Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Is the Unterzee actually briny? Messages in this topic - RSS

Zephyrmoth
Zephyrmoth

5/19/2016
I mean, I get that there's the canal and junk, which means there's an influx of salinity for most of the time. But, other than weathering the rock of the Neath, where is the brine coming from (besides the Salt Lions, which I assume are rock salt)? There's no real outflow point for water (that I know of), and unless I'm mistaken the water cycle doesn't exist in the Neath (which is another can of worms entirely), so there's no real reason for dissolved minerals to flow from the land to the zee. I get I'm probably entirely wrong or ignorant about all of this and "don't take it so seriously," but it's going to bother me until I find an answer for it or just get told to ignore it.

--
Call on me here
In search of the Marvellous and "kicks" as the kids call them
+1 link
TheThirdPolice
TheThirdPolice

5/19/2016
Well, there is a god called Salt...

--
Irreal Raven Tender

Formerly dead, but I got better.

The Eternal Zailor, or The Loon who Zails in Zirkles
+6 link
Gilphon
Gilphon

5/19/2016
There's also Lacre. That's somewhat salty, isn't it?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Gilphon
+2 link
IgnatuStone
IgnatuStone

5/19/2016
I think Lacre is ammonia based. Also there's not nearly enough to salt the Unterzee.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Ignatus~Stone
+2 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

5/19/2016
IgnatuStone wrote:
I think Lacre is ammonia based. Also there's not nearly enough to salt the Unterzee.

Thankfully.

--
Kittenpox
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: Twenty-Five (of 50). Halfway there! ^_^
Metaphysical Caprice: 11.
-
Currently: Returned to the Neath, and regaining my footing in this place. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+3 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

5/19/2016
If water comes down through the ground above, mightn't it pick up all sorts of interesting minerals? Not to mention whatever might be coming up from below. Honestly, I think the salt content's the least of your worries if you're thinking about ingesting any.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+5 link
Zephyrmoth
Zephyrmoth

5/19/2016
Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook wrote:
If water comes down through the ground above, mightn't it pick up all sorts of interesting minerals? Not to mention whatever might be coming up from below. Honestly, I think the salt content's the least of your worries if you're thinking about ingesting any.

I mean, I suppose that's true. And I guess there is an outflow to Hell, though I'm not clear on whether that's at a lower Unterzee level or if it's a level canal... But that would imply there's at least false rain that's not glim raining from the Ceiling, which I can't remember being mentioned, though it may just be assumed.
That's another question: is the Unterzee potable (not wise to drink)? You never buy freshwater in Sunless Sea, which, while under supplies, seems like it would be mentioned beyond feeding your officers. It's always starvation being the problem, when dehydration is far worse. I guess there are wells so ground water is a thing, but is that just a matter of convenience? Nothing good seems to come of them as I understand it.

--
Call on me here
+2 link
PJ
PJ

5/19/2016
When I first played Sunless Sea, I wondered why it would be so much colder in the north when we're this deep underground. Thinking about it now, I remembered that there's supposed to be something in the North. I don't know what it is, but it must be unbelievably cold.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Peter%20James
+1 link
Meradine Heidenreich
Meradine Heidenreich

5/19/2016
There is fog. Isn't that on the way to being precipitation, as it were?

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Meradine%20Heidenreich

The Starveling kit
Gobbled up the bit
of cheese on my tray ..
"O Weh!"

No plant battles, please.
+3 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

5/19/2016
PJ wrote:
When I first played Sunless Sea, I wondered why it would be so much colder in the north when we're this deep underground. Thinking about it now, I remembered that there's supposed to be something in the North. I don't know what it is, but it must be unbelievably cold.

[spoiler]The Neathy "North" is actually a gate to outer space. Which is pretty cold.[/spoiler]
edited by Rupho Schartenhauer on 5/19/2016

--
Old hand, still occasionally playing.
0 link
Clifton Royston
Clifton Royston

5/19/2016
Zephyrmoth wrote:
I mean, I get that there's the canal and junk, which means there's an influx of salinity for most of the time. But, other than weathering the rock of the Neath, where is the brine coming from (besides the Salt Lions, which I assume are rock salt)?

The Salt Lions are definitely not made of salt, excepting puns; it says somewhere that they're basalt. I assume the name is the other way around, they're called Salt Lions because they're in the middle of an ocean instead of a desert where sphinxes belong.

--
A person of little significance:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/cliftonr

Currently accepting all non-harmful social actions, at least until I learn better.
0 link
dov
dov

5/19/2016
Thanks to this thread, I now have this stuck in my head on repeat all day:

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

5/19/2016
Zephyrmoth wrote:
But that would imply there's at least false rain that's not glim raining from the Ceiling, which I can't remember being mentioned, though it may just be assumed.

We get a few confirmations of Neathy rain. Light rain is just condensation; heavy rain is assumed to be flow from above.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+5 link
John Moose
John Moose

5/19/2016
I think some water should be constantly escaping the Neath's ecosystem, at least from the hole above Aestival, so some should be entering it as well. Little streams trickling down through cracks in the ceiling/walls sounds like it could both keep the water level more or less constant and be capable of bringing salt into the Unterzee.

On the other hand, I can't find mention of water running out anywhere - a particular tale in Sunless Sea of supplies running out mentions hunger but nothing of thirst, and mentions the usage of a pot. It kind of seems that water is never a problem, and there's no mention of systems to extract water from the nigh-omnipresent fog, so maybe the Unterzee is indeed drinkable? Calling it a sea/zee might have nothing to do with salinity and just be the kneejerk reaction of anyone seeing a body of water that massive.

Now I'm imagining pedantics from the university going around correcting zailors by saying "ACTUALLY, it should be the Unterlake" and getting pushed in the river.
edited by John Moose on 5/19/2016
+7 link
Erika
Erika

5/19/2016
In the Last Dog Society, there's an item named 'Briny Insights', and it pertains to learning about the Last Dog Society (and by extension, zailor practices).

As it's the item name, I feel like it's not just flavour text and the unterzee might really be briny.

--
Where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep.
                           Going on a fate expedition? I'm collecting data! Help me?
               "Bottles of Oblivion" drunk in the name of content: 57
              Catboxes (send more!) opened in the name of science: 1093
                    Fancy a friend?
+2 link
Bertrand Leonidas Poole
Bertrand Leonidas Poole

5/19/2016
So, brackish, but not completely briny?
0 link
CALLNXW
CALLNXW

5/19/2016
Yeah, because of the lacre.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Call%20Now
0 link
Charlotte_de_Witte
Charlotte_de_Witte

5/19/2016
It could be both? Especially given its size.

It might follow a gradient? Or have Haloclines? With some areas of fresh water suspended above the salt water below? (Or vice versa.) That would allow for the Sea of Lilies maybe? And for finding potable water on long voyages?

Some water must come from above to form speleothems like New Newgate and the Dripstone-Snared Temple.

I think to have the room to account for everything, the Zee would need to have variable conditions in different places.
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 5/19/2016

--
"Do one thing for me, Sredni Vashtar."

Social actions welcome. Only, send me dupes if you need help with the Affluent Photographer please, I like the bats! [And boxed kitties, and extreme gardening]- Thank-you!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Charlotte%20de%20Witte
+2 link
absimiliard
absimiliard

5/19/2016
I think Charlotte has it. It has to vary.

Since it's big enough that time and space themselves get more than a bit bent up far out . . . I have no problem believing in localized conditions.

--
"Because, Parabola!" -- the Curious Captain
Eating nightmares from friends -- and I'm easy to befriend.
Absimiliard: the Black Rose of Wolfstack Docks
+2 link
Zephyrmoth
Zephyrmoth

5/19/2016
Charlotte_de_Witte wrote:
It could be both? Especially given its size.

It might follow a gradient? Or have Haloclines? With some areas of fresh water suspended above the salt water below? (Or vice versa.) That would allow for the Sea of Lilies maybe? And for finding potable water on long voyages?

Some water must come from above to form speleothems like New Newgate and the Dripstone-Snared Temple.

I think to have the room to account for everything, the Zee would need to have variable conditions in different places.
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 5/19/2016

I believe that's the end of the thread. Other than questions of outflow, but there are likely answers to that.
edited by Zephyrmoth on 5/19/2016

--
Call on me here
+1 link