Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Election

A place for in-game political discussion.

Election Candidate: The Jovial Contrarian Messages in this topic - RSS

Absintheuse
Absintheuse

6/16/2016
London will have a Mayor. This week, we announce the candidates. Who will you support?
Below is news on our third and final candidate. More news on the Election will come tomorrow.

The Jovial Contrarian was last to declare. He joined the election only a day after publishing a piece denouncing the entire process as an undemocratic sham. He bears the slogan: "Master Yourself!"

“The Jovial Contrarian sits in the midst of the chaos. ‘At last, the chance to prove we are capable of self-governance is in our grasp.’ The Contrarian extends a hand.”

The Jovial Contrarian's campaign poster will be available soon, once he's finished arguing about typefaces with his printer.
+18 link
Bertrand Leonidas Poole
Bertrand Leonidas Poole

6/16/2016
Professor Sketch wrote:
But he has no colors in his poster. You can't trust a man who doesn't put colors into his poster. How is he ever supposed to keep the color of London alive? Also, no facial hair. I can't tell him and Jenny apart if one of them doesn't get facial hair.

Once again, Sketch speaks about the issues important to the common man/woman/other: Graphic Design.
+15 link
NiteBrite
NiteBrite

6/16/2016
[spoiler]The main positive point the contrarian has is he is a puppet of the revolutionaries and the calendar council. If you like the liberation of the night and want it to happen asap, then this is the candidate for you.[/spoiler]

--
I AM currently accepting calling cards.
Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
[00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
+11 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

6/16/2016
"A chicken in every well."
North-Bound MP for Mayor!

--
Irreal Raven Tender

Formerly dead, but I got better.

The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles
+11 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6/16/2016
[spoiler]"Puppet" is putting it rather strongly. He does seem to have some links to the Council. Then again, he also seems to have some links to the Masters. He could be both December and Mr Chimes, for all we know.[/spoiler]

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+9 link
Grenem
Grenem

6/16/2016
Rupho Schartenhauer wrote:
Well, that decides it: Jenny's the only sensible option! The Bishop is a madman, and the Contrarian only stands for "always disagree with everyone else". He'll never get anything done...

He'll get a lot done. Sure, half of it will be the opposite of what the bishop wants, and half of it is the opposite of what jenny wants- both still coherent, of course- but he'll find a way to bundle them all up into one neat little package.

The Jovial Contrarian, the moderate candidate!

--
Married!:http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/takuza
I will accept all social actions that do not consume free evenings- and i will provide patronage to anyone who requests it, though it will be split between all requesters.
On psudeo-hiatus. Will be inactive and active and fluctuate without warning.
Grinding Favors without cards: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
+9 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6/16/2016
absimiliard wrote:
I thought Mr. Chimes was [spoiler] a rotating position all the Masters fill at one point or another. [/spoiler]

Yeah, that's probably right. I was exaggerating to make the point that the Contrarian is deliberately enigmatic. He's a contradictory, Chestertonian character. He's mysteries all the way down.

Blaine Davidson wrote:
He's in a wheelchair? When was this revealed about him?

From a Veilgarden party:

The Jovial Contrarian... ...is looking for someone to argue with.

Take a seat next to his wheeled chair. You'd rather debate than dance any day.

--
+9 link
Professor Strix
Professor Strix

6/16/2016
I kinda want to vote on him just because he is the candidate no one will pick, and I think this is quite the point.

He might not be the best choice of mayor, but he surely will be the funniest. He is my favourite guest in the party, if only because he is sports when he looses arguments and he (almost, if you are successful) kills a man just by being annoying. It takes serious skills to kill people with debating hard.

--
The Inescapable Professor, London's Most Academic Detective. Open to consultation from Mondays to Fridays, above the Silver Binding bookshop, Veilgarden. Half the payment in advance, half after closing the case. No refunds.

"THIS SATURDAY, in MAHOGANY HALL, delight your eyes with the DARING FEATS of the DAPPER ESCAPIST. Gape at his CHARM and WIT and his CLEVER TRICKS OF ILLUSIONISM. No mirrors used."
---------
Social actions welcomed. Will take menaces if not currently grinding that one stat. Send them and cross your fingers.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Professor%20Strix
My alt loiters suspiciously if you want to:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Derek%20Davis
+9 link
John Moose
John Moose

6/16/2016
How irritating that Failbetter would give us a candidate that actually seems like he'd be good at the job. Now I'm forced to decide between voting for someone that seems to be the best candidate for the job and someone whose campaign platform is essentially "Let's supplex Satan."
+8 link
Passionario
Passionario

6/16/2016
Blaine Davidson wrote:
He's in a wheelchair? When was this revealed about him?

The Jovial Contrarian bangs on the side of his wheeled chair to emphasise his points. '..but that's exactly what I'm saying! No revolution has ever improved the lot of the people the leaders purport to represent. And even you must have noticed we're in a somewhat exotic environment. How do you think we'll fare down here without the protection of the Masters? Good God, is that the time? You must excuse me, I'm afraid. I have a party to attend...'

--
Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
Passion: Profile, Appearance
+8 link
Nigel Overstreet
Nigel Overstreet

6/16/2016
Absintheuse wrote:
‘At last, the chance to prove we are capable of self-governance is in our grasp.’
This seems both fair and democratic. And I will have no part in it!

--
The Romantic Egotist: Most Hedonistic Man in All of Fallen London
Are you or someone you know Overgoated? Please, let me know!

Cider Club
+7 link
Asclepius Unbound
Asclepius Unbound

6/16/2016
Paradoxical democracy: the thinking man's choice.

--
Alas, Asclepius Unbound is now forever beyond the reach of invitations. A successful Seeker.
+6 link
mzingalwa
mzingalwa

6/16/2016
I'm a one issue voter and that one issue is "**** hell", so I'll be voting for the bishop.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Mzingalwa
+5 link
Sir Joseph Marlen
Sir Joseph Marlen

6/16/2016
Professor Sketch wrote:
Dom Scorp wrote:
Professor Sketch wrote:
But he has no colors in his poster. You can't trust a man who doesn't put colors into his poster. How is he ever supposed to keep the color of London alive? Also, no facial hair. I can't tell him and Jenny apart if one of them doesn't get facial hair.

I take it that the lack of colours represents his moral ambiguity, and the grey morality of the Revolutionaries.

Moral ambiguity is nice and all, but what about prettiness? Didn't they ever make him color his pictures in grade school?

Probably not. He'd just keep debating with the teachers which colors would look best without actually coloring anything.

--
Sir Joseph Marlen - The Romantic Sophist
Alexus Harven - The Defiant Fatalist
Rose Reinhelm - The Respectful Revolutionary
Cappuccino - The Perfidious Spycraft

Available for any and all social actions.
+5 link
narcomanic
narcomanic

6/17/2016
mzingalwa wrote:
I'm a one issue voter and that one issue is "**** hell", so I'll be voting for the bishop.

Funnily enough, my one vote issue can be summed up with essentially the same wording, only with... slightly different emphasis. Let our votes decide!

--
Cecilia Vass, a Shattering Force available for patronage. Warning: You will get stabbed. Take it as a compliment.

Currently rallying mobs for Feducci.
+5 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

6/16/2016
The Contrarian shows up as part of the Affluent Photographer story, in the Veilgarden Party special area, and on the Revolutionaries card. It's also possible to trade with him at the market in Sunless Sea.
edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 6/16/2016

--
+4 link
Grenem
Grenem

7/7/2016
The Masked Felon wrote:
The Contrarian is a frivolous, flip-flopping buffoon. As mayor, he'd be unreliable at best.

That being said, he definitely has my vote.

I agree with the frivolous- he has a serious side, but sometimes he doesn't show it well. i agree with the flip-flopping, though you'll note he questions other beliefs, not supports his own in the one time free players see an argument.

he tries to find cracks, not build his own case. He wants better arguments, better beliefs, and the only way to get that is cut at the vulnerabilities of the inferior.

--
Married!:http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/takuza
I will accept all social actions that do not consume free evenings- and i will provide patronage to anyone who requests it, though it will be split between all requesters.
On psudeo-hiatus. Will be inactive and active and fluctuate without warning.
Grinding Favors without cards: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
+4 link
The Master
The Master

6/16/2016
Well, I guess this is the one im voting for, I don't think I know enough about sinning Jenny to really vote for her, and while I do hate Veils with all my heart, most vake hunters are fools, and they WILL die, and I also don't want a time machine that will bring us back to a war that we can't win.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lolwolfking
A very ruthless and daring doctor of the neath.

No more gift exchanges, im getting too many and I can barely hold these.
He has knowledge of a certain enigma, ask, you will get a clue.
+3 link
absimiliard
absimiliard

6/16/2016
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
Yeah, that's probably right. I was exaggerating to make the point that the Contrarian is deliberately enigmatic. He's a contradictory, Chestertonian character. He's mysteries all the way down.

He is one of my favorite secondary characters. I have many, so he's far from alone. But I deeply love that ability to take both sides of a thing. As I have been known to say "I prefer AND to OR", and the Contrarian ANDs so very well, and quickly, in conversation. It's clear he believes his points when arguing, but can reverse them and argue just as passionately against them. His own position therefor remains unknown -- or has never existed. As you say, mysterious, enigmatic, mysteries all the way down.

I am Curious, first and foremost -- how could I resist that.

Yet, I'll vote against him. Even he can not say which positions he will take, and I fear that Mastering Himself is the farthest thing possible -- he is flux and evolution, constant and unceasing -- the only that never changes is how fast he changes position.

Putting such an uncontrolled, Un-Mastered, individual in power would be foolishness. I should prefer the Black-Shirted Radical to him -- at least we agree on several important points.

So, no, I can not vote for the Jovial Contrarian -- because I love him, and understand him, for cats are mercurial as well.

--
"Because, Parabola!" -- the Curious Captain
Eating nightmares from friends -- and I'm easy to befriend.
Absimiliard: the Black Rose of Wolfstack Docks
+3 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

6/16/2016
Well, that decides it: Jenny's the only sensible option! The Bishop is a madman, and the Contrarian only stands for "always disagree with everyone else". He'll never get anything done...

--
Old hand, still occasionally playing.
+3 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

6/19/2016
I'd prefer him in Parliament for Prime Minister Question Time, but I welcome his wit in any office.

--
Irreal Raven Tender

Formerly dead, but I got better.

The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles
+3 link
timelessparadox
timelessparadox

6/20/2016
Careful, calculated, and confident action is what we need in out mayor. Contrarian for Mayor!

--
They say he knows what you will do and have done long before you will.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/timelessparadox
Correspondent that teaches orphans how to flay minds.
+3 link
The Master
The Master

6/16/2016
Beau Mercy wrote:
Revolutionaries are all the same—they spout slogans about freedom, but freedom to what? To be overrun by the forces of Hell? Vote for the Bishop!

I think the chances that Hell will attack us are much higher if someone invades them first.

--

+3 link
knguy
knguy

6/17/2016
I bet the Contrarian would be real fun at the University. If he hasn't been kicked out already. But if that's the case he can just use those mayoral powers to continue infuriating the academics once again.

--
"Knguy" - a rich, well connected, and steadfast gentleman. Terribly indulgent. Cunningly charming. Prone to zeezickness.

"No CP waste."
Have mysteries or need to gain second chances? Send me requests! High Shadowy/Persuasive. (yes, I loiter)
Nightmares/Suspicion woes? Stop hesitating! Let me know and I'll take care of those issues!

I am a Crooked-Cross! Invite me to your Salon.
Convenient wikia link
+3 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

6/17/2016
I'm surprised that some of you don't remember the Contrarian. He's one of my favorite characters!

Jovial Contrarian wrote:
'Common sense, Madam, is what tells you the world is flat!'

LOL

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+3 link
Kylestien
Kylestien

6/17/2016
Anne Auclair wrote:
The Contrarian also has a cameo in Sunless Sea. He goes shopping at the Roser's Market for longboxes and gets into an extended argument with you concerning your boxes quality, before happily paying the full price. He loves arguing for its own sake. I wouldn't be surprised if that's why he's running, to have lots and lots of arguments. Maybe this is a clever stratagem to hide his true motivations. Maybe this is just how he is. Maybe we'll find out.

Turns out all this time it was a act for his plan to bring Eaten back from the dead.

--
I will accept all actions, though I hold the right to refuse for my own reasons. However, if you explain WHY you send me a harmful action like Loitering or Dantes,And I feel the reason good, I will consider it more. http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kylestien

Persuasive patron. You want a lesson, send me a message asking for one.
+2 link
Angus Turner
Angus Turner

7/6/2016
Inalynne wrote:
I've been prodding my nose into the Jovial Contrarian's campaign and it seems that he has an interesting connection to The Manager of the Royal Bethlehem. It seems they are plotting, or rather the Manager is coercing him into a plan against the Bazaar. As a newcomer to London I'm not well-versed with the Manager's nor the Contrarian's opinions of the Bazaar, can anyone be so kind as to explain why the Manager has an interest in mingling with revolutionaries? Is he just bored or *spoiler*?

That's a good question. I'm not sure, myself, but here's my take on it. (Spoiler contains spoilers about the revolutionaries and The Manager)
[spoiler]The Contrarian is affiliated with the revolutionaries, and generally opposes the Bazaar's control of London. But as we learn from from his actions in The Affluent Photographer story, he believes that the Bazaar's protection is probably necessary for London's stability in the Neath. From investigating his campaign we know that he opposes, or at least isn't fully supportive of, The Liberation Of Night, a super secret endgame plan of the revolutionaries that will kill the Bazaar but also snuff all light in the Neath and plunge London into an endless night of chaos and anarchy. This is, according to some, a good thing.
What the Manager seems to tell him in the conversation you mentioned is that the Liberation is the only path to freedom, that there is no middle ground between it and subjugation to the Bazaar's will. As to why the Manager should be so interested in the fall of the Bazaar, I'm not sure. He once made a pact with the Bazaar to save his lover's life, which didn't turn out very well for his lover, nor for the Manager, as his lover now blames him for his condition and wants nothing to do with him(also his city was sent to the Neath and then eventually destroyed). Maybe he just holds a grudge, after all the Bazaar did to him. On the other hand, much of what the Manager does seem to be about his desire to get back into his lover's good graces, so perhaps he thinks that ending the Bazaar will do that, as the Bazaar is responsible for what happened to his lover? [/spoiler]

--
The Philanthropic Scholar.
+2 link
Leon McCarran
Leon McCarran

7/6/2016
Though I do admire and respect the man, I cannot in good conscience vote for someone so intimately involved with the anarchists. Indeed, I've done a little work for them here and there but they always gave me such an uneasy feeling. This is coming from a man who prefers the company of the Rubbery Men and Bohemians. The Anarchists are a literal powder keg just waiting to explode, and I will not provide them the spark.

May Fortune Favor the Bold.

--
"It seems that the Road has risen up to meet us sooner than we thought."
--Leon McCarran; Bohemian, Scholar, Spy, and seeker of mysteries.
+2 link
The Masked Felon
The Masked Felon

7/7/2016
The Contrarian is a frivolous, flip-flopping buffoon. As mayor, he'd be unreliable at best.

That being said, he definitely has my vote.
+2 link
Rackenhammer
Rackenhammer

6/19/2016
I myself will be casting a vote for this Chestertonian figure, if only because he is an homage to one of my all-time favorite authors. Plus, I think him the most level-headed of the bunch, and have a tendency to want to go against the "celebrity favorites." Finally, I just like to have the fellow about, as a debater myself.

--
"DO NOT TRUST HAPPY ENDINGS. DO NOT FEAR SAD ENDINGS... NEITHER ARE ENDINGS."
~
Mathieu Psmith: The Bard of Lost Children, loving husband, and a fixture of the artistic set. Can never resist making a show of things...

Irene Psmith: Adopted Daughter of Mathieu. Specializes in Information, Acquisitions, and the Acquisition of Information.

Vaughan Montblanc: Once a frontiersman of Western Canada, he now practices medicine in London. His discretion may be absolutely trusted.
+2 link
absimiliard
absimiliard

6/16/2016
I thought Mr. Chimes was [spoiler] a rotating position all the Masters fill at one point or another. [/spoiler]

--
"Because, Parabola!" -- the Curious Captain
Eating nightmares from friends -- and I'm easy to befriend.
Absimiliard: the Black Rose of Wolfstack Docks
+2 link
Kukapetal
Kukapetal

6/16/2016
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who forgot who he was :P
+2 link
Aster Chroniztikcorp
Aster Chroniztikcorp

6/16/2016
Professor Sketch wrote:

I take it that the lack of colours represents his moral ambiguity, and the grey morality of the Revolutionaries.

--
Happy to accept anything, realy.
http://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aster%20Chroniztik
+2 link
Gonen
Gonen

6/16/2016
Master yourself.
Brilliant slogan!

--
The Ashen Anesthesiologist - Paramount Londoner

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

The long journey to eccentricity:
On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
+2 link
The Master
The Master

6/16/2016
Beau Mercy wrote:
The Master wrote:
I think the chances that Hell will attack us are much higher if someone invades them first.

Is it not the case that Hell has already invaded? A fortnight ago I interrupted a devilless attempting to trick a poor orphan into giving up his immortal soul! What will those Revolutionaries do about that?
edited by Beau Mercy on 6/16/2016

I don't think you understand what the devils will be able to do when we do invade, it will be more than just tricking people into selling them their souls im afraid.

--

+1 link
Victoria Astra Ludlow
Victoria Astra Ludlow

6/17/2016
John Moose wrote:
Now I'm forced to decide between voting for someone that seems to be the best candidate for the job and someone whose campaign platform is essentially "Let's supplex Satan."

This! Now I have to decide which is stronger: my hatred for hell or my commitment to the cause. The Neath - dilemma after dilemma after dilemma...
edited by Victoria Astra Ludlow on 6/17/2016

--
Please contact
Victoria Astra Ludlow, The Rebellious Flâneuse, a Glasslady and Insurgent
for compulsory nanty narking.
+1 link