Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Which candidate should I support? Messages in this topic - RSS

Hunter Grey
Hunter Grey
Posts: 22

6/27/2017
Hello all, I'm eager to begin advancing my career as a campaigner, but I am still considering which candidate to support. I am already leaning towards a decision but I would like to hear others opinions and gain more knowledge of the candidates so that I may make an informed decision as is my duty. Regarding the candidates, I have long enjoyed the pleasures of wine and honey, but the determined temperance campaigner seems like a kind woman devoted to improving society. Perhaps some families and myself are indeed damaged by addictions to honey. The implacable detective seems a very intelligent, efficient woman who could keep the city safer and hopefully reduce corruption among the constables.The candidate I am currently most in favor of is Feducci. A fair society where all may achieve their full potential by climbing the chain sounds wonderful. In my opinion this is precisely what a good government should do for it's people. Please let me know your thoughts, all candidates seem capable people working to improve our great city.
0 link
LillianAranach
LillianAranach
Posts: 45

6/27/2017
If information is what you seek, I suggest you go to each of the candidates, announcement (Election 1895: ) threads. There are already some heated debates going on around the merits of each. Personally, I support Feducci, simply because I disagree with the methods of the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner (which tend towards prohibition, a policy that has never worked), and because I dislike the constabulary for personal reasons.


edit: formatting issues




edited by LillianAranach on 6/27/2017

--
They say, "There is a delightfully delectable corruption about Aranach, and she seeks to spread it, all the while revelling in truth and sin in equal parts."

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lillian%20Aranach
0 link
A Dimness
A Dimness
Posts: 613

6/27/2017
If you want a summarization,

-The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner supports social reform, taking care of those who can't take care of themselves, and waging war on pushers of Prisoner's Honey and Gin. So far it seems she's trying to buy up all the Honey in the city so she can deny it to the addicts, and the Anarchists are trying to pressure here because she was friends with the previous March of the calendar council (who was murdered).
-The Implacable Detective wants to reform the entire constabulary system in London, she seems to want to both purge corruption and provide care for ex-constables and detectives (if you have a soft spot for the Honey-Addled Detectived, this should be a convincing point). She doesn't seem to be doing any shady business just yet.
-Feducci has the most fan support because he's a ninja-mummy who runs fighting rings. His platform isn't particularly clear yet, but his main goals are an "egalitarian London where all can earn their fortune and gamble it all away again." but hey, he's a ninja mummy who runs fighting rings. Also, he's most likely a spy from the Presbyterate, and he does a lot of dealings with devils. But hey, ninja mummy from the presbyterate. If you investigate him through flash lay it turns out he's gambling on trade deals to make money for his party and constantly profits off deals involving Hell and the Presbyterate.

Personally, I support the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner, but I'm split between her and the Implacable Detective.
I'd never side with Feducci just because the guy is extremely shifty, and we just don't know his goals. Most people support him because they want to find out what his motives are and such, but if you look at it from a Roleplay standpoint, you're literally installing a foreign agent into a position of power, there's no garauntee he's behind the people of London.

Edit: The Implacable Detective seems to be indebted to a faction aligned with the Fingerkings.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 6/27/2017

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
0 link
Anchovies
Anchovies
Posts: 421

6/27/2017
Let's all try to shy away from "_____ has the most popular support", because we literally can't know that until the Election is over. Feducci may be drawing some enthusiastic supporters for the lulz factor, but the Campaigner and Detective have plenty of proponents as well. And the number of posters is but a fraction of the forum population, let alone the entire active player-base.

edit: aside from the above, Infinity's summary of the three is solid.
edited by Anchovies on 6/27/2017

--
Perhaps our role on this planet is not to worship God — but to create Him.
—Sir Arthur C Clarke

Lionel Anchovies. Character on indefinite hiatus.
0 link
A Dimness
A Dimness
Posts: 613

6/27/2017
Anchovies wrote:
Let's all try to shy away from "_____ has the most popular support", because we literally can't know that until the Election is over. Feducci may be drawing some enthusiastic supporters for the lulz factor, but the Campaigner and Detective have plenty of proponents as well. And the number of posters is but a fraction of the forum population, let alone the entire active player-base.

edit: aside from the above, Infinity's summary of the three is solid.
edited by Anchovies on 6/27/2017

It's a fairly safe bet to say Feducci has the popular support in the same vein we all knew Jenny had the popular support last year simply because Feducci seems to be getting the most players on his campaign-related threads.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
0 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair
Posts: 2215

6/27/2017
If you listen to Feducci's examples, even he doesn't seem to believe that doing away with restrictions will actually encourage greater equality or permanent upward mobility. Instead he's promising a world of easy come easy go, a gamblers paradise essentially.

"I mean to even the odds. We can't change everything about the game; The kings and queens of the game are ensconced, but what if we changed the rules? What if an urchin could rise to the same heights as a Governor's son? And then—"

He breaks into a wheezing cough, but presses on: "What if he could lose all his fortune again in an hour?"

But it's not quite clear just how he'd actually achieve this vision... As he himself admits, the rich will remain the kings and queens of the game. And some of them, the Devils in particular, will greatly benefit from a bonfire of restrictions on soul trading, for example. And it's all well and good to preach a gamblers view of the world, but Feducci specializes in taking bets that he knows he can't lose, because he has rigged the game in advance. He participates in fights to the death when he cannot die. He invests in a trade deal that he knows the Presbyterate will approve, because he's secretly working for them. Ordinary people will never defeat the Feducci's of the world in Feducci's world.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/27/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+1 link
Hunter Grey
Hunter Grey
Posts: 22

6/27/2017
It is indeed a mystery what Feducci's intentions are. I think you are right that many people support him due to wanting to see what his motives are. I think there's also a desire in people to vote for chaotic candidates just for the sake of shaking things up. Away with the restrictions, then see what happens. I'll search through the threads some more to make a better decision. Thank you both for sharing your thoughts with me.
+1 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair
Posts: 2215

6/27/2017
Infinity Simulacrum wrote:
Anchovies wrote:
Let's all try to shy away from "_____ has the most popular support", because we literally can't know that until the Election is over. Feducci may be drawing some enthusiastic supporters for the lulz factor, but the Campaigner and Detective have plenty of proponents as well. And the number of posters is but a fraction of the forum population, let alone the entire active player-base.

edit: aside from the above, Infinity's summary of the three is solid.
edited by Anchovies on 6/27/2017

It's a fairly safe bet to say Feducci has the popular support in the same vein we all knew Jenny had the popular support last year simply because Feducci seems to be getting the most players on his campaign-related threads.

Well, it's only the first day. There are lots of people who haven't joined the election yet - we'll see where things stand next week. Having participated in the 1894 election, I can say that it's not anything like Jenny's march to victory. We all knew she was the overwhelming favorite the moment her candidacy was announced, that's how popular she was. Feducci is not getting that kind of support.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/27/2017

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator
Posts: 3448

6/27/2017
Jenny was our precious sinnamon roll. This year hasn't offered up anyone with that perfect mix of benevolence and sauciness, so we're having to choose which counts as the next best thing.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+6 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair
Posts: 2215

6/27/2017
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Jenny was our precious sinnamon roll.

This is true.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+1 link
IHNIWTR
IHNIWTR
Posts: 339

6/27/2017
I can't believe I'm supporting the campaigner, but there you have it

the explanatory text on her card absolutely won me over

[spoiler]The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner tears herself away from a brisk conversation with a member of Humble Order of Mudlarkers and Steeplejacks to answer your questions.

"I have dedicated my life to fighting exploitation. Yes, I've fought the honey-pushers, who addict dreamers, and the drink-dealers who poison mothers and fathers. But I'm here to fight the factory-owners, the landlords, the bankers who drive our citizens into such harmful escapes. We must help the addled and afflicted, provide houses of respite and healing. And tea. I am in favour of tea." She smiles and gives you a firm handshake, before marching away to menace a notoriously unscrupulous landlord.[/spoiler]

I'd take housing for the poor over speculative investment and more brutal policing any day

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Daniel%20Vaise
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair
Posts: 2215

6/27/2017
Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
And why's that? We haven't got long before they're all given to the Lacre anyway. What use is making their lives a little better off for a few decades, when we could be giving them an opportunity for salvation instead? The only hope they have for survival is to get a bunch of money and escape across the Unterzee, or get a lot of power and become favored of the Bazaar or another powerful faction that can protect them. Social mobility and free trade/relations with the nations of the Neath do seem like they ought to be the highest priorities if one cares about saving people's lives in the long run. If there's one person who's going to make a long-term impact to that effect, it's Feducci.

  • I'm 100% confident that Feducci will survive the Fifth City, just like he survived his pilgrimage to Arbour.

    --
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    0 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon
    Posts: 866

    6/27/2017
    The Detective is in league with the Fingerkings, Feducci is hand-in-glove with the Presbyterate...

    that leaves the Campaigner as the only candidate without extra-London sympathies. In an election for the Mayor of London. That's something to consider.

    --
    Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
    +1 link
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Posts: 575

    6/28/2017
    Teaspoon wrote:
    The Detective is in league with the Fingerkings, Feducci is hand-in-glove with the Presbyterate...

    that leaves the Campaigner as the only candidate without extra-London sympathies. In an election for the Mayor of London. That's something to consider.

    The only connection I'm overly concerned for is Feducci's, not because it's the Presbyterate, but because he'd be serving one nation while having minor control over another. Connections to the Presbyterate are one thing, active citizenship and service to them is another. As someone with friends and ties to organizations utilizing Fingerkings, while I'd say it bears keeping in mind and possible concern for, it's not the killing bullet for me. It's hardly a benign issue with her, but neither an unusual one at that. And let's not forget past revolutionary connections to the Campaigner. To be fair, these are most likely PAST connections and should be seen as such, especially since she seems to be turning from their advances towards her campaign. Still, if nothing else, we should remember that they wish to remain current in her life.
    edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/28/2017

    --
    Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
    Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
    Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
    Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft


    Available for any and all social actions.
    +1 link
    Parelle
    Parelle
    Posts: 1084

    6/28/2017
    On purely practical level, I'm hoping for the Detective because she's our best opportunity to add an extra Constables favour to our decks. That, and I miss having a nice source of her cards for fun and profit.

    --
    Parelle, Lady Joseph Marlen. The Singular Librarian. A Midnighter, a Player of the Marvelous.
    pages from a dusty bookshop: a badly updated FL changelog | Useful Guidance and Explanations
    0 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon
    Posts: 866

    6/28/2017
    You can still get her cards on the regular Constable's card. Just turn in five favours is all.

    --
    Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
    0 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator
    Posts: 3448

    6/28/2017
    So, we have Feducci the eccentric liberal, hoping to undermine the institutions of aristocratic privilege and dispel all barriers to the pursuit of wealth, power or pleasure. The Detective seems to be something of a modernising authoritarian, seeking to both expand and reform the police and justice systems to direct society along more rational lines. The Temperance Campaigner is a textbook paternalistic reformer, using public authority and private wealth to attack perceived social ills. A very different crop of candidates from last year's race, and none entirely without appeal.

    --
    Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +1 link
    Catherine Raymond
    Catherine Raymond
    Posts: 2441

    6/28/2017
    Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
    So, we have Feducci the eccentric liberal, hoping to undermine the institutions of aristocratic privilege and dispel all barriers to the pursuit of wealth, power or pleasure. The Detective seems to be something of a modernising authoritarian, seeking to both expand and reform the police and justice systems to direct society along more rational lines. The Temperance Campaigner is a textbook paternalistic reformer, using public authority and private wealth to attack perceived social ills. A very different crop of candidates from last year's race, and none entirely without appeal.


    None with great emotional appeal either. Or at least none with the raging popular appeal of Jenny, for example.

    --
    Cathy Raymond
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

    Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
    0 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness
    Posts: 613

    6/28/2017
    Catherine Raymond wrote:
    Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
    So, we have Feducci the eccentric liberal, hoping to undermine the institutions of aristocratic privilege and dispel all barriers to the pursuit of wealth, power or pleasure. The Detective seems to be something of a modernising authoritarian, seeking to both expand and reform the police and justice systems to direct society along more rational lines. The Temperance Campaigner is a textbook paternalistic reformer, using public authority and private wealth to attack perceived social ills. A very different crop of candidates from last year's race, and none entirely without appeal.


    None with great emotional appeal either. Or at least none with the raging popular appeal of Jenny, for example.

    I'd honestly say it's better this way, the raging popular appeal Jenny had was more of a detriment than a boon to the election, made it far too one-sided and made her much too Mary-Sueish for the Bishop and the Contrarian to keep up with her.

    Really, the only way any election with Jenny would be anywhere near evenly matched would be to pit her against two equally popular characters, and most of the well-known ones aren't really of a mind for politics.

    --
    A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
    +1 link
    Gul al-Ahlaam
    Gul al-Ahlaam
    Posts: 202

    6/28/2017
    Jenny vs Mr Pages vs Mr Wines would be AMAZING to watch though.

  • Oh, or we could have an election with only really obscure and undesirable candidates!
    The Silk-Clad Expert vs Poor Edward vs The Ophidian Gentleman

    --
    The Uncanny Hierophant.
    The Delicate Princeling.
  • 0 link
    12




    Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software