Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

a poll to see if people are enjoying the election! Messages in this topic - RSS

are you enjoying the election so far?.

1 hell yea! its great having something to devote my self to outside the daily grind! :61
2 i am as well debating is great fun! :19
3 nope i hate flash laying and the social mechanics :16
4 also nope all this debating and arguing is giving me a headace:15
crazyroosterman
crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
also if a griper comes in griping about debates(I've quietly decided I won't tut at mechanical griping since that's needed to improve mechanics) do you think I should tut at them with a post or a private message? which would be more irritating when done repeatedly?
0 link
Kukapetal
Kukapetal

7/1/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
Well, buddy up with a few active Fixers. There's a glut of them out there, after all. They can help with Menaces and they benefit from it, too.

I got hit with a mob in the 30 seconds it took to get rid of the last one, nuke my menaces with a soul shepherd card, and click on the "start a flash lay" button. If that's too slow to render the position functional I don't see how how having other players gradually chip away at my menaces could possibly help me.

Don't worry Roosterman, I'm assuming that once you get stuck with a mob you can't get any more sent your way, so I'm just going to keep this most recent one, stop doing any election activities, and just deal with the occasional chucked vegetable until the election is over.

btw what does pvp mean?
+2 link
Jeremy Avalon
Jeremy Avalon

7/1/2017
PVP = "player vs. player".

--
How we must glow; yes, I bet we look like snow.
+3 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/1/2017
Robin Alexander wrote:
I want to see other threads or discussions, but instead I'm bombarded with hostility and people desperate to 'convert' me at every turn.

Isaac Zienfried wrote:
But yeah, at this point, I've seen more pushback against "debating" than actual debate, especially since it's all pouring in after we decided to quiet down. I guess it's just frustrating to see people express discontent with something that we've already stopped doing.

edited by Isaac Zienfried on 7/1/2017

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+4 link
crazyroosterman
crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
Robin Alexander wrote:
I'm not sure if I'm derailing a discussion or not, but . . . I voted for "4", but more because there isn't an "indifferent" option.

Personally, I have no problem with the mechanics (which I enjoy) or the social aspect (which builds a sense of community), but I find the purpose of the election to be something that doesn't interest me and because there's no personal rewards I'm also less invested . . . I can do literally nothing and still get the same rewards as everyone else. I'm thus not invested.

That being said, I do respond to social actions and every now and then do odd lays or investigations or instigate social actions . . . it's nice to dip in and out of for a change of pace.

What I hate -?

The forums being rammed with debate, sometimes on unrelated threads, or my alt being spammed - before he went back to the Isle - with role-playing propaganda . . . I want to see other threads or discussions, but instead I'm bombarded with hostility and people desperate to 'convert' me at every turn. If I wanted that environment, I'd stay on Tumblr . . . THAT irks me a lot.
edited by Robin Alexander on 7/1/2017
well personally I can appreciate the passion and I feel it speaks for fail betters writing and worldbuilding in that there able to provoke said passion for imaginary politics.
since you were technically griping about debates in a non gripey way(if that makes any sense) then ill send you a single tut for policy's sake but I won't consistently tut at you.

also i didn't consider putting in i like this part but i don't like this part and i don't think i will unless a lot of people post saying like one part and dislike the other part.
mainly because id have to double the amount of option and i feel people might find it confusing.........................................................you know what? f it ill go do it right now it would just be lazy of me not to do so.

edit emm is it possible to edit a set of polls you've personally made? cause i cant seem to do it?
if its not then sorry about ill keep it in mind if lets say in the next election fail better does i decide to do enougher poll of this nature.

• edited by crazyroosterman on 7/1/2017
  • +1 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/1/2017
    Robin Alexander wrote:
    Like someone else said, a thread seems to have been locked and a few people seem annoyed by it.

That someone else was actually me, heh. I've become somewhat vocal on the topic, and should probably just leave for a few days because now I'm getting genuinely annoyed by things.

The thread locking was a slightly different issue. It wasn't about the debates themselves, but people starting to throw personal, out-of-character accusations at people over their engagement in the debates. I'd name the specific example that really crossed the line, but it's best to let that die.

Problem is, it's exceedingly frustrating to encounter one thread of "hey this is getting out of hand," and then reply "okay you're probably right let's all tone it down"... and then encounter another thread a day later saying "this is too much," after it's stopped. To which you then reply "hey, uh, it's stopped," only for there to be another post stating "it really annoys me!" At this point, I'm tempted to just make a thread screaming about whether people would be satisfied with ritual freakin' suicide to sate them. It's, like, what do you want??? And it's obviously not "for it to stop," because that's happened already and people aren't satisfied.

EDIT: And you guys really need to care less about downvotes. If it's that easy to get on your nerves, that's not good. And I realize the hypocrisy of saying that right after venting about my own frayed nerves.

--
    A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
    +6 link
    crazyroosterman
    crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
    Isaac Zienfried wrote:
    Robin Alexander wrote:
    Like someone else said, a thread seems to have been locked and a few people seem annoyed by it.

That someone else was actually me, heh. I've become somewhat vocal on the topic, and should probably just leave for a few days because now I'm getting genuinely annoyed by things.

The thread locking was a slightly different issue. It wasn't about the debates themselves, but people starting to throw personal, out-of-character accusations at people over their engagement in the debates. I'd name the specific example that really crossed the line, but it's best to let that die.

Problem is, it's exceedingly frustrating to encounter one thread of "hey this is getting out of hand," and then reply "okay you're probably right let's all tone it down"... and then encounter another thread a day later saying "this is too much," after it's stopped. To which you then reply "hey, uh, it's stopped," only for there to be another post stating "it really annoys me!" At this point, I'm tempted to just make a thread screaming about whether people would be satisfied with ritual freakin' suicide to sate them. It's, like, what do you want??? And it's obviously not "for it to stop," because that's happened already and people aren't satisfied.

EDIT: And you guys really need to care less about downvotes. If it's that easy to get on your nerves, that's not good. And I realize the hypocrisy of saying that right after venting about my own frayed nerves.
    im not sure weather to start tutting at you since your technically griping about debates but your actually griping about people griping about debates and i don't really think i should since your being relevant to the thread....
    wait did i just achieve the impossible and answer my own question?? i think i might have....

also im not debating about your griping about because i have literally no idea what your talking unless its in the salon? I've mostly stuck to the bazaar as i always tend to do?.
  • +1 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/1/2017
    Robin Alexander wrote:
    Well, there's something deliciously ironic here . . .

Quite ironic, yes. One case is pomaceous, and the other is citrus.

Robin Alexander wrote:
    It's bizarre, but mirrors real-life in a very real way. If we look at real life political events, whether that be the US election or Brexit . . . you can see how it tore actual families apart and became very personal. I guess it's a testament to FBG's writing? They've crafted very real characters and a very real setting; they've let us become very involved or very hands off, like a real election, and like a real election the outcome affects 'London' and us by proxy if we're avid role-players. People get drawn in, which tends to getting very passionate.

That's the point.

As I've said in other threads, the entire appeal for some people is to vent argumentative impulses in a context where it's not real and ultimately should be considered a play, a game, an act. Not personal, like real-life stuff is.

Robin Alexander wrote:
    I'm not sure a way around it, because the only way to stop it is to say "no 'political' discourse", but then that goes against the spirit of the game and the sense of community, as the game revolves around role-playing and social actions and debate . . .

I figured the best way would be to have the "political" threads be for debate, but that still means there's debate, which offends some.

Robin Alexander wrote:
    I'm not sure what the solution is, but I'd suspect these arguments on whether certain issues are being repeated - or what behaviour's appropriate, or if someone's carrying on, etc. - are probably prolonging the negative aspects in themselves . . .

YUP. Exactly what I've been saying.

Robin Alexander wrote:
    I don't know. I'm rambling. I'll dip out of this thread now.

Y'know, that's a really good idea. I'll join ya.

--
    +4 link
    Kukapetal
    Kukapetal

7/1/2017
    Isaac Zienfried wrote:

people get irked by petty downvoting because it's basically used to get revenge on someone for saying something you disagree with, rather than simply pointing out if a post is nasty or rude or deliberately unhelpful.
    +2 link
    crazyroosterman
    crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
    so im not going to tut at isaac since he's griping about gripers (I had no longer post before but awful things happened and I have no enthusiasm to replicate it word for word)
    also Ill try not to make this sound rude but thanks for dipping out.
    you see as much as I sympathise with you despite not knowing exactly what your talking since I've seen none of this were I lurk (in the bazzar) and I really don't want this thread to turn into page after page of complaining about gripers complaining about debating and start causing the same kind of problem themselves are.

edit wait WHAT?! that post came through any way? how? just how?.............emmmm this is really embarrassing please don't yell at me 0_0

• edited by crazyroosterman on 7/1/2017
  • +2 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/1/2017
    crazyroosterman wrote:
    I really don't want this thread to turn into page after page of complaining about gripers complaining about debating and start causing the same kind of problem themselves are.

Nope, you're absolutely right. I'm probably contributing to the exact thing I'm frustrated by. That's what happens when you let irritation influence your input.

EDIT: Okay so now dipping out.

--
    +4 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

7/1/2017
    @crazyroosterman: Perhaps we should leave the moderating to the mods? If someone is getting a little frustrated or off topic we can ask them to stop, and if a big problem forms, well that's what the report button is for after all.

(And no, you unfortunately can't edit polls.)

Isaac Zienfried wrote:

I believe that the issue, as someone already stated, is that the forum format is by nature somewhat divorced from the passage of time. If debates gets out of hand yesterday and peter out today, that's only immediately obvious to users who regularly check every thread. Anyone who's a little less active and read the whole thing at once, or stopped reading before the conflict ended, is left with the impression that the conflict is still going. They want it to stop because it's not always clear when it has.

Besides, it's not realistic to say that all the heated debate has stopped. Individual posters or threads may have calmed down but the mood persists across a lot of the forum.
    edited by Optimatum on 7/1/2017

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +4 link

7/1/2017
    breaking some silence just to point this out...

problem is that the election being too nasty is a meme, and people just say it because it's all over and they want to have their own voice heard. see a few threads with lots of upvotes and think 'i can get upvotes too if i juts say ppl are being mean and scary'.
    +2 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/1/2017
    Optimatum wrote:
    as someone already stated, is that the forum format is by nature somewhat divorced from the passage of time

Okay, this post doesn't count because I'm not continuing the argument, but:

Once again, "someone" was me. I keep having people quote me at me, and it's funny. Probably excellent proof that I'm 1) posting too much and 2) all over the place in my opinions.

--
    +3 link
    crazyroosterman
    crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
    to directly reply to optima.
    sure I can but id rather not distract them when I can try and deal with the problem my self but if I cant then they'll then get reported.
    and the tuttings reserved for people griping about debates not people griping about people griping about debates.
    0 link
    crazyroosterman
    crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
    now.
    could you politely make a separate thread for this debate? its all compelling and well thought out but as I've stated before I don't want this thread becoming nothing but page after page of it.
    +1 link
    crazyroosterman
    crazyroosterman

7/1/2017
    okay so now that they have politely left id like to say that I think this poll is intresting.

you see the vast majority in terms of mechanics seem to be enjoying this election but the vast majority of voters are not enjoying the debating I feel this reinforces the strength of my suggestion further.
    +2 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

7/2/2017
    Crazyroosterman you're an interesting character

Edited by BFW doing her BFW thing
    edited by babelfishwars on 7/3/2017

--
    A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
    +1 link
    Katerwaul
    Katerwaul

7/2/2017
    I'm just here for the wacky roleplay shenanigans. Vote Squidley for a candidate who understands the plight of the common cephalopod!

--
    Celestine Stormstrider, written in the cinders of the stars
    +4 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

7/2/2017
    If there ever is a rubbery candidate they're immediately getting my vote.

--
    Be of good cheer. Our contacts have assured us that your sins are forgiven.
    +1 link