Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1895: Polls Leaked! Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse

7/3/2017
Polls leaked! Feducci gallops ahead, but will his arrogance be his undoing? The Detective trails behind. Will purging her ranks of the corrupt and brutal give room for new support? And though the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner holds her course, her chances seem slim; but now that the pariahs of London society have found self-belief and speak of her old kindnesses, might there be an unexpected swell of support before the end of Election?

Today marks the halfway point of the 1895 Election. You may find that the final week of Election has a few surprises up its sleeve.

Starting today, our newest electoral social activity, Debates, will begin. This new mode of competitive play will allow players another way of further empowering their vote from 10 up to 15. Challenge those who support a different candidate to your own via the Organising a Political Debate card, available throughout London.

Also, this Wednesday 5th July, poses to be a day full of excitement. One of the goals of the Fallen London Reworks project is to experiment and improve social actions within Fallen London. Debates, for example, is one of the experiments. The 5th of July will be another:

On this day, for a 24 hour period (from 12:00pm-12:00pm BST), Agitators will be able to target anyone who has the quality Notorious. Starting from today, Persons of Some Importance have a chance of gaining this quality any time they complete either a Election Flash Lay or a Case. If a player becomes marked, they can then become a target of an Agitator during this period.

However, players can only be denoted as Notorious once. If you complete multiple Election Flash Lays or Cases, you will not gain any more Notoriety. After you are targeted by a Mob, you will lose your Notoriety, meaning you cannot be targeted again. If you complete another Election Flash Lay or Case during this 24 hour period, however, you will be eligible for another attack.

The data from this experiment will allow us to adjust and improve social activities for the next Election.

With only a week left in the Election, our three daring candidates will need all your support!

Posters are also still available on Gametee until 31st of July!
edited by Absintheuse on 7/3/2017
edited by Absintheuse on 7/3/2017
+9 link
dov
dov

7/3/2017
Feducci had (and still has) a significant advantage just based on name recognition:
  • He's the only candidate identified by his name, and not a descriptive title
  • He's the most well known to players, given his significant past interactions with the player character.

A known candidate has a distinct advantage over an unknown one, before even bringing policy and character into it.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+8 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/3/2017
To some extent I think Agaitators have been at a disadvantage so far. As far as I can tell there are fewer agitators overall, they can only have one mob after them at a time and quite often there is nobody available to mob. Then they need to play Flash Lays to get election resources and cannot do so if they have a mob after them. This opportunity balances things by allowing, for a very short time, Agitators to target anybody with a quality that is removed once they have been mobbed.

Campaigners have been able to ask anybody else supporting the same candidate for resources; Fixers have been able to help anybody on their side who needed Scandal or Suspicion dealt with. I think it only fair to allow Agitators a chance and maybe they need this to be able to get Influencing the Election up to 10.

Edit - Failbetter have the numbers and I am sure they wouldn't do this without a good reason.
edited by reveurciel on 7/3/2017

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/lady%20ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
+7 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/3/2017
There are about a million people who want to debate me. That's the downside of sending letters to everyone. Also, I can't put my finger on it, but I suspect more than a few Agitator's have me marked down for their day of rage.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+7 link
Hark DeGaul
Hark DeGaul

7/4/2017
I think the completion phase should be simplified. Especially if you're debating someone who is not in your timezone it could take three days to complete a single debate just because someone needs to press the 'Debate' button, which is a pain because you can't perform multiple debates at once.

Maybe something more like the old Knife and Candle mechanic would be useful, where you can set stances and then outcomes are somewhat random.

--
The Dawn-Eyed Optician: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hark%20DeGaul

That Vicar Who Ruined the Royal Wedding for Everyone (including himself): http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hebediah%20Fix

The Dreaded Relative: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Your%20Aunt
+6 link
Omega8520
Omega8520

7/3/2017
I'm not going to lie, I don't understand the point of the Notoriety feature. Having a PVP system that provides menaces is great when it's opt in. Having it so that "Hey, you're working on the festival we've given you. Great, you're now a target, have fun." isn't quite so much. People who're playing the election and are avoiding the PVP side of things are still going to get hit unless they avoid doing the major parts of the election for three days. Making the opt-in for a PVP system half of an event just seems to me like you're punishing the rest of the playerbase for not picking Agitator, as for a day they're getting the downsides without being able to fire back.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Omega8520
A Correspondent of measure and restraint, not-withstanding a tendancy to rush into things.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Menacing%20Seeker
Northwards with Noman. At least they'll have company.
+5 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
Judging Eagle wrote:
The fact that the clear forerunner in this election was clear from the start; only goes to show how humans tend to think in elections: popularity over anything else. Also, little sense of a personal moral compass.

To be entirely fair, much of this is in-character. I think a lot of people have characters with decidedly fewer morals than the people playing them do. Fallen London is in many ways a cesspool of villainy, and the success of a villain shouldn't be too shocking when he promises other villains a means to prosper.

Judging their tastes as actual people beyond the game is a dangerous proposition (not that I haven't been plenty guilty of it), but judging their morality is even moreso. Feel free to gripe with me about how Feducci supporters have bad taste, as long as we're careful, but judging their personal out-of-character morality is a bad idea.

At the end of the day, Charles Lamb put it well:
"I confess for myself that (with no great delinquencies to answer for) I am glad for a season to take an airing beyond the diocese of the strict conscience, not to live always in the precincts of the law-courts, but now and then, for a dream-whim or so, to imagine a world with no meddling restriction -- to get into recesses, whither the hunter cannot follow me. I come back to my cage and my restraint the fresher and more healthy for it. I wear my shackles more contentedly for having respired the breath of an imaginary freedom."

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+5 link
mezzocarattere
mezzocarattere

7/3/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
There are about a million people who want to debate me. That's the downside of sending letters to everyone. .

Chivioletta is chomping at the bit to poke questionable holes in Anne's argument, mostly because she likes to drink. Chivioletta's player (me) is really, really impressed with your letter-writing campaign, and chuckled upon reading this. Maybe the Feducci voters of London should form a queue at Anne's place. Or I guess we already have.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/chivioletta
Charmer, hedonist, Game-player, devil-friend, privately talented. All positive social interactions welcomed; negatives please carry some flavor text to make up for the sting.
+4 link
Jenson Shepherd
Jenson Shepherd

7/3/2017
dov wrote:
Feducci had (and still has) a significant advantage just based on name recognition:
  • He's the only candidate identified by his name, and not a descriptive title
  • He's the most well known to players, given his significant past interactions with the player character.

A known candidate has a distinct advantage over an unknown one, before even bringing policy and character into it.

Yeah. As with last year, as soon as the the candidates were announced it was clear who the winner would be.

Basically most popular NPC will win regardless of manifesto.

--
Proud member of Club Hesperidean
+4 link
Blaine Davidson
Blaine Davidson

7/3/2017
I always found it odd that Agitators could not send mobs against players who were not Agitators.

While I do not look forward to incoming mobs, I do look forward to this additional mechanic.

--
Blaine Davidson, a reserved and sensible woman with a fondness of collecting rarities.
+4 link
IHNIWTR
IHNIWTR

7/3/2017
I wonder if Failbetter keeps track of how many people actually change their vote.

I'd imagine not many.

Even without a penalty to your level, most people have already committed themselves, mentally, to a candidate, and they'll vote for that person pretty much regardless of whatever evidence or events come up during the campiagn.

This is why I said initial presentation is so important - Feducci's introductory two line blurb is the only one that mentioned the poor; the campaigner came off as fussy and the detective as frightening. So most people aligned themselves with Fedduci and that's that.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daniel%20Vaise
+4 link
SirKwint
SirKwint

7/3/2017
Actually, only now election careers became balanced and the whole system - self-sustaining. As people gather election resources, the get attacked by Agitators, and after fending off mob players ask Fixers for help. Everyone have a task and there is potential for an organized teamwork. (Previously campaigners were pretty self-sufficient, and agitators had no point in harassing agitators only).

That actually makes it harder and more pricy to promote your candidate, which I believe is good! No easy victories - earn them the hard way! smile

--
Truly and honorably yours,
SirKwint

Curiosity killed a lot of cats. And counting...
+3 link
Mallachi
Mallachi

7/3/2017
After first round of debates I can say that it's really interesting idea - I will surely make use of it in coming days.

Nevertheless the “chess by mail” aspect of it (one person sends invite other responds x 3 for one debate) could prove problematic – especially if one accepts first invite before e.g. going to bed. Then the other debater must wait for god knows how long to progress and cannot start new arguments! I understand that it is a feature devised so we cannot spam everyone with debate invitations, but still I think that it could be less harsh.

I think that by lowering the amount of steps (responses) required by each debate or allowing for e.g. three concurrent debates we could still have good system without too much spam and one that allows for more fun.
edited by Mallachi on 7/3/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mallachi
Calling Cards and social actions welcome.
+3 link
An Individual
An Individual

7/3/2017
Mallachi wrote:
After first round of debates I can say that it's really interesting idea - I will surely make use of it in coming days.

Nevertheless the “chess by mail” aspect of it (one person sends invite other responds x 3 for one debate) could prove problematic – especially if one accepts first invite before e.g. going to bed. Then the other debater must wait for god knows how long to progress and cannot start new arguments! I understand that it is a feature devised so we cannot spam everyone with debate invitations, but still I think that it could be less harsh.

I think that by lowering the amount of steps (responses) required by each debate or allowing for e.g. three concurrent debates we could still have good system without too much spam and one that allows for more fun.
edited by Mallachi on 7/3/2017

The old moon league used similar mechanics and ran into similar problems with timing and non-concurrent combat. That wasn't such a big issue as there was no pressing time limit and no penalty for withdrawing if it was taking too long. That's a bit trickier here as we only have a week to complete everything and, while I haven't tried it, I suspect you get a benefit if your opponent withdraws.

Timing problems aside, I'm still glad to see some innovation on the social front and look forward to engaging in some political rock, paper, scissors.

--
An Individual's Profile
The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away.
Goat Farming or Cider Brewing? This browser extension may help.
Want a Cider sip? Please refer to this guide before requesting.
Scholaring the Correspondence? A Brief Guide to Courier's Footprint.
Contemplating Oblivion? First Steps on the Seeking Road.
Gone NORTH? Opened the gate? Throw your character in a well.
+2 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
SirKwint wrote:
No easy victories - earn them the hard way! smile

Why would you set me up like that? Why do you tempt me? Anne's already on my case about being snarky at people, and you provide me with the perfect opportunity to do it! Mean!

--
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
+2 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

7/3/2017
I am the flagship of my party, and I shall drown in a sea of agitators.

Let them come, I say.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+2 link
dov
dov

7/3/2017
IHNIWTR wrote:
as an aside, a way to incorporate actual debate into the game in an unavoidable manner (say, put in another fluff box to the side where players can submit short lines or paragraphs trying to "win" other players over, after those are reviewed by a FBG staffer) might be the best way to actually sway votes

Interesting in theory, but I highly doubt FBG have the staff to spare for reviewing this all messages and approving them.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
Hark DeGaul
Hark DeGaul

7/3/2017
A horrifying turn of events! Your Aunt must have words with Mr Huffman about the clear advantages of pro-Temperance ballot stuffing.

--
The Dawn-Eyed Optician: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hark%20DeGaul

That Vicar Who Ruined the Royal Wedding for Everyone (including himself): http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hebediah%20Fix

+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

7/3/2017
Good point about the Agitators being in their own little bubble here. I'm playing one of each role on my 3 characters and I can attest to the feeling of frustration and isolation on that account.

--
Profiles: Shally, Chimes & Jack~of~Smiles . . . Current Goal:
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/3/2017
I'd say this turn of events is fairly good news for the Temperance Campaigner. We knew she was third, if only because quite a few of her supporters joined in the last two to three days and didn't have much election career (there was break in late deciders towards us). But she's not that far behind, she's picked up Jenny's endorsement, and she's campaigning for the Clay Men and the Rubberies. Also, Chuffy's her grandson, so how puritanical can the Campaigner really be?

I think we're going to get more votes and support. I think we have momentum.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+2 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/3/2017
I would say it is safe to play. You won't lose progress but, depending on the choices your opponent makes, you might get menaces (and I think there is one option that will protect you from that). There is also an opportunity to back out of the debate.

--

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

+2 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

7/3/2017
It's basically rock-paper-scissors, with a few extra elements thrown in. Feel free to try it out - there's pretty much no risk and you'll gain a little progress even if you lose.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
+2 link
Artful
Artful

7/4/2017
Artful wrote:
Debates take too many remote-synchronized actions for rock-paper-scissors. Seems like the prep work could be done all at once without waiting for both parties to respond.

I also think that having heavily social interactions combined with increasing flash lay appeal works at cross purposes. I am curious how many of my fixer offers were not actionable to people while I was off running a con game.

I would not recommend incentivising both social actions and activities that prohibit interaction. From a user's perspective, having messages one cannot acknowledge can be frustrating and/or confusing.

--
A Penultimate Paramount Presence waiting for the ability to overcap stats before crossing the threshold.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Artful
+2 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

7/4/2017
Someone is dislike-spreeing this thread for absolutely no reason.

Props to that person. You're a real go-getter.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

7/5/2017
I definitely agree that having high volume London-only social actions does not mix well with such demanding non-London mechanics (Flash Lay).

Perhaps, like Investigating a Case, just make it IN London, mechanically.

If that's not possible because of the infinite deck restriction.. then make the Debates interactive in Flash-ville!

edited by Shalinoth on 7/5/2017

--
+2 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager

7/5/2017
The debates are not great as it is. There's an awful lot of needing to hope the other person is going to be around for the entirety of the chain of events. ANd you can't do more than one at once, so you might find yourself waiting quite a while if you accept one.

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+2 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

7/5/2017
I've been enjoying the RP in most of my debates, which keeps them fun even if the timing isn't always ideal. Something that has come up many times is a strange agreement with the other person that the third candidate is just dreadful.

I would love if there was some kind of coalition outcome of this, but I doubt it's been considered as a possibility.

--
+2 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/4/2017
Anchovies wrote:
If I'm out of the city (at a certain exceptional tomb-colony, for example) for the entirety of the 5th, is there a chance that I'll have to deal with a mob upon returning to London?

From what I understand of it so far, I don't believe so.

--
+1 link
dov
dov

7/4/2017
Hark DeGaul wrote:
Having done a little experiment with my brother I think the maximum you can get is 1350 (two campaigners both inviting interested parties and the victor using an argument that appeals to the judges). Loser gets 100 as a baseline and Campaigners appear to add 25 to this each for a total of 150.

Two campaigners inviting guests with the loser using an argument that the judges favour (defamatory for the Victulars) appears to give the loser 225 and the victor 900 so I'd guess that's the formula you used.

I've experimented a bit more, and here are my current conclusions on the formula:

Base:
  • Win: 600
  • Lose: 100
  • Draw: 200

Modifiers (these stack):
  • Argument favourable to hosts: +50%
  • Campaigner tactic: +50% (applied once, even if both chose this)
  • Agitator tactic: -20% (needs more experiments, but seems to hold)

Examples:
  • Win with a favourable argument: 900 for winner (600 x 1.5) / 100 for loser
  • Win with a favourable argument + inviting donor: 1350 for winner (600 x 1.5 x 1.5) / 150 for loser (100 x 1.5)
  • Draw with favourable arguments: 300 for each (200 x 1.5)
  • Draw with favourable arguments + inviting donor: 450 for each (200 x 1.5 x 1.5)
  • Winner used Agitator tactics: 600 for winner, 80 for loser (100 * 0.8)

--
+1 link
Suhe Gul
Suhe Gul

7/4/2017
inviting a donor and winning with a favourable argument is giving me only 1125 if I win and 125 if I lose. but my opponent is not a campaigner so only one donor.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/suhe%20gul
I am open to social actions except affluent photographer and loitering.
Correspondent and willing to make orphanage calls.
Want a sip of cider? http://community.failbettergames.com/topic20425-want-a-sip-of-hesperidean-cider-heres-how.aspx
+1 link
dov
dov

7/4/2017
Suhe Gul wrote:
inviting a donor and winning with a favourable argument is giving me only 1125 if I win and 125 if I lose. but my opponent is not a campaigner so only one donor.

Hmmm I'll need to test this further...

This result matches a 50% increase (over the case 600) from the favorable argument, and 25% on top of that for the Campaigner donors.
edited by dov on 7/4/2017

--
+1 link
Shalinoth
Shalinoth

7/4/2017
Such baroque numbers. Who knew politics could be so complicated?

--
+1 link
Jolanda Swan
Jolanda Swan

7/3/2017
WHERE does the storylet open? I have accepted a debate, and now I cannot move it forward anywhere. I have another invitation in my messages (from the same person) and I cannot open it because supposedly, I am already in a debate.

--
Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
+1 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/3/2017
Robin Alexander wrote:
Ah, thanks guys smile

That's a huge relief to know smile

Edit: Moot point anyway, as it won't let me respond XD
edited by Robin Alexander on 7/3/2017

As far as I can tell people can send out more than one invitation to a debate so probably someone else accepted (or they are somewhere outside London). The only thing you can do is keep checking

--

+1 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

7/3/2017
dov wrote:
IHNIWTR wrote:
as an aside, a way to incorporate actual debate into the game in an unavoidable manner (say, put in another fluff box to the side where players can submit short lines or paragraphs trying to "win" other players over, after those are reviewed by a FBG staffer) might be the best way to actually sway votes

Interesting in theory, but I highly doubt FBG have the staff to spare for reviewing this all messages and approving them.

They do have a Twitter account that retweet players election comments, so a frame might work?

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+1 link
Absintheuse
Absintheuse

7/3/2017
It is most certainly a bug - we're looking into it now, thanks!
+1 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

7/3/2017
About debates would it be possible to know if it is your turn on the story tab instead of everything playing out in the message tab after that first invitation to debate.

--

+1 link
Hark DeGaul
Hark DeGaul

7/3/2017
suinicide wrote:
But she's losing?

Why bother ballot stuffing for a candidate who is already winning?

--

+1 link
heavensdark
heavensdark

7/3/2017
This new interests me more than I thought it would. I am also more active in this election than last year's. With that said, if anyone would like to debate me, send a request. I will gladly accept. But be warned, I am a Feducci supporter.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/heavensdark
+1 link
BlabberingMat
BlabberingMat

7/3/2017
Good to hear that Feducci is in advantage! Only a week to go now! If anyone wants to debate me, feel free to send a request!

--
Alt-Lana Loter
Main-Always Drunk Slav

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in wild flowers.
To hold an infinity in palm of hand and Eternity in an hour”

Finally, I am Crooked Cross! Feel free to send invitations for Salon!
As of June 5th, 1895, I am London's newest Legendary Charisma!

The current progress in Mega Soul Grind: 53727/1 639 121 Souls
+1 link
SirKwint
SirKwint

7/3/2017
Infinity Simulacrum wrote:
I am the flagship of my party, and I shall drown in a sea of agitators.

Let them come, I say.

So, as someone has suggested earlier, well-known people risk at finding themselves dead, insane AND in jail in the same time. smile
I would not let my imagination tell me how and in which order this can practically happen for the saek of not joining poor fellas in their state of mind.

--
Truly and honorably yours,
SirKwint

Curiosity killed a lot of cats. And counting...
+1 link
Hark DeGaul
Hark DeGaul

7/4/2017
Having won and lost a few debates I think you may actually have to complete more like between ten and fifty to get all five levels (assuming 1000 donations gives one level and you get 531 for winning and 100 for losing), which is a little horrifying.

--

+1 link
dov
dov

7/4/2017
The debate mechanics are... complex (some needlessly so).

To the best of my understanding, this is how it works:

Initiation phase (2 social actions):
  • Player A sends a debate offer
  • Player B accepts (sets A's Readying Yourself to Debate to 1)
  • --> Game selects venue??

Preparation phase (4 social actions):
  • Player A selects tactic (sets B's Readying Yourself to Debate to 1)
  • Player B selects tactic (sets A's Readying Yourself to Debate to 2)
  • Player A selects argument style (sets B's Readying Yourself to Debate to 2)
  • Player B selects argument style (sets A's Readying Yourself to Debate to 3)

Completion phase (2 social actions):
  • Player A engages in Debate (sets B's Readying Yourself to Debate to 4!), and sees their results (rewards, menaces, etc.). This also applies the results to Player B, but without any message!
  • Player B checks the debate results (this resets all debate qualities for both parties, including A Debate Partner). No debate rewards/menaces are actually shown, since they were applied in the previous step done by Player A.

edited by dov on 7/4/2017

--
+1 link
Artful
Artful

7/3/2017
Debates take too many remote-synchronized actions for rock-paper-scissors. Seems like the prep work could be done all at once without waiting for both parties to respond.

--
A Penultimate Paramount Presence waiting for the ability to overcap stats before crossing the threshold.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Artful
+1 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
I have to agree. I just checked my email for work-related purposes and realized that two debates practically stuffed my inbox with notifications. I could turn those off, but I like an email on my phone saying "so-and-so wants a donation."

--
+1 link
Siankan
Siankan

7/3/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
To be entirely fair, much of this is in-character. I think a lot of people have characters with decidedly fewer morals than the people playing them do. Fallen London is in many ways a cesspool of villainy, and the success of a villain shouldn't be too shocking when he promises other villains a means to prosper.

The game rather promotes it. The bulk of the writing assumes your character to be a snarky bugger working chiefly in his or her (or... whatever's) own self-interest with little more than occasional pangs of conscience to sully the works. Playing a character with any significant moral integrity requires ignoring or mentally retconning a great deal of text.

--
Prof. Sian Kan, at your service.
+1 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
Siankan wrote:
Playing a character with any significant moral integrity requires ignoring or mentally retconning a great deal of text.

Can confirm. Although I justify it as my character having, as my signature states, "complicated" morality.

Sure I moonlight as a master thief, but I mostly steal from devils.

--
+1 link
Judging Eagle
Judging Eagle

7/3/2017
The fact that the clear forerunner in this election was clear from the start; only goes to show how humans tend to think in elections: popularity over anything else. Also, little sense of a personal moral compass.

While I was initially a supporter for Feducci I didn't remain as such. After reading and investigating him and the others; it was obvious that this bid for election is an other scheme to arrange greater and more elaborate betting pools for Feducci to profit from (helping the disenfranchised is a cover or a side-bonus, if that).

I ended up picking the candidate that is most like the existing mayor; concerned with those most vulnerable to exploitation.

Supporting the existing power structures like the Police won't accomplish that, b/c if the Police were any good, they would be preventing the causes of crime instead of simply chasing suspicious characters until they are "super suspicious" around the labyrinth of London.

Which left me picking a candidate that I've can't recall hearing of before.
+1 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
Jenson Shepherd wrote:
Yeah. As with last year, as soon as the the candidates were announced it was clear who the winner would be.

It does make the Election events a little silly, since as soon as you have all three choices anyone with any awareness can say who the winner's going to be.

Still, it means that the accomplishments of those of us who didn't take the easy bet are that much more impressive. Feducci supporters are much like their candidate: feigning valor while taking a bet rigged in their favor.

--
+1 link