Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

A New Festive Tale Available for Fate! Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse

12/20/2016
The Empress’ Shadow, a brand new festive Premium Story by Emily Short, available 23rd December!

Teach at Sinning Jenny's Finishing School! Recruit students and train them in important skills, such as deportment and maiming. Then send the class to plunder the secrets of the Empress' Shadow – Queen Victoria's eldest daughter, who is visiting from the surface!

The Empress’ Shadow will be available beginning 23rd December for 35 Fate. Begin this story at The Empress' Shadow: A Royal Barge at Wolfstack Docks, available throughout London during the festive season.

If you'd like to learn more about fate of the Empress' family, another holiday tale, The Gift, is also available to purchase. A festive favourite from years past, The Gift is a tale of terror, aberration, and the horrors beneath the Palace, by Chris Gardiner.

The Gift is available for 30 Fate, and you can find it via Explore the Festive Season, available throughout London.
+11 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

12/29/2016
Eglantine-Fox wrote:
Be fair, man! Santa's got as much right as anyone to get his bells jingled at the Parlour of Virtue!

Sacksy baby, wear a sigil under your hood for me,
Been a virtuous girl, Sacksy baby,
So hurry down the Parlour tonight

Sacksy baby, a set of new lingerie scant,
Deep gant,
I'll wait for you down here,
Sacksy baby,

Think of all the souls I've saved,
Think of all the revels that weren't
too depraved,
Next year I might not be Mayor;
I must give London what they've craved

Sacksy baby, do tell the Vake
We'll see it stuck up on a stake,
My Sisters all swear, Sacksy baby,

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+10 link
Chris Gardiner
Chris Gardiner
Administrator

12/23/2016
SEE?
+9 link
Chris Gardiner
Chris Gardiner
Administrator

12/23/2016
SOON
+7 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

12/30/2016
Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
Pnakotic wrote:
Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
Unmasking the Visitor's effect on the LoN is somewhat understandable, but I remain compounded by how, exactly, the Empress' Shadow taking control of the Observatory advances the LoN. I see no hints of revolutionary overtones, and I doubt that the Shadow is so bad at managing an Observatory as to further its enemies' cause.
I originally picked that ending because of my interest in the Observatory & the Kaiser's astronomical shenanigans anyways, and am kinda disappointed that this choice for some obscure and mysterious reason furthers the LoN.

Consider what you learned from the surface visitor. It's likely an "enemy of my enemy's friend" kind of situation.

That really doesn't make sense.The Shadow chooses to align herself with the Kaiser & his Observatory in this ending, and it is even stated that Berlin is resisting Revolutionary influence.
Patience wrote:
Revolutionary and British Influences Suppressed

There is literally nothing that can further the LoN coming from the Shadow and Berlin in this particular ending.

Okay, I think I figured this out. Helping the Shadow buy back influence actually decreases Advancing the Liberation of Night. The problem is that said quality has a custom change message, so it says you've advanced the Liberation even when the quality is dropping.

--
Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
+7 link
babelfishwars
babelfishwars
Administrator

1/3/2017
OK people - we'd really like to keep this thread on topic of the story, and not divert into larger analyses of Jenny/other candidates. I appreciate any story where she appears is part of her story - but we like to keep the individual threads non-intimidating for new players. Thanks! I'm going to clear this thread up a bit, and *try* to shift the main posts elsewhere, but the forum software is being mischievous this morning.
edited by babelfishwars on 1/3/2017

--
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
+7 link
 Saklad
Saklad

12/23/2016
This is easily one of my favorite stories of all time, and I’m still trundling through Sinning Jenny’s Finishing School! There are so many student combinations! I was originally going to take the Foreign Officer, the Visitor, and the Zailor, but when the Visitor was outed as a Prussian spy by the Foreign Officer, I decided against it. And now I realize the Daughter isn’t just reusing assets from the Governess story… Ms. Short, you’ve truly outdone yourself with this.

--
Saklad5, a man of many talents
+6 link
babelfishwars
babelfishwars
Administrator

12/23/2016
This is now live! Look for The Empress' Shadow: A Royal Barge at Wolfstack Docks anywhere in London to begin. Enjoy.

--
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
+6 link
suinicide
suinicide

12/21/2016
Well, its London. We've only met one character who wouldn't fit right in. (Thank you for being a good person, soft hearted widow)

--
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+6 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

12/23/2016
I couldn't launch this operation and not bring the Eldest Daughter along - for old times' sake - and the more I get to know her, the more I like her. I swear, I teared up a little, and wanted to hug her. They **** you up, your mum and dad.

--
+5 link
Art Shrival
Art Shrival

12/23/2016
This story was an absolute delight. There's just so many little things to enjoy. The content regarding Sinning Jenny juggling her responsibilities at the Parlor of Virtue as well as in her mayoral office was groundbreaking. I'm so glad to have been able to cash in on prior associations with Sinning Jenny and additionally grateful to have an opportunity to teach after my inevitable loss at University. I also loved being introduced to the story in the ambiguous capacity of an interested bystander rather than that of a destined hero archetype. I feel that it afforded my character much more flexibility in motivation and plausibility. Even after the initial glow of trying out a new story, this is by far my favorite.

[edit] Aaaahhhhhhh, new banner art for the Finishing School!
edited by Art Shrival on 12/23/2016
+5 link
PSGarak
PSGarak

12/23/2016
Commentary on mechanical rewards, in spoiler tags:

[spoiler]I'm out of action so I can't finish the story, but it seems that the school offers repeatable access to a 50/50 shot at Tomb-Colony or Docks favors? That's wonderful, since I don't like visiting the Tomb-Colonies themselves and their favors are otherwise hard to come by.

The "difficult" students all have a secondary graduation option. I unlocked the Zailor's based on my reward from The Gift--are the other two unlocked with different endings? [/spoiler]

Non-reward discussion: I will be running through the school repeatedly in order to hunt down every snippet of text, and I love that. Finding all the snippets is like putting together a jigsaw puzzle, and hunting for the final piece that you're missing. It's an exciting change-of-pace from the usual linear (-ish) presentation of content.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
+4 link
Passionario
Passionario

12/29/2016
IHNIWTR wrote:
i TOLD you people we should have elected the Bishop

"Smuggle the Shadow into the Fourth Coil for a wrestling match."

--
Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
Passion: Profile, Appearance
+4 link
Barse
Barse

12/29/2016
In the spirit of the original discussion, does anyone have echoes for the Revolutionary ending? My character was torn between the zailor and the anarchist, and I'd love to see the road not taken.

Irrelevancies:
[spoiler] I must confess I find myself puzzled by the Jenny debate, which seems to show up in every thread that Jenny's name is typed and swiftly sidetracks the thread from its titled purpose, which, half a year on, can be tiresome. It is interesting, though, that Jenny seems to be the only character in the entire game who provokes such detailed and close deconstructions of any of her presented positive qualities, for whatever reason and whatever end - it's hardly as if the Neath is lacking in shifty characters pretending to be less so. Some of them are even in positions of power, and yet they remain un-torn-down, the occasional redeeming feature left unopposed. [/spoiler]
edited by Barselaar on 12/29/2016

--
The Scorched Sailor, up for most social actions and RP. Not as scary as he looks.
+4 link
protonsinthedark
protonsinthedark

12/30/2016
Did anyone choose to turn her against Mr Wines? I'm pretty sure that's the only ending I haven't seen discussed yet.

--
Mio, a midnight, sinister, irresistible, and breathtaking lady of mysterious origins.
Calling cards, social actions, menace reduction requests, and newspaper interviews (Nemesis ambition) welcome. No boxed cats or Affluent Photographer requests please.
Other Characters:
tinyassassin, an orphan trained as an assassin, currently hunting the Vake.
Alexandre and Adriana, a pair of hedonistic twins betting their souls on the Marvellous...if they don't lose them to the devils first.
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

12/25/2016
Akernis wrote:
Anne Auclair wrote:
Akernis wrote:

My sole regret being that after making very sure not to pick the Anarchist's final choice I still got those damn seven words that I hate to see more than any in Fallen London
"You have advanced the Liberation of Night."
Oh well, I will just have to replay the story when available again.

How'd that happen?

-snip-

Oh, so the butterfly effect.
[spoiler]Spying on the Shadow reveals that Kaiser is aligned with the Judgments and a major piece in the Great Game. Some of the background class sedition conversation reveals that July has become active in Paris, which means the Revolutionaries are making some big plays on the Surface. From the glimpse of July some of us saw back in the Calendar Code, these efforts naturally involve undermining and overthrowing Surface governments. Overthrowing the government in Berlin removes a Judgment ally/Game piece and causes chaos, both which help July’s efforts and hence the Liberation by a small amount.[/spoiler]
It's best to keep the wider geopolitical picture in mind, nothing happens in a vacuum.
edited by Anne Auclair on 12/25/2016

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+3 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

12/31/2016
Yes, I think it would be advisable to resume discussing the story. I've noticed that collecting donations with your students has unique texts for both the Daughter and the Nun - has anyone found any others, for collections or for guard work at the Parlour?

--
+3 link
ochrasy
ochrasy

12/31/2016
I have to say, I was quite happy with the story. I don't share the same amount of enthusiasm as everyone else for personal reasons (I'm not a fan of any of the main characters), but the story was still very enjoyable.

my final decision was perfect, I believe. [spoiler] I chose to rat out on the spy, and it had the very nice reward of the empress' ruling berlin after all.[/spoiler]

and the mechanincs where great too. also, new carousel!

--
Ochrasy. Monster-Hunter. Dangerous and Watchful, favors the Constables.
Robitaille. Persuasive and Shadowy, fond of the Devils.
Herr Horst. Seeker of Revenge.
Ochrasy is open to all social actions. Send those to the other two accounts at your own risk, as they've been mostly abandoned.
+3 link
MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager

12/31/2016
ochrasy wrote:
I have to say, I was quite happy with the story. I don't share the same amount of enthusiasm as everyone else for personal reasons (I'm not a fan of any of the main characters), but the story was still very enjoyable.

my final decision was perfect, I believe. [spoiler] I chose to rat out on the spy, and it had the very nice reward of the empress' ruling berlin after all.[/spoiler]

and the mechanincs where great too. also, new carousel!

I was happy to get the new carousel, too! I've been wanting more chances for Tomb Colony favors, and though it's an unreliable source, it's not like I'm doing much else with my actions. And I was happy to see the Eldest Daughter again.

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
+3 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

12/23/2016
HOORAY

--
+3 link
Silverias
Silverias

12/20/2016
Is the gift not normally available outside the holidays? The way these announcements talk it sounds like it's ONLY available then, but I know I've seen it a few times around.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Silverias

Stop by and say hello, I'm a correspondent if you need someone to teach your kids.
+3 link
Crater
Crater

12/22/2016
Anne Auclair wrote:
I can't help but notice that Sinning Jenny's Finishing School is apparently a den of violence and iniquity :P

As are all establishments of education! Just ask the professors at Benthic and Summerset. Heh.

The thing to remember about iniquity is that it requires a moral code to be judged against. And those who rebel against morality need not be identical in their intent, their action, or their remorse. There are those who seek to destroy, to steal, even to dare change the moral code itself.

One wonders what a Shadow may Judge immoral...

--
Enigmas burn, but truth flares. One day, a truth shall flare upon us all.
+3 link
Barse
Barse

12/23/2016
Having blown through this on an alt in a state of some excitement, I'd just like to say what a wonderful story this is! Intrigue, an extremely useful and permanently unlocked new carousel thing and information of the rarest kind, that pertaining to life on the Surface - thank you to everyone involved.

Now to spend months agonising over every tiny choice on my main character...
edited by Barselaar on 12/23/2016

--
The Scorched Sailor, up for most social actions and RP. Not as scary as he looks.
+3 link
Chris Gardiner
Chris Gardiner
Administrator

12/23/2016
Akernis wrote:
Does anyone know how long this story will be available? As I won't have an opportunity to play for perhaps a week or so.
And in case it disappears sooner than that, can I access it by paying the Fate of the first storylet and then let it lie until I am ready to play?

It will be available in London throughout the festive season. Thereafter it will be available to purchase on the Fate page.
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

12/24/2016
Fadewalker wrote:
Well, just want to ensure I won't miss every little bit of the story: how many previous ES are required to unlock special branches/options in this story? And what ES? A PM will be very much appreciated, thank you!

Surface Visitor
[spoiler]Lost in Reflections[/spoiler]

--
+3 link
Addis Rook
Addis Rook

12/24/2016
Anne Auclair wrote:
I have a question - how many times do you supply courtiers to the Shadow before the final story and decision triggers?
edited by Anne Auclair on 12/24/2016

3 times, I believe.

That aside,

This story was FANTASTIC. It really fleshed out a lot of the lore that's more immediately relevant to us and our characters. I was absolutely torn at the end. SO MANY ENDINGS THIS ACTUALLY FEELS LIKE A REAL DECISION! (Is swapping endings allowed?)

I really hope this is the start of a new trend in the storytelling. this right here is a winning formula. Glad I payed the extra fate.
edited by Addis Rook on 12/24/2016
+3 link
ValentinV
ValentinV

12/24/2016
I'm only through my first class but so far I found the story absolutely delightful, just the school part is entertaining and then actually probing for secrets...

My first class included
[spoiler] the Anarchist, and when I saw the insight he got me into the Shadow I was like "oh... this is... unexpected". And since I just did The Gift I could imagine my character's and the Enchanting Princess' eye meet.[/spoiler]

Can't wait to dive back in when my actions recharge.
edited by SleepingD on 12/24/2016
+2 link
Hattington
Hattington

12/24/2016
Mint Humbugs wrote:
So is the Foreign Officer Face or Teeth?

I am slightly confused.

I believe she is Teeth given her mannerisms, given her mannerisms. The Face aren't cannibals, for all their other faults.

Incidentally, I must say-at first I thought all the available choices for resolving the Shadow were rather foreboding. I was badly tempted to go back and send her to Jenny's just for the lulz, and I mostly decided upon the Zailor's gift as a compromise between other options.

It exceeded all expectations by a wide margin.

[spoiler] D--ndest way to receive a Judgement's Egg. Now I want to go exploring the waters near Adam's Way for more.[/spoiler]

• edited by Hattington on 12/24/2016

--
    The Dawnburnt Vake-Rider: https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Hattington
  • +2 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

12/24/2016
    My ending was a result of smuggling the Shadow to the parlour of virtue on the third day. Then at the end of the fourth day, I tried to make her come out of her mother's shadow and be her own person.
    I am not certain I understood everything that went on in the story but I still loved it.

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
    +2 link
    Silverias
    Silverias

12/24/2016
    I'm having a bit of trouble deciding on the last decision. Ignoring the fact that my character is pro-masters, I'm having trouble picking out the implications of each decision.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Silverias

Stop by and say hello, I'm a correspondent if you need someone to teach your kids.
    +2 link
    Chris Gardiner
    Chris Gardiner
    Administrator

12/23/2016
    Omega8520 wrote:
    Something that might not be a bug, but is interesting to note.

It was indeed a bug - we have squished!
    +2 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

12/23/2016
    There are so many potential ending options that I am paralyzed by indecision.

--
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    +2 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

12/23/2016
    The storylette is always in ladybones road. If you ran through it once you have to do something with the empress' shadow first.

The other two difficult student options are from: the other ending to the gift, and lost in reflections.

Also there is a 50% option for revs, great game, urchins, and bohemians. Its a very nice place.
    edited by suinicide on 12/23/2016
    edited by suinicide on 12/23/2016

--
    +2 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

12/23/2016
    On a less spoilery note, this story is well written and mechanically great. Thank you!

--
    +2 link
    PSGarak
    PSGarak

1/3/2017
    TheD3rp wrote:
    So does Germany not exist (anymore?) in the FL universe? I noticed that Germany itself is never mentioned, and instead all references are to Prussia.

The country of Germany did not yet exist when London fell. The area that is modern Germany was at the time a bunch of independent sovereign states (such as Prussia) that had similar-ish customs and languages. The process of Unification had begun, but the Fall of London may have slowed, stopped, or reversed that process. Someone more knowledgeable than I about history could perhaps weigh in with more details.

Further reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unification_of_Germany
    edited by PSGarak on 1/3/2017

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/PSGarak
    +2 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

1/2/2017
    I'm tempted to reset The Frequently Deceased and see if anything would be different there.

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
    +2 link
    Harlocke
    Harlocke

3/31/2017
    Even when you don't earn a favor, it still fully refreshes your deck, which gives you 6 or 10 chances to draw a favor granting card. Not to mention that it also pays you.

--
    I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
    +2 link
    Pnakotic
    Pnakotic

12/25/2016
    Jules Asimov wrote:
    [spoiler]In the final options, there is a requirement called a stocking or something, and that requirement locks the option to get the shadow to come the school to be taught. How does one get this stocking?[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Take her to see Jenny.[/spoiler]
    edited by Pnakotic on 12/25/2016

--
    J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
    +2 link
    Felicity Anne Stratford
    Felicity Anne Stratford

12/27/2016
    I would like to echo everyone's enjoyment of this ES! I played The Gift beforehand so that I would have some background, and it really did help me to make the final decision. At the beginning, I was completely lost and not sure at all what I was doing, but as I learned more then it became clear. I loved the character interactions and all the information scattered throughout.

My only (very small) nit is the preponderance of randomness in the school. I think that I understand why things are random here so that it is not crazy good to do this over and over, but I tend to avoid all the random aspects of the game that I can. (Which means that I over prepare for all challenges despite the fact that it is not generally held to be efficient). But that is my thing and for this story it was easy enough to let go and just enjoy the plot.

I ended up helping her reconcile with her son, for that seemed the best choice to my character Felicity. No super rare unique item at the end, but I am completely fine with that!

Thanks for the fun! My Exceptional Friendship runs out today and I would have already subscribed anew if I could. smile

Becca

--
    Looking for a roleplay partner with potential for Simone and maybe for Felicity. All genders considered.

Felicity Anne Stratford is a Correspondent and delighted to visit Orphanages or Salons or be interviewed! Scientific correspondence greatly appreciated. Please no Seeking or Photographer.

Simone Beaufort is a Midnighter and pleased to visit Orphanages or Salons or be interviewed! No Seeking or Photographer.
    +2 link
    Akernis
    Akernis

12/25/2016
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Akernis wrote:

My sole regret being that after making very sure not to pick the Anarchist's final choice I still got those damn seven words that I hate to see more than any in Fallen London
    "You have advanced the Liberation of Night."
    Oh well, I will just have to replay the story when available again.

How'd that happen?

[spoiler]I revealed the Surface Visitor to be a spy for the Kaiser. Which eventually led to the Shadow making a political coup to become the new regent. Which somehow help the Liberation of Night, despite there being no indication I have seen that helping the Shadow would be part of the revolutionaries' scheme.[/spoiler]
    edited by Akernis on 12/25/2016

--
    Vena's profile - http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Akernis
    +2 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

12/25/2016
    dov wrote:

My question was: How much of an impact is there in the new The Empress' Shadow story by having played Lost in Reflection to its end? I'm trying to figure out if it's worth it to complete Lost in Reflection before playing The Empress' Shadow.

Minimal.

It is just "Oh I have an inkling of Paris with July so I can ask the Surface Visitor about it instead of giving her an exam", which, like other ES bonus option, is just swapping a 50% chance of Favours for guaranteed minor material gains.

You do need July with her mirror, though. Storywise, it give you some updates on Paris but it doesn't unlock or impact anything.

Edit: Additionally, the Surface Visitor's "secret" is mandatory and you cannot miss it - as you always need the Officer and the Visitor for the third batch of students.
    edited by Estelle Knoht on 12/25/2016

--
    Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
    I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
    +2 link
    Gonen
    Gonen

12/25/2016
    We have a bit of confusion here, don't we?
    The Foreign Officer both sings (Face) and stocks candle for a midnight snack (Teeth). Did I get that right?

Also, never quite understood why the Teeth are Teeth and not Face... You know... because of the SPOILER etc. (Yes, that part of the Foreign Office is Fate Locked. So use the proper cutlery when discussing this).
    edited by Gonen on 12/25/2016

--
    The Ashen Anesthesiologist - Paramount Londoner

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

The long journey to eccentricity:
    On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

12/25/2016
    Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
    Pnakotic wrote:
    Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
    Unmasking the Visitor's effect on the LoN is somewhat understandable, but I remain compounded by how, exactly, the Empress' Shadow taking control of the Observatory advances the LoN. I see no hints of revolutionary overtones, and I doubt that the Shadow is so bad at managing an Observatory as to further its enemies' cause.
    I originally picked that ending because of my interest in the Observatory & the Kaiser's astronomical shenanigans anyways, and am kinda disappointed that this choice for some obscure and mysterious reason furthers the LoN.

Consider what you learned from the surface visitor. It's likely an "enemy of my enemy's friend" kind of situation.

That really doesn't make sense.The Shadow chooses to align herself with the Kaiser & his Observatory in this ending, and it is even stated that Berlin is resisting Revolutionary influence.
    Patience wrote:

There is literally nothing that can further the LoN coming from the Shadow and Berlin in this particular ending.

Revolutionary and British Influences suppressed? Didn't a British Empress-Dowager, with the help of a certain British finishing school and the British Foreign Office, just topple the intensely anti-British Kaiser? Those headlines are clearly propaganda, a British aligned coup portraying itself as anti-British (which I suppose it is if by Britain you really mean the Masters and the Royal Family). So, about those Revolutionary influences...

--
    +1 link
    Vavakx Nonexus
    Vavakx Nonexus

12/25/2016
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Vavakx Nonexus wrote:
    Pnakotic wrote:
    Vavakx Nonexus wrote:

Patience wrote:

Revolutionary and British Influences suppressed? Didn't a British Empress-Dowager, with the help of a certain British finishing school and the British Foreign Office, just topple the intensely anti-British Kaiser? Those headlines are clearly propaganda, a British aligned coup portraying itself as anti-British (which I suppose it is if by Britain you really mean the Masters and the Royal Family). So, about those Revolutionary influences...

Topple isn't the word I'd use. The game refers to this ending as 'equipping the Empress' Shadow to buy back her son's favour'. It is fairly clear that the Kaiser still remains on top, and the Shadow has only gained enough power to take a foothold in her son's court, not take over the entire country as in another ending.

--
    Amets Estibariz, the Moulting Eidolon: Cradled by a sun all their own.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. A Clarity In The Darkness.

Charlotte and the Caretaker: A family?
    +1 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

12/26/2016
    Gonen wrote:
    We have a bit of confusion here, don't we?
    The Foreign Officer both sings (Face) and stocks candle for a midnight snack (Teeth). Did I get that right?

She took candles, but I'm not sure she meant to eat them herself - candles can be used as currency, and for spies in proximity to the Teeth I expect they'd be more valuable than normal. And there is a mention of unidentifiable meat in another result, if the Officer is present.

--

+1 link
    Barse
    Barse

12/26/2016
    Yes, it's possible to finish LiR without that - you must have chosen not to hep July/to smash her mirror without dreaming of the future (I can't recall the specifics at this time, but it's certainly a possibility!).

--
    +1 link
    Harlocke
    Harlocke

12/27/2016
    Pitying the shadow, but not wishing to doom Berlin to the Neath, I used the zailor to help the shadow reconcile with her son. For my services, I was rewarded with a [spoiler]judgement's egg.[/spoiler]

Does anyone know if the other choices also grant rare items, and if so what they are?
    edited by Harlocke on 12/27/2016

--

+1 link
    Pnakotic
    Pnakotic

12/25/2016
    Optimatum wrote:
    Anyone have echoes for showing the Generous Princess's gift to the Foreign Officer and talking to the Visitor about the future?

Opening the gift.
    The future of the surface cities.

Optimatum wrote:
    Also I noticed that an option needing the Eldest Daughter required a lower minimum value of the Frequently Deceased story quality than my option to accept her. Were there multiple options to accept her as a student depending on how that ES ended?

I believe the final story quality may have varied slightly depending [spoiler]on what you did with the letter.[/spoiler] Recruitment was likely possible only with certain endings.

--
    J. Ward Dunn, Glassman

Book of All Hours 9:99: Journey's end in lover's meeting. Progress is ascendancy.
    +1 link
    Kaigen
    Kaigen

12/23/2016
    Reshemin wrote:
    I've just started this, am idly leafing through the applications, and very reluctant to continue until I get one pressing question answered: Is there any limit on the number of students you can accept?

You can accept three students per class. Subsequent classes can have a different array of students. Quick Tip:

[spoiler]If you have only one "unsuitable" student, the deck is more forgiving and gives you opportunities to build up Credit with Sinning Jenny while advancing the term.[/spoiler]

--
    Just a simple doctor with a chess habit. Publisher of The Flit Dispatch.

"One must remember that the impossible is, alas, always possible."
    -Jacques Derrida
    +1 link
    Vavakx Nonexus
    Vavakx Nonexus

12/25/2016

--
    Amets Estibariz, the Moulting Eidolon: Cradled by a sun all their own.

Blabbing, the Hobo Everyone Knows: The One Who Pulls The Strings. A Clarity In The Darkness.

Charlotte and the Caretaker: A family?
    +1 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

12/25/2016
    The Eldest Daughter's ending completely cripple the Kaiser and that did Jack Squat for Fabulous February's cause, so I imagine it to be a bug.

--
    Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
    I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
    +1 link
    TheD3rp
    TheD3rp

1/3/2017
    PSGarak wrote:
    The country of Germany did not yet exist when London fell.

I know, I was just including the possibility that Germany was formed but then broke up again shortly afterwards. The existence of the Third French Empire would certainly suggest something like this.

--
    My character, and a friendly reminder to vote for the Captivating Princess in the 1896 London Mayoral Election.
    +1 link
    Harlocke
    Harlocke

1/4/2017
    Frequently Deceased definitely adds the most content, but I'd say Lost In Reflections is probably the most important. Without that info players might not know that much about how the masters purchase cities, which is a major part of the plot.

--

+1 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

1/4/2017
    Harlocke wrote:
    Frequently Deceased definitely adds the most content, but I'd say Lost In Reflections is probably the most important. Without that info players might not know that much about how the masters purchase cities, which is a major part of the plot.

Ahh, that's a good point. I forgot, because the story assumes you know at least a bit.

--
    +1 link
    Zack Oak
    Zack Oak

1/9/2017
    I was kinda shocked that illegitimate royalty had nothing to add to this. Other exceptional stories got some favor, but man. Of all the stories that could have used the quality to its fullest.

--
    Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
    Tumblr RP Account
    Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
    Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
    +1 link
    dov
    dov

3/30/2017
    Rasvarmo wrote:
    I suppose my complaint is: Is there any way to tilt those odds just a bit more in our favor (no pun intended)? Even 60/40 odds would make me more optimistic.

That's part of the balance. You're expected to get a Favour every second attempt *on average*, so roughly every 25 or so actions.

This is not unlike other luck-based Favours sources, e.g.:
    • Tomb-Colonists: You can get Favours by getting exiled, but hoping to draw one of the two Favours-giving cards of the deck there. You might be really lucky ad get one Favour after the other, or spend the whole day wit no Favours.
    • Docks: You can get a Favour when the Airs of London are 96-100, so 20% of the time. Again, you might get really lucky and get lots of Favours quickly, or spend lots of actions cycling the Airs of London with no results. But *on average* you can expect a Favour every 20-ish actions.

The Sinning Jenny's school carousel is just one additional path to get certain Favours. All Favours have multiple other sources. If you're using the school's carousel, it's probably because you feel that it's already better than other ways. If the luck aspect is too frustrating (which is understandable - this is why the Fidgeting Writer isn't for everyone), then you can always get your Favours via other means instead.

----
    edited by dov on 3/30/2017

--
    Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
    (Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
    +1 link
    Harlocke
    Harlocke

1/2/2017
    Teaching the eldest daughter grants a new quality, so future stories will able to tell if she's attended finishing school. Perhaps she'll show up again as an unlockable option in a future story, able to put her new skills to use again.

--

+1 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

12/23/2016
    And options in the actual story, not just the school, change their text depending on who you bring? I love this. (You don't miss anything major, mostly character building for students)

And when it disappears it will be on the fate page.

--
    +1 link
    Omega8520
    Omega8520

12/23/2016
    Something that might not be a bug, but is interesting to note. The Zailor finishing card in the school, if you have one Held in the Esteem of the Crew of the Galatea, gives you another one, so that you have two of the affiliation, and therefore can equip one and have one unequipped. I don't know whether or not this is intended behaviour, but it is kind of cool.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Omega8520
    A Correspondent of measure and restraint, not-withstanding a tendancy to rush into things.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Menacing%20Seeker
    Northwards with Noman. At least they'll have company.
    +1 link
    GeorgeEarlslight
    GeorgeEarlslight

12/20/2016
    Silverias wrote:
    Is the gift not normally available outside the holidays? The way these announcements talk it sounds like it's ONLY available then, but I know I've seen it a few times around.

The Gift is always there, the announcement mentions it due to its similarity in background context with the new story.

--
    George Earlslight, Advocate
    Available for Salon orations.
    +1 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

12/20/2016
    Last time that happened it set off an eternal winter. :p

--
    +1 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

12/20/2016
    Are we robbing the royal family? Fantastic.

--
    +1 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

12/21/2016
    The Unsinkable Governess purposefully got herself killed repeatedly to get a fancy position, then vanished from that family's lives forever. No violence, but that's iniquity of a sort.

--

+1 link
    Jolanda Swan
    Jolanda Swan

12/23/2016
    This was probably the exceptional/premium story I liked best in Fallen London. The characters and the writing were immersive and beautiful. The world beyond London, intriguing. The Parlour of Virtue was beguiling. The finishing school is a very welcome alternative to the usual carousels thanks to the unlimited draw mechanics, previous choices matter and finally, here is an (admittedly hard) way to grind Tomb-Colonies favors.
    I have echoed my ending, if someone else has echoed theirs I will be happy to read.

--
    Lover of all things beautiful, secret admirer of ugly truths, fond of the Parabola Sun... and always delighted to role play.
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/Jolanda%20Swan
    +1 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

12/24/2016
    Akernis wrote:
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    Alright, I am very confused by a bit of lore I just picked up!

About mirrors:

*snip*

[spoiler]I don't know but there must be something to it, since when you get the Home Comfort from Mr. Mirrors it goes out of its way to show how it has clipped every single mirror in its possession, except the one it gives you. Chipping could, for some reason, have another effect on a mirror than simply breaking it apart.[/spoiler]
    edited by Akernis on 12/24/2016

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/MidnightVoyager?fromEchoId=10449792

Huh, you're right. That's deeply strange, considering Varchas. I mean, what is removing a corner of a mirror but breaking it very slightly? And it's on the -edge- of all of them.

--
    +1 link
    Jel
    Jel

12/24/2016
    The story was super cool! I regret some of my actions, but it was great to think about the last choice and decide what I wanted to do. Very good writing as well!

If anyone wants to read my ending, I have everything in my Journal.
    edited by Jel on 12/24/2016

--
    The Extravagant Wordsmith (Jel) accepts all social actions. Alert me before snubbing me.

The Melancholic Shadow accepts all social actions.
    +1 link
    mnemosius
    mnemosius

12/24/2016
    What a delicious story. I chose perhaps one of the darker options, if anyone wants to see the result.

--
    The pursuit of purple is my penultimate purpose. I'm also happy to be a Persuasive Patron for any who might need one!
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Diosthenes

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/nathaniel%20grayborne - so very gone. Going NORTH does that to you.
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

12/24/2016
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Huh, I did the final exams with the Surface Visitor twice and somehow I lost my "Finished" quality with her. Possibly because I did the special one first?

Yep, I regained my suspicions of the Surface Visitor when I replayed it and picked the second option. If you pick option 2 and then pick option 1 later you'll lose your suspicions.

--
    +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

12/24/2016
    Silverias wrote:
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Anything in particular?

Not sure yet, It just intuitively felt that way. I intend to check it as I go through my next carousel on it. It felt like selecting your students took too many actions, but I'm also super tired and may just be mistaken.

Also keep in mind that the more troublesome the class, the more actions it takes to get them through the syllabus, so the main story is a (fun) action sink by design.

I'm taking my time with this story so I'll keep track when I next select a class.
    edited by Anne Auclair on 12/24/2016

--
    +1 link
    Manu Traveler
    Manu Traveler

12/24/2016
    Kaigen wrote:
    Does anyone have an echo of the result from influencing the Shadow in favour of her son, or allowing the Anarchist to influence her?

I allowed the anarchist to influence her and you can see the echo on the mantelpiece of my first character.
    [spoiler]I had him, the visitor from the surface and the agent form the Foreign Office, and I felt that, of the three options, causing revolutionary chaos on the surface was probably the safest to help keep London from being pancaked by a possible fall of Berlin. Plus I have a bit of a soft spot for German revolutionaries.[/spoiler]
    edited by Manu Traveler on 12/24/2016

--
    Manu Traveler, the inquisitive professor
    Red Christine, the conflicted revolutionary
    Tyler Glen, God's mad disciple - GONE NORTH
    A Morel, the unrepentant heartbreaker
    Omphale the Magnificent, the titanic crossdresser
    +1 link
    Barse
    Barse

12/24/2016
    3 times, and then you may defer the decision for at least one more student cycle if you wish.
    edited by Barselaar on 12/24/2016

--
    +1 link
    Optimatum
    Optimatum

12/25/2016
    Same options.

--

+1 link