Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1895: The Implacable Detective Messages in this topic - RSS

Isaac Zienfried
Isaac Zienfried

6/29/2017
I'd say the one who advocates for a complete removal of the rule of law is further from the Detective's goals than we are. You're barking up the wrong tree, here.

Excellent leaps of logic, though. You have a knack for the ludicrous.

--
Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
+2 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

6/29/2017
Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
As do you, my scrumptious little shepherd. Feducci has no interested in disassembling rule of law. He only wants to optimize it, to purge it of corruptions and inefficiencies. To encourage hunger and ambition.
As anyone of any intelligence knows, the law is a turgid, overburdened thing. Both Feducci and the Detective recognize that it needs pruning. Why does the Campaigner pretend otherwise? Why do her supporters fall so eagerly in line?
Might they perhaps have something to gain, in a city where the price for the honey they've been buying up in bulk suddenly shoots through the roof of the 'Neath?
edited by Gul al-Ahlaam on 6/29/2017

The Detective fights the upper crust so that she can purge corruption and the selfish who abuse power. Sure, they want to use law in their own ways, but the devil is in the details. Feducci uses it for personal gain and political power, the Detective wants to push for an honest legal system and the lessening of needless suffering within it. You're comparing apples to oranges just because they're both fruit.

I'd be hypocritical if I said I didn't disagree with some of her policies or methods, but at least what she's doing is out of love for others and will do some good should she become in charge. I prefer the Detective's methods of clearing the law and the higher up of their wrongdoing, but you mistake preference for hatred. My point is that the Detective is my first pick, but Feducci is by no means my second.
edited by Sir Joseph Marlen on 6/29/2017

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+3 link
Edward Warren
Edward Warren

6/29/2017
Fellow citizens, when deciding who to vote for, please consider which candidate has the potential to bring about not just change, but lasting change.

The new mayor will only be here for a year. After that a new mayor will rule London, free to reverse or build upon the previous mayor's legacy as he/she sees fit. Based on the policies of the other candidates, how can anyone other than Rightful Mayor Feducci bring about lasting change for the better?

The Implacable Detective speaks of more power to police, and plots in secret for the prosecution of corrupt officials. How will she succeed in this, in a city where it's a rather poor kept secret that Parliament is in the pocket of Our Benefactors, the Masters of the Bazaar? Even if the case isn't immediately dismissed, it will certainly be drawn out beyond her term, where it will be almost assuredly quietly dropped. A sad fact of the world is there will always be crime, always be corrupt politicians. After the Campaigner is gone, the Bazaar will still be here, and so will the gangs. The smart crooks need only wait a year to return to their wicked ways.

The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner intends to open more poorhouses and abolish cheap pleasures like honey and alcohol. Sinning Jenny spent the majority of her term building poorhouses and setting up programs for the disenfranchised. To vote for a candidate promising essentially the exact same thing rephrased is to admit either that Sinning Jenny either accomplished nothing or couldn't manage to do enough to tackle the issue, even with all the powers of the mayoral office. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence in her ability to tack this issue, nor the urgency of tackling this issue.

Banning cheap vices won't make the demand disappear, it will only drive it underground. Is it in the best interests of London to vote for a year where the only suppliers of alcohol are parts of the criminal underground? A criminal underground that will then be able to charge whatever it wants for what is currently popular and widely available? How will the Esteemed Masters Wines and Spices take this development? How likely are they to tolerate it.

Conscientious Londoners would better serve the community by practicing abstinence, something they can do freely now without detriment to those who enjoy these harmless pleasures. This policy will assuredly be quickly repealed in a year's time, and there shall be much rejoicing.

And again, let us not forget our experiences of the past election cycle. The Dauntless Temperance Campaigner owes favors to the Revolutionaries. Anyone even vaguely familiar with organized crime can tell you that owing a disrepuatable bunch like that favors is tantamount to them owning you. By the end of the campaign the Jovial Contrarian's campaign was all but taken over by the Calendar Council, with February herself openly walking the halls as his "assistant". Is these really the people we want to hold the reigns of power for a whole year?

There is but one man who has a real plan. One that is at once both so audacious and cunning that it will instantly have a lasting affect on the balance of power in Our Fair City forever: Feducci.

A chain anyone can climb. A London where ranks and titles may change hands by the hour. It will make a mockery of all that the upper echelons hold dear, and that's the brilliance of it. True change has always begun with the limiting of the elite's power. The only thing that sets our so called "betters" and rulers apart from us are their claims of blood purity and titles they've carried and inherited for generations. Take that away, and there's nothing that makes them more inherently special than any other man. Devaluing their prestige and social standing is the first step towards abolishing it utterly.

Might it seem absurd? Might it be an unprecedented course of action? Yes! But can the same be not said for nailing a theses to the doors of the church? Dear friends, let them try to challenge us, let them repeal our new order when our year is up. But the damage to their veneer of invulnerability will be everlasting. We will draw first blood. We will make the first crack in the dam holding back an age of freedom and equality!

Dear friends! Let us use this election to build a lasting legacy! Don't vote for a candidate that will foster complacency among the poor, vote for the one that gives every man an honest chance to advance, should he have the spine to work for it! For a Fair London, I beseech you!

VOTE FEDUCCI!

--
WHAT IS BELOW CANNOT ESCAPE WHAT IS ABOVE
+1 link
Azothi
Azothi

6/29/2017
My response for when this was posted earlier is here, and the previous page on that thread contains the responses of others as well.
edited by Azothi on 6/29/2017

--
Azoth I, the Icarian Traveller
Away to where the Chain cannot bind us.
0 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

6/29/2017
Edward Warren wrote:
Dear friends! Let us use this election to build a lasting legacy! Don't vote for a candidate that will foster complacency among the poor, vote for the one that gives every man an honest chance to advance, should he have the spine to work for it! For a Fair London, I beseech you!

VOTE FEDUCCI!

The support Feducci offers is one of his own selfish benefit. He speaks of progress, yet who is not to say that we or even his fellow campaigners won't be the ones left in the dust in his ascent? How can we support a man who preaches an honest chance when we deals in backdoor benefits from foreign deals with the Presbyterate and duels to the death with dangerous mortals when he himself is an unbeatable immortal? The man isn't even honest with his status as a Tomb-Colonist, just look at that healthy skin under his bandages! Our candidates aren't perfect, but they have the potential to do great things, whether they be of a temporary boon to society or a small but lasting provision for our betterment. Feducci's chance will only be for his own gain and for those strong enough to survive the dog-eat-dog world he wants.

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+3 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

6/29/2017
The more I mull over the election information and all the general opinions people have regarding the more secure I feel in my choice in supporting the Implacable Detective. She has the most compelling angle of the group to me, with potential for serious risks and significant discoveries should she be elected, along with seeing just what her Stereoscopist allies might do over the course of her term. The Detective just appears to be in far deeper waters than the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner, and her content is more likely to be serious in contrast to what I suspect would be a vaguely humourous reign should the DTC win. It's the same sort of reason I had for supporting the Jovial Contrarian last year.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
0 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

6/29/2017
I'd rather see the Implacable Detective elected mayor than
darned Feducci. At least your candidate is actually in it to do something feasible and reasonable, with the intention to change things for the better.

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
0 link
Lord Gazter
Lord Gazter

6/29/2017
Extra! Extra! Dauntless Temperance Campaigner's Campaign full of bribery and corruption! 5 Pence A Copy

--
Lord Gazter: a charming gentleman of noble birth and a person of significant influence.

Victoria Crow: a spirited la.. young woman and freshly anointed firebrand.

Get a copy of the Phlegethonian Gazette for pertinent and trustworthy news! Only ten pence!
0 link
Captain Blood Storm
Captain Blood Storm

6/30/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
dov wrote:
Passionario wrote:
Or maybe because Jenny, like Feducci, is referred to by name rather than [Adjective] [Noun].

Possibly.

Feducci is also significantly more familiar to players than the other two candidates. Regardless of platform, he has a huge advantage already just based on name-recognition and past interactions in the game.

A lot of that familiarity is very negative though :P As in, he's that jerk who you have to do an insane grind in order to fight, kills you if you fail the check, and won't stay dead.

• ...I'm not gonna lie, that's already a massive amount of relative good press compared to the jerk who keeps chasing me when I do certain grinds too much while handing me cards I never use, and the jerk who exists to say mean things at me in an opportunity card.

--
    Captain Blood Storm, the Discordant, Twice-Dawnburnt, Worm-Hugging Vake Rider https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
  • +1 link
    Dungerson
    Dungerson

6/30/2017
    I think most of us are pretty bad at holding grudges. Sinning Jenny also poisons people at random during the Festival, but that never became an issue. smile In a way I suppose that's good, since we're focusing more on the candidates' platforms and policies rather than getting distracted by their characters... (Well, this is the Neath after all, both the candidates and us the "regular" voters are probably missing one or two sandwiches from our picnic baskets anyway.)

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Dungerson
    0 link
    Frederick Metzengerstein
    Frederick Metzengerstein

7/1/2017
    If anyone has gotten into any unfortunate and distressing *alleged* incidents recently, my character is a good friend of the Detective and also has a social calendar that just so happens to often provide convenient alibis. Do call, it's only logical.
    0 link
    Trilby
    Trilby

7/1/2017
    Alright, The Campaigner plans on making Honey Wells to dispose of ALL of London's Prisoners Honey, and The False Tomb Colonist is a backstabbing snake who always puts himself first.
    What's the worst dirt The Detective has against him?

Aside from the fact that it'd make my job harder.
    edited by Agent 'Trilby' on 7/1/2017
    edited by Agent 'Trilby' on 7/1/2017

--
    |````^"""""""""""""""""""'^```|
    |__________________________|
    0 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/1/2017
    Trilby wrote:
    Alright, The Campaigner plans on making Honey Wells to dispose of ALL of London's Prisoners Honey

Not all the honey, just some of it, and it's a temporary stopgap measure to get it off the streets during the election. Her platform is temperance, not prohibition, so she just wants to make it harder/more expensive to buy, not prohibit it.

Trilby wrote:

The Detective is a lady. She's allied with the magicians and lensmen of the Glass, who are the allies and/or servants of the powers behind the mirrors. She's also planning something called 'the Grand Persecution' to cleanup London's justice system, so at the very least she has some scores she is very intent on settling.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/1/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    +2 link
    Isaac Zienfried
    Isaac Zienfried

7/1/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    'the Grand Persecution'

Prosecution, actually. I don't want to be a nitpick, but they're very different words despite sounding so alike.

Anne Auclair wrote:
    Her platform is temperance, not prohibition, so she just wants to make it harder/more expensive to buy, not prohibit it.

To be fair to our opponents, it's easy to miss the distinction, but yes. So many hear the line "maybe we shouldn't be giving addicts more of what they're addicted to" and think it means "literally never any honey or booze for anyone." Then again, there are probably some among our ranks who would like it that way.
    edited by Isaac Zienfried on 7/1/2017

--
    Isaac Zienfried, 'The Vacillating Belligerent.'
    A gentleman of complicated loyalties, complicated morality, and complicated goals.
    But really, it's hard to keep things simple down here!
    0 link
    galatine42
    galatine42

7/2/2017
    Hi all. If any Fixers or Campaigners are in need of assistance, I would be happy to donate/have my reputation repaired. smile

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Galatine42
    0 link
    Trilby
    Trilby

7/2/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Trilby wrote:
    Alright, The Campaigner plans on making Honey Wells to dispose of ALL of London's Prisoners Honey

Not all the honey, just some of it, and it's a temporary stopgap measure to get it off the streets during the election. Her platform is temperance, not prohibition, so she just wants to make it harder/more expensive to buy, not prohibit it.

That barely makes it any less of a terrible idea.
    Even then, it will be the only option she will have until a more efficient substitute is found.
    And I not sure what would be worse to find;
    The honey no longer in the Well, or the honey seemingly untouched.

Sure it's only some of it, but how much is 'some'?
    Think for a second about how much honey exists within London at the instant your reading this.
    Think about how much must be Imported into London to supply its rapid use of the substance.

Also, I must ask; Is 'some' possibly subject to change?
    And just how far is she willing to push this?

Imagine how long it would take to find an option that doesn't potentially involve flooding the Zea with honey?

And imagine if that were to happen.

Imagine the effects on the innocent citizens, the children and urchins, the recovering honey addicts, the poets, and the recovering ex-seekers when the main source of London's water; (and-if it isn't the stolen river-)the stolen river is contaminated with Well Honey.

London isn't exactly known for its water treatment facility's, and just imagine what dreams the honey might induce.

And do we really want to know if the substance can mix into the fogs of False Summer (or was that False Fall), or the False Snow of False Winter?

Do we want to know if the effects Wells have on water down here is infectious to other substances?

And it's not as though dreams aren't already an area of danger with the Wells.

And it's entirely possible to drown one in honey.

And it's not as though Wells can be considered limited to man made structures; look at it right, and any hole that can be used as an area of storage for something can be a Well.

I see no end of no good coming from this plan of hers, and I for one would prefer to play it on the safe side here.

edited by Agent 'Trilby' on 7/2/2017

--
    0 link
    Trilby
    Trilby

7/2/2017
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Trilby wrote:

Trilby wrote:

The Detective is a lady. She's allied with the magicians and lensmen of the Glass, who are the allies and/or servants of the powers behind the mirrors. She's also planning something called 'the Grand Persecution' to cleanup London's justice system, so at the very least she has some scores she is very intent on settling.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 7/1/2017

...would she look the other way for a fellow member of the glass?

I still have a reputation to build as the bazaar's most most visiting thief.

--
    0 link
    Jithin Prakash
    Jithin Prakash

7/2/2017
    I support the detective wholeheartedly 😀

--
    Paramount Presence and one of London's foremost authorities on the Correspondence, "Professor" Jithin Prakash is a Hedonistic Philanthropist by day and a Duelist Master Thief Soul trader by night.

0 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

7/2/2017
    Trilby wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Trilby wrote:

That barely makes it any less of a terrible idea.
    Even then, it will be the only option she will have until a more efficient substitute is found.
    And I not sure what would be worse to find;
    The honey no longer in the Well, or the honey seemingly untouched.

Sure it's only some of it, but how much is 'some'?
    Think for a second about how much honey exists within London.
    Think about how much must be made every second, of every minute, of every hour, of every day, of every week, of every month, of every year.

The honey isn't made in London, it is imported from Hell.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    0 link
    Eric Larrieu-let
    Eric Larrieu-let

7/2/2017
    I do admit the idea of Mr. Eaten consuming all that honey and gaining strenght does make me more interested in the Campaigner.
    If people gave more sweets to Mr. Eaten he would not be so grumpy.
    +2 link