Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Skies

For the discussion of our Sunless Skies, released January 2019.

Master Photos: Masters Wanted Messages in this topic - RSS

acorncap
acorncap

2/1/2017
So, one of the social goals for the Kickstarter is to create a photo of 11 different people as the 11 different masters. This sounds super fun, except for one thing: I don't have 10 friends willing to humor me on this, I've got maybe. Three. And I figure, I can't be the only one in this boat, so!

I was thinking, what we could do instead, would be to maybe work together. I'm by no means a professional, but if people would be willing to at the very least take their pictures as the masters, and send them to me or post them here, I'd be more than happy to shop them together!

SO, okay, it looks like we have one group all rigged and ready, and Ginneon Thursday has very kindly made a google sheet to keep track of all the different groups - (I hope you don't mind, I copied it and modified it a little here) Some instructions:

• You can email your master photos to amilolomy@gmail.com. Please include your forum username and your intended master either in the title or the body of the email, so we can keep track of who's who. If you'd rather not use email, you can also post your photo in this thread. The deadline for the photos is March 3rd, the end of the Kickstarter. It would be preferable to get them a little earlier, to allow for shop time.

• If possible, please take your photos in front of a solid color background. You can achieve this by tacking up a solid bedsheet or by finding a solid-colored wall. This isn't strictly necessary, but it is helpful for shopping purposes!

• We're starting to make other groups as well, so if you have a preferred group you'd like to be assigned to, do let me know! If you have no preferred group, but a preferred master, I'll just assign you to the next group with that master free.

• I've also included some descriptions of each Master, as they've been found, just below. However, do not feel pressured to cleave strictly to canon! Feel free to be as simple or elaborate as you wish.

Great thanks to Indigo Clardmond, Ginneon Thursday, Parelle, and TheThirdPolice for doing the research here! I'll add more as we find more.

[spoiler]
Mr. Apples
  • N/A

Mr. Hearts

• Mr Hearts' gloveless finger vanishes into its hood, from where you hear sucking. 'Finger' may be an inaccurate word. Perhaps 'talon' would be better.

Mr. Cups

• N/A

Mr. Mirrors
  • Mr Mirrors has stalked in behind you. Is that a saucer it's tucking into its voluminous sleeve?

Mr. Fires
  • Mr Fires wears a hooded robe of red so deep that in ordinary light it would appear black – but here, each element of its hue is individually distinguishable.

Mr. Iron
  • He motions with a gloved hand for you to turn the note over.
  • The solemn hood looks down on you and your spouse as a sleeve-hidden hand scribbles a note: STRENGTH IN NUMBERS. SOUND STRATEGY.

Mr. Pages
  • A hunched figure wrapped in a cloak the colour of parchment looms on your step. Ink stains dapple its drooping sleeves.

Mr. Spices
  • It is wearing many layers of cloaks against the cold air, and resembles an undertaker's laundry basket with feet.
  • ‘Wines is red’
    'Spices is yellow
    But old Jack-of-Smiles
    Is a murderous fellow’
Mr. Stones
  • Mr Stones' cloak shimmers, more grey than black. Perhaps it's the tiny diamonds woven into the fabric.

Mr. Veils
  • N/A

Mr. Wines
  • Mr Wines drums its long, gloved fingers on its desk of black coral.
  • ‘Wines is red’
    'Spices is yellow
    But old Jack-of-Smiles
    Is a murderous fellow’

Mr. Sacks
  • N/A

Mr. Eaten
  • N/A
[/spoiler]

Group 1

Group 2
  • Mr. Apples -
  • Mr. Hearts -
  • Mr. Cups -
  • Mr. Mirrors -
  • Mr. Fires -
  • Mr. Iron -
  • Mr. Pages -
  • Mr. Spices -
  • Mr. Stones - Isa1187
  • Mr. Veils -
  • Mr. Wines -
  • Mr. Chimes - Andele Vasyrich

edited by acorncap on 2/4/2017
edited by acorncap on 2/7/2017
edited by acorncap on 2/14/2017

--
Dr. Adelaide Capella - The Steadfast Doctor - Also a Watchful Patron
+2 link
Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

2/18/2017
And here is Mr. Sacks! With a totally voluntary and in no way abducted Rattus Faber assistant! [spoiler][/spoiler]
Edit: Better photo with less bg fluff
edited by Indigo Clardmond on 2/18/2017

--
Indigo Clardmond - A kind-hearted Notary that is also a member of the C.V.R. And good friend to the Rubberies. And close to Hell. A gentleman of many talents. He is most definitely not secretly an imp of an existential nature. That would just be silly.

Vazio Solus - A broken, bitter Correspondent with a sick relationship to the Truth. Defiant to all, even in the end, as the Gate was opened.

The Luminous Orphan - A dazzling young Doctor of legendary charisma, weaving powerful Celestial imagery while she studies the form...'a star' would certainly be an appropriate way to describe her.
+4 link
acorncap
acorncap

3/18/2017
I'm so sorry, I had some pretty drastic upheaval with my computer, so I took a lot longer putting this together than expected (Good thing they got what they needed, eh?). We only got 9/11 individual masters (10 if you count both sacks'), but here they are:

aka 'The Masters invade Mr. Irons' house and they proceed to ignore all of them'

Left to right, front to back:

Mr Fires - Indigo Clardmond
Mr Apples - Alice Mincoon
Mr Spices - FromBelowTheZee
Mr Hearts - acorncap
Mr Stones - futouristka's Mom
Mr Pages - Vortigaunt
Mr Irons - Von Darken
Mr Wines - CaptainBleifuss
Mr Sacks (Fluffy) - futouristka
Mr Sacks (Mole) - also Indigo Clardmond

Also the background is a public-domain stock photo found here: https://pixabay.com/en/living-room-victorian-historic-581073/
edited by acorncap on 3/18/2017

--
+4 link
Mr Sables
Mr Sables

2/9/2017
I'm just curious whether anyone can cosplay as a Master to help out.

Like, could we invite certain 'friends' to help in group shots?

Not sure if any Master wears blue, but . . .

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]
+3 link
suinicide
suinicide

2/9/2017
Very scary master. Would not mess with. The act of kidnapping a new friend /10 cosplay.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+2 link
Ginneon Thursday
Ginneon Thursday

2/2/2017
Here's another resource on the Masters: Part 1 & Part 2.

--
Ginneon Thursday: Revelrous Professor of Benthic
Departments of Mycoenology, Lepidoptery
+2 link
suinicide
suinicide

2/2/2017
Ginneon Thursday wrote:
Here's another resource on the Masters: Part 1 & Part 2.

I think it'd be fantastic if the wines cosplay was wrapped up in a carpet.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+1 link
Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

2/2/2017
CaptainBleifuss wrote:
To the canon descriptions, if anybody has any resources on the descriptions it'd be awesome if they'd post it! I've tried to find descriptions but so far.. I haven't found any good ones and for Wines am thinking brown cloak plus lots of wine bottles/maybe some shimmery honey and such.

After a lot of searching, here is all the pertinent canon text on each Master I could find, either describing them in a scene, their room, and/or a general impression that can inspire what they are likely to have on them that could be used for identifying cosplay.

I'll wrap it up in spoiler as it is a lot of text and some do come from spoiler storylets, though as I don't differentiate or identify them, you'd be hard pressed to figure out the spoilers unless you'd already seen them. Do like FBG's clever little hints and nudges in some of the descriptions.

[spoiler] Mr. Apples - Mr Apples seems delighted to see you. It presses honeyed wine on you and insists you try a variety of preserved fruits imported at tremendous expense from the Elder Continent. The fruits have wonderful healing properties, and taste extraordinary besides.
It whispers incautious gossip about the Masters in your eager ear. It does – a little unnervingly – place its hand on your knee several times. (Hand? Whatever it keeps in its glove, in any case.) Is this Masterly flirtation? Or is it determining whether you're ripe and plump for some dreadful purpose?

Mr. Hearts - The room is steaming hot. A broad marble counter is strewn with knives and cleavers and gobbets of gristle. Carcasses hang from ceiling-hooks. The air smells of blood and peppery seasoning.
The Master is fiddling with a fiendishly intricate machine, as big as an oven. A clank. A whirr! Its glove is snatched into the mechanism. Mr Hearts' gloveless finger vanishes into its hood, from where you hear sucking. 'Finger' may be an inaccurate word. Perhaps 'talon' would be better.

Mr. Cups - The ceilings of Mr Cups' parlour soar high above you. The walls are lined with vast display cabinets, filled with crockery, pottery, and sculpture. Some are worth trading a spouse for. Others are tools of social suicide.

Mr. Mirrors - The room is covered with a tessellation of mirrors. A tiny hand mirror has been tucked into the gap between the frames of two full length mirrors. The walls filled, more are suspended from the ceiling on thick chains. Each mirror differs from the next, but all have one thing in common - from the edge or corner of each, a shard of glass has been removed. Mr Mirrors has stalked in behind you. Is that a saucer it's tucking into its voluminous sleeve?

Mr. Fires - The apartments of Mr Fires blaze with light: gas, candle, scintillant stone, peculiar incandescent arc-bulbs of glass. You blink. It's like the Surface in here. Mr Fires wears a hooded robe of red so deep that in ordinary light it would appear black – but here, each element of its hue is individually distinguishable.

Mr. Iron - In all the vast room where you meet Mr Iron, you see only his chair and desk; a single many-lensed instrument of obscure function; and ranks of watchful neddy men. He comes forward and hands you a note. He motions with a gloved hand for you to turn the note over.

Mr. Pages - Mr Pages harangues a gang of sorry-looking Special Constables amongst a desperate wreckage of books and papers…A hunched figure wrapped in a cloak the colour of parchment looms on your step. Ink stains dapple its drooping sleeves. Leaning forward, it whispers to you hoarsely. "Nocturnous felicitations, Sir. I was hoping to have a word - more accurately, a multitude of words."

Mr. Spices - Mr Spices' den is a fragrant, colourful desert of seasonings. Your eye wanders over ridges of turmeric and basil; over dunes of lavender. Escarpments of cinnamon rise shoulder high. Scents press onto your tongue. The olfactory bombardment is exquisite; unbearable. How many kingdoms could this be worth? Mr Spices is standing, alone, at the edge of the mud-choked pond, gazing into the water. It is wearing many layers of cloaks against the cold air, and resembles an undertaker's laundry basket with feet.

Mr. Stones - Mr Stones' cloak shimmers, more grey than black. Perhaps it's the tiny diamonds woven into the fabric. The tapping of its claws fills the gloomy office.

Mr. Veils - Mr Veils’ rooms are black. Black-black, closed-eyelids black, Bazaar-buried black. But not empty, or silent. Its residents shriek distantly, flutter in ghastly proximity. There are airs: there are voices.

Mr. Wines - There appears to be some sort of banquet going on in Mr Wines’ rooms. As one, the guests rise and toast you. There is a rousing cheer. Everyone's favourite master, who probably doesn't eat children; only occasionally has innocents beaten by his neddies; and almost never ruins small shopkeepers with savagely devious back-room deals. He keeps a fine cellar, does Mr Wines. You are encouraged to taste its products until your head swims. You enjoy a pleasant half-hour listening to Mr Wines' tales of previous cities: the fermented mare's milk he sold in the Fourth, the maize-wine of the Third, the sour beer of the Second. Mr Wines presses a wax-sealed bottle on you as you leave. "I think you'd look charming in black," it says enigmatically. [/spoiler]

--
Indigo Clardmond - A kind-hearted Notary that is also a member of the C.V.R. And good friend to the Rubberies. And close to Hell. A gentleman of many talents. He is most definitely not secretly an imp of an existential nature. That would just be silly.

Vazio Solus - A broken, bitter Correspondent with a sick relationship to the Truth. Defiant to all, even in the end, as the Gate was opened.

The Luminous Orphan - A dazzling young Doctor of legendary charisma, weaving powerful Celestial imagery while she studies the form...'a star' would certainly be an appropriate way to describe her.
+1 link
acorncap
acorncap

2/2/2017
@Ginneon Thursday Ye! I put you down.

Also, I really like the idea of having a nod to Mr. Eaten in there. We could also perhaps slip some candles into the background- or try to pose ourselves so we can be shopped around a table or a well or something? Though that might be a bit tricky...

We could also find a 12th volunteer (Or if someone wants they could PROBABLY double up with Eaten and not TECHNICALLY break any rules) to put on a black sheet and just. Loom.

--
+1 link
Teaspoon
Teaspoon

2/2/2017
TheThirdPolice wrote:
I can be a backup Eaten, though not sure I've read any canon on the physical description.

Go as a giant candle!

Whilst on fire!

There is no possible way in which this is a bad idea.

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
+1 link
anarchetype
anarchetype

2/28/2017
i just checked the kickstarter update. they have all seven pictures that they need.

--
Anarchetype: http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Anarchetype
My Seeker alt: http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Chase%20Stein
Jimmy Casket: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jimmy%20Casket
All invites are welcome. Please no seeker betrayals.
+1 link
Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

3/1/2017
And here's my Mr. Fires, if still wanted. [spoiler] [/spoiler]
edited by Indigo Clardmond on 3/1/2017

--

+1 link
acorncap
acorncap

3/2/2017
I think since they've got what they need, I might just edit together the images I've already been sent, and I'll post it tomorrow. We might not quite have 11, but we've got about 8!

--
+1 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

3/2/2017
The 8 of us should start a new urchin gang: the Superfluous Masters, standing on each other's shoulders to recklessly imitate the city's rulers.

--
Irreal Raven Tender

Formerly dead, but I got better.

The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles
+1 link
Von Darken
Von Darken

3/2/2017
TheThirdPolice wrote:
The 8 of us should start a new urchin gang: the Superfluous Masters, standing on each other's shoulders to recklessly imitate the city's rulers.

Yes! We can take the rooftops by storm!

--
Mannfred von Darken - Accidentally aiding the forces of Evil since 1893
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mannfred%20Von%20Darken
+1 link
CaptainBleifuss
CaptainBleifuss

3/3/2017
TheThirdPolice wrote:

Oh yes, sign me up for that!

I'm really excited to see the finished picture, even if it is superfluous by now. A big big thank you to acorncap for organising this!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lucien%20Murvel
+1 link
Indigo Clardmond
Indigo Clardmond

2/12/2017
Robin Alexander wrote:
I'm just curious whether anyone can cosplay as a Master to help out.

Like, could we invite certain 'friends' to help in group shots?

Not sure if any Master wears blue, but . . .

[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Clearly it's the elusive and mysterious Mr. Paws! Master of all the marsh wolves, haunted dogs, and keeper of the vanished foxes!

On a semi-related note, been attempting to get some shots of myself as Mr. Fires and Mr. Sacks with little success, as I'm having difficulty framing the shot while being the subject in it! The bulkiness of my SLR and lack of an easy way to balance it in portrait mode (not to mention how difficult it is to manoeuvre in bulky Master robes and obscuring hood...darn my non space bat senses!) doesn't help matters.

If anyone has any advice in selfie cosplay photos, or is in the London area and would be willing to take the shots (I'd be happy to do the same in return), let me know! Otherwise I will attempt to enlist the help of a baffled outsider in the form of my family or friends, heh heh.

--

+1 link