Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

FotZF: Strange Catch Explainer (read OP) Messages in this topic - RSS

Zoe DeGeest
Zoe DeGeest

8/23/2016
squiggle wrote:
For the lucky who got everything with time to spare and are late game, do any of the paths have enough earnings or rare items to justify continued fishing/grinding? (And do any of these paths have enough earnings to consider sacrificing/skipping the lower value treasures for those of us not so lucky?)

It can't possibly be better than boxgrind in raw echoes.

--
Zoe DeGeest, your humble churchgoing grocer, now respectable.
0 link
xKiv
xKiv

8/24/2016
Zoe DeGeest wrote:
squiggle wrote:
For the lucky who got everything with time to spare and are late game, do any of the paths have enough earnings or rare items to justify continued fishing/grinding? (And do any of these paths have enough earnings to consider sacrificing/skipping the lower value treasures for those of us not so lucky?)

It can't possibly be better than boxgrind in raw echoes.

Boat: 11 actions to get catch 5; maybe 12 actions to get catch 6?
Then, say, 3 actions on average until you can trade catch for rewards (and wipe one of two the menaces that have been building)
yields (at upper bound of wiki-recorded range) 14 echoes worth of stuff
or 23 echoes worth of stuff and *increased* nightmares

Pretend that if you alternate the three rewards in a cycle you *just* manage your menaces. Then it's (2*14+23)/(3*14)=1.214 epa

Significantly worse than boxgrind, *and* more unreliable, *and* more involved-clicky.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
0 link
squiggle
squiggle

8/24/2016
Thanks. Glad to know I'm not missing out. Incidentally, my first festival, I was pretty weak. Conversations here led me to do a bunch of stat grinding after the festival. I think it may have been Shadowy. I think you can grind Shadowy without any penalty there.
0 link
Parelle
Parelle

8/25/2016
For anyone with time to spare who needs to lower quirks for the low catches: you can decrease Ruthless and Heartless for a Magnanimous increase and a Docks Favour at the end of the regular Mutton Island carousel (the non seasonal one) by saving Zailors.

--
Parelle, Lady Joseph Marlen. The Singular Librarian. A Midnighter, a Player of the Marvelous.
pages from a dusty bookshop: a badly updated FL changelog | Useful Guidance and Explanations
+5 link
Parelle
Parelle

8/25/2016
xKiv wrote:

Boat: 11 actions to get catch 5; maybe 12 actions to get catch 6?
Then, say, 3 actions on average until you can trade catch for rewards (and wipe one of two the menaces that have been building)
yields (at upper bound of wiki-recorded range) 14 echoes worth of stuff
or 23 echoes worth of stuff and *increased* nightmares

Pretend that if you alternate the three rewards in a cycle you *just* manage your menaces. Then it's (2*14+23)/(3*14)=1.214 epa

Significantly worse than boxgrind, *and* more unreliable, *and* more involved-clicky.

Well, there's also the goods you usually gain when you cycle Airs: am I right in saying those are worth between 1-2 each time, depending what you pick - the Curate's table: 1.5; Chef: 2, One of the others was 1.95, and the rare success on listening to the Drownies is worth up to 3 echos (25 Romantic Notions + zee story).

--
Parelle, Lady Joseph Marlen. The Singular Librarian. A Midnighter, a Player of the Marvelous.
pages from a dusty bookshop: a badly updated FL changelog | Useful Guidance and Explanations
0 link
lady ciel
lady ciel

8/26/2016
I have got all the rewards and am in London but I am going back to the festival after I get my MW high enough to protect my Notability as I like the unpredictability of it all.

Is it really worth it financially? ... probably not as the epa isn't on a par with some London based activities but for anyone who hasn't got as far as the Affair of the Box or any of the other most profitable actions it isn't too bad. Fishing trips that only use quirks to get a level 5 catch (6 if you use the final quirk adjusting option) can give good rewards. If you need to spend items while fishing it is less profitable.

If you are still after the lower rewards it is definitely worth continuing to give catches to the lady. There are 12.5 echo rare successes for a Forgotten Dossier (Blackmail material instead of the Passphrases) and the fabrics (Puzzle Damask instead of the whisper silk). I haven't discovered if there are similar rewards for other Cove values.

If you give your catch to the well you get between 0-2 Extraordinary Implications. As a Seeker I also like getting the Appalling Secrets.

Then there are the other items you can get while cycling Airs or reducing menaces and it all adds up. Plus you are probably getting some things that aren't as common in London (I'm not 100% certain about that though)

--
ciel

Sorry RL means I am not a very active player at the moment. No social actions unless you are prepared to wait and definitely no sparring or other mult-action things.

No Calling Cards or boxed cats please. Will take dupes on the affluent photographers. Other social invitations welcome. Parabolan Kittens usually available, send me an in-game social action saying you want one and I will get one to you as soon as possible.

storynexus name - reveurciel
0 link
xKiv
xKiv

8/26/2016
Parelle wrote:

Well, there's also the goods you usually gain when you cycle Airs: am I right in saying those are worth between 1-2 each time, depending what you pick - the Curate's table: 1.5; Chef: 2, One of the others was 1.95, and the rare success on listening to the Drownies is worth up to 3 echos (25 Romantic Notions + zee story).

Since I assumed 3 actions to get to the cash-in, this would increase the epa by ... handwave ... around 2*2/14, to 1.214+0.286=1.5, which still fails to impress

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
0 link
Jeremy Avalon
Jeremy Avalon

8/21/2017
Slightly disappointed that you can't pay Fate to get Sinning Jenny's Wimple, since that is indeed an "item from previous years". But oh well!

• edited by Jeremy Avalon on 8/21/2017

--
    The Licentious Ludologist, a delightful gentleman of indiscriminate and eternal appetites.

My Guide to Notability, Making Waves, and BDR

Rigor Mortis, a web comic about three little undead girls and their search for friendship and decent Wi-Fi in Hell. If you like the more comedic and humane side of FL, you might like it.
  • 0 link
    Jermaine Vendredi
    Jermaine Vendredi

8/24/2017
    Finally managed to acquire the knife. Low numbers are surprisingly hard to achieve. Amusingly, it actually reduces Dangerous....
    edited by Jermaine Vendredi on 8/24/2017

--
    No plant battles, please.
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jermion
    +1 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

8/24/2017
    Jermaine Vendredi wrote:
    Low numbers are surprisingly hard to achieve

Indeed. I think I ended up just paying the 5 Fate by the end of the festival last year, because the alternative was me going insane.

--
    Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
    For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
    0 link
    Ed Rolison
    Ed Rolison

8/23/2018
    A comment on EpA though - it certainly looks like fishing for echoes isn't the way to go, but instead:

- Empty Chair (2.5E)
    - The Mayor (2.5E)
    - Interact with Drownies (listen or dance) 50-250p of items and 1-2cp of menace. (with relevant skill of 200)

And only go fishing when you're needing to reset your menaces - 11 actions to fish, and then 1 to cash in at about 10E average - and resetting most of your nightmares or wounds, even with not much 'strange catch' level. (Lower end is 4x strange catch, so with 5 SC you'll be losing 20 CP of nightmares, and that's 0-6 gone, and possibly more)

I can't quite figure out the EpA, because it depends rather on the roll frequency. But 2/3rds of the time the 2.5E mayor options are available, so of 100 actions you'd be:

- 165E from mayor (2.5EpA)
    - 34 * 1.5E average which would accumulate an average of 51CP of wounds|nightmares.
    - Which would need on average 2 fishing trips to 'reset' for an additional 12 actions each. (and 10E each).

So overall - 236E for 124 actions - which I think makes it around 1.9EpA. (Anyone care to correct my numbers?)
    edited by Ed Rolison on 8/23/2018
    0 link
    Dudebro Pyro
    Dudebro Pyro

8/23/2018
    In the other thread the calculations came out to about 1.94EPA, but that was by going to London and using social actions to remove menaces (10 actions zailing, accept 6 invites per menace, gain 0 echoes). So about 1.9-1.95EPA seems to be about right for the entire thing - which I believe is better than anything else unless you have access to court and upwards of 600-1000E upfront.

Definitely a fantastic way for newer characters to deck themselves out in full bazaar gear and build up a nice cash fund during the couple of weeks the event is running, especially since this one in particular is really easy to "complete" early on leaving a lot of time free for grinding.
    edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/23/2018

--
    Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
    For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
    0 link
    mp
    mp

28 days ago
    Based on the data collected so far, I'm guessing that it picks a random even number between (Catch Level)*2 and (Catch Level)*4. It was probably done this way to avoid the rounding issues that caused certain values to be much more likely than others.

EDIT: another way of looking at it, is that it uses the exact same formula, just with a *4 added at the end
    edited by mp on 8/19/2019

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/mp
    0 link
    MrCandles
    MrCandles

27 days ago
    phryne wrote:
    CAUTION - 2019 WORK IN PROGRESS!
    • Picking... 26-28: A Semi-Automated Mary Lloyd (Transport, D+4, Biz+3)
    • Picking... 22+: An Anonymous White Mask, Zee-Stained and Mildewy (Hat, S+6 Dre+2)
    • Picking... 18-20: A Nuncian Pocket Watch (Weapon, S+6, Res+2)
    Your Strange Catch value is - randomly(?) - converted into a quality called "Picking through the Wreckers' Cove", so you'll never know which rewards will be available to you before entering the Cove.

previous years' equipment, still available (only?) for Fate:
    • 20 Fate: Pre-Emptive Guinea-Pig (Weapon, D+7 W+6)
    • 15 Fate: 'For Your Own Good' Compass (Weapon, W+6 S+4 D-1)
    • 15 Fate: Bloodstained Eolith (Weapon, W+5 D+4 P-1)
    • 15 Fate: A Submerged Rector (Companion, P+7 W+6)
    • 10 Fate: Consignment of Scintillack Snuff (Weapon, D+5 P+3 S-1)
    • 10 Fate: Mutersalt (Weapon, D+3 S+2 W-1)
    • 10 Fate: A Cured Jillyfleur Cloak (Clothing, D+6 W+4 P-1)
    • 10 Fate: Wrecking Boots (Boots, S+6 D+4 P-1)
    • 5 Fate: Scrimshander Carving Knife (Weapon, W+3 P+2 D-1)
    • 5 Fate: A Faceted Decanter of Drownie Effluvia (Weapon, S+5 W+3 D-1)

Legend:
    D=Dangerous, P=Persuasive, S=Shadowy, W=Watchful
    Biz=Bizarre, Dre=Dreaded, Res=Respectable
    ---
    edited by phryne on 8/19/2019

Rector can be achieved without Fate. I not buy this in last year and see in current when have 30 cove.
  • 0 link
    phryne
    phryne

27 days ago
    Thanks to mp and MrCandles and the contributors to the wikia smile I've further amended my post, Fate and Non-Fate items should be correctly displayed now.
    edited by phryne on 8/20/2019

--
    Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown Guide
    Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
    0 link
    fafer.forums
    fafer.forums

27 days ago
    Just now, with SC 6, i got Picking 22.
    How to raise SC beyond 6? (with all 9 successfull checks, i got it to 6 only).

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Fafer
    0 link
    phryne
    phryne

27 days ago
    fafer.forums wrote:
    Just now, with SC 6, i got Picking 22.
    How to raise SC beyond 6? (with all 9 successfull checks, i got it to 6 only).

You need to use Cartography items (Zee-Ztories and Maps). They give more Running Battle than the Quirk checks.

--
    +1 link
    silurica
    silurica

27 days ago
    phryne wrote:
    Am I correct in assuming that all previous years' items are now only available for Fate?

False, fortunately. The previous set of items is still around (I've seen the carving knife, boots, and rector). You can see both item from the previous set and the new one at the same time if you're missing them both.

--
    Meika Osborne, the Reckless Researcher
    Leonard West, the Scarlet Informant
    0 link
    phryne
    phryne

27 days ago
    silurica wrote:
    phryne wrote:
    Am I correct in assuming that all previous years' items are now only available for Fate?

False, fortunately. The previous set of items is still around (I've seen the carving knife, boots, and rector). You can see both item from the previous set and the new one at the same time if you're missing them both.

Thanks, I've just been amending my post smile
    The reason I was confused last night was that I couldn't see any of the old items - with or without Fate - because I was playing on an account that already has them all Big Grin

--
    0 link
    MrCandles
    MrCandles

27 days ago
    phryne wrote:
    silurica wrote:
    phryne wrote:

Thanks, I've just been amending my post smile
    The reason I was confused last night was that I couldn't see any of the old items - with or without Fate - because I was playing on an account that already has them all Big Grin

I will test by alt with small quirks: if FBG back all older items, it is really cool!
  • 0 link