Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1895 Begins! Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse

6/26/2017
Delicious friends, the time has come: Election begins today. Sinning Jenny’s time is up and a new Mayor will be chosen!

“A carriage draped in sinful scarlet is stopped on a corner. A handsome footman in unduly tight livery hands you an envelope with gold lettering. "The Mayor invites you to a farewell soiree at Blythenhale Mansion.”

You are invited to participate in the city's second official Election.

The Election is free and is open to all players. It will begin today, Monday 26th June and end on the 10th July. Halfway through, we'll announce which candidate is in the lead.

Choose a candidate, and campaign! Gather Election Resources, and raise your Election Career Level to increase their support!

Join the electoral efforts now through the "An Invitation to a Ball" storylet, to explore the three candidates up for the 1895 Election: Feducci, the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner, and the Implacable Detective.

As part of the Fallen London Reworks project, players will be able to participate in two brand new social activities to help them amplify their vote:
  • Each political career will have its own unique social ability to further increase the impact of your vote—these social activity will be available throughout the entirety of the festival.
  • The second social activity, Debates, will begin the second week of the festival

The elected Mayor will reign for one year, after which another election will be held. The winning candidate will have a Mayoral influence in your Opportunity Deck until next year's election, so consider who you support carefully.

Excitingly, this year candidate posters are available to purchase through Gametee! Their talented co-founder and art director AJ Hateley has designed a unique poster for each candidate, which will be available to purchase from 20:30 BST 26th June - 31st July.

We cannot wait to see who you will choose, delicious friends...

edited by Absintheuse on 6/27/2017
+11 link
Zack Oak
Zack Oak

7/5/2017
Apropos of a longer argument, I'm going to just say that it's 2017, and I was hoping we could have finally seen the end of the term "mary-sue" being applied to any female character that shows kindness or competence.

--
Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
Tumblr RP Account
Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
+13 link
dov
dov

6/29/2017
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Feducci's campaign seems tailored to appeal to the aspirational middle class - who stand to profit most if government regulations are relaxed, and who hope to gain access to power and prestige that wealth alone cannot bring - and to those particularly optimistic souls among the working class for whom any increase in station is worth gambling for, however long the odds.

The Campaigner's platform seems to appeal most to the working poor and underclass who would directly benefit from her reforms, and those members of the middle and upper classes whose income does not come directly from those businesses likely to be affected and who can thus afford to be public-spirited.

The Detective's goals seem to have swept up both those who support expanded police powers in general, and those rationalists among the scientific and technical class who favour a large-scale top-down restructuring of society.

Nice break down. How about:

• The Implacable Detective desires a top-down reform. Appeals to logic (Logos)
  • The Campaigner desires a bottoms-up reform. Appeals to ethics (Ethos)
  • Feducci desires to shake things up (while acknowledging that those at the very top will stay there). Appeals to emotion (Pathos)

More on Aristotle’s "ingredients for persuasion"

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+11 link
 Saklad
Saklad

6/26/2017
Autonomous wrote:
So, we have to choose between a totalitarian(-) animal-rights(-)(animal-lovers tend to be human-opressors-they cut human rights for the animal rights) tea-drinker, a detective dark-horse(?), or a liberterian(+) egalitarian(+) tomb-colonist(+)(the first time a "not-so-human" person gets a chance for a high post in London- not counting the Masters. Maybe they'll stop genociding the rubbery men and making the Clay Men toil under his rule ) Feducci.

I vote Feducci. I choose freedom and ease.
edited by Autonomous on 6/26/2017
edited by Autonomous on 6/26/2017

I think you’re mistaken. There are no tomb-colonists running for Mayor this year.

• --
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
  • +11 link
    BlabberingMat
    BlabberingMat

6/26/2017
    Also, I applaud the fact that mingling is not action-sinking. Gives me a chance to enjoy the text (which is, so far, very lovely) and explore everything slowly

--
    Alt-Lana Loter
    Main-Always Drunk Slav

"To see a world in a grain of sand, and Heaven in wild flowers.
    To hold an infinity in palm of hand and Eternity in an hour”

Finally, I am Crooked Cross! Feel free to send invitations for Salon!
    As of June 5th, 1895, I am London's newest Legendary Charisma!

The current progress in Mega Soul Grind: 53727/1 639 121 Souls
    +8 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/26/2017
    Rostygold wrote:
    The kicker here is that, for all of you people's arguments in the threads for the candidates, whoever wins, his/her term would not be any more impactful than Jenny's.

The most that might be obtained from any winner is a premium story accessible only to paying players, and a card that everyone gets.

Well, at the minimum there will be:

1. A free story staring the Mayor at a future festival (last year it was the Festival of the Zee).
    2. The Mayoral influence card.
    3. A premium story for a modest fate price that leaves you and London with something permanent.
    4. A special Christmas card, again purchased with fate.
    5. A special Hallowmas confession/Mr Huffam conversation.
    6. One last Mayoral event at the end of term that introduces the new candidates (in Jenny's case a ball).

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    +8 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/4/2017
    One thing that has impressed me. I've been talking with a lot of players from different campaigns via letters and coffee invites and I've been blown away by the wide range and skill of the election RP, regardless of the decisions or the candidates supported. If you're not doing election RP you're really missing out. It's also a lovely way to overcome OOC campaign divisions - when a supporter of candidate X sends you an entertaining and well written explanation for why their character is voting the way they are, you share a fun little moment. And fun little moments make it hard to have hard feelings about, well, anything.

Yeah, my letter writing strategy was a really good call I think. It's worked in strategic terms and it's increased enjoyment of the game. It was totally worth the 46 debate challenges that have resulted :P
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/4/2017

--
    +8 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

7/3/2017
    Until now, I've resisted offering my personal opinion on the candidates. Now that the election is entering its final week, I feel the time is right to share my views - speaking entirely in my unofficial capacity. I'm supporting the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner. I strongly believe that the institution of government should serve those least able to advance their own cause - those who are vulnerable, and who are preyed upon by the greedy and heartless - and this is what the Campaigner pledges to do. Feducci may be a charming old rogue, but his talents are best kept the field of sports, rather than politics. The Detective is a most respectable lady, for whom I have the greatest respect, but her plans for reform are better kept within the justice system, which they chiefly concern. The Campaigner's platform is the best suited for the office of Mayor, and is, further, the one which speaks most to the reason and the conscience of any public-spirited Londoner. Thank you for your attention, and I hope I shall see you all at the voting booth come election day!

--
    Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +8 link
    Edward Warren
    Edward Warren

6/28/2017
    The Implacable Detective prosecuting London's corrupt judges and politicians? Yeah, that policy will last all of five minutes before the Masters kill it, with them spending that first five minutes laughing their batty arses off at her. Too many people benefit from the current corrupt order to let her tear the whole thing down.

The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner wants more poorhouses? When you pay people to be poor, you get exactly what you pay for: more poverty and more complacency. Banning cheap vices like liquor and drugs won't make the demand nor the existing supply evaporate. The people will merely turn to even more illicit means to get their fix, bringing more criminals to power.

And then there's Feducci, a fearless leader whose cunning and wit are rivaled only by his prowess in battle. Feducci is a man who practices what he preaches, and is the only candidate who's been told to be capable of delivering what he promises. He aided the Season of Revolutions in overthrowing the Aristocracy of Hell! If he can stand against Hell itself and triumph, what chance does the current order have in holding him back?

Fellow citizens, I implore you! Back the only candidate whose methods and goals are time-tested and true!

VOTE FEDUCCI!

--
    WHAT IS BELOW CANNOT ESCAPE WHAT IS ABOVE
    +7 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/28/2017
    I'd suggest that, if people are going to hurl invective in-character, they do so in the Fabularities, and make clear they're simply writing fiction. Out-of-character discussion is to be kept civil!

Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
    Aren't we all posting in character? Do people have actual positions on this election between a secret super detective, a mummy ninja, and a victorian social activist?

There's a difference between discussing events within the story's own internal logic, and roleplaying as a character in that story. Roleplaying should be done in Mr Pages' Fabularities; the other boards are for discussing things as yourself.
    edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 6/28/2017

--
    +6 link
    Macragg
    Macragg

6/28/2017
    Infinity Simulacrum wrote:

Feducci's supporters are primarily players who feel a fairly large degree of detachment with their characters or the actual setting, so they pick the option that's most likely to amuse them and stir up things. Either that, or their player characters are so powerful already that they'll only really be able to benefit from Feducci's victory.

As a DTC supporter, I'm just looking at it from a serious roleplaying perspective, trying to argue for what I'd personally want to happen if I was a citizen of London. I think that that's been fairly well proven by the degree of effort I'm putting into this whole campaign business, and the amount of scrutinizing I'm doing (see the google doc in my signature for proof, I've written everything but the name-list myself).

I think I'm getting too carried away at times, I absolutely love campaigning but I'm making it more of a hot-button issue than it is.

This seems like a somewhat unfair perspective. There's plenty of perfectly valid roleplaying reasons one might have to support Feducci- for instance, my main runs in a less-than-lawful crowd and is simultaneously chummy with the Velocipede Squad. He also has quite a taste for wine and honey thank-you-very-much, so both the DTC and the Implacable Detective are right out. By contrast, he knows and respects Feducci from his time with the Black Ribbons, so it's a question of supporting a well-liked acquaintance vs. supporting two people who promise to attack the very things he enjoys in London. Nothing detached or meta-gamey about it.
    +6 link
    Lady Sapho Byron
    Lady Sapho Byron

6/27/2017
    Did the Bishop really say, "But what is God if not love, eh? Vengeance, that's what!"? I think someone stopped reading after Malachi.

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
    +6 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

6/26/2017
    Aw, I loved the farewell party. Whoever is writing Sinning Jenny is doing a wonderful job with her, always.

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
    +6 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/26/2017
    BlabberingMat wrote:
    Awww, I like that she remembers who we voted for last year. It is also really bittersweet piece of text...

I supported Jenny last year - the Bishop and the Contrarian were both happy to see me, no hard feelings, and Jenny and I shared a moment of reflection on the year's achievements. A nice moment!

--
    +6 link
    dov
    dov

6/26/2017
    Fadewalker wrote:
    Three new items this year,
    [spoiler]
    you get the first for free and further for 30 fate.
    Epicurean War-Helm: Hat, Feducci only, +8 Dangerous, +1 Dreaded;
    Corinthian Belfry Hat: Hat, Detective only,, +8 Shadowy, +1 Bizarre;
    Indignant Bearskin: Hat, DTC only, +8 Persuasive, +1 Respectable.

Last year:
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22610-new-festival-election.aspx#post151410
    [/spoiler]

FYI:

Feducci's item is best in slot for Dangerous, excluding profession items and Moods.
    The Detective's item is best in slot for Shadowy, excluding Moods

In short: Vote Detective! :-)

----
    edited by dov on 6/26/2017

--
    Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
    (Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
    +6 link
    dov
    dov

7/3/2017
    Plynkes wrote:
    Oh man! I was right about Chuffy!

(Or did I give them the idea? That would be even cooler.)

Given Chris's reaction here, you might have indeed given them the idea :-)

--
    +6 link
    hellaGumshoe
    hellaGumshoe

7/5/2017
    I'd like to drop a reminder that Feducci's Bad. The result of investigating him made me remember being caught up in my good friend, the Regretful Soldier's, Heartbreaking Tale, which culminated in [Spoiler]me entering his body and going back in time via the use of a magical set of handcuffs. In this experience, Feducci was seen as a slave driver, aboard one of Hell(the bad part of hell, not the suave warm-eyed parts)'s horrific slave-powered Triremes. As someone not only complicit in slavery, but actively commanding slaves, he cannot be trusted to rule over our fair, just city! Vote Detective! Vote Temperance! Just Don't Vote Feducci!
    edited by hellaGumshoe on 7/5/2017

--
    main account.

new account because i've completely forgotten how the early-game went
    +6 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/29/2017
    Feducci's campaign seems tailored to appeal to the aspirational middle class - who stand to profit most if government regulations are relaxed, and who hope to gain access to power and prestige that wealth alone cannot bring - and to those particularly optimistic souls among the working class for whom any increase in station is worth gambling for, however long the odds.

The Campaigner's platform seems to appeal most to the working poor and underclass who would directly benefit from her reforms, and those members of the middle and upper classes whose income does not come directly from those businesses likely to be affected and who can thus afford to be public-spirited.

The Detective's goals seem to have swept up both those who support expanded police powers in general, and those rationalists among the scientific and technical class who favour a large-scale top-down restructuring of society.

Curious times, to be sure. Any contender has the potential to shake things up for good or for ill.

--
    +6 link
    Azothi
    Azothi

6/29/2017
    Edward Warren wrote:
    The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner intends to open more poorhouses and abolish cheap pleasures like honey and alcohol. Sinning Jenny spent the majority of her term building poorhouses and setting up programs for the disenfranchised. To vote for a candidate promising essentially the exact same thing rephrased is to admit either that Sinning Jenny either accomplished nothing or couldn't manage to do enough to tackle the issue, even with all the powers of the mayoral office. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in her ability to tack this issue, nor the urgency of tackling this issue.
    As you've said yourself, the mayorship only lasts a year, and that the new mayor is free to reverse or build upon the achievements of the previous mayor. You seem to have forgotten this so quickly when it becomes inconvenient. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is building upon the programs established by Sinning Jenny, focusing on helping the poor and addicted, such as the Honey-Addled Detective and other such minds who have been brought down by gin and honey. Rome wasn't built in a day, and these issues won't go away in a year either. All we can do is keep on grinding at that grindstone. Things have already gotten better. Voting in Feducci risks throwing away all the progress we've made already.

Edward Warren wrote:
    And again, let us not forget our experiences of the past election cycle. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner owes favors to the Revolutionaries. Anyone even vaguely familiar with organized crime can tell you that owing a disrepuatable bunch like that favors is tantamount to them owning you. By the end of the campaign the Jovial Contrarian's campaign was all but taken over by the Calendar Council, with February herself openly walking the halls as his "assistant". Is these really the people we want to hold the reigns of power for a whole year?
    The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is at the very least opposed to if not the enemy of the Calendar Council. These are anarchists trying to call on old connections that were burned when the Council ordered the death of March. Bear in mind that the late March is most likely John Cassell, a man dedicated to social reform, education, and helping the working class. That's her revolutionary connection.
    Edward Warren wrote:
    Don't vote for a candidate that will foster complacency among the poor, vote for the one that gives every man an honest chance to advance, should he have the spine to work for it!
    Were we not all once prisoners brought here with just the clothes on our back and a hope in our hearts? Without Feducci, we've advanced to the upper echelons of every fragment of society: we are academics, poets, governors, and explorers. We are scholars of the Correspondence. We hunt monsters in the peligin depths. We traverse Parabola and break the boundaries of what Is and Is Not. We were nothing, and look at what we've become? Our city as it stands is a testament to our ability to rise up and climb the chain without Feducci. He would give us what we already have and claim to be a visionary for it.

To advance in society, a person needs capital, a way to invest and grow that investment. Feducci's policies do nothing to give us that capital. Away with the rules and restrictions? Let the workers toil for pennies on the hour with no protection from injury and death, why don't you? Let the rich do as they please because, well, the rules and restrictions are gone. Let the drunkards and the addicts waste their lives away, enslaved to these substances, why don't you? Feducci's society has no place for these people, and he gives no way of reintegrating them into the workforce and the economy.

No, Feducci is no candidate for the every man. He's the one who gives false hope and leaves us with nothing more than what we already had.

--
    Azoth I, the Emissary of Cardinals - A Paramount Presence (not currently accepting new Proteges)
    Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
    Hesperidean.
    +6 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/28/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Napoleon III became President of France, then Emperor, partly due to his celebrity.

I thought it was due to his commitment to pneumatic tube-based policies! Swing voters will support whichever candidate pledges to provide the most pneumatic tubes - and they're right to do so.

--
    +5 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/29/2017
    You know, I've decided that the Jovial Contrarian is 100% sincere when he expresses bafflement at why people around him keep having heart attacks.

--
    +5 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/29/2017
    Plynkes wrote:
    unless I missed something, once you've done one of each for all three of them you've found out all there is to find out. ... If so I think I might knock it on the head for a spell, as it as lost its allure.

I understand that new things will happen next week, so I'll probably rejoin the fray then, though.

That's fair. But there is one other source of info on the candidates - their respective cards. So, you can always just play as usual, while keeping an eye out for those, until the second week!
    edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 6/29/2017

--
    +5 link
    Omega8520
    Omega8520

7/3/2017
    So, to summarise the new information:
    Feducci was a slaver (which we knew), a hypocrite (which we also knew) and is apparently bad with paperwork
    DTC is working with the Young Stags and rubberies, and not with the anarchists
    The Detective is serious enough about no corruption that she's lost most of her staff, and also doesn't quite seem to know what's going on with the fingerkings but is figuring it out
    edited by Omega8520 on 7/3/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Omega8520
    A Correspondent of measure and restraint, not-withstanding a tendancy to rush into things.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Menacing%20Seeker
    Northwards with Noman. At least they'll have company.
    +5 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

7/3/2017
    Oh man! I was right about Chuffy!

(Or did I give them the idea? That would be even cooler.)

--
    "Then tell Wind and Fire where to stop, but don't tell me."
    +5 link
    Amsfield
    Amsfield

7/4/2017
    I'm entirely unsure that I agree the DTC is without flaws, at least as far as running for office, maybe not as a human being; firstly, there is the whole 'temperance' thing itself. Prohibition infamously failed IRL, most players and I suspect more characters are drinkers and it's obvious to everyone but her that Mr Wines will squash that.
    Second, she has personally campaigned against a lot of people's characters. I know Feducci has killed a few of us, but we did start that fight, and whilst the ID has investigated us occasionally we tend to interact with her on a more friendly and profitable basis.
    Thirdly, those revolutionary connections still sting, despite her current denial of them. They are notorious for their callous disregard for the lives of bystanders and their own members, but she only severed ties after it affected someone she knew intimately got hurt. Conversly, many of those who would support her sweeping social reforms would in fact be alienated by her rejection of the revolutionaries.
    Lastly, more than her 'honey well', the identity of it's guards would concern most of her NPC supporters I think. The mere fact Chuffy is a supporter would put many of London's more respectable people off, let alone being blood related. (Incidentally, I really liked that revel, as I felt it added interesting depth to both characters.)

Ultimately though, I feel like she is losing because she seems to be the 'no fun' candidate, who is attacking many of the aspects people enjoy about the game, i.e. hedonistic revelry and Dickensian social structure. Feducci is winning because his platform apparently rewards the way the game is played and the arc players advance along, he is the big fun candidate so people overlook the frankly horrific things that one can discover about him. (Incidentally I think ID is closer to flawless and probably who is actually best for London, but my main is a self serving hedonist, so guess where his vote is going)
    edited by Amsfield on 7/4/2017

--
    Amsfield: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Amsfield
    A devotee of pleasures intellectual and fleshy. Always fabulously masked.
    Honoria Kastern: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Honoria%20Kastern
    A hunter, a shooter and a fisher. Also a patriotic busy body. Mildly corrupted.
    Maiser: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Maiser
    A young firebrand of obviously criminal intent.
    Venshik: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Venshik
    Not a nice person.
    Asmeria: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Asmeria
    Quiet, thoughtful and possibly mad. Excellent listener though. Favours grey.
    +5 link
    Leon McCarran
    Leon McCarran

7/4/2017
    The Detective is a most respectable lady, for whom I have the greatest respect, but her plans for reform are better kept within the justice system, which they chiefly concern.

On this I can very much agree. I supported the Detective originally, until I found out about her paranoia and this so-called "Grand Prosecution". Such a thing, if it could ever come to pass, could leave this city exposed and vulnerable. Also, her campaign and possible term is shaping up to be very rigid and unyielding. Any of us who have been here long can attest to the fact that an inflexible London is a broken London. I also must question her "logic" in inviting... those Three to London.

So I jumped ship and looked at the other two. While the Campaigner falls in line with Jenny, who I supported last year, she doesn't know the city like Jenny does. I feel that she will be quickly overwhelmed by everything and start handing out bans left and right. That just leaves Fenducci. I will be honest and admit that my past, er, dealings with him have shown me that he is completely untrustworthy. Do not misunderstand, he's a bloody charming old fellow and I do rather like him, but I don't know why he's doing this. Maybe he is bored and thinks the Mayorship will be some new thrill or maybe he is acting for another. However, I'll throw my lot in with him. If only to be ready to intercept whatever strange secrets and happenings pass through Blythenhale.
    edited by Leon McCarran on 7/4/2017

--
    "It seems that the Road has risen up to meet us sooner than we thought."
    --Leon McCarran; Bohemian, Scholar, Spy, and seeker of mysteries.
    +5 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/26/2017
    Sister Lydia is there! She can talk! That is a nice touch. I wonder if other companions will make an appearance if I keep cycling the randomizer?

--
    +5 link
    Raccoonajr
    Raccoonajr

6/26/2017
    Oh, I'll miss Sinning Jenny. I liked how she always called me petal.
    And I've surprised myself by backing Feducci. I'm too fond of honey and wine for the Campaigner and too much of a master thief for the Detective. I've killed Feducci in several duels so I'm kind of fond of the fellow.

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Raccoonajr
    +5 link
    Luminen Walker
    Luminen Walker

6/26/2017
    Sam Stephens wrote:
    Could anybody help me decide? I'm in a bit of a dilemma here. XD

The Campaigner has Tea. I don't believe any of the other candidates have promised beverages.

--
    1 - Cpt. Martin Walker, a Paramount and Marvellous Dreamer.
    2 - Ariana Crivelli, a silent and sagacious lady.
    +5 link
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Sir Joseph Marlen

6/26/2017
    TeslaWalker wrote:
    Sam Stephens wrote:

The Campaigner has Tea. I don't believe any of the other candidates have promised beverages.

I'll have you know the gents in blue are known for their coffee and donuts, thank you very much! wink

The candidates aren't perfect this year, but I'll take magical cartography and legal reckonings any day.

--
    Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
    Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
    Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
    Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
    +5 link
    Corvo
    Corvo

6/26/2017
    A bit late here, but I think I squealed a little bit in surprise when the Jenny and the last year candidates remembered who I backed, I particularly enjoyed the Contrarian's reaction when talking to him as a supporter of him in last years election (but then again, I might just be a sentimental fool :P). Anyways, like last year I choose Fixer as my campaign profession and cast my vote with Feducci,

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/raaret
    +5 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/26/2017
    So Feducci fought with the Republicans in Hell's Revolution, is taking huge bribes from the Presbyterate (to the surprise of no one), and his campaign manager is a Devil. It's kind of funny and very appropriate that he's using actual red flags for his standard.

--
    +5 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

6/28/2017
    Plynkes wrote:

I don't want to know about how worthy, noble or progressive candidates are, I want to learn interesting, quirky and funny things about them. I want to be entertained.

Mind, I didn't pick a candidate this year until I saw the investigation results since they don't appeal to me in character anyway, but funnily enough, that's precisely why I don't want Feducci to win.

The way I see it, Feducci is firmly rooted in plenty of Elder Continent content and that he will keep showing up and getting development anyway.

The other two candidates have very narrow focus in their previous appearences, and is either planning an ominous inquisition purge thing against law enforcement (Detective) or drugging Mr Eaten with honey (Campaigner), both of which makes for better trainwrecks than Feducci's insider trading and embezzling.

--
    Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
    I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
    +5 link
    LillianAranach
    LillianAranach

6/28/2017

And for all of his heroic acts against the aristocracy of hell, he seems to be very thick buddies with the devils of London...

Indubitably. He helped the devils of London overthrow the aristocracy of hell. The Princes are exiled. The devils of London are the revolutionaries who formed the current republic. It makes sense that he would be close with them if he directly aided against the aristocracy.

--
    They say, "There is a delightfully delectable corruption about Aranach, and she seeks to spread it, all the while revelling in truth and sin in equal parts."

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lillian%20Aranach
    +4 link
    Captain Blood Storm
    Captain Blood Storm

6/28/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    I can't put my finger on it, but Feducci's shady character and vague but over-the-top promises really remind me of someone...

Feducci:
    "When I win there will be so much winning, believe me, a really tremendous amount of winning. There will be so much winning that you will get so tired of winning and be like 'Feducci, can we win a little less?' I know how unfair the world is because I've cheated and schemed my whole life and because of that you can trust me to fix everything. I make the best gambles, believe me, and I'll make really good gambles for our city. So. Much. Winning."
    edited by Anne Auclair on 6/27/2017

• MAKE LONDON GREAT AGAIN!

--
    Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
  • +4 link
    Captain Blood Storm
    Captain Blood Storm

6/27/2017
    Kylestien wrote:
    dariuseng wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:

Feducci is a spy for the Presbyterate who is also allied with Hell. He is receiving cash bribes from the Presbyterate and his campaign manager is a Devil. His platform calls for a culling of legal and class restrictions in order to let people rise and fall as ability and chance dictate (among the restrictions he wants to remove are liquor licenses).

I am very, very skeptical that Feducci has the best interests of London at heart or that his platform is wholly sincere. This is a man who challenges people to duels to the death while being pretty much immortal, has a history of leading those who follow him to destruction (his Hallowmas confession), and is, again, on the Presbyters payroll.

Oh please, like the Campaigners revolutionary allies are any better. They wish for the collapse of all rules and law. And as for the duels to the death, last I checked his lances weren't tipped with Cantigaster venom and he doesn't chop up the body, so his opponents are free to return if they desire

They're not her "Revolutionary Allies", they're trying to get her to repay them for a debt.
    The DTC used to be close friends with the previous March of the Calendar Council, a March that for all intents and purposes was mellow and nice and got killed for not being as much of a die-hard revolutionary as the rest.

The Anarchists are indeed trying to pressure our Temperance Campaigner, but don't think they're *allied* with her.

I feel it important to note here that that is exactly how the Contrarian started. Then they took over the entire thing. Granted with the DTC at the helm that will be harder, but nonetheless.

• Honestly, the main reason I'm voting for Feducci is because while he may or may not be a backstabbing adrenaline junkie of a hypocrite, so far he seems to be the ONLY candidate not allied with those celestialcide obsessed madmen.

Better to ambiguously associate with Hell/Stone's pets, than mob rule in the Liberation.

--
    Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant and Twice-Dawnburnt Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
  • +4 link
    Vishiyra
    Vishiyra

6/27/2017
    Beware! The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner claims that she means to help the poor and the downtrodden of London, and yet she plans to restrict their most basic right of ownership--the ownership of their own souls! Every sapient being in London, no matter their antecedents, is born with a soul all their own which they and only they may choose to keep or sell. Who is the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner to take away this fundamental right?

Some may sell their souls to save their lives, or to soothe the pain of their broken hearts, or simply for a change in existence. Soul-selling can be the last hope of the desperate orphan starving in the alleyways of the Flit.

People of London, don't let the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner steal your choices.

Vote for Feducci and YOU retain the exclusive right to choose the fate of your soul.
    +4 link
    Hubris Glamore
    Hubris Glamore

6/27/2017
    Well the curtain is coming down on my old friend Jenny and I need a new horse to back for the coming political year. Who do we have in the running?

Ah dear old DTC, your idealism is refreshing in this city. But the problem with someone in power who intends to act in what they believe is in your best interests is that you cannot hope to reason with them to the contrary. If they're doing this for your own good, why would you be able to dissuade them? I do appreciate the push for more tea on the market though. Tea is lovely. I would miss my wine and honey though. It's a handy asset and an occasionally enjoyment. No, I'd rather not have my freedoms curtailed there. Although I have to confess I'd be interested to see a honey-well constructed if only to experiment with it.

Then there's my old friend Feducci who I trust to honour debts and participate in any promising bloodbath while profiting and not a inch further. He's a fascinating associate and rival with a past so chequered you could play a truly interesting game of chess upon it with a dozen players. But his idea of fairness is to simply to dump everyone in the ring and let the strongest crush the others, for what truer fairness is there to the bandaged prince of death is there than death delivered to the weak by the strong? Certainly I know a few stuffed shirts who could stand to be dragged down a few pegs, but the frail, the elderly and the sick? Feducci's programme of fairness is darwinism dressed in good PR and nothing more. On his backers I won't comment. We all have debts to pay and I doubt even he is free of those commitments.

Which leaves me option 3.

The Implacable Detective is a clever colleague in the search for truth and secrets, an old friend on the force, a fellow scholar of the Dilmun Club and occasionally she'll attempt to arrest me if I've been a little too brazen in my own endevours. It's a delightful little diversion. She recognises the value of friends in low places, best noted by the chess games she plays with a certain publican it would not be in my best interests to identify. Heavens know we have a crime problem though granted, plenty of those crims are carrying badges but that's neither here or there. What does interest me is that my old associate is as inscrutable as ever. All her accounts are in order, with the single glaring anomaly being all the budgeting she's investing in her plans for a Grand Prosecution. This is a bigger move than simply beefing up the Constabulary. The target here is clearly much more powerful than the sort of people who would run afoul of the Velocipede Squad (That is, practically everyone who isn't on the velocipede squad, but mostly the poor). Whose prosecution could she possibly need to invest such resources in? Criminal kingpins such as the Cheery Man, the Gracious Widow, the Topsy King or Feducci? Possible, but unlikely. The Masters? Also unlikely, she'd have observed Jenny's hamstrung reign there. I'm more inclined to suspect her to make a move against someone like our own dear enduring Empress. Untouchable by most channels, yes, but not untouchable to the level of the Masters. That I would be interested to see. The Detective plays the long game well and I doubt we'll see the target of her ire until all her pieces are in place. Until such time I expect she'll remain inscrutable as ever.

Inscrutability or no though, DTC and Feducci would both offer beneficial changes, but the strings attached to those are a little too unpleasant to secure my support. This of course therefore brings me to...

The Only Logical Conclusion.

--
    Hubris Glamore is an ambitious gentleman with entirely more schemes than is healthy.

Happy to entertain all manner of interactions and has a fondness for roleplaying.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hubris%20Glamore
    +4 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/27/2017
    There was an old chap well-bandaged,
    He fought fair in a game of advantage,
    Beyond recognition,
    He grants all addiction,
    Feducci will win by chantage.

--
    Profiles: Shally, Chimes & Jack~of~Smiles . . . Current Goal:
    +4 link
    Pnakotic
    Pnakotic

6/26/2017
    Oh hell, do I really have to choose between my love of tea, love of swordplay, and love of a good mystery?

--
    J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
    +4 link
    Amaranth the Liar
    Amaranth the Liar

6/27/2017
    I fail to see how any Londoner in his right mind could side with a stern, stern detective, or that sour-faced Temperance Campaigner. Are we not drowning in taxes and regulations already? Are the Constables and agents of the law not meddling in our lives enough? Not to mention how stratified our community has become. Enough of that, I say!

By supporting Feducci, we will be one step closer to granting society a more egalitarian and accepting environment. By Joshua, we have ladies and gentlemen here with the faces of squid! How could we be so intolerant? We must remedy that immediately, and our bandaged friend is sure to help us in that matter.

I have personally met with Feducci on several occasions, and although mysterious, he surely is a man with a sense of justice and fairness. Although I very much appreciate the rule of the Masters, I believe the less entanglements with law, the better off London will be. I shall be campaigning for him, and anyone who wishes to contribute towards his election can feel free to contact me. All support in this regard is very much appreciated.

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well.

--
    Canon Amaranth, who forgives and forgets. Performer of Secret Rites. Collector of Puzzles. Curator of Stories and Curious Artefacts. Pretentious Name-Giver, Liar and Thief.
    Married to Michelle Palmer, who is fearsome and beautiful as the Zee in storm.
    Available for all sorts of social interactions and witty banter, if you're polite enough. Ask for clues and you'll be gifted riddles in return.

"Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti."
    +4 link
    BlabberingMat
    BlabberingMat

6/26/2017
    Awww, I like that she remembers who we voted for last year. It is also really bittersweet piece of text...

--
    Alt-Lana Loter
    Main-Always Drunk Slav

+4 link
    Fadewalker
    Fadewalker

6/26/2017
    [spoiler]

Last year:
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22610-new-festival-election.aspx#post151410
    [/spoiler]
    edited by Fadewalker on 6/26/2017

--
    A fervent supporter of the Council and the Masters.
    +4 link
    Absintheuse
    Absintheuse

6/26/2017
    BlabberingMat wrote:
    What is the purpose of Influence over Election?

A player's vote is counted by combining their Election career level, Notability, and Influencing the Election quality, so the more you have, the more votes go toward your chosen candidate
    +4 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

7/3/2017
    I think, given the FL fanbase, that being a Mary Sue is actually a significant disadvantage in this setting. Insofar as many people have a lot of fun with the "ooh, cartoon evil!" parts of the setting.

--
    Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
    +4 link
    hellaGumshoe
    hellaGumshoe

7/3/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    Has anyone changed loyalties because of the new info, and why? (*Takes notes*)

I'd like to say that I've officially changed sides, from Detective to the Dauntless. I had something of a difficult time choosing between them at the beginning, and Jenny's support plus Dauntless denouncing the revolutionaries in her updated Flash Lay was enough to convince me to switch sides.

--
    main account.

+4 link
    Trilby
    Trilby

7/7/2017
    Edward Warren wrote:
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we are faced a difficult dilemma in this election. All of us can agree, we must pick the candidate who can do the most good for London. But we must also pick the one who can bring about the changes that will last the LONGEST.

As sad as it is to admit, Our Fair City has fallen far from the greatness of old, and I don't just mean figuratively. Crime, poverty, and the moral degradation of society are all crucial issues to tackle. However, consider this: for all the power the Mayor of London holds, he/she will only be in office for a year. Should we not approach this dilemma in a sensible way, reforming our city will prove a Sisyphean task, one that can never be completed.

The Campaigner and the Detective both face uphill struggles, facing a myriad of organizations and institutions who will no doubt vehemently resist their efforts to bring about their reforms. And that does not even begin to factor in the power of the Masters, who both enjoy the honey trade and the corruption of government officials. How much will they be able to actually do for London, bogged down by a constant struggle against the considerable forces arrayed against them? Even if by miraculous chance they manage to enact their reforms near the end of the year, they will soon be gone anyway. And then it will be a simple matter for the powers that be to reverse these changes, loosen restrictions, and reinstate certain corrupt parties.

We must come to terms with a rather sad fact: neither the Campaigner nor the Detective's goals will do much of anything to improve the lives of the downtrodden in any meaningful capacity. It is sad but true. Their intentions are pure, but less honey in the dens and fewer judges on the benches will do little to impact the lives of the downtrodden everyman. If they had more time, perhaps we'd see some benefit in the long run, but time is sadly a luxury we sorely lack.

However, all is not lost. There is still a candidate with a real plan for change, who's daring strategy can make a meaningful change during the mere year of his term.

Where his opponents stand to face a lengthy legal battle, Feducci offers the people of London the chance to elevate themselves now. A chain that can be climbed by all! Where fortunes, wealth, and a better standard of living can be won by all people willing to seek them. By the time Feducci's term ends, who knows how many of London's corrupt elites will be in the gutter, how many good and decent people who never had the chance to prosper will have newfound fortune?

Citizens, I implore you to choose the candidate who's plan will touch the most lives! The plan that gives the people the fair chance they need right now! For a better London, for a Fair London, I implore you!

VOTE FEDUCCI!

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think your implying Mr Irons would be upset seeing the navy's officials cleaned of the New Sequence's influence.
    Or having our enforcers of the law be cleared of internal criminal and revolutionary elements, thus enhancing their efficiency and credibility.
    edited by Agent 'Trilby' on 7/7/2017

--
    |````^"""""""""""""""""""'^```|
    |__________________________|
    +4 link
    phryne
    phryne

6/30/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    My campaigner has developed a Blackwings Absinthe habit while campaigning for temperance
    See? That's what temperance does to you! :P

--
    my accounts, with all 4 Ambitions completed: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesisBag a Legend, again
    Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
    +4 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/30/2017
    phryne wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    My campaigner has developed a Blackwings Absinthe habit while campaigning for temperance

It feels kinda awesome ^_^ Yay temperance!

--
    +3 link
    Alysian
    Alysian

6/30/2017
    I am loving this election season so far but it makes me feel just a little guilty that as a Campaigner my response to a kind stranger Fixing my menaces is to turn around and rattle a cup at them for donations; I feel an obligation to apologize in my response to their Fix before even sending my solicitation. I know in the big picture we are all working towards the same goal, but it does make me feel awkward.

--
    Alysian, gone North, grieved, gone.

Alybye, A Midnighter available for children's parties. No appointment necessary.
    +3 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/2/2017
    Trilby wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    phryne wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:

Compleatly unrelated topic;

If it's completely unrelated, then it probably doesn't belong in the election thread. This isn't a thread where we discuss changes to regular game mechanics. It's a thread were we talk about election mechanics and content.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/2/2017

--
    +3 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

7/1/2017
    Teaspoon wrote:
    I will definitely agree that if I had to pick a candidate to beat up somebody else on my behalf, it'd be Feducci.

Pretty sure that's something everyone can agree on, whether or not they want him for mayor.

I'd rather go for the Bishop of Southwark, that man could wrestle Mt. Nomad and come out on top.

--
    A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
    +3 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

6/28/2017

I've seen few if any Feducci supporters who seemed to actually believe that his idea of a society where you can literally gamble for your social status (as per the opportunity card snippet) would be in any way executable.

And fewer still who think he'll stand by it, or mean anything he says.

Why do people think Feducci is even remotely trustworthy and will do anything he says?

--
    Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
    A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
    But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
    +3 link
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Sir Joseph Marlen

6/29/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    So I'm not the only one subtly reminded of the King in Yellow with Fixer, am I? I'm a Repairer of Reputations!

The King in Yellow?

It's been a while since I've read it, but The King in Yellow is a short story series about a play by the same name that leads readers of its script into maddening revelations of a deity-like godking. In one of these stories, The Repairer of Reputations, a man named Mr Wilde uses a spycraft system of blackmail and influence to manipulate mass coverups to save the reputations of the famous and powerful from scandal.
    edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/29/2017

--

+3 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

7/3/2017
    The only character of mine considering changing candidate is Jack. He's with the Detective right now, as a strict 'Licentiate' adhering to judicial executions. Totally above board.. probably. (He's doing a Dexter)

But Ms Dauntless has taken up with Clay men and Rubberies now, and she's got some brass on her to step up to her own fights like she did. Commendable.

Plus.. she seems to have a place for honey and larks after all. Albeit a dimly lit subterranean place for it. Perhaps she will compromise on vices if it's kept behind closed doors. Cellar doors. So that polite society marches on; in denial perhaps, but relatively fenced off from unfortunate habits.

edited by Shalinoth on 7/3/2017

--
    +3 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

7/3/2017
    Fair points on the Dauntless lack of flaws.
    The Depthless Temperance Campaigner! ..I jest.

But to be fair when your entire platform is Prim and Proper you don't go into it with skeletons in the closet? The Clays and Rubberies don't have skeletons either, so they have that in common. While she has spine enough for all of them, mind you, when challenged.

I'm keeping my three characters voting for three separate candidates anyway, I think.

--
    +3 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

7/3/2017
    The concept of "Mary Sues" is an interesting one, and one I'd happily discuss elsewhere, but I will point out that, last year, the only skeleton to emerge from the Bishop's closet was the dubious attribution of some love poems.

--
    +3 link
    Sam Stephens
    Sam Stephens

6/26/2017
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm strongly considering the Campaigner for my candidate. She claims to be helping the poor, after all. Do I really need mushroom wines more than the poor need food?

On the other hand, I have some ties pulling me towards the Detective. I began as a detective myself, and we're fellow members of the Dilmun Club. How could I look her in the eye at meetings unless I lend her my vote?

--
    Hello, delicious friends! I can be found here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sam%20Stephens

I'm open to all non-menacing social actions. I particularly enjoy a good mystery. I'm also a Corespondent who can teach at your Orphanage.
    +3 link
    GoingFTL
    GoingFTL

6/26/2017
    I'm supporting Dauntless. Sure, she hates us, but she looks to be the best option, to continue last year's trend of helping the poor. Feducci may promise change, but remember his loyalties.
    Edit: Misread.
    edited by GoingFTL on 6/26/2017
    +3 link
    Akernis
    Akernis

6/26/2017
    GoingFTL wrote:
    Dauntless has the Watchful boots. Sure, she hates us, but she looks to be the best option, to continue last year's trend of helping the poor. Feducci may promise change, but remember his loyalties.

No, she doesn't. The boots are linked to the Campaigner career, not to any of the candidates.

--
    Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
    +3 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

6/26/2017
    Fate. Fate will cure what ails you.

--
    I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
    +3 link
    Rostygold
    Rostygold

6/26/2017
    Spitfire Youngster wrote:
    We get one uptight society lady, one Constabulary boot licker, and an undead killer.

I say, let's get killing.

The undead killer is also a spy, makes deals with devils, and is pretty much a cheat at his own death-duel game.
    +3 link
    dov
    dov

6/27/2017
    narcomanic wrote:
    Having the same problem. Though I'm not sure why accepting must be done through another social action and not simply clicking to accept the help.

This is part of the recent upgrade to social actions (and how menace help requests/offers, calling cards, patron/protege etc. interactions work).

This has at least a couple of distinct advantages:
    • There are more varied options than just Accept/Decline. Currently, there are usually 2 different ways to accept (with different results) and an option to decline.
    • This gives the option (long requested by the community) of sending back a reply message, whether you accept the social action or decline it.
    However, the implementation is still a bit buggy at times. And this can result with you having a message in your queue which you can do nothing with, not even decline it (because even to decline you have to choose the target of your social action, and if the qualities of either of you aren't what they should be your friend won't be eligible).

In any such case, I'd recommend to send the details (including your character's name) to support@failbettergames.com. This is the only way for FBG to track and ultimately fix such issues.

--
    +3 link
    Pnakotic
    Pnakotic

6/27/2017
    ..."honey-well"?

Ohhh... this can only end badly.

--
    J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
    +3 link
    Azreal DuCain
    Azreal DuCain

6/27/2017
    As a Fervent Campaigner I would like to say a few words about our candidates.

Firstly, I'm sad to see Jenny go. I didn't vote for her, it's true. During the last election I voted for my favorite debate partner, who I sometimes don't want to push down the stairs in frustration: The Jovial Contrarian. Even so I have found Jenny has done her best to make the city a better place than it was before using the time and resources she had available. I hope that whoever wins this election shall do the same to the best of their ability.

Secondly, I should like to say that I don't like or trust ANY of the candidates this year but I may as well vote for someone. So I'm voting for the detective.

Feducci: Legalize everything. EVERYTHING.
    Temperance Campaigner: Ban everything. EVERYTHING.
    Implacable Detective: Investigate everything. EVERYTHING.

Maybe the detective might have half a crack at tackling police corruption, eh? We can hope, at least. The Temperance Lass doesn't seem concerned about that and Feducci, fun-loving guy though he may be, dear friend of my heart he is for certain, is NOT. HELPING. A significant portion of the suffering in London could be alleviated with a competent, trustworthy, and impartial police force. Instead we have a force split in two and serving two different masters, neither of them Justice. Law enforcement in this city takes orders from only two places: Society and their own wallets. They investigate crimes on behalf of anyone else with only the most sluggish reluctance. The "Special Constables" aren't even real cops. They are simply an extension of the "Ministry of Public Decency", the organization openly acting as the private thieves guild of Mr. Pages.
    The Temperance Lass wouldn't need to be quite so dauntless if the cops gave a damn and did their jobs right. Competent cops are hard to find in this city and honest cops are even rarer. It's no wonder so many citizens turn to crime when the only difference between most cops and the criminals they pursue is that the gangs known as "The Coppers", "The Pennies", and "The Constables" have badges.

With the increased police spending the Implacable Detective is promising perhaps we shall see some long overdue reforms. We can certainly hope.
    edited by Azreal DuCain on 6/27/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Azreal%20DuCain
    +3 link
    Pyar
    Pyar

6/27/2017
    The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner is campaigning for **Temperance**. THAT MEANS NO DRINKING. Ludicrous. I fail to see how anyone can take her campaign seriously.

Between the other two, well the last constable I was close with was, well the Last Constable. And maybe Feducci's goals of fairness would apply to my poor, abused Rubbery love.

So I'm throwing my hat in with Feducci. If any of his supports run into trouble and need something fixed, please let me help.

--
    "Pyar is a dizzying amalgamation of the sophisticated and the scandalous, of the respectable and the bizarre" --Slowcake's Exceptionals

Seeking friends and acquaintances of all sorts.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyar
    +3 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/26/2017
    TeslaWalker wrote:
    MartzelDePamplona wrote:
    [I started with The Campaigner. Then in checking deeper into her campaign, I found that she had close ties to the Anarchists. Anyone who is willing to help with the Liberation of the Night gets a hard pass from me. We'll see what dirty secrets I can dig up on the other two and then I'll decide which one I'm going to give my vote to.

It isn't close ties to anarchists, it's anarchists squatting on old connections. I doubt she's the LoN candidate with her being the church candidate.

Some old ties make sense. Wasn't March her brother? Or at the least a very dear friend? Given that the Calendar Council murdered March for being insufficiently dedicated to the LoN, I doubt Campaigner's all that keen on them. But March's old friends might be keen on her.

btw, Sinning Jenny's Finishing School does not have an election related card upset
    edited by Anne Auclair on 6/26/2017

--
    +3 link
    Sam Stephens
    Sam Stephens

6/26/2017
    Sam Stephens wrote:
    I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm strongly considering the Campaigner for my candidate. She claims to be helping the poor, after all. Do I really need mushroom wines more than the poor need food?

On the other hand, I have some ties pulling me towards the Detective. I began as a detective myself, and we're fellow members of the Dilmun Club. How could I look her in the eye at meetings unless I lend her my vote?

Naturally, I'd invite you to join the cause of the Temperance Campaign, being as I have sided with our dignified lady.
    If you're not familiar with the Temperance movement in the 19th century, it had strong ties to Women's Suffrage (equality) and Animal Rights, so it's not only helping the poor, it's helping everyone who's finding himself at a disadvantage for being born different in our beautiful little London.

If you find yourself on our side of the fray, be sure to hit up our donations page, we have some fixers who'd be more than pleased to offer you some scandal and suspicon cures, and plenty are willing to donate if you happen to be a campaigner.

I wasn't aware of that, thanks! You learn something new every day. Temperance worked out a bit differently in America. Organized crime thrived during the Prohibition, since alcohol was an easy way to fund their other operations. But that's not here or there. Thanks for the info! I just chose the Campaigner as my candidate. I'm a Fixer, same as last year, so I'll be helping you all from the shadows. wink

--
    Hello, delicious friends! I can be found here: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sam%20Stephens

I'm open to all non-menacing social actions. I particularly enjoy a good mystery. I'm also a Corespondent who can teach at your Orphanage.
    +3 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

6/26/2017
    And if that card has tea, I will consider the short stories and money and all my favours in high places well spent.

--

+3 link
    SirKwint
    SirKwint

6/26/2017
    And I continue to wonder, my dearest fellow Londoners - will we ever see a Master on a campaign for a Mayor.
    Yes, they are not into politics. But definitely into money and power smile

--
    Truly and honorably yours,
    SirKwint

Curiosity killed a lot of cats. And counting...
    +3 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/27/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    From the text in Hastings Square: "..several constables are attempting to find a good rhyme for the Implacable Detective."

Let's have a try...

There once was an Implacable Detective,
    Whose casing-solving mode was defective,
    She made false accusations,
    At folks of all stations,
    And so garnered not votes but invective.

Rather feeble, but it's a long time since I was a poet in Veilgarden, and I'm out of honey. smile

--
    +3 link
    Ark Gavrilov
    Ark Gavrilov

6/27/2017
    Go for Feducci. Either nothing really changes after he wins, or there will be definitely much more fun in the game )))
    I'm open for giving/receiving donations and other activities.

Yours,
    Ark G
    +3 link
    æsc
    æsc

6/27/2017
    There are good and bad reasons for all of them! Cecily cannot quite bring herself to vote for DTC, after having her reputation so thoroughly abused by her for so many years. Also, while supporting wholeheartedly the continuation of Jenny's work on behalf of the poor, she also feels that true scholarship often seems to require honey.

The Detective is a useful ally, but narrow-minded and wants to give more power to the police, who already are a rather corrupt problem in London.

Which leaves Feducci, who is probably a bad idea. But he's an old friend, and part of us cannot help but want to press the shiny button to see what happens. Scholarship also requires risk. After all, do we not read the Correspondence even though we may lose our eyebrows? So while it is not a wholehearted endorsement, we have decided to throw in with the not-a-tomb-colonist.

--
    Dr Cecily Morgan
    an inescapable, sagacious, irresistible and breathtaking lady.
    Devoted Scholar of the Correspondance, Author, and Excellent Dancer.

No photographers please. Most pleasant socials, invitations and calling cards welcome. Happy to accept Guest of Honour invites to salons looking for Authors.
    +3 link
    Kylestien
    Kylestien

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Kylestien wrote:
    I feel it important to note here that that is exactly how the Contrarian started. Then they took over the entire thing. Granted with the DTC at the helm that will be harder, but nonetheless.

They didn't take over, they were always part of the Contrarian's campaign...because the Contrarian is a member of the Calendar Council :P

The Contrariant was thoughly against them taking over, which is rare for a man who goes back and forwards on everything.

--
    I will accept all actions, though I hold the right to refuse for my own reasons. However, if you explain WHY you send me a harmful action like Loitering or Dantes,And I feel the reason good, I will consider it more. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kylestien

Paramount Presense. Any lesson you desire to learn, I shall impart it. (:
    +3 link
    dariuseng
    dariuseng

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    In a lot of ways one might say that the Campaigner is fighting to expand Jenny's legacy of modest reform into something far more expansive.

And yet I see no mention of the urchins or the rubbery men. Do they not deserve the help and freedom the Campaigner promises others.

Feducci does not distinguish between race or birth, he promises everyone the chance to rise to new heights.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Morgan%20Hood
    +3 link
    Gul al-Ahlaam
    Gul al-Ahlaam

6/28/2017
    Except Feducci is brilliant, and shrewd, and has the capacity to, among other things, open trade with the Presbyterate. Even if he did nothing else, that alone would be more than worth electing him, in my opinion. They've got so many resources, so much advanced technology, such an extraordinarily developed and sophisticated culture, that it would be foolish not to get as much as we can from such an arrangement.

• --
    The Uncanny Hierophant.
    The Jewel-Eyed Prince.
  • +3 link
    Philip Wolf
    Philip Wolf

6/28/2017
    My problem with the investigator is that if she does win and get in power, well, there's a saying about absolute power. Don't get me wrong, this does apply to the other candidates, but someone fighting corruption and getting corrupted? Seems like an old story to me. Also, the Campaigner has a habit of throwing aside the things that trouble her. (honey-well). I like what she says, but not what she does.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Philip%20Wolf
    +3 link
    Zack Oak
    Zack Oak

6/28/2017
    Tintinnabulum wrote:
    Zack Oak wrote:
    On top of that, its menace reduction is three steps. Send, accept, act. It's more complicated and less efficient than normal menace reducing social actions

Wait, that's how it's supposed to work? I received a message and clicked Respond, and on the response page the acceptance led to the invite-a-contact page (on which the original sender wasn't an option). Should it have? If so that seems weird and clunky.

Fixers advancing their influence level is like a rube goldberg machine, man. I'm still figuring it out. If I can understand it correctly, it goes like this:
    Step 1: Fixer finds a fellow supporter who has suspicion or menace. Sends them a request to reduce their menace.
    Step 2: Recipient agrees or declines. Fixer gains a quality that allows them to proceed to step 3
    Step 3: Fixer begins a storylet to get 7 "correcting a suspicious record" or "Correcting a scandalous record."
    Step 4: Fixer turns their "correcting" quality into "a reputation for fixing things"
    Step 5: If a Fixer's "a reputation for fixing things" quality is twice their influence, they may increase their influence. Otherwise, repeat steps 2-4 until it is.
    It's ludicrously complicated and a complete action sink. I gave up and went to campaigner, where I only need three steps of action and helpful friends for the process.

--
    Tumblr RP Account
    Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
    +3 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/28/2017
    I'd say most of the people who are into Fallen London support their candidate for some combination of In-Character and Out-Of-Character reasons. There are no doubt some who choose based entirely on OOC desires, just as there are those who RP *everything.* Let's not waste time categorizing each other - there's an election to fight!

--
    +3 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/28/2017
    Pnakotic wrote:

How is supporting a candidate pledged to improving class mobility "detachment from the setting"? Bit of a strawman, isn't that?

You misunderstand, I wasn't strawmanning anyone, I was just making a (mostly correct) analysis that many Feducci Supporters -at least the ones active on the forums- seem to support him from a less political and more adventurous point of view.

I've seen few if any Feducci supporters who seemed to actually believe that his idea of a society where you can literally gamble for your social status (as per the opportunity card snippet) would be in any way executable.

Having an adventurous point of view can be completely In-Character. Lots of people vote for candidates because they're flashy or have a famous name or will make things a bit more interesting. Napoleon III became President of France, then Emperor, partly due to his celebrity. So, it's not detachment from the setting, it's not caring within the setting.

--
    +3 link
    Lady Sapho Byron
    Lady Sapho Byron

6/28/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Hell, we have three "bribe me" threads currently - so there are definitely players who want to be bribed :P

I wonder how many of the bribe-ees will hold up there end of the bargain?

• --
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
  • +2 link
    Zack Oak
    Zack Oak

6/28/2017
    I'm not going to lie, I'm not having fun with being a fixer. Its sole purpose of menace reduction requires the person doing the cures of one of two menaces to reach out, meaning players with a need will be bombarded with requests from me and others, rather than the menaced player being able to ask for help when they need or want it. On top of that, its menace reduction is three steps. Send, accept, act. It's more complicated and less efficient than normal menace reducing social actions, making it easily the worst out of all three campaign professions. I don't see a point to playing one, and really wish I'd chosen campaigner so I could keep my progress and have enjoyed the content for the festival.
    edited by ZackOak on 6/28/2017

--
    Tumblr RP Account
    +2 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

6/28/2017
    Corvo wrote:
    Ah, I see, and there's a better way to grind Fixer than doing Flash lays and Investigations this year? Or am I just misunderstanding? I mean, doing both is a bit time consuming but not that bothersome, but I'd still pick an easier, more efficient, way if there was on.

Nope, as far as I'm aware you have to do both. What I meant is that this year everyone is so annoyed with the Influence grinding for fixers that good old career advancement isn't really talked about.

Also by doing both (and getting spare Public Attentions) you really get a lot of Making Waves when trading them in. Whereas the other two professions can spend less effort on their career, but even if they decide to grind more they don't get a similar reward - they can only trade in their excess election resources for some moderately valuable items.
    edited by Dudebro Pyro on 6/28/2017

--
    Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
    For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
    +2 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

6/28/2017
    Ylem wrote:
    Can someone confirm that the only things you can do at the ball are: Mingle/leave, Speak to Jenny, Praise Jenny, Speak to the Bishop, Speak to the Contrarian? Unless you have Lydia, then I know she's an option for something.

Lydia's the comedy option, but yes, that should be all.

Allegedly if you have an election companion from last year they might pipe up. Allegedly.

--
    +2 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/28/2017
    I just noticed in a donation of booze I made to the cause.. the DTC gang are making a game of seeing how fast they can pour alcohol down the gutters. Perhaps the anarchists will set fire to the sewers and party in the intoxicating fumes? Or maybe some terrible gutter-monster will come drunkenly to the surface, hah.

--
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/28/2017
    Zack Oak wrote:
    Don't they murder everyone who reaches a hundred years of age?

A thousand. A hundred-year-limit's an exceptional punishment for the families of certain lawbreakers.

--
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/27/2017
    Corvo wrote:
    QUick question people, is there anyone here that during last years election's changed candidate? And, if so, did the interaction with the candidates in Sinning Jenny's farewell ball changed or not? Like, say, did the Bishop have any different liens if you started as a supporter of him then switched to the Contrarian/Jenny? Sorry for the random question, the thought just popped into my mind and I was wondering if Failbetter paid attention to that little detail, seeing as they had the former candidates remember if your character backed them or not.

I switched briefly to the Contrarian to get the Reactionary Tomb Colonist - and I foolishly did it only after I had gotten a substantial amount of election career :P The Bishop and Contrarian conversations weren't any different.

--
    +2 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/28/2017
    Akernis wrote:
    LillianAranach wrote:

And for all of his heroic acts against the aristocracy of hell, he seems to be very thick buddies with the devils of London...

Indubitably. He helped the devils of London overthrow the aristocracy of hell. The Princes are exiled. The devils of London are the revolutionaries who formed the current republic. It makes sense that he would be close with them if he directly aided against the aristocracy.

Indeed, even amongst devils he helps the little guy stand up against tyranny.

Oh god, this backwards logic is making my eyes bleed. Retreat! Retreat!

--
    +2 link
    Akernis
    Akernis

6/28/2017

Don't worry, I am well aware of how ridiculous such an argument is. It was mostly for fun.
    One might as well have countered with 'only amongst the devils does he help the little guy', or point out that there really is no innocence at play at all when dealing with the politics of Hell.
    And while I do think that the devils we have now are the lesser evil compared to their monstrous princes and princesses*, they are still devils. But that is irrelevant to the election at hand.

*Of course, me being my nefarious self just means that makes me want to meet and work with them all the more.

--
    +2 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/28/2017
    Akernis wrote:

Don't worry, I am well aware of how ridiculous such an argument is. It was mostly for fun.
    One might as well have countered with 'only amongst the devils does he help the little guy', or point out that there really is no innocence at play at all when dealing with the politics of Hell.
    And while I do think that the devils we have now are the lesser evil compared to their monstrous princes and princesses*, they are still devils. But that is irrelevant to the election at hand.

*Of course, me being my nefarious self just means that makes me want to meet and work with them all the more.

I get it, though.

Feducci's supporters are primarily players who feel a fairly large degree of detachment with their characters or the actual setting, so they pick the option that's most likely to amuse them and stir up things. Either that, or their player characters are so powerful already that they'll only really be able to benefit from Feducci's victory.

As a DTC supporter, I'm just looking at it from a serious roleplaying perspective, trying to argue for what I'd personally want to happen if I was a citizen of London. I think that that's been fairly well proven by the degree of effort I'm putting into this whole campaign business, and the amount of scrutinizing I'm doing (see the google doc in my signature for proof, I've written everything but the name-list myself).

I think I'm getting too carried away at times, I absolutely love campaigning but I'm making it more of a hot-button issue than it is.

--
    +2 link
    Louvelune
    Louvelune

6/28/2017
    I LOVE the choice of candidates this year.

Sinning Jenny had no serious contender because she won over both social-minded and badassery-enclined citizens. No one else could outweigh the combined force of the do-gooders and the self-serving lawless!

... And so now, we get to set the two groups *against* each other. Let's see who shouts the loudest. <3

I threw my support behind the Detective, after a long hard thinking, because I figure if either of the two others win, they won't care whether I supported them or not; she might be cross!
    Also, her plan to investigate the authorities might be foolish, but no more than "let's take down all the oppressors" the two others are promising. And if anyone has a shot at actually getting *some* of their grand plan to fruition, it's her and no one else (assuming Feducci's plan isn't to just wreck havoc of course), I think.

But unlike last year, I'm LOVING this season and I don't think I'll mind any of the three getting to power, it'll be a fascinating year anyway this plays out... \m/
    +2 link
    Pnakotic
    Pnakotic

6/27/2017
    IHNIWTR wrote:
    I can't believe I'm supporting the campaigner, but there you have it

the explanatory text on her card absolutely won me over

[spoiler]The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner tears herself away from a brisk conversation with a member of Humble Order of Mudlarkers and Steeplejacks to answer your questions.

"I have dedicated my life to fighting exploitation. Yes, I've fought the honey-pushers, who addict dreamers, and the drink-dealers who poison mothers and fathers. But I'm here to fight the factory-owners, the landlords, the bankers who drive our citizens into such harmful escapes. We must help the addled and afflicted, provide houses of respite and healing. And tea. I am in favour of tea." She smiles and gives you a firm handshake, before marching away to menace a notoriously unscrupulous landlord.[/spoiler]

I'd take housing for the poor over speculative investment and more brutal policing any day

Ah, but don't you know the old saying? "Put a roof over a man and you've housed him today; subject a man to brutal policing and the rest of his life... well *ahem* perhaps it's just better we discuss something more up lifting than poverty..

--
    J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

+2 link
    Vinai Vinri
    Vinai Vinri

6/27/2017
    Plynkes wrote:
    Sister Lydia is there! She can talk! That is a nice touch. I wonder if other companions will make an appearance if I keep cycling the randomizer?

BlabberingMat wrote:
    I am still mingling XD. Partly because I am waiting for good people here on forums to gather list of items that can be chosen. I don't wanna miss out on something like boots last year

Aw, I already left. I was hoping there would be more, but I guess I didn't have the patience to keep cycling through to check for some thing new. (I'm also really tired and wasn't thinking... I assumed there was nothing more after a few rounds. I mean, actions points weren't used up so why didn't I?! Ha, I suppose I should restrain from voting for a while. Maybe even choosing a career).

Huh. This is just me throwing in some thoughts, nothing important, meh. Have a nice day. (This is actually my first post, so I'm a little more awkward and confused than I normally am.... also wishing forums had strike through. ..and small font, but oh well)

--
    I really should get some sleep...
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/27/2017
    Pnakotic wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Rostygold wrote:
    The kicker here is that, for all of you people's arguments in the threads for the candidates, whoever wins, his/her term would not be any more impactful than Jenny's.

The most that might be obtained from any winner is a premium story accessible only to paying players, and a card that everyone gets.

Well, at the minimum there will be:

1. A free story staring the Mayor at a future festival (last year it was the Festival of the Zee).
    2. The Mayoral influence card.
    3. A premium story for a modest fate price that leaves you and London with something permanent.
    4. A special Christmas card, again purchased with fate.
    5. A special Hallowmas confession/Mr Huffam conversation.
    6. One last Mayoral event at the end of term that introduces the new candidates (in Jenny's case a ball).

We also had the chance to interact with Jenny at the Fruits of the Sea festival, so that's another seasonal possibility.

I had that listed under number 1...

--
    +2 link
    Autonomous
    Autonomous

6/27/2017
    IHNIWTR wrote:

[spoiler]The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner tears herself away from a brisk conversation with a member of Humble Order of Mudlarkers and Steeplejacks to answer your questions.

"I have dedicated my life to fighting exploitation. Yes, I've fought the honey-pushers, who addict dreamers, and the drink-dealers who poison mothers and fathers. But I'm here to fight the factory-owners, the landlords, the bankers who drive our citizens into such harmful escapes. We must help the addled and afflicted, provide houses of respite and healing. And tea. I am in favour of tea." She smiles and gives you a firm handshake, before marching away to menace a notoriously unscrupulous landlord.[/spoiler]

I'd take housing for the poor over speculative investment and more brutal policing any day

Actually, the poor are pretty cool with Feducci.

"Promises of a chain that can be climbed has sparked hope in London’s poor."

--
    I go Sharp
    +2 link
    Amaranth the Liar
    Amaranth the Liar

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Feducci is a spy for the Presbyterate who is also allied with Hell. He is receiving cash bribes from the Presbyterate and his campaign manager is a Devil. His platform calls for a culling of legal and class restrictions in order to let people rise and fall as ability and chance dictate (among the restrictions he wants to remove are liquor licenses). I am very, very skeptical that he has the best interests of London at heart or that his platform is wholly sincere. This is a man who challenges people to duels to the death while being pretty much immortal, has a history of leading those who follow him to destruction (his Hallowmas confession), and is, again, on the Presbyters payroll.

Baseless accusations!
    Anyone and everyone in the city is on someone's payroll, with no detriment to their personal honor and motives. Why try so futilely to tarnish the man's reputation with such proofless stains?
    Besides, you have said the words yourself: to let people rise and fall as ability dictates. Is this not what we should desire? That we may reach for the skies (or at the very least, the rather high-up ceiling we have here) on our own efforts, without the government to hinder us? All that the regulations have done is drown those far below, while the rich and powerful calmly sip their tea in the spires of the Bazaar and mansions in Veilgarden.

Feducci fancies himself the spirit of change, and it is change we need. Not tea. Who better than a fighter to lead this?

--
    Canon Amaranth, who forgives and forgets. Performer of Secret Rites. Collector of Puzzles. Curator of Stories and Curious Artefacts. Pretentious Name-Giver, Liar and Thief.
    Married to Michelle Palmer, who is fearsome and beautiful as the Zee in storm.
    Available for all sorts of social interactions and witty banter, if you're polite enough. Ask for clues and you'll be gifted riddles in return.

"Omnes adsint, quamvis dementi, quamvis nefasti."
    +2 link
    lady ciel
    lady ciel

6/27/2017
    My Panther would be very unhappy if I supported the Detective given her contacts with the Fingerkings.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/lady%20ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
    +2 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/27/2017
    I have a fondness for bearskins. Gets me all misty-eyed for that time a guardsman gave me a good seeing-to in his sentry-box outside the Shuttered Palace. So when I heard the tea-party were giving them away I popped into one of their shindigs, drank some of their tea (it was vile), heard them spout their nonsense for a bit and nodded like I was listening, and then made off with me free hat.

Then I promptly went and signed up with another mob. Thanks, tea-baggers! You're not getting your hat back. I do love election season. So much opportunity for mischief and fun.
    edited by Plynkes on 6/27/2017

--
    +2 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/27/2017
    I agree Feducci should be the more outlandishly rewarding choice, in meta gaming for lore terms.

Then again, the investigations, public inquiries and legal reforms that the Detective could enact might shake out some lore closer to home. She might also wind up being assassinated for it, which could lead to a snap election! Wouldn't that be fun? Imagine it, the Vake eats her whole in a fly-by one night, right after she began looking too closely at Masterful meddling in the judiciary.

Ark Gavrilov wrote:
    Go for Feducci. Either nothing really changes after he wins, or there will be definitely much more fun in the game )))
    I'm open for giving/receiving donations and other activities.

Yours,
    Ark G

--
    +2 link
    dov
    dov

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    She's an ally of the Masters

Reference?

Anne Auclair wrote:
    a regular at Mr Wine's revels

So is half of London. By the same token, since the DTC had dealing with the revolutionaries in the past, does this mean she's an ally of the Calendar Council?

--
    +2 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/27/2017
    From the text in Hastings Square: "..several constables are attempting to find a good rhyme for the Implacable Detective."

The Implacable Detective,
    Her unflappable directive,
    Is to drain the swamp of the unelected!

The Masters of Industry,
    Disasters of indignity,
    Pulling strings in judicial activity!

[I don't actually support her but it thought I'd help those troubled constables out. The second verse is probably delivered via paid protesters or over-zealous campaigners, rather than her own thin blue line-up Big Grin].

--
    +2 link
    Kylestien
    Kylestien

6/27/2017
    There once was a Temperance Campaigner
    Who hired a loyal retainer
    With their aid honey fell
    Deep into a well
    But honestly who can blame er!

--
    I will accept all actions, though I hold the right to refuse for my own reasons. However, if you explain WHY you send me a harmful action like Loitering or Dantes,And I feel the reason good, I will consider it more. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kylestien

+2 link
    Arandia
    Arandia

6/26/2017
    Sir Joseph Marlen wrote:

I seem to be able to accept donation requests, but cannot use a Fixer's help.
    edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/26/2017

I have received several offers of help from Fixers, but I cannot accept them either. When I try to respond, the list of players to choose from is always empty and it won't let me add a name manually, either.

Therefore, to all fixers who have sent me requests: I assume I am experiencing a glitch. Please bear with me until this is, er ... fixed.

--
    Arandia van Graeff, Midnighter and crazy cat lady: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Arandia
    Horace Glendower, a Seeker: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Horace%20Glendower

Looking for plant battles!
    Always happy to partake in social actions. No Affluent Photographer, no chess and no coffee invitations, please!
    +2 link
    Barse
    Barse

6/26/2017
    As a reminder and semi-announcement, the Campaign posters are up for purchase on the Gametee website now, and they are lovely!

--
    The Scorched Sailor, up for most social actions and RP. Not as scary as he looks.
    +2 link
    Luminen Walker
    Luminen Walker

6/26/2017
    MartzelDePamplona wrote:
    [I started with The Campaigner. Then in checking deeper into her campaign, I found that she had close ties to the Anarchists. Anyone who is willing to help with the Liberation of the Night gets a hard pass from me. We'll see what dirty secrets I can dig up on the other two and then I'll decide which one I'm going to give my vote to.

It isn't close ties to anarchists, it's anarchists squatting on old connections. I doubt she's the LoN candidate with her being the church candidate.

--
    1 - Cpt. Martin Walker, a Paramount and Marvellous Dreamer.
    2 - Ariana Crivelli, a silent and sagacious lady.
    +2 link
    Edward Warren
    Edward Warren

6/26/2017
    If you are an Agitator and you don't support Feducci, please speak up so my mob and I can violently harass you.

--
    +2 link
    dariuseng
    dariuseng

6/27/2017
    If any Feducci supporters need help with suspicion or scandal, I would be happy to help. Anything to make things a little more fair

--
    +2 link
    Philip Wolf
    Philip Wolf

6/27/2017
    I must say, The Campaigner doesn't seem the best choice. In my eyes she imposes what she thinks is good on people, but woe if she gets to the level of mayor. The Detective seems good enough, but if we investigate everything, when are we Going to help anything? While I admit that Feducci has flaws in his ideals, he might do his best to loosen the Masters grip on London. And that, I support. (Happy to Donate).

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Philip%20Wolf
    +2 link
    Chronos
    Chronos

6/26/2017
    It seems my alt cannot choose a candidate

EDIT: it's solved now.
    edited by Chronos on 6/26/2017

--
    Please don't send me harmful social actions
    main: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Chronos78

alt: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Chronos2
    +2 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/26/2017
    Curious. According to "Learn more about the Candidates", Feducci and the Campaigner are both supported by Society and Criminals, differing only in their third faction, while the Detective is supported by the Constables alone.

--
    +2 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/26/2017
    Boy, this surely has caused me to doubt my allegiance to the Temperance Campaigner. I kind of want to throw my lot in with the detective, now.

--
    +2 link
    heavensdark
    heavensdark

6/26/2017
    Is anyone else struggling with the game itself? I have had to refresh crashed pages multiple times just to back my candidate. I finally got a broken page telling me I backed my candidate. When I reloaded to the main page and attempted to begin my electoral duties as a fixer and it told me once more I had not backed a candidate yet. I can get cards and actions not election related to work properly but nothing related to the election itself.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/heavensdark
    +2 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

6/26/2017
    Don't forget, you can always grab the gift you want and switch side/career immediately to no detrimental effects! So don't let the choice of gifts affect who you work for or what you work as.

--
    +2 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

6/26/2017
    The text for changing your candidate includes the bit about getting a free gift, even though changing candidates doesn't give one.

The option text for purchasing the Seven-Times-Exiled Parliamentarian's Guide to Electioneering says "On the occasion of London's first Mayoral Election".

Most heinously, joining the Implacable Detective's campaign said she gave me a business card, but I didn't get one! So rude of her.
    edited by Optimatum on 6/26/2017

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +2 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/4/2017
    last year, the only skeleton to emerge from the Bishop's closet was the dubious attribution of some love poems.

Yes, but the election isn't the only time some info about him has come to light... not that such is really relevant.

Leon McCarran wrote:
    I feel that she will be quickly overwhelmed by everything and start handing out bans left and right.

The DTC doesn't seem like she gets overwhelmed that easily, though. She fended off a mob of anarchists single-handedly, after all.

--
    A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/3/2017
    Don't take this the wrong way - I've been supporting her from the beginning and I will until the bitter end, but I kind of feel that Failbetter aren't giving the DTC the flaws and depths she deserves because they want her to catch up to the other two candidates.

I've read her story this way: her flaws are also her virtues.

Sometimes you have people who are just basically good - the Soft Hearted Widow is perhaps the best example. Such people exist in real life - I've met them.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/3/2017

--
    +2 link
    dov
    dov

6/29/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    I thought I was somehow doing people a disservice to leave all those invites hanging, or worse, accept them only to lock the person into a perpetual limbo because the first-comer already reduced me to zero.

You can't lock them into anything. It doesn't matter if your menace is already gone. It's only a requirement when they send the offer in the first place.

The only &quotlimbo&quot is that if you accepted a Fixer's offer to help, other people can't accept offers from that same Fixer until they fulfill their task for you (4-5 actions).

----
    edited by dov on 6/30/2017

--
    +2 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

7/3/2017
    I wish we had graphs.

Like, solid numbers. Does Feducci have a fifty-point lead or a three point lead? What's the spread? Would a coalition even equal more than fifty percent?

We're kind of in the dark about all this, which I imagine is deliberate for the sake of suspense.

--

+2 link
    SeveredJoke
    SeveredJoke

7/3/2017
    Until now, I've resisted offering my personal opinion on the candidates. Now that the election is entering its final week, I feel the time is right to share my views - speaking entirely in my unofficial capacity. I'm supporting the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner. I strongly believe that the institution of government should serve those least able to advance their own cause - those who are vulnerable, and who are preyed upon by the greedy and heartless - and this is what the Campaigner pledges to do. Feducci may be a charming old rogue, but his talents are best kept the field of sports, rather than politics. The Detective is a most respectable lady, for whom I have the greatest respect, but her plans for reform are better kept within the justice system, which they chiefly concern. The Campaigner's platform is the best suited for the office of Mayor, and is, further, the one which speaks most to the reason and the conscience of any public-spirited Londoner. Thank you for your attention, and I hope I shall see you all at the voting booth come election day!

I agree with this reasoning. The intervention of the Regretful Soldier has strengthened my opposition to Feducci and the DTC's spirited defence of her position reassures me she is the right choice. The detective's noble battle is one best fought without the constraints a formal political position would apply.

--
    Annabelle McAllister - Nemesis

Marlon JD - Bag a Legend

Suzi Bapsthwaite - Light Fingers

Delilah Moreo - Heart's Desire

Alexei Totkinder - Nemesis
    +2 link
    Edward Warren
    Edward Warren

7/3/2017

For shame, Madame Detective! Turning on one's own supporters in the middle of an election! For shame!

Is this the behavior that we can expect from a ID administration distrust and disarray at the first sign of trouble? Does she even know the truth about those supporting her? One this is certain, this is not behavior suitable for the Mayor of London.

A week has passed, and our Rightful Mayor Feducci has already begun the process of moving into his Mayoral office. London is well on its way towards a bright, Fair future!

--
    +2 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/3/2017
    I'm supporting the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner.

I want so badly to wave this around the forums, shouting "VAUNTED AND RESPECTED LONDONERS COME OUT IN SUPPORT OF THE CAMPAIGNER," but I feel that would be remarkably crass and entirely disrespectful to the point of that post.

...I'm still a little exuberant, though.

--
    +2 link
    lady ciel
    lady ciel

7/3/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    Is it better not to engage in Debates until you've already reached 10 Influence the other ways?

Your influence doesn't automatically rise after a debate - you get winnings to spend in a storylet, and you probably won't get enough from one debate to raise influence. So I would say debate away and use the resources when you want.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/lady%20ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
    +2 link
    kwogger
    kwogger

7/7/2017
    In these waning days of the election, I am a supporter of the Campaigner and I'd be happy to talk at length with anyone up for some civilized debating.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/kwogger
    +2 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

7/9/2017
    I have had exactly one completed debate (it went bad, so it was short) and I am waiting on the final bit of my second. Alts are the only way I'm going to get anything done, seems like.

--
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    +2 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/4/2017
    Amsfield wrote:
    Prohibition infamously failed IRL, most players and I suspect more characters are drinkers and it's obvious to everyone but her that Mr Wines will squash that.

Temperance isn't prohibition, though. That's something we've had to make a slogan of our campaign. Although Wines may not care much for the difference...

--
    +2 link
    Edward Warren
    Edward Warren

6/29/2017
    Fellow citizens, when deciding who to vote for, please consider which candidate has the potential to bring about not just change, but lasting change.

The new mayor will only be here for a year. After that a new mayor will rule London, free to reverse or build upon the previous mayor's legacy as he/she sees fit. Based on the policies of the other candidates, how can anyone other than Rightful Mayor Feducci bring about lasting change for the better?

The Implacable Detective speaks of more power to police, and plots in secret for the prosecution of corrupt officials. How will she succeed in this, in a city where it's a rather poor kept secret that Parliament is in the pocket of Our Benefactors, the Masters of the Bazaar? Even if the case isn't immediately dismissed, it will certainly be drawn out beyond her term, where it will be almost assuredly quietly dropped. A sad fact of the world is there will always be crime, always be corrupt politicians. After the Campaigner is gone, the Bazaar will still be here, and so will the gangs. The smart crooks need only wait a year to return to their wicked ways.

The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner intends to open more poorhouses and abolish cheap pleasures like honey and alcohol. Sinning Jenny spent the majority of her term building poorhouses and setting up programs for the disenfranchised. To vote for a candidate promising essentially the exact same thing rephrased is to admit either that Sinning Jenny either accomplished nothing or couldn't manage to do enough to tackle the issue, even with all the powers of the mayoral office. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in her ability to tack this issue, nor the urgency of tackling this issue.

Banning cheap vices won't make the demand disappear, it will only drive it underground. Is it in the best interests of London to vote for a year where the only suppliers of alcohol are parts of the criminal underground? A criminal underground that will then be able to charge whatever it wants for what is currently popular and widely available? How will the Esteemed Masters Wines and Spices take this development? How likely are they to tolerate it.

Conscientious Londoners would better serve the community by practicing abstinence, something they can do freely now without detriment to those who enjoy these harmless pleasures. This policy will assuredly be quickly repealed in a year's time, and there shall be much rejoicing.

And again, let us not forget our experiences of the past election cycle. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner owes favors to the Revolutionaries. Anyone even vaguely familiar with organized crime can tell you that owing a disrepuatable bunch like that favors is tantamount to them owning you. By the end of the campaign the Jovial Contrarian's campaign was all but taken over by the Calendar Council, with February herself openly walking the halls as his "assistant". Is these really the people we want to hold the reigns of power for a whole year?

There is but one man who has a real plan. One that is at once both so audacious and cunning that it will instantly have a lasting affect on the balance of power in Our Fair City forever: Feducci.

A chain anyone can climb. A London where ranks and titles may change hands by the hour. It will make a mockery of all that the upper echelons hold dear, and that's the brilliance of it. True change has always begun with the limiting of the elite's power. The only thing that sets our so called "betters" and rulers apart from us are their claims of blood purity and titles they've carried and inherited for generations. Take that away, and there's nothing that makes them more inherently special than any other man. Devaluing their prestige and social standing is the first step towards abolishing it utterly.

Might it seem absurd? Might it be an unprecedented course of action? Yes! But can the same be not said for nailing a theses to the doors of the church? Dear friends, let them try to challenge us, let them repeal our new order when our year is up. But the damage to their veneer of invulnerability will be everlasting. We will draw first blood. We will make the first crack in the dam holding back an age of freedom and equality!

Dear friends! Let us use this election to build a lasting legacy! Don't vote for a candidate that will foster complacency among the poor, vote for the one that gives every man an honest chance to advance, should he have the spine to work for it! For a Fair London, I beseech you!

VOTE FEDUCCI!

--
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/29/2017
    Edward Warren wrote:

Banning cheap vices won't make the demand disappear, it will only drive it underground.

No one has proposed a ban on cheap vices. You are not accurately portraying the Campaigners position.

--
    +2 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

6/29/2017
    Poorhouses are nasty things, and the DTC's platform has nothing to do with such ghastly institutions. And the Jovial Contrarian is notoriously a windbag who'll argue both sides of a conversation for the fun of it - no wonder his campaign was co-opted by people with actual ideas. The Dauntless Campaigner is made of stronger stuff (check in her purse for proof if you like, just mind you aren't bit.)

Fair point about the Detective, though.

--

+2 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

6/29/2017
    So I'm not the only one subtly reminded of the King in Yellow with Fixer, am I? I'm a Repairer of Reputations!

--
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    +2 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/29/2017
    It would be hilarious if Feducci's Mayoral Influence Card was completely RNG based. Like, 50% chance you get a favor, 50% chance you get a Menace or some other bad thing. It would perfectly fit his program.

Maybe the odds would be even worse.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 6/29/2017

--
    +2 link
    dov
    dov

6/29/2017
    LordPhilippus wrote:
    I'm sorry if this was answered here before (I just registered to ask this question), but what is the difference between my influence over the election and my election level? Do both count towards the points that I add to my favorite candidate?

The total "points" that you contribute to your candidate are:

election career level + election influence level + Notability

Possibly, when Debates are introduced next week, there will be even more to it.

--
    +2 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/29/2017
    I was really enjoying the election, but I think I've had enough for now. It has started to feel a bit like Failbetter's trademark grindfest. As I'm not too bothered who wins, I'm considering going back to what I was doing (especially as those fixer menace reductions are very, very useful right now). It wouldn't be so bad if the flash lays and investigations actually dug up new interesting dirt each time, but unless I missed something, once you've done one of each for all three of them you've found out all there is to find out. As a player I'm bored, and as a character why would I do all this stuff over and over just to gain the same info?

Is there any reason for me to carry on, if I'm not particularly invested in any candidate? I assume the end result of your Election Career and Election Influence scores is simply votes in the election, there are no personal rewards? If so I think I might knock it on the head for a spell, as it as lost its allure.

I understand that new things will happen next week, so I'll probably rejoin the fray then, though.

--
    +2 link
    Doolittle
    Doolittle

6/29/2017
    Mobs add a menace card to your deck which will raise one of Nightmares, Wounds, or Scandal when drawn (autofire). Also, while you are mobbed, you won't be able to embark on a flash lay to gather election resources.
    +2 link
    Trilby
    Trilby

7/2/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Trilby wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    phryne wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:

Compleatly unrelated topic;

If it's completely unrelated, then it probably doesn't belong in the election thread. This isn't a thread where we discuss changes to regular game mechanics. It's a thread were we talk about election mechanics and content.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/2/2017

Sorry, I was half awake and too lazy to just make a thread.
    I'll just remove that now.

For something more on topic; is tomorrow the day when the investigating campaigns, flashlays, and the like change their text?
    Because I only actually found out the election started yesterday, and I want to get everything documented in a nice organized manner.
    edited by Agent 'Trilby' on 7/2/2017
    edited by Agent 'Trilby' on 7/2/2017

--
    |````^"""""""""""""""""""'^```|
    |__________________________|
    +2 link
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Sir Joseph Marlen

7/1/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    I have several Suspicion removing offers and I can't accept any of them.. is it likely they all aren't in London right now? It's also strange that when you click accept on one name, you can change the drop-down list of names to people you didn't just click accept to.

I have the same problem, I can't accept any fixers offering suspicion or scandal fixes as well as calling cards. Ironically, I have a backlog of requests on my main but none on my alt. Hopefully the issue will be fixed before the election's end.

EDIT: On a sidenote, with the halfway point coming up soon, I wonder if the team switches like last year will be of notable impact. In the prior election, favor leaned with Jenny, so any switches to the Bishop or the Contrarian could only do so much for the other candidates. With this election being more even, it leaves the possibility for any revelations in our investigations or changes of heart from the voters to have more weight. I've still got tea leaves on the backburner in case the coffee goes bad, but ideally it won't come to that. Still, I'd like to see what everyone does when the time comes.
    edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 7/1/2017

--

+2 link
    dov
    dov

7/1/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    I have several Suspicion removing offers and I can't accept any of them.. is it likely they all aren't in London right now? It's also strange that when you click accept on one name, you can change the drop-down list of names to people you didn't just click accept to.

In order to accept such a pending offer from a Fixer, that Fixer needs to have no "Fixing Suspicions" with anyone.

So if someone else has already accepted such an offer from that same Fixer, the Fixer must clear that person's Suspicion first before being eligible for you again.

--
    +2 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

7/1/2017
    So if stabbing people gives you special insight into their natures...

what, pray, is the insight that you have gained? You seem to have skipped lightly past the meat of your point.

--

+2 link
    dov
    dov

7/6/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    Is it possible to know what decisions your Debating rival made once it's all resolved? I only see text relating to draws and wins so far (lucky me), so I guess I can extrapolate some of their decisions from that, as it's only Rock Paper Scissors. It's hard to keep track, what with 2 or 3 Message tab updates per action.

Yes and no. It's confusing, and unfortunately asymmetrical.

You can see my detailed explanation of the debate mechanics here.

Basically, there's a difference between the one who initiated the debate, and the one who accepted it.

After all the preparations, the debate initiator has an action called "Debate!" (the image and text vary slightly based on the hosting location). Once choosing that option, the debate results are applied to both players at once. But since the initiator is the active party to this action, they see the results like any other action result:
    • How many Winnings of Your Debates earned.
    • Any menace increases
    • etc.

Then the other party (the debate recipient) gets a social action to respond to (the available option's name will tell them who won or if there was a dtraw). The debate material results are already applied, so unless they kept track of how many Winnings of Your Debates they already had before, they have no way to know how many were added. There's also no way for them to see any menaces applied (if the other party used the candidate-specific tactic).

The only exception is when both parties cheat. In this case, when the initiator chooses "Debate!" they'll see a message of no Winnings of Your Debate increase (also no menaces). Then, when the recipient gets the social action, the option will be "Hell breaks lose", which only then applies the menaces (+3 CP to all) for both players (the initiator can later see this in their message tab).
    edited by dov on 7/6/2017

--
    +2 link
    David Dunham
    David Dunham

7/10/2017
    David Dunham wrote:
    I entered a debate. But then someone cancelled it apparently. And I was in a debate with someone else. I got to make ONE decision and that is it. I am unable to see what's going on or do anything debate-related (other than I suppose dropping out, but it is unclear that that's something I need to do because my partner has gone back to their Surface life or what.

I finally got another Debate message — after the victor was announced. My debate was apparently still not complete. Am I going to be able to find out what happens?

• It’s really hard to design player interaction in turn-based games like this. Here, I think the time window made things a lot worse. Tthe debate didn’t last all that long to begin with, and with people around the world in different time zones, with a limited number of actions on top of that, I can’t really think of a way to fix this. Likely everything should have been done at once, and then the debate resolved once the last player got their three-in-a-row actions posted. The back and forth killed it.
  • +2 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

7/10/2017
    Making time(zone)-sensitive social actions in an Event free to play could be a start. If you have no actions and an invite is pending, you might tab away to do other things, then forget about it. Your friend is then asleep or working.

Perhaps! FL could start using the opt-in Notifications scripts in most browsers, to ding players when specific social actions have come in.

--
    +1 link
    Edward Warren
    Edward Warren

7/7/2017
    Ladies and Gentlemen, we are faced a difficult dilemma in this election. All of us can agree, we must pick the candidate who can do the most good for London. But we must also pick the one who can bring about the changes that will last the LONGEST.

As sad as it is to admit, Our Fair City has fallen far from the greatness of old, and I don't just mean figuratively. Crime, poverty, and the moral degradation of society are all crucial issues to tackle. However, consider this: for all the power the Mayor of London holds, he/she will only be in office for a year. Should we not approach this dilemma in a sensible way, reforming our city will prove a Sisyphean task, one that can never be completed.

The Campaigner and the Detective both face uphill struggles, facing a myriad of organizations and institutions who will no doubt vehemently resist their efforts to bring about their reforms. And that does not even begin to factor in the power of the Masters, who both enjoy the honey trade and the corruption of government officials. How much will they be able to actually do for London, bogged down by a constant struggle against the considerable forces arrayed against them? Even if by miraculous chance they manage to enact their reforms near the end of the year, they will soon be gone anyway. And then it will be a simple matter for the powers that be to reverse these changes, loosen restrictions, and reinstate certain corrupt parties.

We must come to terms with a rather sad fact: neither the Campaigner nor the Detective's goals will do much of anything to improve the lives of the downtrodden in any meaningful capacity. It is sad but true. Their intentions are pure, but less honey in the dens and fewer judges on the benches will do little to impact the lives of the downtrodden everyman. If they had more time, perhaps we'd see some benefit in the long run, but time is sadly a luxury we sorely lack.

However, all is not lost. There is still a candidate with a real plan for change, who's daring strategy can make a meaningful change during the mere year of his term.

Where his opponents stand to face a lengthy legal battle, Feducci offers the people of London the chance to elevate themselves now. A chain that can be climbed by all! Where fortunes, wealth, and a better standard of living can be won by all people willing to seek them. By the time Feducci's term ends, who knows how many of London's corrupt elites will be in the gutter, how many good and decent people who never had the chance to prosper will have newfound fortune?

Citizens, I implore you to choose the candidate who's plan will touch the most lives! The plan that gives the people the fair chance they need right now! For a better London, for a Fair London, I implore you!

VOTE FEDUCCI!

--
    +1 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

7/1/2017
    I will definitely agree that if I had to pick a candidate to beat up somebody else on my behalf, it'd be Feducci.

Pretty sure that's something everyone can agree on, whether or not they want him for mayor.

--

+1 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

6/30/2017
    In the end, though, you did them a favour by having menaces they could clear. It may sound backwards, but as a fixer, it's how it feels like - at least to me personally.

--

+1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/30/2017
    Dudebro Pyro wrote:
    In the end, though, you did them a favour by having menaces they could clear. It may sound backwards, but as a fixer, it's how it feels like - at least to me personally.

My campaigner has developed a Blackwings Absinthe habit while campaigning for temperance, on account of the need to provide scandal for multiple fixers to, well, fix.

--
    +1 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

7/3/2017
    Are you sure any of them are Agitators? You can only mob other agitators.

--

+1 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

7/1/2017
    I don't think hard-to-grind items are what was meant, but rather rare unobtainable ones where, if everyone currently owning one went north, they would be literally lost forever as an item that exists.

--

+1 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

7/2/2017
    Going NORTH is all about paying prices that can never be refunded.

--
    Be of good cheer. Our contacts have assured us that your sins are forgiven.
    +1 link
    dov
    dov

6/29/2017
    dov wrote:
    I'm guessing about the formula, but it fits what I saw:
    • Notability=5, required Reputation 1 to raise Influence from 0 to 1
    • Notability=5, required Reputation 2 to raise Influence from 1 to 2
    • Notability=6, required Reputation 4 to raise Influence from 2 to 3
    • Notability=6, required Reputation 5 to raise Influence from 3 to 4
    • Notability=6, required Reputation 6 to raise Influence from 4 to 5
    • Notability=6, required Reputation 7 to raise Influence from 5 to 6
    • Notability=6, required Reputation 8 to raise Influence from 6 to 7
    • Notability=7, required Reputation 10 to raise Influence from 7 to 8

If I draw the right card, I'll drop my Notability to 0 and see how it affects the requirements with each level of Notability I then regain, without adding new Reputation.

Well, it seems I've guessed wrong.

I've dropped Notability to 0, and increased it back to 5 checking every step the requirements for raising election Influence, and there's no change.
    Regardless of Notability, the requirement to raise influence from 7 to 8 is 10 x Reputation.

So: You need one point of Reputation (i.e. help one person with menaces) to gain one point of Influence.
    Except when raising Influence from 2 to 3, or from 7 to 8, in which case you'll need to gain two points of Reputation.

Weird.

--
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/29/2017
    Why should I bother responding to mobs? Is there a new Menace State for those building up? Do they prevent me doing anything?

--
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/29/2017
    Is anyone else purposefully keeping Suspicion and Scandal at zero overnight? Otherwise we wake up with a dozen invites from strangers and that distinctly British obligation to respond to them all, haha.

--
    +1 link
    dov
    dov

6/29/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    Is anyone else purposefully keeping Suspicion and Scandal at zero overnight? Otherwise we wake up with a dozen invites from strangers and that distinctly British obligation to respond to them all, haha.

On the contrary. I keep my Scandal at 3 at all times (which you can do without spending actions, just equipping items).

There's no problem accepting multiple help requests from Fixers (even though only one of them will actually reduce your menace).

It only takes an action from you were request, but every such action is another point in support of your candidate.

--
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/29/2017
    I thought I was somehow doing people a disservice to leave all those invites hanging, or worse, accept them only to lock the person into a perpetual limbo because the first-comer already reduced me to zero.

--
    +1 link
    Doolittle
    Doolittle

6/29/2017

What are being gambled are titles and fortunes not social status. You might reasonably argue that such commodification of titles is destructive of their ability to confer social status - and I'd agree with you, but I'd also say that that is precisely the point.
    edited by Doolittle on 6/29/2017
    edited by Doolittle on 6/29/2017
    +1 link
    Amsfield
    Amsfield

7/4/2017
    Isaac Zienfried wrote:
    Temperance isn't prohibition, though. That's something we've had to make a slogan of our campaign. Although Wines may not care much for the difference...

You are, of course, correct; however the distinction is one that isn't immediately apparent to most players of the game without significant research, so does certainly make her less appealing in the eyes of the electorate and could therefore be considered a flaw. Additionally, still a failed idea, hence the lack of temperance marches currently occurring. It's also disingenuous to pretend the two movements aren't related; i mean talk long enough about 'the evils of' something and people will start to think maybe it's evil. But the main argument I was making in that post is that campaigning against something that both players and the characters enjoy is going to do her no favours, especially with hindsight on the issue.

--
    Not a nice person.
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

7/5/2017
    Oh dear, that's quite the sordid past. Perhaps he'll surprise us all by extending the 'same rights to Clay men as free men'.. and then further surprise us by revealing what he meant: we can all be debt-slaves under the yoke of new masters-by-chance.

My Feducci-supporting character doesn't know the slaver connection, but his support for the bandaged man is only skin deep anyway. He probably won't reach max influence whilst the others care a bit more about their candidates. Especially the Temperance supporter.

edited by Shalinoth on 7/5/2017

--
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

7/6/2017
    Is it possible to know what decisions your Debating rival made once it's all resolved? I only see text relating to draws and wins so far (lucky me), so I guess I can extrapolate some of their decisions from that, as it's only Rock Paper Scissors. It's hard to keep track, what with 2 or 3 Message tab updates per action.

I've been culling my interaction history with ruthless abandon lately.

edited by Shalinoth on 7/6/2017

--
    +1 link
    David Dunham
    David Dunham

7/9/2017
    I’ve found the social aspects extremely frustrating. In fact, I would go so far as to say that they basically don’t work.

The suspicion/scandal stuff almost never seemed to sync up. I would make offers but then could not follow up on them. Assuming I even know what following up meant, it was all confusing.

I entered a debate. But then someone cancelled it apparently. And I was in a debate with someone else. I got to make ONE decision and that is it. I am unable to see what's going on or do anything debate-related (other than I suppose dropping out, but it is unclear that that's something I need to do because my partner has gone back to their Surface life or what.

People have asked me for contributions (and I have responded), but I see no way I can do this.

I have occasionally noticed I can repair someone's reputation.

(If it matters, I'm a Fixer.)

The Flash Lays and Cases are OK, and I have sometimes had the ability to pick people without somehow coordinating first (which is a plus, since I don't know anyone who's playing Fallen London).

In short, I have seen almost nothing at http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24313-elementary-election-explainer.aspx?Page=1#post196648 . I'm certainly happy that some people have had things work, but I think the design prevents it from working for many others.
    +1 link
    David Dunham
    David Dunham

7/9/2017
    Also, my Messages seemed to keep getting cluttered with “ You completed a Social Event…” Usually Failbetter is pretty transparent about what actions will do, but I don't feel the election fit that at all.

(And I still think anything that requires people to sync up is broken. I might ask someone for help with Scandal, but then have actions that took care of it myself. And likely vice versa. I have all these kind people offering to help me but no longer any need for it.)

• edited by David Dunham on 7/9/2017

• edited by David Dunham on 7/10/2017
  • +1 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

7/10/2017
    The Electoral Opportunity storylet will be available for a little bit after the election is over, right? I want to hold on to my stuff as long as possible to maximize profit, but I don't want to lose out either.

(maybe they should've done either individual turnins or made the storylet have 0 action cost to avoid this uncertainty)

--
    +1 link
    Amsfield
    Amsfield

7/10/2017
    I'd convert donations to favors whilst I can. Debate proceeds will maybe stick around, but I wouldn't bet on it.

--
    Not a nice person.
    +1 link
    Sinnouk
    Sinnouk

7/8/2017
    Trilby wrote:
    How are your winnings calculated?
    Check out dov's detailed explanation here, they even made a calculator on the wiki.
    edited by Sinnouk on 7/8/2017

--
    Theron Bidwell Urie: the Distrait Dabbler, hat-less unfortunate no more!

gronostaj wrote:
    If the Implacable Detective Wins…

I go to jail! And you go to jail! And you go to jail, yes, you too! Everyone goes to jail!
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

7/9/2017
    I gave it a valiant try, these debates. Had some exceptional RP and made a few friends.
    But at this point, whether it's bugs or the long uncertainty of replies from players, I can't see it finishing with realistic gameplay.

So: I'm just debating my alts a few times and calling it a day :P

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/3/2017
    Feducci is literally measuring the drapes, but that's probably his arrogant personality being put on full display.

My read is that support for the Detective has plateaued, while the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner's campaign has much more room to grow thanks to the support of many different types of voters:

1. Jenny first voters.
    2. Clay & Rubbery rights voters.
    3. Late deciding voters (who have been breaking our way)

Some of these voters will no doubt come out of Feducci's support. We Campaigner supporters can beat Feducci by winning more late deciding voters and persuading Feducci's less enthusiastic voters to switch to us. It's very doable, I've done it a number of times already and it's going to a bit less difficult now.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/3/2017

--
    +1 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

7/3/2017
    I'm both liking and not liking this development.
    On the one hand, all the suspicions we've been debunking have been permanently and solidly debunked,
    and we have both the support of Rubberies and Clay men, apparently.

On the other hand, I'm afraid that the only thing that's keeping the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner from being a straight up Mary Sue are the lack of popular support and the existence of the Honey-Well, neither of which are necessarily big problems.

Don't take this the wrong way - I've been supporting her from the beginning and I will until the bitter end, but I kind of feel that Failbetter aren't giving the DTC the flaws and depths she deserves because they want her to catch up to the other two candidates.

It sure is hecking nice to rub it in everyone's face, though. We have the bloody rubberies, nothing can stop us now.

--
    +1 link
    Alex WasRight
    Alex WasRight

6/26/2017
    ah. i hate campaigning. can't i just cast a vote and murder some interns?
    edited by rebelanarch-82 on 6/26/2017

--
    https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:nnssGLFfPowJ:https://twitter.com/alexiskennedy/status/1166762265892311042%3Flang%3Den+&cd=2
    +1 link
    hellaGumshoe
    hellaGumshoe

6/26/2017
    Any Dauntless dudes that need a fixing, ask Gummy! http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/hellaGummy
    edited by hellaGumshoe on 7/3/2017

--
    main account.

+1 link
    Sir Joseph Marlen
    Sir Joseph Marlen

6/26/2017
    SleepingD wrote:
    I don't care for Dauntless' goals and find her interference bothersome and tedious, and while I do greatly respect IDs intellect... let's just say the constables and I are not very often on the same side. While Feducci's agenda runs deeper I'm relatively confident I can handle whatever fresh hell he might unleash and chaos brings opportunity.

On a somewhat unrelated I love the art on the candidates.

[spoiler]If you look into the investigation for the Detective, you'll find out she's not as big on the Constables's law as we might think. Unless your problem is her affiliation with them at all. In which case, the bandaged prince probably is your best pick.[/spoiler]
    edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/26/2017

--

+1 link
    Bricriu Lashonhara
    Bricriu Lashonhara

6/26/2017
    Should any supporter of Feducci find themselves in need, I welcome the opportunity to fix any troubles you should have. Send your invitations round and I'll tend to them as swiftly as I can. The more dedicated supporters will see election materials sent by to further the cause.

Address all correspondence to Bricriu. It will find me.
    edited by Bricriu on 6/26/2017

--
    Do come in. There's a chill on the air.
    +1 link
    Vortigaunt
    Vortigaunt

6/26/2017
    Im mad cause I finally just got rid of my scandal, suspicion, and a mob and was a bout to start a Flash Lay, but right as I clicked it, someone sicced another blasted mob on me.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Vortigaunt
    +1 link
    Sam
    Sam

6/26/2017
    heavensdark wrote:
    Is anyone else struggling with the game itself? I have had to refresh crashed pages multiple times just to back my candidate. I finally got a broken page telling me I backed my candidate. When I reloaded to the main page and attempted to begin my electoral duties as a fixer and it told me once more I had not backed a candidate yet. I can get cards and actions not election related to work properly but nothing related to the election itself.

Hi Heavensdark,

We've not seen any spikes in errors on our end - Could you please send in a ticket to support@failbettergames.co.uk? Title it 'FAO: Sam' and I'll get you fixed.

Best,

Sam

edited by Sam on 6/26/2017
    +1 link
    Sallow
    Sallow

6/26/2017
    Like many others, I'm still wasting my time at the ball, double-checking if I've seen everything it has to offer. I keep getting to an Airs state where there's just Mingle and Leave to choose. I have Lydia as companion and have seen her option, but I haven't taken part in last year's elections. I'm guessing this is for Airs 100? Could someone please tell me what it's about. And.. if it's not too soon.. kinda spoil the rest of the ball, and whether or not there are other hidden encounters, apart from the 1-33 with the Contrarian/Bishop and 34-66 one with Jenny. Thankeeeeeeee!
    +1 link
    Omega8520
    Omega8520

6/26/2017
    Having had Airs 100 in the mingling, it doesn't unlock anything new, as far as I could see.

--
    A Correspondent of measure and restraint, not-withstanding a tendancy to rush into things.

+1 link
    narcomanic
    narcomanic

6/26/2017
    Am I supposed to still have my qualities from last year's election? Just logged in for the day and I've got a storylet unlocked with Agitator 6 in addition to the Invitation to a Ball one. Is this a bug or is the career supposed to only reset once you choose a new candidate?

--
    Cecilia Vass, a Shattering Force available for patronage. Warning: You will get stabbed. Take it as a compliment.

Currently rallying mobs for Feducci.
    +1 link
    Blaine Davidson
    Blaine Davidson

6/26/2017
    When viewing the card "Learn more about the Candidates!" the following text appears:

"Who has put their names into
    the ring? Who has been bold enough to declare themselves for London's first Mayorship?"

I think you mean Second Mayorship. Unless we've somehow gone back in time.

--
    Blaine Davidson, a reserved and sensible woman with a fondness of collecting rarities.
    +1 link
    Louvelune
    Louvelune

6/26/2017
    Louvelune wrote:
    Is it possible to change your career BEFORE selecting a candidate? If not, can it be done between choosing the candidate and picking their gift, at least? ^^°

Alright, I went ahead - not much of a choice anyway, and: it turns out you CAN swap after picking your candidate, but before picking your free item. Just "perhaps not" out of the gift selection page, then come back into the election's storylet. smile
    +1 link
    Parabuteo
    Parabuteo

6/26/2017
    What price is something so insubstantial as light in exchange for freedom from laws and chains? I have gone North. I burn there. But were I able, I would vote for Feducci for his acknowledgement that chains aren't meant to be binding or inviolable. Liberate the Night. The poor. The prisoners. Shatter all chains, literal, metaphorical, or metaphysical.

This is weak rhetoric, but honestly, he's a weak candidate; mostly notable as a contrast to the forces of law and order on the opposing side. Call me when another member of the Calendar Council runs-- that will get you some premium shrieking Revolutionary madness.
    edited by Parabuteo on 6/26/2017

--
    A Candescent Anarchist working hard for a Liberation.
    +1 link
    Omega8520
    Omega8520

6/26/2017
    The fact that the Dauntless Campaigner is having her workers waylay and steal from honey-dealers quite funny. "How will we enforce temperance? By being illegal as all hell, of course!`

--

+1 link
     Saklad
    Saklad

6/26/2017
    I know it is early, but I just want to thank Failbetter Games for creating the greatest event ever. The improvements seem spectacular, the writing is hilarious, and I’m having a ton of fun already.

--
    Saklad5, a man of many talents
    +1 link
    Spitfire Youngster
    Spitfire Youngster

6/26/2017
    We get one uptight society lady, one Constabulary boot licker, and an undead killer.

I say, let's get killing.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Spitfire%20Youngster
    Professional troublemaker, not a single regret since [REDACTED]
    +1 link
    Skinnyman
    Skinnyman

6/26/2017
    Fadewalker wrote:
    [spoiler]

Last year:
    [/spoiler]
    edited by Fadewalker on 6/26/2017

Wasn't 100% sure of backing Feducci, but...! Big Grin

--
    ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
    Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
    I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
    No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
    +1 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

6/26/2017
    suinicide wrote:
    Is anyone else having some difficulty choosing a career? It loops me back to the storylet page.

Yep.

Probably isn't live yet.

--

+1 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/26/2017
    I do like me some unduly tight livery.

--
    +1 link
    BlabberingMat
    BlabberingMat

6/26/2017
    I am still mingling XD. Partly because I am waiting for good people here on forums to gather list of items that can be chosen. I don't wanna miss out on something like boots last year

--
    Alt-Lana Loter
    Main-Always Drunk Slav

+1 link
    IHNIWTR
    IHNIWTR

6/27/2017

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Daniel%20Vaise
    +1 link
    Teaspoon
    Teaspoon

6/27/2017
    "You demand to know why a woman notorious for subcontracting her cases is positioning herself as the saviour of London justice."

This game is so great, people. So great.

--

+1 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

6/27/2017
    I was able to accept a help but I didn't seem to get any menace reduction from it.

I've another help in my message log that I cannot get rid of because they apparently sent it in the ~4 minutes I was a Detective supporter before switching to Feducci. Since we don't support the same candidates anymore, none of the options work, even the refuse one.

--
    +1 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

6/27/2017
    Ah, His Grace was just yankin' your stole. Bit of the ol' boisterous clerical humour.

--
    +1 link
    Great Dreamer
    Great Dreamer

6/26/2017
    Sam Stephens wrote:

Naturally, I'd invite you to join the cause of the Temperance Campaign, being as I have sided with our dignified lady.
    If you're not familiar with the Temperance movement in the 19th century, it had strong ties to Women's Suffrage (equality) and Animal Rights, so it's not only helping the poor, it's helping everyone who's finding himself at a disadvantage for being born different in our beautiful little London.

If you find yourself on our side of the fray, be sure to hit up our donations page, we have some fixers who'd be more than pleased to offer you some scandal and suspicon cures, and plenty are willing to donate if you happen to be a campaigner.

where is the donation page? I've just started as a campaigner.
    +1 link
    Reinol von Lorica
    Reinol von Lorica

6/26/2017
    New guy here, but is it worth investing in this election campaign? If I do take part, what benefits do I get y doing so? Pardon me if this is the wrong thread.

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Reinol%20von%20Lorica
    +1 link
    aegisaglow
    aegisaglow

6/26/2017
    Question: does the 6 echo option for campaign donations benefit campaigners more than giving silks? I'd rather give silks, but if money's better I'll do that.

Sam Stephens wrote:

The Detective is my sponsor at the Dilmun Club, and I respect her prowess. But the last thing this city needs is more police force and broader power.

The Campaigner is kind to animals and addicts, and that's what's important to me. Feducci claims to want to help the poor too, but his rhetoric sounds like he'll just remove the few protections workers have in London.

--
    Mx. Aglow. Silverer, hedonist, devil-teaser. Paramount Presence. Earned their Heart's Desire and realized too later what it was they truly wished for.

Ms. Lilian Leith. A lady of proper standing, which seems like an increasingly ludicrous thing to give a rat's ___ about. Known to some for her Light Fingers, and to others for her abiding affection for stormy weather.
    +1 link
    MartzelDePamplona
    MartzelDePamplona

6/26/2017
    aegisaglow wrote:
    Question: does the 6 echo option for campaign donations benefit campaigners more than giving silks? I'd rather give silks, but if money's better I'll do that.

Sam Stephens wrote:

The Detective is my sponsor at the Dilmun Club, and I respect her prowess. But the last thing this city needs is more police force and broader power.

The Campaigner is kind to animals and addicts, and that's what's important to me. Feducci claims to want to help the poor too, but his rhetoric sounds like he'll just remove the few protections workers have in London.

I started with The Campaigner. Then in checking deeper into her campaign, I found that she had close ties to the Anarchists. Anyone who is willing to help with the Liberation of the Night gets a hard pass from me. We'll see what dirty secrets I can dig up on the other two and then I'll decide which one I'm going to give my vote to.

--
    Martzel De Pamplona an inescapable, sagacious and magnificent gentleman. All social actions welcome.
    +1 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/26/2017
    Sam Stephens wrote:

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/26/2017
    Sam Stephens wrote:

I'm sure the Detective will forgive you if you help with that Mountain of Light business ^_^ The Detective's program is so harsh and narrowly tailored - where there's a velvet glove it's only for members of her own profession who have fallen on hard times (and probably with one particular detective in mind before all else). The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner will help the Honey Addled Detective as surely as she helps everyone else. You can't beat a universal program.

--
    +1 link
    Hark DeGaul
    Hark DeGaul

6/26/2017
    As I did last year I have a character of every profession, but poor Hebediah is having a terrible time finding agitators to fight. I can't help but feel like they're at something of a disadvantage because they can only interact with fellow agitators of different allegiances.

--
    The Dawn-Eyed Optician: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hark%20DeGaul

That Vicar Who Ruined the Royal Wedding for Everyone (including himself): http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hebediah%20Fix

The Dreaded Relative: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Your%20Aunt
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/26/2017
    Three things I really love.

1. The fact you can get people to vote for Temperance by getting them drunk on Church wine :P
    2. The Campaigner is referred to as 'the Steel Lady."
    3. The Campaigner's purse, which is something else.

--
    +1 link
    Menoetius
    Menoetius

6/26/2017
    Hm, I'm unsure who to support, myself...
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/27/2017
    Thanks, Plynkes. I think for the sake of reaching Renown Criminals 50, my main character will grab that shadowy hat then. So I have to pretend to support the Detective, take her hat, then turncoat over to Feducci.. which totally fits his personality.

My other 2 characters will support the other 2 candidates. Yes, I'm cancelling out my alt-vantage, but I get to see more lore and it sort of fits their stories anyway. :P
    edited by Shalinoth on 6/27/2017

--
    +1 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/27/2017
    I think you just get the one free item. Once I had picked a free candidate hat, everything else was only available for Fate.

--
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/27/2017
    A limerick! I heartily approve, sir.

Supporters of other campaigns should most definitely make their own now. I do declare.. a rhyme-off!

--
    +1 link
    Shalinoth
    Shalinoth

6/27/2017
    @Plynkes, I whole-heartedly agree with your hat-plundering shenanigans, without even knowing who you signed up with.

It would be fun if these turn-coat choices are being silently recorded, to bite us in the bum later, haha.

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/27/2017
    Reinol von Lorica wrote:
    Right then. Hopefully the chaps at the College will be happy. I'll campaign for the DTC. Also, will the Bohemians who have no labels still benefit?

Probably depends on the works they produce, so it would depend on the individual artist. That's the trouble with the 'no labels' Bohemians - they're impossible to generalize.

--
    +1 link
    Silvan Derre
    Silvan Derre

6/27/2017
    Is it too early to give feedback? Because mechanically the mob feels too overpowered. Either you spend 11 actions and second chances ridding yourself of the mob or have your menaces skyrocket getting rid of them, plus dealing with the menace in your deck. And having a mob around locks you out of the flash lay and investigations to boot! It feels like all my actions just go towards menace management instead of any actual electioneering. And it doesn't make sense to me story-wise why performing good deeds would raise scandal. Take it easy with the menace raising mechanics next time, FBG
    +1 link
    Reinol von Lorica
    Reinol von Lorica

6/27/2017
    Okay...since I see no counter argument against the Detective, I guess I'll start campaigning for her...unless I get persuaded otherwise

--
    +1 link
    Kylestien
    Kylestien

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Kylestien wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Kylestien wrote:

They didn't take over, they were always part of the Contrarian's campaign...because the Contrarian is a member of the Calendar Council :P

The Contrariant was thoughly against them taking over, which is rare for a man who goes back and forwards on everything.

Actually we don't know his opinion on the matter as he has never stated what he thought. He could have invited February to take the job for all we know.

...I'm pretty sure he hated it. There was text and everything. Anyone got the exact quote?

--

+1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/27/2017
    Reinol von Lorica wrote:
    Okay...since I see no counter argument against the Detective, I guess I'll start campaigning for her...unless I get persuaded otherwise

The Detective doesn't really like people. Her campaign treats London's neighborhoods like an occupying army. The police are already insanely powerful and can beat up or even secretly kill suspects up with impunity, so giving them more power seems like a bad idea. She's an ally of the Masters, a regular at Mr Wine's revels, and she is allied with the Serpent Kings of Parabola. All her plans are entirely focused on the police force and she doesn't have any program for the rest of London.

--
    +1 link
    Mr Nautilius
    Mr Nautilius

6/27/2017
    And what are your thoughts on livery companies that emerged in this year's election, dear Londoners? Each candidate is supported by a one: "The Humble Order of Mudlarkers and Steeplejacks" works for Dauntless, "The Honourable Company of Stereoscopists" for Detective and "The Worshipful Company of Victualers" for Feducci.

I don't remember encountering any of these organisations earlier.

As far as I've learned, the Stereoscopists seem to be connected with Glass. It's intersting that magicians are supporting Detective... Well, maybe I'm a bit biased against snakes, but this entanglement makes her a rather risky choice imho
    +1 link
    Autonomous
    Autonomous

6/27/2017
    IHNIWTR wrote:
    oh I know

just like you can win it big by betting on horse races

The thing is: you can not win under any other mayor. They prohibit the poor to "bet on the horse race" or they prohibit to give the poor their "prise". Only Feducci gives the freedom of growth and allows all to win. Also, the "horse race" example is not correct, cause, it's only about luck. It is more like career growth or capital/money-bag growth, your own labour and skill, not luck or fate. Under other mayors, the poor can not "start their own business" and are destined to rot in the slums, toiling for pennies. Under Feducci- they can get a better life, by their hard work, resourcefulness and will. It's like slavery in Egypt, and capitalism in USA, compared.
    edited by Autonomous on 6/27/2017

--
    I go Sharp
    +1 link
    dariuseng
    dariuseng

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:

Feducci is a spy for the Presbyterate who is also allied with Hell. He is receiving cash bribes from the Presbyterate and his campaign manager is a Devil. His platform calls for a culling of legal and class restrictions in order to let people rise and fall as ability and chance dictate (among the restrictions he wants to remove are liquor licenses).

I am very, very skeptical that Feducci has the best interests of London at heart or that his platform is wholly sincere. This is a man who challenges people to duels to the death while being pretty much immortal, has a history of leading those who follow him to destruction (his Hallowmas confession), and is, again, on the Presbyters payroll.

Oh please, like the Campaigners revolutionary allies are any better. They wish for the collapse of all rules and law. And as for the duels to the death, last I checked his lances weren't tipped with Cantigaster venom and he doesn't chop up the body, so his opponents are free to return if they desire

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/27/2017
    The Campaigner is not a Revolutionary. Like a lot of Londoners she has some friends who are Revolutionaries, that's all.

Feducci goes to his duels literally covered in black ribbons, so he has permanently killed a large number of people in duels to the death. And yet he cannot actually die. He can't even be maimed. So he takes no risks in those fights - they're the definition of one sided. Just as he takes no risks in his Presbyterate investments. With Feducci, risk is for other people. When he gambles his dice are always loaded.

--
    +1 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/27/2017
    dariuseng wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:

They're not her "Revolutionary Allies", they're trying to get her to repay them for a debt.
    The DTC used to be close friends with the previous March of the Calendar Council, a March that for all intents and purposes was mellow and nice and got killed for not being as much of a die-hard revolutionary as the rest.

The Anarchists are indeed trying to pressure our Temperance Campaigner, but don't think they're *allied* with her.

--
    +1 link
    Reinol von Lorica
    Reinol von Lorica

6/27/2017
    Hmmm, all of them appeal to me. I don't know any of them other than a short encounter with the Detective. Need some help

--
    +1 link
    Reinol von Lorica
    Reinol von Lorica

6/27/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Reinol von Lorica wrote:
    Hmmm, all of them appeal to me. I don't know any of them other than a short encounter with the Detective. Need some help

You've probably met the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner before. She sometime brings you potato soup when you're wounded. She has the most progressive platform of the three candidates, declaring: "I have dedicated my life to fighting exploitation."

And promising:
    • Increased tea drinking.
    • A reduction in the supply of prisoners honey and intoxicating liquors through more stringent licensing and higher prices in order to combat widespread addiction and poverty.
    • Improved conditions and greater rights for London's workers, debtors, and tenets.
    • "Houses of respite and healing" to aid those stricken by poverty or addiction and to help them recover.
    • Greater protection for London's assorted animals - presumably everyone from L.B.'s to Blemmigans.
    • A crackdowns on spirifiers.

In a lot of ways one might say that the Campaigner is fighting to expand Jenny's legacy of modest reform into something far more expansive.

I'm interested. I wish to hear more about Feducci and the Detective first. If not, I'm willing to campaign for a reduction in Scandal.

--
    +1 link
    Franzibald Fauntleroy
    Franzibald Fauntleroy

6/27/2017
    Attention: Character repairman seeking to mend the damaged reputations and legal standing of right-minded gentlefolk. May be found under the name "Franzibald Fauntleroy". Inquire at the Bazaar, Tower 8, Room 31.

Teatime for London.

--
    Franzibald Fauntleroy. A foppish and surely unremarkable gentlemen.
    +1 link
    Plynkes
    Plynkes

6/28/2017
    I think you are spot on there, Infinity Sim.

I do not care about the issues. The poor of Fallen London are nothing to me <whisper>because they're not real</whisper>. They can all go hang for all I care (in fact from an RP point of view, I think my character would actually want things to get worse for the downtrodden Londoners, as then the likelihood of them swelling the ranks of the revolutionaries might well increase). I care about being entertained, and about what's interesting. From where I'm sitting there isn't all that much that's interesting about the ID and the DTC when you compare them to old bandage-features.

I don't want to know about how worthy, noble or progressive candidates are, I want to learn interesting, quirky and funny things about them. I want to be entertained.

So when folks take to the forum arguing their case like we were talking about real world issues, for me it somewhat sucks the fun out of things. It becomes dreary and tiresome, much like our own politics and so much not like what Fallen London is normally all about to me. So occasionally I start getting snarky (apologies for that). Clearly some folks do get a lot of enjoyment out of treating it like it is real. I find that hard to imagine, but perhaps I need to try and be a little more understanding.

And while the DTC is the dullest thing to hit London by a country mile, there is one thing about her that is tantalizing, and that's her murky past with the Revolutionaries. I really hope we get to find out more about that. And I hold out hope that should she win, because of that connection, there might be an option on her mayoral card that post-conversion gives out Revolutionary favours (some kind of secret dealings perhaps). That would be one super nice silver lining to the cloud of having her in charge for a year. smile

Dammit, the preview window seems to be up the spout now. This place is falling apart.

--
    +1 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/28/2017
    Plynkes wrote:
    I think you are spot on there, Infinity Sim.

I do not care about the issues. The poor of Fallen London are nothing to me <whisper>because they're not real</whisper>. They can all go hang for all I care (in fact from an RP point of view, I think my character would actually want things to get worse for the downtrodden Londoners, as then the likelihood of them swelling the ranks of the revolutionaries might well increase). I care about being entertained, and about what's interesting. From where I'm sitting there isn't all that much that's interesting about the ID and the DTC when you compare them to old bandage-features.

So when folks take to the forum arguing their case like we were talking about real world issues, for me it somewhat sucks the fun out of things. It becomes dreary and tiresome, much like our own politics and so much not like what Fallen London is normally all about to me. So occasionally I start getting snarky (apologies for that). Clearly some folks do get a lot of enjoyment out of treating it like it is real. I find that hard to imagine, but perhaps I need to try and be a little more understanding.

And while the DTC is the dullest thing to hit London by a country mile, there is one thing about her that is tantalizing, and that's her murky past with the Revolutionaries. I really hope we get to find out more about that. And I hold out hope that should she win, because of that connection, there might be an option on her mayoral card that post-conversion gives out Revolutionary favours (some kind of secret dealings perhaps). That would be one super nice silver lining to the cloud of having her in charge for a year. smile

Dammit, the preview window seems to be up the spout now. This place is falling apart.

Rest assured that all sides will indubitably become more interesting by the halfway mark.
    Once the election heats up, we'll get new investigation results that will show that all of the election campaigns are slowly collapsing in on themselves, that all three candidates are in far over their heads, and that atleast a half a dozen cats will have exploded.

...Atleast, that's how it went down last year, I suspect that's the path we'll be running this year.

I am in any case really interested in which direction the DTC's campaign will be going, I suspect she'll run out of funds and will consequently have to start selling back honey or something like that, but maybe the revolutionaries really do take over her platform (even though that'd be kind of a half-assed copy of the contrarian's run from last year).

--
    +1 link
    Corvo
    Corvo

6/28/2017

I get it, though.

It's funny that you mention this. I primarily choose Feducci as my candidate since he seemed like the most interesting of the whole lot and because I can also kinda detach myself from the setting and, I guess, make a meta choice. But, ironically enough, I think supporting Feducci as a candidate is something that my character would also do from a roleplaying perspective since he'd back Feducci because, like me, he'd find Feducci as the most interesting candidate and because he is also pretty detached from the issues that plague London (even if he isn't actively opposed to fixing them, but he won't go out of his way to do that)

Also, as a little aside, while the bit of drama/toxicity that comes from the Election event can get a bit tiring/disheartening, I also like it on some level since it shows how invested people can get in the whole setting and all that (though, please, let's keep the toxicity to a minimum, lest the forums become as poisonous as the Cantigaster lol).

EDIT: Though, I can definitively see how the whole drama/toxicity can take away from the enjoyment. I guess I jsut prefer to see the silver lining of the situation.
    edited by Corvo on 6/28/2017

--
    +1 link
    Akernis
    Akernis

6/28/2017
    LillianAranach wrote:

Indeed, even amongst devils he helps the little guy stand up against tyranny.

--
    +1 link
    Pnakotic
    Pnakotic

6/28/2017
    Kylestien wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Kylestien wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Kylestien wrote:

Actually we don't know his opinion on the matter as he has never stated what he thought. He could have invited February to take the job for all we know.

...I'm pretty sure he hated it. There was text and everything. Anyone got the exact quote?

Yes, I do. Kept links to all the candidates here.

And I'd agree with your assessment of the situation based on reading Failbetter's actual storylets... but there was a great deal of head canon being interjected as hard facts during last years election. Perhaps a foreshadowing of the "fake news" and "alternative facts" that were to come in real-world events. upset

--
    J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

+1 link
    Parabuteo
    Parabuteo

6/28/2017
    Yes, the Contrarian seemed unhappy with February's interference, along with implications that he was not entirely on board with the whole business of the Great Work. Baffling that ANYONE should oppose the Liberation of Night, which is:
    * Cool
    * Good
    * Moral
    * Correct

But some souls have always lacked the eyes to see in the dark.

--
    A Candescent Anarchist working hard for a Liberation.
    +1 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

6/27/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    I have both "Advance your career" and "Advance your election career" cards in my deck right now. Is that normal? Neither have options yet, as I haven't re-chosen to be a Campaigner yet.

One is a one-time card that explains some mechanics (it's the undiscardable one). It has an option identical to the regular card that allows you to turn in campaign items to advance your career, but only once (then the card is gone from your deck).

--
    +1 link
    hellaGumshoe
    hellaGumshoe

6/27/2017
    I'd like to go ahead and say I'm really enjoying the changes in the election this year. Agitating is pretty fun, and it makes me wish I was in the game for a season of Knife-and-Candle. Fixing is pretty nice too, and (from the outside) Campaigning seems interesting. Definitely better than last year, when they were all just repeating Flash Lays and/or Writing Books.

--
    main account.

+1 link
    LillianAranach
    LillianAranach

6/28/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
  • If they're so advanced, why did London win the last war?

• I believe it was due to some betrayal in which one of their number charted an unexpected course for London's forces. I'm not entirely sure, though, as it was in a Hallowmas confession that I can't seem to find now. My apologies by the way for being so brief and inconcise. I've been quite busy and hadn't had much time to research or chat.

--
    They say, "There is a delightfully delectable corruption about Aranach, and she seeks to spread it, all the while revelling in truth and sin in equal parts."

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lillian%20Aranach
    +1 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

6/28/2017
    Oh, sorry, I got confused; there's two forms of advancement this time. You advance your generic career by doing as you said, and you advance your fixer qualities by fixing people's menaces. Both are separate and both contribute to your vote in the election.

--
    +1 link
    Akernis
    Akernis

6/28/2017

And I find that immensely commendable. I am strong supporter of roleplay, and immersing myself in the game as I play is easily the greatest joy in the game for me.
    However much as I might like roleplay, it is unfeasible to talk about this from my character's perspective. She is a social Darwinist and a manipulative proponent of meritocracy. She would not 'waste time' trying to convince others why she supports Feducci. She would be out doing actual Fixer work behind the scenes. The very act of sharing her opinions with others for the simply sake of discussion, comparison, and perhaps convincing one or two other members to change their vote, would in itself be out of character.
    And trying to talk about it from my character's point of view could quickly become toxic, so I would rather avoid that.

However, I can do the next best thing, namely talk about why I, as a player, supports Feducci. And yes, that essentially boils down to "I am fascinated by the mysteries of Fallen London and the Neath, so whichever candidate is the most intriguing and the one whose story and friendship will likely be the most interesting to my character is the one I am going to support."

--
    +1 link
    A Dimness
    A Dimness

6/28/2017
    Plynkes, Corvo and Akernis wrote:

*Completely fair and justified view on the 1895 Mayoral Election*

Absolutely understandable.
    Have a delicious evening,
    and may the best candidate win.

--
    +1 link
    dov
    dov

6/28/2017
    Zack Oak wrote:
    Fixers advancing their influence level is like a rube goldberg machine, man. I'm still figuring it out. If I can understand it correctly, it goes like this:
    Step 1: Fixer finds a fellow supporter who has suspicion or menace. Sends them a request to reduce their menace.
    Step 2: Recipient agrees or declines. Fixer gains a quality that allows them to proceed to step 3
    Step 3: Fixer begins a storylet to get 7 "correcting a suspicious record" or "Correcting a scandalous record."
    Step 4: Fixer turns their "correcting" quality into "a reputation for fixing things"
    Step 5: If a Fixer's "a reputation for fixing things" quality is twice their influence, they may increase their influence. Otherwise, repeat steps 2-4 until it is.
    It's ludicrously complicated and a complete action sink. I gave up and went to campaigner, where I only need three steps of action and helpful friends for the process.

Almost. Some more points:
    • The Fixer can send multiple help offers. The first recipient who accepts give the Fixer a quality (Fixing Scandals/Suspicions), which prevents others from accepting their own pending requests from that Fixer.
    • To increase Influence you don't need Reputation to be twice Influence. I'm not 100% sure yet on the formula, but I think it grows with your Notability. It increased by 1 for me every step, and when I increased Notability it increased to.
    • I *think* that the formula is that you need to have Repuation be Influence + 1 + (Notability over 5)..
    • I'll confirm this when I next draw the Amanuensis card and remove all my Notability.

--
    +1 link
    Corvo
    Corvo

6/28/2017
    Shalinoth wrote:
    Anyone enjoying being a Fixer? And if so, please share why?
    I was planning to have my 3 characters being all 3 Careers and a separate Candidate each. Not sure now.

It's extra legwork but I definitively enjoy being a Fixer, though that might have more to do with the fact that I think that, RP-wise, it's the campaign class that best fit's my character.

Also, is it really that hard to get more levels up for the Fixer profession? I mean I am pretty sure I am at level 10, or 11 I am not entirely sure, of the Fixer profession atm (midn you, I mean the Fixer profession itself, haven't tackled the whole influence thing yet which might be another beast entirely)

--
    +1 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

6/28/2017
    Nah, the profession's easy enough. Well, last year people were complaining that you had to do both investigations and flash lays, whereas the other two professions both had a single source for both of their career items; but in the end fixers can spend all their public attention on a metric ton of making waves, which is nice.

This year, the influence is what everyone's complaining about. And this time around there doesn't seem to be a silver lining to actually going through with it, other than possibly the satisfaction of doing what your character will do despite the difficulties.

--

+1 link
    Kaijyuu
    Kaijyuu

6/28/2017
    I dunno where anyone got the idea that fixer is less efficient than normal social menace reductions. Unless you're doing it at < 7 scandal/suspicion?

If you're not being silly and are getting the reductions at 8 (or 1 less than 8) menace, it's more efficient for both sender and receiver. 1 action for receiver obviously, and 7 actions using the least efficient methods for the fixer. Regular methods require 9 actions on both sides to reduce someone from 8 to 0, plus the healer needs to deal with extra menace they get from helping.

--
    +1 link
    PSGarak
    PSGarak

6/28/2017
    Last year, people were complaining that being a Fixer was mechanically inferior... then at the start of the second week, they released the resource trade-ins, and Fixers had an advantage that you could think of them as assymetrically balanced.

I'm seeing the same story start to happen again. Right now, they're more difficult to level up Influence and Menaces aren't as big a deal as they should be. I'm guessing, come Debates next week, their work will be more sought-after.

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/28/2017
    PSGarak wrote:
    Last year, people were complaining that being a Fixer was mechanically inferior... then at the start of the second week, they released the resource trade-ins, and Fixers had an advantage that you could think of them as assymetrically balanced.

I'm seeing the same story start to happen again. Right now, they're more difficult to level up Influence and Menaces aren't as big a deal as they should be. I'm guessing, come Debates next week, their work will be more sought-after.

Oh yeah, I hadn't thought about this... Though the resource trade-in was in response to player complaints about imbalances.

--
    +1 link