Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

A Detailed Election Poll [Please read explainer] Messages in this topic - RSS

What is your current position in regards to the coming Mayoral election?

Strongly supportive of the Bishop of Southwark.:14
Moderately supportive of the Bishop of Southwark.:13
Mildly supportive of the Bishop of Southwark.:2
Strongly supportive of the Jovial Contrarian.:14
Moderately supportive of the Jovial Contrarian.:13
Mildly supportive of the Jovial Contrarian.:2
Strongly supportive of Sinning Jenny.:24
Moderately supportive of Sinning Jenny.:22
Mildly supportive of Sinning Jenny.:4
Going to support more than one candidate.:4
Strongly opposed to all of them.:0
Mildly opposed to all of them.:5
Undecided.:21
The Name! The NAME!! THE NAME!!!:17
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/18/2016
With this poll we hope to acquire a better idea of how much support each candidate has.

Terms explained

Strongly supportive means you've already decided, you're not going to change your mind, and you're going to do everything you can to see that they win in terms of actions and materials.

Moderately supportive means you plan on supporting them, but you don't plan on going all out in terms of actions or materials, and there's the possibility you might change your mind.

Mildly supportive means you're leaning towards this candidate or don't really plan to spend many actions or materials supporting them.

If you plan on supporting more than one candidate, pick option 10 and post which candidates you'll be supporting and to what degree.

'Strong opposition to all of them' means you refuse to support any of them on principle.

'Mild opposition to all of them' means you're looking for the lesser of three evils. You're still trying to figure out who to vote against, in other words.

Undecided means you genuinely don't know at this point who you are going to be supporting. That, or you want to hear more from the candidates themselves before making your final decision.

Pick option 14 if you're planning to sit out the election entirely in order to focus on the new Mr Eaten content.

Negative Partisanship Poll

To get a better idea of the electoral landscape I've devised a poll on negative voting - i.e., voting against a candidate rather than for a candidate.
edited by Anne Auclair on 6/20/2016

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+7 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

6/18/2016
My friends, my friends, my friends. Sinning Jenny? A Master's agent. If you were horses confronted by an open gate, would you turn around and ask for the stable boy to be put in charge? If you might win a revolution, would you place another monarch on the throne?† I cannot deny her supporters' passion — though I question in which room it belongs — but if this is to be the result, you may as well cancel the election. It shall have no appreciable effect.

†Yes, you clever heckler, go ahead and convince London to emulate the French.

--
Excessive Corpse & Tender to Irreal Ravens

Lover of Flawed Souls

And with especial pride, Worst Screwup of the Decade!
+5 link
An Individual
An Individual

6/18/2016
TheThirdPolice wrote:
My friends, my friends, my friends. Sinning Jenny? A Master's agent. If you were horses confronted by an open gate, would you turn around and ask for the stable boy to be put in charge? If you might win a revolution, would you place another monarch on the throne?† I cannot deny her supporters' passion — though I question in which room it belongs — but if this is to be the result, you may as well cancel the election. It shall have no appreciable effect.

†Yes, you clever heckler, go ahead and convince London to emulate the French.

I'm just hoping she replaces the constables with monster hunting ninja nuns.

--
An Individual's Profile
The RNG giveth and the RNG taketh away.
Goat Farming or Cider Brewing? This browser extension may help.
Want a Cider sip? Please refer to this guide before requesting.
Scholaring the Correspondence? A Brief Guide to Courier's Footprint.
Contemplating Oblivion? First Steps on the Seeking Road.
Gone NORTH? Opened the gate? Throw your character in a well.
+6 link
malthaussen
malthaussen

6/18/2016
Jenny has the legs to win.

-- Mal

--
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Will do all socials except Loitering or Private Evenings (all my Free Evenings are accounted for), and Affluent Photographer Betrayals only, please. I am not currently accepting calling cards.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/malthaussen
+4 link
Mr Sables
Mr Sables

6/18/2016
I've gone with undecided . . .

The only one I wouldn't support would be the Bishop; I'd need to know Jenny and Jovial's campaigns to make a choice, specifically which factions they may be aligned with . . . Jenny oddly has both positive and negative ties to the masters, so would a vote for her betray or support my loyalties to them? It's hard to say. I do hope we'll get some stories or information regarding all three, so we can make an informed choice.
+1 link
Grenem
Grenem

6/18/2016
I like sinning jenny, but unless her campaign is very strong, or the jovial contrarian's is very opposed to my principles, I will not be voting for her. The bishop I refuse on principle, an unknowing servant of creatures far worse than are held in hell.

--
Married!:http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/takuza
I will accept all social actions that do not consume free evenings- and i will provide patronage to anyone who requests it, though it will be split between all requesters.
On psudeo-hiatus. Will be inactive and active and fluctuate without warning.
Grinding Favors without cards: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
0 link
Grenem
Grenem

6/18/2016
Robin Alexander wrote:
I've gone with undecided . . .

The only one I wouldn't support would be the Bishop; I'd need to know Jenny and Jovial's campaigns to make a choice, specifically which factions they may be aligned with . . . Jenny oddly has both positive and negative ties to the masters, so would a vote for her betray or support my loyalties to them? It's hard to say. I do hope we'll get some stories or information regarding all three, so we can make an informed choice.

I'd think it would support wines and oppose veils. I mean, it's not like they're a coherent faction. The vast majority of murders of Masters seem to have other master's knowingly aiding it.

--
I will accept all social actions that do not consume free evenings- and i will provide patronage to anyone who requests it, though it will be split between all requesters.
Grinding Favors without cards: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
0 link
Luminen Walker
Luminen Walker

6/18/2016
Strongly supports The Bishop of Southwark! We can win this time!, and the acceptance of hell in the city is to a degree comparable to insanity.

Mildly supports Sinning Jenny... Anyone anti-Vake has my support.

Strongly opposed to the Jovial Contrarian! The man flip flops on everything and he's likely to fuel the anarchists when he's in power!
edited by TeslaWalker on 6/18/2016

--
Cpt. Martin Walker, a sagacious and magnanimous gentleman.
For Faith! For Temperance! For a Future without Monsters!
+2 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/18/2016
Well, now we know that Seeking will actually have some impact on the election.

--
-1 link
Optimatum
Optimatum

6/18/2016
malthaussen wrote:
Jenny has the legs to win.

-- Mal

Jenny definitely has the legs to win this race.

• (I'm surprised nobody made that joke already.)

--
    Optimatum, a ruthless and merciful gentleman. No plant battles, Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.

Want a sip of Cider? Just say hi!

PM me for information enigmatic or Fated. Though the forum please, not FL itself.
  • +1 link
    thedeadlymoose
    thedeadlymoose

6/18/2016
    I'm genuinely surprised to be on a bandwagon that looks like it's winning in terms of forum-goers (who knows how the wider populace will feel?!).

I'm strongly supportive of Sinning Jenny. To be honest, it's a choice that's no choice to me. In terms of characters, I like all three; I still like Jenny best.

The Jovial Contrarian strikes me as a bit of a prick (can I say that here? should I edit my post? :P), the sort of "devil's advocate" who so commonly stonewalls real-life social activism, but he would still be fun to watch (and perhaps has hidden depths).

The Bishop is completely untrustworthy unless you share his identical priorities (INVADE HELL 2016) and I cannot help but distrust his "conservative radical" outlook, even if that has significantly less negative implications in the fictional world of Fallen London, and even though I admit I outright find the Bishop the most entertaining, to the point where I'm tempted to vote for him just to hear more of his glorious dialogue. (Rarely have I laughed so much reading a character speak.)

However, Jenny is a double-whammy for me; a lady candidate, and a positively portrayed sex worker. This is super rare in fiction. especially the latter!, and strikes home for me in a big way.

Given that she also seems very much like she's be a competent mayor in-character (she's also a hyper-qualified & competent executive of a business which is marginalized by its nature, and clearly good at politicking given her character background & motivations and concerns she must juggle), it would be hard to get me to vote against her.

Even if I personally felt 'eh' on her, I would probably still vote for her, and I'm not 'eh' on her, I like her character and I've found her ridiculously entertaining every time I've seen her (rarely) show up.

I'm of course not saying that anyone else at all should choose based upon this calculus. I'm only saying why, for me, it is no choice, in the end.

Now, put the Cat's Chiefest Claw up as a candidate, and we'll talk. (Badass awesome non-binary characters of color for the win! <3)

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Eris~Jay
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/profile/Red~Rose
    0 link
    Grenem
    Grenem

6/18/2016
    thedeadlymoose wrote:

The Jovial Contrarian strikes me as a bit of a prick (can I say that here? should I edit my post? :P), the sort of "devil's advocate" who so commonly stonewalls real-life social activism, but he would still be fun to watch (and perhaps has hidden depths).

The Bishop is completely untrustworthy unless you share his identical priorities (INVADE HELL 2016) and I cannot help but distrust his "conservative radical" outlook, even if that has significantly less negative implications in the fictional world of Fallen London, and even though I admit I outright find the Bishop the most entertaining, to the point where I'm tempted to vote for him just to hear more of his glorious dialogue. (Rarely have I laughed so much reading a character speak.)

I like the jovial contrarian because, while he's a devil's advocate, the frustrating, and fun, part is he always has a good point. Regardless of whether you indicate revolutionary or masters, he has a good argument why they shouldn't hold too much of your loyalty. He seems to be a neutral in a world where matters are complex.

I like sinning jenny, but what little i saw of her was not that interesting- She was a vibrant character, but one I didn't see enough in/of to develop an interest, and certainly not enough to feel like i know what she'd do. She had a backline role with one interaction at all, and then i never saw her again. Meanwhile the contrarian felt like a big part of the storyline he was in, and even when i disagreed with him, i'm sure i'd think he had a point, because i've never seen him truly lack one.

He's a moderate candidate, and that's something neither likely liberal jenny nor the almost-certainly conservative church can offer.

--
    +2 link
    aegisaglow
    aegisaglow

6/18/2016
    thedeadlymoose wrote:
    However, Jenny is a double-whammy for me; a lady candidate, and a positively portrayed sex worker. This is super rare in fiction. especially the latter!, and strikes home for me in a big way.

Given that she also seems very much like she's be a competent mayor in-character (she's also a hyper-qualified & competent executive of a business which is marginalized by its nature, and clearly good at politicking given her character background & motivations and concerns she must juggle), it would be hard to get me to vote against her.

This captures a lot of why I'm voting for Jenny.

I enjoy the Bishop's dialogue and character, but by that same token he doesn't exactly have the temperament for the job. I don't know the Contrarian that well, but I'm not sure about the merits of voting a Groucho Marx skit into office.
    +3 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

6/18/2016
    Grenem wrote:

He's a moderate candidate, and that's something neither likely liberal jenny nor the almost-certainly conservative church can offer.

Some might argue that the Bishop is the true radical and Jenny an anesthetizing conservative (literally).

--
    -1 link
    Gul al-Ahlaam
    Gul al-Ahlaam

6/18/2016
    The Contrarian, I think, is the kind of leader London needs in times like these, with the city plagued by radical factions of all stripes and by colorful personalities demanding all eyes on them. He's thoughtful, disciplined, and clever. He works well with complex and nuanced issues, considerers every side of every argument, and actually enjoys the endless debating and speechmaking likely required of the mayor's office. Things will probably move more slowly, if at all, with him as mayor, but considering the kinds of people who hold political influence in London, perhaps that's for the best.

• --
    The Uncanny Hierophant.
    The Delicate Princeling.
  • +6 link
    Beau Mercy
    Beau Mercy

6/18/2016
    Strongly support: the Bishop!

And really, in a world in which devils and Hell demonstrably exist, wouldn't people think again about this secularism business all the revolutionaries and radical academics are on about?

--
    Monster Hunter Beau Mercy, Friend of the Church, A Blood-Cousin to Predators, Straw-haired Tomcat
    +3 link
    MrBurnside
    MrBurnside

6/18/2016
    Gul al-Ahlaam wrote:
    The Contrarian, I think, is the kind of leader London needs in times like these, with the city plagued by radical factions of all stripes and by colorful personalities demanding all eyes on them. He's thoughtful, disciplined, and clever. He works well with complex and nuanced issues, considerers every side of every argument, and actually enjoys the endless debating and speechmaking likely required of the mayor's office. Things will probably move more slowly, if at all, with him as mayor, but considering the kinds of people who hold political influence in London, perhaps that's for the best

This is an excellent write up that neatly describes my feelings about the Contrarian. In a real world dominated by "radical factions" and "colorful personalities demanding all eyes on them," I find it hard not to support someone who can recognize, and engage with, the values of others.

In a way this is also why I like Sinning Jenny as a candidate. Her attitude towards others (as I infer from the Waltz) is one of valuing people for who they are. These aren't the same, but they share a breadth; I appreciate it.
    edited by MrBurnside on 6/19/2016
    +4 link
    Grenem
    Grenem

6/18/2016
    Anne Auclair wrote:
    Grenem wrote:

Some might argue that the Bishop is the true radical and Jenny an anesthetizing conservative (literally).

Well, yes. But regardless of how you'd correspond them to the liberal vs. conservative- (and my take is the bishop is a pre-fall conservative, jenny is a pre-fall liberal, maybe moderate, but who knows when it comes to london society now. I mean, the people in charge want to gather love stories to take to a star.) - we can rely on the contrarian to not be too tightly tied to either side. He has loose ties to all factions- he's popular enough to get invited to parties, and speaks against both masters and revolutionaries alike. He doesn't care who he offends, and he's got far less obvious main factions than the bishop. Sinning jenny is definitely my second choice, but she's in a prime position for leveraging from the church and from the masters.

--
    +3 link
    timelessparadox
    timelessparadox

6/19/2016
    The largest benefit the Contrarian has is that he will properly consider and strike down all destructive legislation he can as he is operating from a position of knowledge and skepticism. (Also he is fun at parties)

--
    They say he knows what you will do and have done long before you will.
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/timelessparadox
    Correspondent that teaches orphans how to flay minds.
    +4 link
    Grenem
    Grenem

6/19/2016
    timelessparadox wrote:
    The largest benefit the Contrarian has is that he will properly consider and strike down all destructive legislation he can as he is operating from a position of knowledge and skepticism. (Also he is fun at parties)

Pretty sure the latter is actually false. It's more that he's entertaining than fun. Usually he spends the entire time finding people to argue with, and is drives the more stiff people into fits of rage or heart attacks, while the less stiff ones just be impolite or just evade argument entirely.

But when you're not the one debating him, it's entertaining. Either they lose gracefully, giving a nice performance, or they manage to get enough of a concession from him everyone treats it as a victory, which is always a very impressive performance, or you get a really nice piece of gossip as someone loses their temper with him. And while he's not always able to display an entertaining debate, it's never his fault the debate is dull- his opponents just didn't put enough thought into it.

--
    +1 link