Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

a poll to see if people are enjoying the election! Messages in this topic - RSS

are you enjoying the election so far?.

1 hell yea! its great having something to devote my self to outside the daily grind! :61
2 i am as well debating is great fun! :19
3 nope i hate flash laying and the social mechanics :16
4 also nope all this debating and arguing is giving me a headace:15
babelfishwars
babelfishwars

7/3/2017
A Wild Moderator Appears!

Hello delicious ones - I've created a new forum for the election. Please can election posts be kept to there. And please do keep to our customary levels of politeness (even at the expense of roleplaying: fun and manners first, please) - we have the best fans and the best forum of all the games and I'll fight anyone who suggests otherwise, but let's keep it that way. Primarily this is for having fun, and if people stop having fun, we'll be sad. Or grumpy. It's a toss of a coin with me, really...

Thanks!

- Olivia
edited by babelfishwars on 7/3/2017

--
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
+6 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/3/2017
Definitely for the best.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+1 link
Thistlewhomp
Thistlewhomp

7/3/2017
I have been enjoying this far more than in the past. I've been an on-again, off-again Delicious Friend, and I'm normally a pretty solitary player, so it's been great so see the few people on my contact list sending me messages and interacting with them. I really hope future events add this element into the game. I've been considering abandoning it all together, but this has renewed my enthusiasm considerably.
0 link
crazyroosterman
crazyroosterman

7/3/2017
Thistlewhomp wrote:
I have been enjoying this far more than in the past. I've been an on-again, off-again Delicious Friend, and I'm normally a pretty solitary player, so it's been great so see the few people on my contact list sending me messages and interacting with them. I really hope future events add this element into the game. I've been considering abandoning it all together, but this has renewed my enthusiasm considerably.
same here though I haven't had much luck agitating or campaigning(though my influence was already huge when I started that) so im probably going to switch back to switcher it suits my character the most (he's pretty far removed from the violent and volatile behaviour your characters shown to engage in as an agitator)

• 0 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
    Kaijyuu wrote:
    If there ever is a rubbery candidate they're immediately getting my vote.

Good news, the DTC is pro-Rubbery, albeit not one herself.

--
    Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
    A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
    But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
    +1 link
    Zack Oak
    Zack Oak

7/3/2017
    Real talk, no. The way the content rolls out is not intuitive at all, the clear disparity in profession options' effectiveness, and the genuine ugliness it's brought out in the forums are not fun. I'm getting invites for social actions I can't complete, there’s no balance for people with alt accounts, and I'm waiting for the whole thing to be over. Unless fixers get redesigned into something workable, it's reluctantly playing a campaigner for the rest of the years that follow, because being an agitator is just an exercise in stopping others from playing.

--
    Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
    Tumblr RP Account
    Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
    Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
    +1 link
    Jeremy Avalon
    Jeremy Avalon

7/4/2017
    As an extreme late-game player who's busy grinding Cider I'm definitely an anomaly, but, well, feedback is feedback? I guess?

It's fairly easy to ignore outlier forum posts, at any rate; they don't show up in the support system like bug reports.

Anyway, I did last year's Election, and I'm currently sitting at Agitator 16, Notability 9, and Influence 10, and here's my opinion:

I'm bored of the Election. I was ready for it to be over today rather than another week of skipping over half the "unread posts" because they were arguing over 1) the merits of the candidates, 2) the merits of the Election mechanics, 3) the relative merits of the candidates, or 4) some combination of the above. I also don't much care for an Abundant frequency card with no profitable option (Advance Your Career) constantly showing up in my deck, since I'm currently holding on to two Mood cards and the Gift from the Capering Relicker. At least during the Feast of the Rose I can reliably get an Echo or two per action, even if I'm done getting the Masquing I need that year. Again, I realize this is unusual behavior, and I do not expect the Election to be tuned with me in mind. That's not a good business plan.

Secondly, I don't really care about the outcome of the Election. Unlike my own person in local or national elections, my character will accrue no penalties from completely sitting the Election out, or from his candidate losing. This is probably for the best, since the forums are already overheating, but it also means that I'm just continuing my Fidgeting Writer grind as normal instead of participating in the festival.

Thirdly, I'm an Agitator. Unlike some posts I've seen I don't much mind getting mobbed, but it also feels too easy for me to game it. All I've had to do is make sure I get targeted by a Scandal mob and I can effectively remove myself from the valid target pool permanently, since there is apparently an incredible abundance of Fixers willing to clear my name. I got four unsolicited invitations with only Suspicion 3 *today alone*. Meanwhile I don't actually need to do Flash Lays to progress, because the Campaign Resources and Campaign cards show up often enough that I'll easily have level 20 by the end of the week. Meanwhile, if I cared to, I could continue throwing mobs with impunity at people who are actively trying to clear them. (I don't, partly because I've hit Influencing 10, partly because it's unsporting, and partly because it's unprofitable.)

Fourthly, despite contributing 35 votes, that doesn't *mean* anything to me. I don't know what the voting pool is like, and judging by last year's stats, the candidate with an early lead will stay there and people will simply dig in harder on their candidates. I suspect this is partly due to the incredible expense represented by changing candidates late in the festival; switching at level 20 represents you having thrown up to 250 Echoes, or more in action-equivalent if you don't use the opportunity cards, down a well.

Finally, Debates. I realize PVP in Fallen London is a very hard problem to crack, but three actions in the dark is essentially just rolling the dice, and stochastic games are both boring and unstrategic. "Reading" the opponent is meaningless since another human's actions are essentially random for purposes of strategic decision-making. (Look-ahead contests, ho!) And of course it can't be stat-based, since in FL that simply boils down to "I have done more grinding and/or paid more Fate than you, so I win". I don't have a good solution, but I also know that this form of PVP is also about as off-putting as Bronze League K&C ever was. (Moon League at least allowed you to have some information to make your decisions on, even if it was also ultimately a dice roll.)

Anyway. That's me saying "no, I'm not enjoying the Election, and I find it difficult to imagine it taking on a form where it is both recognizable as the intended festival design and also enjoyable to me, so maybe just ignore this feedback, because it won't help".

--
    How we must glow; yes, I bet we look like snow.
    +4 link
    Professor Strix
    Professor Strix

7/4/2017
    I'll be honest here, I'm on it for the case-notes.

And occasionally being helpful to people by accepting social actions.

--
    The Inescapable Professor, London's Most Academic Detective. Open to consultation from Mondays to Fridays, above the Silver Binding bookshop, Veilgarden. Half the payment in advance, half after closing the case. No refunds.

"THIS SATURDAY, in MAHOGANY HALL, delight your eyes with the DARING FEATS of the DAPPER ESCAPIST. Gape at his CHARM and WIT and his CLEVER TRICKS OF ILLUSIONISM. No mirrors used."
    ---------
    Social actions welcomed. Will take menaces if not currently grinding that one stat. Send them and cross your fingers.
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Professor%20Strix
    My alt loiters suspiciously if you want to:
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Derek%20Davis
    +1 link
    Amsfield
    Amsfield

7/4/2017
    none of those options really work for me, I am enjoying it but i do hate flash-lays and so far the debating hasn't really progressed, still waiting on the person who challenged me to respond, so...
    edited by Amsfield on 7/4/2017

--
    Amsfield: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Amsfield
    A devotee of pleasures intellectual and fleshy. Always fabulously masked.
    Honoria Kastern: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Honoria%20Kastern
    A hunter, a shooter and a fisher. Also a patriotic busy body. Mildly corrupted.
    Maiser: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Maiser
    A young firebrand of obviously criminal intent.
    Venshik: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Venshik
    Not a nice person.
    Asmeria: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Asmeria
    Quiet, thoughtful and possibly mad. Excellent listener though. Favours grey.
    0 link
    Zack Oak
    Zack Oak

7/4/2017
    Yeeaaahh, ngl, the debates are WAY too slow, and depend entirely on the schedule of another person. During a holiday week in the US too, most of us are out and doing things, too. I would radically overhaul this in the future, especially since this is on a time limit.

--
    Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
    Tumblr RP Account
    Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
    Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
    +3 link