Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Elementary Election Explainer Messages in this topic - RSS

genesis
genesis

6/28/2017
Anne Auclair wrote:
Does performing a Rally with Revolutionaries raise Advancing the Liberation of the Night?

For the Campaigner cashing in Donations? No, it does not, as far as I can tell.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
+1 link
genesis
genesis

6/29/2017
The Learning about Elections storylet seems to have been updated to explain how Influncing the Election works and, if I am reading it right, it seems to suggest that next week when debates are introduced we can gain Influence in excess of the current maximum (which is currently 10)

--

+1 link
gamebyter
gamebyter

7/2/2017
I do not understand the Fixer stuff. When I get an invitation from a Fixer to fix my scandal or suspicion nothing changes after I accepted. Scandal is still the same as before. Someone out there who can enlighten me, please?
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

7/2/2017
It's a multiple-step process.

1: The Fixer sends you an invite to reduce your menace quality.

2: You accept, which gives the Fixer a quality denoting that they're presently helping someone. They can only help one person at a time.

3: The Fixer completes several actions relating to reducing your menace. When they're done, your menace is reduced and they get some bonus Influence.

--
Diptych, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+1 link
Gillsing
Gillsing

7/2/2017
genesis wrote:
  • Modest donations are cashed in for 1 Influencing the Election level up to a maximum of 4 and 0-1 Favours (or 25 CP Connected) with Criminals, Docks or the Church
  • Moderate donations are cashed in for 1 Influencing the Election level up to a maximum of 7 and 0-1 Favours (or 25 CP Connected) with Bohemians, Constables or Revolutionaries
  • Major donations are cashed in for 1 Influencing the Election level up to a maximum of 10 and 1 Favour (or 50 CP Connected) with Society or Hell

This doesn't seem to agree with the wiki, where donations simply give Donations Received (5, 25 and 50, respectively), which can presumably be merged or split up as needed depending on which level of event the Campaigner needs to hold to level up Influencing the Election. In fact, it looks like these three list entries are just typos, where "donations" should be changed to "events". It also looks like it would be most efficient to just collect five extravagant donations, since that would give 250 Donations Received, which should cover all the events needed to get to level 10.
+1 link
dov
dov

7/5/2017
For those interested in the mechanics, here's how the debates work:

What are Debates?
  • Debates are a new social action which you can use to increase your Election Influence up to 15. (Other career-specific social actions can raise this only up to 10.)
  • Anyone can challenge anyone for a debate, if they support different candidates (though they can switch candidates mid-debate, with no impact on it :-)).
  • By participating in debates (win or lose), you'll get some amount of Winnings from Your Debates. You can use those to increase your influence via the The Spoils of War storylet (visible once you have some Winnings earned.).
  • The higher your Influence, you'll need more Winnings to advance. The cost is (100 x current influence).

How does it work?
Debates are a multi-step social action chain, where the two parties trade social actions until a winner is determined. You can only debate with one person at a time. There's an option to drop out of the debate (useful, if you feel that you've been waiting an unreasonable amount of time for your partner to make their move).
There are 3 separate phases:

Initiation phase (2 social actions):
  • Player A sends a debate offer
  • Player B accepts (sets A's Readying Yourself to Debate to 1)
  • --> Game selects venue (see below)

Preparation phase (4 social actions):
  • Player A selects tactic (sets B's Readying Yourself to Debate to 1)
  • Player B selects tactic (sets A's Readying Yourself to Debate to 2)
  • Player A selects argument style (sets B's Readying Yourself to Debate to 2)
  • Player B selects argument style (sets A's Readying Yourself to Debate to 3)

Completion phase (2 social actions):
  • Player A engages in Debate (sets B's Readying Yourself to Debate to 4!), and sees their results (rewards, menaces, etc.). This also applies the results to Player B, but without any message!
  • Player B checks the debate results (this resets all debate qualities for both parties, including A Debate Partner). No debate rewards/menaces are actually shown, since they were applied in the previous step done by Player A.

What tactics are available?
  • Tactics are chosen in the first part of the preparation phase.
  • These do not affect who wins, but will affect possible rewards/menaces, etc.
  • The Honourable tactic means you're not adding any modifiers to the debate results.
  • You can Cheat to (almost) guarantee success, but for reduced Winnings. more below.
  • Campaigners can invite donors. This will multiply the eventual Winnings of both parties by 1.25. If both sides are campaigners and choose this, the eventual rewards will be multiplied by 1.5.
  • Agitators can choose to reduce their opponent's Winnings (reduces Winnings by 20%).
  • Fixers can choose to protect themselves from bad tactics of the opponent (menaces, reduced rewards, etc.)
  • Feducci supporters can choose to inflict 3 CP of Wounds on their opponent
  • Detective supporters can choose to inflict some Suspicion on their opponent
  • DTC supporters can choose to inflict some Scandal on their opponent

How is the winner determined?:
  • The winner is decided only by the argument style chosen in the second part of the preparation phase.
  • This is a Rock/Paper/Scissor mechanic.
  • A Pecuniary argument beats a Demagogic one, which beats a Defamatory one, which beats a Pecuniary one.

How are rewards determined?:
  • The base rewards are: 600 for winning, 200 for a draw, 100 for losing.
  • If you've noticed, as part of the initiation phase the game selects at random one of three locations to host the debate.
  • Modifiers are applied to the base rewards, based on player choices, and the venue
  • The highest possible reward is 1350 Winnings (winning with the preferred argument style, and both parties choosing the Campaigner tactic to bring a donor).
  • The lowest possible reward is 80 Winnings (losing with a not-preferred argument style, and the other party using the Agitator tactic).
  • Of course, if the other party chose their candidate's specific tactic, you'll receive some menaces (unless you chose the Fixer tactic).

What's the actual math?
If you insist:
  • Each hosting location has a preferred argument style. If you've selected the preferred style, your base Winnings will receive a multiplier of 1.5.
  • If the other person chose the Agitator tactic, your Winnings multiplier is reduced by 0.2. (so your multiplier is 1.3 for a preferred argument style, or 0.8 otherwise). If you chose the Fixer tactic, you can bypass this penalty.
  • Then, if one of you chose the Campaigner tactic (invite a donor) your multiplier is multiplied by 1.25 (or by 1.5, if both of you chose that tactic).
Formula:
  • Base (loss / draw / win) = 100 / 200 / 600
  • Argument bonus (not-preferred / preferred) = 1 / 1.5
  • Agitator penalty (not used / used) = 0 / 0.2
  • Campaigner donor bonus (none / one donor / two donors) = 1 / 1.25 / 1.5
  • Final reward = ((base) x (((argument bonus - Agitator penalty)) x (Campaigner donor bonus)))

What was that about Cheating?
  • One of the tactics is to cheat. This will guarantee your win, no matter what argument you and your opponent choose.
  • However, you Winnings will be just 425, with no bonus for preferred argument.
  • At most you might get 531 Winnings, if your opponent chose the Campaigner donor option (1.25 multiplier).
  • But if both players choose to Cheat, they'll both receive no Winnings, as well as +3 CP to all menaces.

Summary
I've added a debate results calculator to the wiki. Check it out!

----
edited by dov on 7/9/2017

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+4 link
genesis
genesis

7/5/2017
Gillsing, thanks! I've updated the post. I am not sure "events" is a useful terms as it's a wiki invention and isn't found in the game mechanics.

Dov, excellent guide! Rather than duplicating your very good work, I simply linked to your post in the OP.

--

+1 link
Krampus
Krampus

7/5/2017
Will your election career level or respectively your total vote level in some way be disbursed?
Or is your reward simply the satisfaction that you helped your candidate to win?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/qwe1
0 link
genesis
genesis

7/6/2017
The careers level will give you some monetary reward but nowhere near enough to compensate the number of actions you would have sunk into it to raise it.

Influencing the Election quality is new and so we don't know whether it will affect the material rewards.

--

0 link
dov
dov

7/6/2017
Just an update that I've added a Debate Rewards Calculator to the wiki.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
AnyBellaCoolHusky
AnyBellaCoolHusky

7/6/2017
Thank you all for explaining this! It is beyond helpful and I am enjoying the election better now.

--
I am known as Roberta Anne-Bella in game.

✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓ ✓
0 link
SirKwint
SirKwint

7/6/2017
Wow, I like this flavour of prisoner's dilema!
I wish FB could share some statistics on how many people picked "Cheat", and how many people picked "Cheat" together!

Do you thinkg it's possible?

--
Truly and honorably yours,
SirKwint

Curiosity killed a lot of cats. And counting...
+1 link