Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

A New Festive Tale Available for Fate! Messages in this topic - RSS

Wiwo
Wiwo

1/13/2017
maleclypse wrote:
Shadowcthuhlu wrote:
I got the sinning Jenny ending, echoed in my journal. (I personally was very happy with that ending.)

Hey I can't remember how to fix the journals for people with ~ in them?

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Dirae%20Erinyes

--
Wiwo. Almost certainly not a squid in a cunningly tailored suit. Surely.

Care for some cider? Here's how to ask me for some. Strange pranks strongly preferred.

Care to pet a Heptagoat? Too bad. It doesn't do anything (probably).

I'm a Correspondent and would be delighted to lecture at your orphanage.
0 link
Nigel Overstreet
Nigel Overstreet

1/16/2017
Pnakotic wrote:
Did anyone choose the Eldest Daughter as their final option? I was very tempted to see how that might turn out, though ultimately I chose the Veteran Anarchist.

I did. I received:
[spoiler]5 Direful Reflections[/spoiler]
The results are on my Mantelpiece on 01/16/95

--
The Romantic Egotist: Most Hedonistic Man in All of Fallen London
Are you or someone you know Overgoated? Please, let me know!

Cider Club
0 link
Rasvarmo
Rasvarmo

3/30/2017
First off, my apologies for resurrecting an older thread.

I bought this story as it was released, and after three months with it I have a few thoughts. Overall it is excellent, both as a part of its tie-in tales and on its own. The writing is flavorful, witty, and enjoyable, and I love seeing how London's festivals influence the classes. I also appreciate the opportunity to gain favors/connections with various factions with it, too.

However, it is this latter part which has become very frustrating. The 50/50 chance at gaining a favor at the end is... endlessly frustrating. There is a minimum of a 12-action sink into this carousel, but typically more if you need to recruit a less than ideal student. I do not advocate a "pay to win" model to gain favors, but - geez, it feels like such a waste of my time and my actions to go through this whole carousel and end up with nothing after two, three, four, even five rounds through it.

I suppose my complaint is: Is there any way to tilt those odds just a bit more in our favor (no pun intended)? Even 60/40 odds would make me more optimistic.

--
Rasvarmo - a lady of distinction and ambition. Open to social exchanges.

"No records. No writings. Words can be treacherous. If a story is important, it will be remembered."
0 link
dov
dov

3/30/2017
Rasvarmo wrote:
I suppose my complaint is: Is there any way to tilt those odds just a bit more in our favor (no pun intended)? Even 60/40 odds would make me more optimistic.

That's part of the balance. You're expected to get a Favour every second attempt *on average*, so roughly every 25 or so actions.

This is not unlike other luck-based Favours sources, e.g.:
  • Tomb-Colonists: You can get Favours by getting exiled, but hoping to draw one of the two Favours-giving cards of the deck there. You might be really lucky ad get one Favour after the other, or spend the whole day wit no Favours.
  • Docks: You can get a Favour when the Airs of London are 96-100, so 20% of the time. Again, you might get really lucky and get lots of Favours quickly, or spend lots of actions cycling the Airs of London with no results. But *on average* you can expect a Favour every 20-ish actions.

The Sinning Jenny's school carousel is just one additional path to get certain Favours. All Favours have multiple other sources. If you're using the school's carousel, it's probably because you feel that it's already better than other ways. If the luck aspect is too frustrating (which is understandable - this is why the Fidgeting Writer isn't for everyone), then you can always get your Favours via other means instead.

----
edited by dov on 3/30/2017

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Rasvarmo
Rasvarmo

3/30/2017
dov wrote:
That's part of the balance. You're expected to get a Favour every second attempt *on average*, so roughly every 25 or so actions.
I appreciate your response here. I suppose I mostly just wanted to vent after a round of bad luck with the carousal (5 times, yeesh). But you're right - on average, the numbers do seem to line up with other sources. I wonder if, when the connected -> renown conversion happens for the other factions, if the school will give favors for those factions as well. If so then wow, the purchase of this story gets even better.

--
Rasvarmo - a lady of distinction and ambition. Open to social exchanges.

"No records. No writings. Words can be treacherous. If a story is important, it will be remembered."
0 link
Harlocke
Harlocke

3/31/2017
Even when you don't earn a favor, it still fully refreshes your deck, which gives you 6 or 10 chances to draw a favor granting card. Not to mention that it also pays you.

--
I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
+2 link
Julius de Poisson
Julius de Poisson

1/21/2018
Loving this story so much! Can anyone tell me how I'd be able to turn the Shadow against Mr Wines? I don't seem to ever have that option enabled.

--
Julius de Poisson - Paramount Presence. Midnighter. Poet Laureate. Scholar. A Neathy Renaissance man.

Lady Dziet Embless Sma - Correspondent. Vake Vanquisher. Duellist.
0 link