Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

The Honey-Well: Dauntless Temperance Headquarters Messages in this topic - RSS

Hark DeGaul
Hark DeGaul

7/10/2017
gronostaj wrote:
i see Feducci went from a foreman for POWs on a hellish trireme into full-blown slave trader in less than a week ;P

Not everyone on the trireme was a POW from London's war with Hell, some were captives in the more traditional sense. Five Minutes to Midday includes a rower who was simply a captured zailor and in the Regretful Soldier storyline there is also a Khaganian who implies he has been rowing since there was a Fourth City.

Slave trader is a loaded term, but Feducci chose the position of foreman on what was effectively a state-sanctioned pirate vessel and is complicit in kidnap and ransom as well as forced labour. Ultimately time and morality is different in Elder God Victorian London (London does have press-gangs too that perform a similar role of kidnapping people to row boats) but it's easy to see why people would put these pieces together and get "Feducci is a slaver literally working for devils."

--
The Dawn-Eyed Optician: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hark%20DeGaul

That Vicar Who Ruined the Royal Wedding for Everyone (including himself): http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hebediah%20Fix

The Dreaded Relative: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Your%20Aunt
+4 link
xKiv
xKiv

7/10/2017
Jillius wrote:
Tell me you wouldn't steer that ship to get rid of the Artist's Model and I'd at least be suspicious of your taste in women.

Can't you just tie her shoelaces toghether, or something?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
+2 link
gronostaj
gronostaj

7/10/2017
Hark DeGaul wrote:
Not everyone on the trireme was a POW from London's war with Hell, some were captives in the more traditional sense. Five Minutes to Midday includes a rower who was simply a captured zailor and in the Regretful Soldier storyline there is also a Khaganian who implies he has been rowing since there was a Fourth City.

oh, I didn't mean to argue with that. I just meant to say that his brief stunt as a foreman doesn't indicate he wants slavery to be a thing in London or at all. If he were passionate about slavery in general or his job as slave-driver, I rather think he would still be cracking whip at triremes, as opposing to returning to London and pretending to be a tomb-colonist. I don't know when and under which circumstances he resigned from his hellish job, but resign he obviously did, and I would gamble that as the revolution in Hell in which he took part, happened right after the Hell-London war, he slave-drove... driven?...... specifically the Londoners and resigned when they were paid off in and released. No proof for that beyond speculation, of course.

Still, he doesn't seem to miss the job. it's a very incriminating snippet from the past alright, I just don't think it necessarily points to any prediction of his future politics and behaviour.

edit: what's wrong with the Artist;s Model, anyway? wink
edited by gronostaj on 7/10/2017

--
Gronostaj (pl. Ermine), a decadent duellist of mysterious and indistinct gender. Seeker. Willing to die- but not of boredom. Open to all social actions, including the harmful ones.
Soft-Spoken Surgeon, a doctor who owes an onerous debt. Professor of medicine at the University by day, at criminal employ by night. Open to all non-harmful social actions.
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/10/2017
I really like a lot of green and mint teas. I'm something of an Oriental tea enthusiast.

You know, there is absolutely reason for disappointment. It's the nature of the game that two out of three campaigns must lose. We had a great candidate who we all really enjoyed supporting (even when our characters were conflicted or agonizing in their support because they really liked wine & honey, lol). Before this election the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner was a semi-antagonistic background character with an interesting cameo in Sunless Sea's Roser Wharf. Now she's a fully fleshed-out member of Fallen London's main cast, with her own portrait, her own goals and idiosyncrasies, her own past, and her own family. The election went perfectly for her in this respect, providing a promising and suitably political minor character with the stage and spotlight necessary for a wonderful breakout performance. And I for one enjoyed every moment of it, whether it was championing almost every worthy cause London has, absentmindedly tossing honey down a well, telling the anarchists to shut up, or meeting Chuffy again.

The Campaigner's post-election appearance was also really well done, very dignified and even a little funny (the Campaigner's version of drowning her sorrows being a cup of tea with extra sugar). And I really liked the implication that we'll all be seeing more of her shortly, once Feducci's reign of misrule gets underway:

The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner wrote:
"Not quite what we hoped, was it? I didn't compromise though. I do have that. If this is what the people want, well. We keep fighting. I hope you'll still march with your fellow Londoners, and fight for what's right."

More fighting and protest marches to come, hmmmm. I hope this means she'll be the opposition figure on Feducci's Mayoral Influence Card, because she'd be the ideal foil for him.

Another thing to be happy about, although we didn't win the election, we did well enough that Feducci only won with a plurality. The winning candidate got under 50% of the vote and, consequently, half the assembled Londoners in Hastings Square violently jeered him. This was entirely due to our own efforts. Via forum debate, via letters, via RP, and via team work, we can be confident that we moved enough voters to our side to make the difference between Feducci getting a Sinning Jenny style majority and Feducci entering office a deeply divisive and distrusted figure. And that is something we should be very proud of.

Contrast these two beginnings:

Jenny's Victory wrote:
Jenny flashes a smile to rival the false stars. She begins the celebrations by flinging a sack's-worth of rose-petals over her new constituents.

Feducci's Victory wrote:
Feducci steps forward, offering the crowd a regal wave. Thundering roars of approval hail his victory, met equally by explosive jeers. Feducci stands above them all, laughing.

He might laugh now, but I think he'll be a bit less happy by the end of his term :P
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/10/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+3 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

7/11/2017
Looks like Mr. Eaten will be disappointed. Pity.

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+1 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

7/11/2017
Well.

He is used to that, you know.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+7 link
LillianAranach
LillianAranach

7/11/2017
What's done is done. I find myself quite ambivalent about the whole thing. Ah well, at least we can all continue to progress individually whether towards benevolence or not. At least it will be an interesting term and with enough drugs still about to ignore the whole thing if desired. It was quite sublime assisting you all, and hopefully this is not our last meeting.

--
They say, "There is a delightfully delectable corruption about Aranach, and she seeks to spread it, all the while revelling in truth and sin in equal parts."

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lillian%20Aranach
+4 link
LillianAranach
LillianAranach

7/11/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
MY RUMINATING HAS AN UPVOTE. THAT SETTLES IT.

SHATTERING FORCE TIME. I BLAME FEDUCCI.

Please, just talk in all caps now - I love it <3

--
They say, "There is a delightfully delectable corruption about Aranach, and she seeks to spread it, all the while revelling in truth and sin in equal parts."

+4 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/11/2017
I'll need a great deal of tea to soothe my throat. Wait. I mean-

SOMEONE GET ME SOME BLOODY TEA; MY THROAT'S SORE.

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+3 link
Kukapetal
Kukapetal

7/11/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:

Woah, you're like the Bizzaro version of Fleshy :P
+2 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/11/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
You know, there is absolutely reason for disappointment. It's the nature of the game that two out of three campaigns must lose. We had a great candidate who we all really enjoyed supporting (even when our characters were conflicted or agonizing in their support because they really liked wine & honey, lol). Before this election the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner was a semi-antagonistic background character with an interesting cameo in Sunless Sea's Roser Wharf. Now she's a fully fleshed-out member of Fallen London's main cast, with her own portrait, her own goals and idiosyncrasies, her own past, and her own family. The election went perfectly for her in this respect, providing a promising and suitably political minor character with the stage and spotlight necessary for a wonderful breakout performance. And I for one enjoyed every moment of it, whether it was championing almost every worthy cause London has, absentmindedly tossing honey down a well, telling the anarchists to shut up, or meeting Chuffy again.

That's kind of how I see it. I'm trying not to be bitter or salty too openly (we have enough people doing that). but it is kind of exasperating when FB goes "here's a character you already know a lot about... and here's a side character but whoops look at all this exposition about how awesome she is all of a sudden" and half the playerbase's reaction is "meh, she still looks like she votes Tory, so **** her gimme the awesome mummy-assassin dude." It's really easy to become disenfranchised over that.

...But, eh, you know what? I got the feeling someone at FB enjoyed writing her. And I also get the feeling they won't stop. So I guess I can live with this.

--
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
+3 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/11/2017
Kukapetal wrote:
Isaac Zienfried wrote:

Woah, you're like the Bizzaro version of Fleshy :P

The thought had occ-

THE THOUGHT HAD OCCURRED TO ME. I DON'T KNOW HOW I FEEL ABOUT THIS.

EDIT: I see our Lillian is taking on the Rubbery Murders in Veilgarden right now. I happened to stop by there to pick up some amber.
edited by Isaac Zienfried on 7/11/2017

--
+2 link
LillianAranach
LillianAranach

7/11/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:

EDIT: I see our Lillian is taking on the Rubbery Murders in Veilgarden right now. I happened to stop by there to pick up some amber.

Indeed, the case with the least evidence ever. How am I even meant to convict anyone, let alone the right one with this vague nonsense?

--

0 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/11/2017
LillianAranach wrote:
Isaac Zienfried wrote:

Indeed, the case with the least evidence ever. How am I even meant to convict anyone, let alone the right one with this vague nonsense?

Ask the Fingerkings. What could go wrong?

--
+3 link
suinicide
suinicide

7/11/2017
LillianAranach wrote:
Isaac Zienfried wrote:

:P don't worry, murders don't actually affect london (and a hint, the devil's in the details)

--
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/11/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
it is kind of exasperating when FB goes "here's a character you already know a lot about... and here's a side character but whoops look at all this exposition about how awesome she is all of a sudden" and half the playerbase's reaction is "meh, she still looks like she votes Tory, so **** her gimme the awesome mummy-assassin dude."

You're being way too sour and snippy. We don't actually know all that much about Feducci. We know a lot about his London activities and current loyalties, but when it comes to his overall history I don't think we've scratched the surface yet. I mean, there's a lot of empty time between the events of his Hallowmas confession and his turning up in Hell, from where he made his way to London. So naturally a lot of people wanted to learn more about him. Let's not be sour and snippy, because we wanted to do the exact same thing with the Campaigner.

Complaining that other people found something more interesting than you did doesn't really accomplish anything.
edited by Anne Auclair on 7/11/2017

--
+4 link
Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

7/11/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
Complaining that other people found something more interesting than you did doesn't really accomplish anything.

IT'S CATHARTIC. Or something. I dunno.

At least I'm not demanding everyone one of his supporters get punished for it.

--
+4 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

7/11/2017
Isaac Zienfried wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:

IT'S CATHARTIC. Or something. I dunno.

At least I'm not demanding everyone one of his supporters get punished for it.

IN POLYTHREME THE BED I SLEPT ON WAS A SLAVE. THE ROOM WHERE I SLEPT WAS HACKED FROM SCREAMING STONE. THE WATER I DRANK BEGGED ME TO STOP. THEY PAID ME IN COIN THAT PLOTTED MY DOWNFALL. THE MEMORIES ARE TROUBLING. THIS PLACE IS BETTER.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+7 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

7/27/2017
I'd like to offer another round of applause to Infinity Simulacrum, whose organization and carefully maintained lists were essential to winning 21% and denying Feducci a majority. Thanks to these efforts, we really punched above our weight in social points, getting 27% of the total.

--
+1 link