Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election 1895: The Implacable Detective Messages in this topic - RSS

Akernis
Akernis

6/23/2017
Kukapetal wrote:
She's totally going to win. Feducci has too many skeletons in his closet and Whatsherface is too bland. I doubt it'll even be much of a contest.

When has that ever been a deterrent in (Fallen) London? Just because you dislike immoral characters doesn't mean everyone who plays this game does. I am willing to bet that a for a fair few - myself included - this is exactly why campaigning for Feducci is a promising prospect, as he seems by far the more interesting character.

--
Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
0 link
Frederick Metzengerstein
Frederick Metzengerstein

6/23/2017
dov wrote:
(though I'm not sure that's how it happened in Britain)
Women gained the right to stand for election to parliament in 1918 but only women over 30 were allowed to vote. There were women who stood for election who were not entitled to vote.
edited by Frederick Metzengerstein on 6/23/2017
0 link
Rostygold
Rostygold

6/23/2017
In the case of her victory, her card will obviously have one option which gives a Favour: Constables - but what about the other...?
0 link
Aberrant Eremite
Aberrant Eremite

6/23/2017
Rostygold wrote:
In the case of her victory, her card will obviously have one option which gives a Favour: Constables - but what about the other...?

Her card will have only one option. Because there will be only one logical solution.

--
Hieronymus Drake: Gentleman scholar, big-game hunter, scar-faced aristocrat. Remarkably sane, all things considered.
Tanith Wyrmwood: Longshanks cat-burglar; Bohemian author; now, perhaps, something more. Bubbly, expressive, and affectionate. It’s not only still waters that run deep.
Telemachia Lee: Gentle lady by birth, brawling Docker by choice. Good company in the drunk tank.
+7 link
dov
dov

6/23/2017
Rostygold wrote:

I don't think that's a given.

Jenny's card gives Favours with either the Criminals or the Docks. But if I had had to guess in advance I would have been sure her card would give Connections with the Bohemians.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Sir Reginald Monteroy
Sir Reginald Monteroy

6/23/2017
I have to admit, as a radical scholar by both heart and occupation, I was rather worried after seeing the first two candidates. Imagine my delight when this fine, free thinking lady stepped in.
Not that I much care for London's politics, the Masters and their power plays, but I care even less to imagine the possible hurdles a capable agent of the Presbyterate in such a prominent position of power could impose on a certain expedition which I suspect many of you gentlebeings share with yours truly.
And while am no fonder of Hell and its foothold in the vices of our fine city, to the extent of actually having supported my old friend the Bishop in the previous election, I hardly wish to consider the effect the Campaigner's likely policies will exert on the availability of commodities and services crucial for those of us who plumb and brave the farther reaches and indeed limits of scientific knowledge, accepted rules of reality and reason and sanity themselves.

All in all, I have to conclude that until we see His Amused Lordship or the other London's Bishop vie for the position, this sharp old dog is the best hope for those who value unobstructed freedom for unconventional thought. It is, after all, the only logical conclusion.

~Sir Reginald Monteroy, Correspondent

--
Sir Reginald Monteroy, Paramount Glassman of the Ancient Regime, Courier's Footprint, Poet-Laureate and Cider owner. Compulsively editing his posts.

http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Sir Reginald Monteroy

If you desire a sip of Hesperidean Cider, PM me in the game.
+1 link
phryne
phryne

6/23/2017
re: dov & Anne Auclair - the whole discussion on women voting or not:

I think you both missed something: that quote about women wanting to vote has been around for a long time and obviously refers to the elections for Parliament. Since the text has never been changed, I'd say that women are at this time (1895) still not allowed to vote there, even though they can clearly be elected themselves (see the Northbound Parliamentarian).

The mayoral elections were only introduced last year (1894) and it has never been implied that voting in them isn't open to all citizens of Fallen London.

--
4 Accounts, 4 Ambitions finished: Bag a LegendLight FingersHeart's DesireNemesis
Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writerDestiny Guide
+1 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

6/23/2017
phryne wrote:

The mayoral elections were only introduced last year (1894) and it has never been implied that voting in them isn't open to all citizens of Fallen London.

Out of curiosity, has there been in-game text or FB announcements that explicitly state that our PCs actually vote? Last years mechanic of Campaigner+Notability could be interpreted as one's influence on the voters of London, irregardless of if one voted or not.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
+3 link
PJ
PJ

6/24/2017
Summerset... Not to long ago I was working at the University, well on my way to building a Department of Correspondence. I took some time out of my work to investigate a murder on campus, solved the case, brought the villain to justice, and was summarily thrown out on my ear. No one at Summerset thanked me for helping to oust their villainous president, thus preserving the soul of their organization. Clearly they preferred to leave the corruption at their school's heart to fester.

She has Summerset snakes carrying her banners? No, I cannot support her. I do not forgive.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
+6 link
Odin, All-father
Odin, All-father

6/24/2017
I just remembered that the next part of the Dilmun Club story will likely be coming in the next year. And if the Implacable Detective is in a position of power when the expedition is launched...
This cannot be allowed to happen, she must be stopped.
+1 link
Brad O'Connell
Brad O'Connell

6/25/2017
Well, I've only shown one of the candidates my Peculiar Personal Enhancement. She has my vote.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Teleri

Up for all social actions except suspicious loitering and trailing the affluent photographer, unless you go with the a selfishness option, in which case go for it. May space out requests for menace reduction.
+3 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

6/26/2017
To all those opposed to the Implacable Detective for her support of the constables, those that see the men in blue as authoritarian oppressors and puppets of the masters.

I'd like to cite a quote from the Connected: Constables card.
"Bent or straight, a copper does more good in a week than most do in a lifetime."
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 6/26/2017

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+1 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

6/26/2017
Infinity Simulacrum wrote:
"Bent or straight, a copper does more good in a week than most do in a lifetime."

I don't know about that. A person can do a lot of good things in a lifetime. Just an ordinary job produces a lot of good results every day.
0 link
Akernis
Akernis

6/26/2017
Investigating the Implacable Detective

A young, green-eyed lady walks and elegantly bows before you. "My apologies, ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between. But I was asked by a friend-of-a-friend to share this with you."
She hands out a report detailing a visit to the office of the Implacable Detective's campaign.

[spoiler]
The Implacable Detective has set up her campaign headquarters in her own offices, which are currently doubling as the Guildhall of the Honourable Company of Stereoscopists.

Her finances are, as expected, all entirely above board and scrupulously documented. Fees from staff are deducted for excessive lunch breaks and to compensate printers for wasted leaflets. Donors are scrutinised, and their affiliations probed, before their donations are accepted. Intriguingly, she has ordered campaign staff to begin a thorough report into the inner workings of the city justices, courts, and constabulary in preparation for 'the Grand Prosecution'. No other aspect of civic governance has received anywhere near so much attention.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Akernis?fromEchoId=11941057
[/spoiler]
edited by Akernis on 6/26/2017

--
Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
+3 link
A Dimness
A Dimness

6/26/2017
Gillsing wrote:
Infinity Simulacrum wrote:

I don't know about that. A person can do a lot of good things in a lifetime. Just an ordinary job produces a lot of good results every day.

There's good results and there's righteous results. Few occupations in London put one at as much risk for so little reward as being a Constable, it is their job to help innocents being harangued, robbed, murdered, it is their job to keep the streets of London safe and it is their sacrifice that goes unnoticed because all they accomplish is the maintaining of the status quo.

"They protect the rich, the powerful, and the masters. But sometimes, too, they protect the wretched poor."
And not many do so. For all the vigilante action a single PC can commit, there'll always be the thousands they, as a single person, can't protect, and that the Constables do. The Blue Beast trounces the criminals and the anarchists when there's no one else to do it.
edited by Infinity Simulacrum on 6/26/2017

--
A truth so strange it can only be lied into existence
+1 link
Vavakx Nonexus
Vavakx Nonexus

6/26/2017
Fun fact: The Honourable Company of Stereoscopists is allied with the Fingerkings, who want to enter London through the clay men of Polythreme fame.

[spoiler]Starting of, she is shown being supported by the Magicians of the Glass themselves, who also work with the Fingerkings:
"A few magicians of the Glass attempt to lift spirits with a puppet show of Feducci and the Dauntless Temperance Campaigner, with limited success."

Confirming that the Stereoscopists are involved in the Wars of Illusion in one way or another is easy. Their gift towards the PC is a hat covered in mirrors, and the very title of Stereoscopist hints at working with mirrors.

Conducting a Flash Lay on the detective shows that the Stereoscopics require a delivery of a mirror, something which the Cats would be fully able to accomplish themselves, and the Fingerkings cannot:
"The Stereoscopics just showed up one day," he observes, apropos of nothing. "They say they helped her once, when she was about to lose a case. She could never bear to lose. They want her help; a flawless mirror delivered somewhere."

Based on this fact, and the previously mentioned

Continuing from that tidbit, in one of the cases you can get from the Detective, the Case of the Deranged Medium, we get help from a mirror covered with bone-coloured coiled serpents:
"The serpents speak!
'Our brothers. Their sister. Eyes wide. Fingers tight. Songs deep. Open heart. Garden gate. Children wait.' Their whispers touch something in your memories. Yes. A place to go. A time to be there."

The serpents are fully willing to assist the Detective and her representatives on cases, even cases against themselves, as the Deranged Medium was possessed by one of the Fingerkings. Speaking of the Case of the Deranged Medium, another tidbit:

"Green light flares in the mirror propped against the boathouse wall: a light you've seen before, perhaps? The Medium is singing, a breathy refrain that switches between English and Loamsprach, the language of the Clay Men. You can only catch phrases: 'We will exist! ' 'Clothed in jade and clothed in mud!' 'The king with a hundred hearts!' 'No flying thing, no thing that flies!' 'The garden gates, with faces locked...'"

It outlines the motivations of the Fingerkings: existing in the Neath, whether as clay men or humans. From this, we can outline a rough plan of what they might hope to achieve by supporting such a lawful candidate:

By increasing the rights given to the Constables, they would expand the reach of the Masters of the Bazaar, earning their favour. With this favour, they would be able to bargain for a part of the clay men that Polythreme regularly delivers to London and the Masters. These men, then, would be inhabited by serpents, achieving the goal of physical existence described above.

So, that's that. The Implacable Detective is working with the Fingerkings, whether she knows it or not.[/spoiler]

--
Amets Estibariz, the Moulting Eidolon: Cradled by a sun all their own.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. A Clarity In The Darkness.

Charlotte and the Caretaker: A family?
+8 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

6/26/2017
[spoiler]Well, now with the Detective's investigation results, I'd dare to say that those who feared the Detective to be a lacky of the Constables will have evidence against the matter and may reconsider their options. Glad to know that this isn't a "more power to those in power" campaign.[/spoiler]

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+2 link
Cthonius
Cthonius

6/26/2017
I'm curious but concerned. She lost my vote by wanting to increase powers of the Constabulary, when to be frank they have too much power as is and abuse it. But then the investigation results suggest a purging of corrupt elements? But even if that is what is happening, giving more powers and removing current corruption does nothing against future corruption to occur. I want to know more of her plans, but I may be yet swayed

--
Cthonius, gone North. Gone.

Oneiropompus, a Scarlet Saint, eager to help make your dreams realities. Accepting all social requests for now.
+1 link
Dungerson
Dungerson

6/26/2017
Everyone is talking about difficult, complicated matters, but I just want to add that because she campaigns for "a need to provide for the ailing and forgotten detectives," she might just be able to rehabilitate the Honey-Addled Detective.

Because he is probably that detective, who knows what crazy things this might lead to?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Dungerson
+5 link
Brad O'Connell
Brad O'Connell

6/26/2017
Cthonius wrote:
I'm curious but concerned. She lost my vote by wanting to increase powers of the Constabulary, when to be frank they have too much power as is and abuse it. But then the investigation results suggest a purging of corrupt elements? But even if that is what is happening, giving more powers and removing current corruption does nothing against future corruption to occur. I want to know more of her plans, but I may be yet swayed

I am supporting the detective, but, to play Devil's advocate, purging corruption could be purging actual corruption, purging perceived corruption, or using corruption as an excuse to purge whoever you want.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Teleri

Up for all social actions except suspicious loitering and trailing the affluent photographer, unless you go with the a selfishness option, in which case go for it. May space out requests for menace reduction.
+4 link