostly a purveyor of inadequate rubbery lumps as far as I'm concerned. Not necessarily Mayor material in my book. It is a bit 'Fallen London' though, to sell something like that, so it gets her some points on that scale, starting somewhere in real life (where the players are), then going through supernatural fiction, and finishing somewhere in Fallen London for maximum points, since that's where the player characters are, and that's the destination that the real life players choose when they play the game.
    +5 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

7/13/2017
    I could see Chuffy or one of the other Stags running "for a lark" in the mould of Screaming Lord Sutch or Lord Buckethead.

--
    "Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
    +4 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/13/2017
    I want Jeremy for mayor, and at first he's being guided by the Campaigner and sort of just a front for her, but then he gets his confidence second week of the election and starts making his own priorities... and she's totally okay with that and supports him.

Okay so maybe I just want to see more Campaigner being the best character in FL.

--
    A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
    +3 link
    Jeremy Avalon
    Jeremy Avalon

7/13/2017
    I'm flattered, but I don't think I'll be announcing my candidacy at this time.

Oh, wait.

I'd be interested in the Barbed Wit as a mayoral candidate, actually.

--
    How we must glow; yes, I bet we look like snow.
    +9 link
    gronostaj
    gronostaj

7/13/2017
    Jeremy Avalon wrote:
    I'd be interested in the Barbed Wit as a mayoral candidate, actually.

oh man, me too. Just imagine the debates!

--
    Gronostaj (pl. Ermine), a decadent duellist of mysterious and indistinct gender. Seeker. Willing to die- but not of boredom. Open to all social actions, including the harmful ones.
    Soft-Spoken Surgeon, a doctor who owes an onerous debt. Professor of medicine at the University by day, at criminal employ by night. Open to all non-harmful social actions.
    +3 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/13/2017
    Okay, yeah, I'd get behind this.

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/13/2017
    Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
    Molly: She could do a great deal of good for Urchins (or at least for the Regiment) as mayor.

I suspect that children can't actually be mayor, for a lot of reasons.

But isn't the Regiment's official Commander (who gets on very well with Molly) an adult? I think we rescued him in the Chimney Pot Wars. He had a mustache?

Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
    The Kind-Hearted Widow: Her platform would have many of the planks Jenny and the DTC adopted.

It would certainly be interesting seeing such a thoroughly kind and gentle person get involved in London politics. But...am I the only one worried for her if she did? upset The poor woman felt incredible guilt when one of her lodgers left without saying anything and we know this because she thought it worthy of a Hallowmas confession...
    Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
    Devil of Your Choosing: As mayor, she or he could do so much to help people shed their burdensome souls.

One of the advantages of Mr. Slowcake is that he is literally all the Brass Embassy Devils ^_^

Investigating Mr. Slowcake wrote:
    Mr Slowcake is a fiction. Specifically, he is the invention of a cabal of devils. It takes all your skill to tear through the misdirections and subterfuges, but you are convinced. The force behind Slowcake's Exceptionals is the Brass Embassy. Of course, this raises more questions than it answers.

edited by Anne Auclair on 7/13/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    +2 link
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Sir Joseph Marlen

7/13/2017
    Isaac Zienfried wrote:
    Okay, yeah, I'd get behind this.

Many players from the Court already have. wink
    edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 7/14/2017

--
    Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
    Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
    Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
    Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
    +5 link
    Lady Sapho Byron
    Lady Sapho Byron

7/13/2017
    Lady Sapho Byron wrote:

Anne Auclair wrote:
    I suspect that children can't actually be mayor, for a lot of reasons.

This may very well be true. Although recent events suggest mayoral qualifications are exceptionally lax ...

Lady Sapho Byron wrote:

Anne Auclair wrote:
    It would certainly be interesting seeing such a thoroughly kind and gentle person get involved in London politics. But...am I the only one worried for her if she did? upset The poor woman felt incredible guilt when one of her lodgers left without saying anything and we know this because she thought it worthy of a Hallowmas confession...

And yet she has a K&C connection ... I would be interested in seeing this apparent contradiction explored as part of her candidacy.

• edited by Lady Sapho Byron on 7/13/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
  • +4 link