Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

Chrome extension: Playing Favourites Messages in this topic - RSS

Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/21/2016
Delicious friends!

I'm happy to present to you yet another of my little helper extensions for Chrome.

Whitelisted as of 2016-03-22

Have you ever been in a situation that you have to, repeatedly, scroll through a long list of storylets to pick that-one-option you pick every time?

Have you ever wished that was easier to select?

Well, your wish has come true (for Chrome, at least). Presenting Playing Favourites: an extension that allows you to mark certain branches/storylets as favourites, which highlights them and floats them to the top. You can also mark cards to help triage them.

The most wonderful thing? You only need to set your favourites once, and they will sync to other Chrome browsers you use if Extension Sync is enabled.

Currently you can fine-tune the extension to only highlight the branches, float non-locked to the top (default), or float all to the top.

Download: Chrome Web Store
Source and bug tracker: GitHub

All feedback welcome.
edited by Alistair Cray on 10/29/2016

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
Chandlery | Playing Favourites
+22 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

11/5/2018
OK, so. Good news, bad news.

Good news: someone stepped in to help with required changes, that were far less than I expected. I took their work, added some fixes on top, and there we have it: 0.4.0-pre version.

Bad news: I still have a few things I want to finish off before I put it out as an official update. For now, you can install the preview version as an unpacked extension to test its compatibility with the new UI.

Good (bad?) news: I'm down with a cold, so I'm not working. On the bright side, I should have time to try and finish the pesky bugs off soon.

Bad news: When I do finally push the update to Web Store, the extension will be auto-disabled for all users. This is due to URL change (the extension will require permissions to access the new URL), and everyone will have to manually accept the change. But at least you'll know it's been updated!

Good news: Firefox compatibility with Chrome extensions is now much better than 2 years ago when I last took a stab at it. So if the momentum keeps going, we'll have a Firefox version as well soon.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+6 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

10/18/2018
I'm here. I'm reading this. However, I've been finding really little time for hobby project maintenance for a while now.. I hope to look into it this weekend.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+5 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

11/6/2018
The deed is done.

0.4.0 is out in Chrome Web Store.

If you want to hurry your updates along, open chrome://extensions, enable Developer Mode, and click Update at the top. Otherwise, it should auto-update in a matter of hours.

Known issue: when transitioning from a branch conclusion back to the same storylet, the order of branches can be sometimes weird (e.g. inactive mixed with active). I may fix that in a future update, it's cosmetic only and just a weirdness of how React works (and my reordering messes with it).

Special thanks to Trevor Loflin who did the groundwork for adapting to the new UI and kicked off my activity.

My apologies that it took so long. As a matter of fact, I do not play Fallen London myself for over 1.5 years now, which can explain my apathy. I'm happy that supporting this extension is still feasible though.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+4 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/22/2016
And, the extension is now whitelisted, many thanks to Hannah. Making it public on Chrome Web Store.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+4 link
Gallmarch
Gallmarch

6/8/2018
I can't speak for Playing Favourites, but in general the hooks that extensions rely on are still available: just under different names and in different places.

(FWIW, I'm going to hold off on publishing updates to my own extensions until the redesign is completely finished/stable, just to make sure that FBG don't get any bug reports on my account, but my in-development versions are mostly working fine on the new site.)

--
My profile: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Gallmarch
+4 link
idyl
idyl

6/8/2018
Gallmarch wrote:
I can't speak for Playing Favourites, but in general the hooks that extensions rely on are still available: just under different names and in different places.

(FWIW, I'm going to hold off on publishing updates to my own extensions until the redesign is completely finished/stable, just to make sure that FBG don't get any bug reports on my account, but my in-development versions are mostly working fine on the new site.)
Nice. I'm looking forward to your extensions just as much as I'm looking forward to a working new site.

And I know this is a kind of ridiculous request, but would you (or anyone else) be able to put together a line of CSS or whatnot that does something about the absolutely HUGE banner images on the new site? I'd attempt myself, but I know nothing of coding, etc. Maybe something that instead of seeing this:

https://imgur.com/fgA6mLJ

it would scroll down or hide/shrink the image, so that it shows up like this:

https://imgur.com/CKTsgsp

I love the new artwork, but to me it's excessively large. Once I've seen it once, appreciated it, etc., I'm ready to just get to business and play. And I love the candles, but I don't need to see them either, since the Actions left are still viewable. I know this is cutting out some of the atmosphere, but I'm just not a fan of half of the page being taken up by a banner.

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
+4 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/23/2016
Delicious friends, feedback requested!

I have added, in my development build, support for marking card discards:

The state toggles through these, unmarked -> green -> red. By themselves, the markings don't do anything (they don't prevent you from clicking, just there to encourage/discourage discarding).

Question time:
  • Do you like this implementation?
  • Should there be some warning when clicking on red "DISCARD", or would it just get in the way?
  • Now that I think about it, consider this: red "DISCARD" turns into "SURE?" if you click it, and you have to click a second time. Is that good?
  • Should I implement red marking for storylet branches as well?

edited by Alistair Cray on 3/23/2016

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+3 link
Gallmarch
Gallmarch

10/19/2018
Hey Alistair! I'm a big fan of Playing Favourites and I'd love to see it operational on the redesign. I have been working on porting one of my extensions so have been spending a fair amount of time looking at the new site's structure. As far as I can tell there are enough bits of metadata in the redesign for PF to work, although a lot of the logic is going to need another look. I've forked your repo and will try to open an issue over the weekend to discuss the technical stuff (modulo the same shortage of time to work on hobby projects that you're experiencing).

--
My profile: https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Gallmarch
+3 link
Valiant
Valiant

3/21/2016
Great idea! Do you plan to add Firefox version one day?

--
Sir Valiant Carrington, a heartless hedonist and honorary governor of Port Carnelian. You can ask him for a sip of Cider (here's how by an_ocelot) if you catch him in London.
Farshin Jarrah, merry trickster and incorrigible optimist.
Serine, gone down the well but not forgotten.

Avatar artwork by lovely Farseer Drijya
+3 link
Valiant
Valiant

2/15/2020
My partner was kind enough to fix Playing Favourites - now it works inside storylets too! Here's a link for Firefox. Chrome is still authorising the extension, I'll add a link when it will be up.

--
Sir Valiant Carrington, a heartless hedonist and honorary governor of Port Carnelian. You can ask him for a sip of Cider (here's how by an_ocelot) if you catch him in London.

+3 link
Valiant
Valiant

3/16/2020
Extension was updated: now ribbons affect Go and Discard buttons. I.e. you can't play a card or storylet marked red (but you can play them with Shift+click). Discard button is disabled for cards that are marked green (they can be discarded with Shift+click).
You have to enable these options in extension settings:
[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

--

+3 link
Morgana Pryde
Morgana Pryde

9/13/2020
MidnightGlass wrote:
Just a quick question, is this something that is still being worked on? The floating function of the extension seems to no longer be working.

Hi! Sorry for late reply. I don't often check the forum. I just uploaded fix for firefox and google chrome. Firefox already accepted it, and in google store it is in verification stage
+3 link
Valiant
Valiant

4/24/2020
Hi! Yes, I noticed this just now. FB must have implemented some changes to website and it broke sorting function. I hope we'll be able to fix it soon.

--

+2 link
Valiant
Valiant

2/20/2020
Issue with invisible ribbons next to cards was fixed.
And here's a link for Chrome extension!

--

+2 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/21/2016
Valiant wrote:
Great idea! Do you plan to add Firefox version one day?
My stance on this:

1. I, personally, probably won't port it to Firefox now. Alien add-on architecture I've never worked with.
2. I would be interested in doing so when Firefox adopts its plan to have Chrome-like extensions. Should happen in August this year.
3. The extension is open-source and not very complicated. Everyone's welcome to take a stab at porting it to Greasemonkey or native Firefox addons.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+2 link
Diseraph
Diseraph

10/15/2018
I'm really gutted there has been no apparent response from the author here. This was by far my most favourite extension for FL.
+2 link
Zarremgregarrok
Zarremgregarrok

10/16/2018
Diseraph wrote:
I'm really gutted there has been no apparent response from the author here. This was by far my most favourite extension for FL.

Yeah, marking some options and cards as important for me was a huge feature.

I messaged the author via PM, we shall see if they appear.

--
Main and a professor of some note:
Zarremgregarrok
No Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.
+2 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

10/30/2016
Delicious friends!

A big 0.3 update just landed in the Chrome Web Store.
  • The old and elusive bug with the extension not loading after login and requiring a reload has been tracked down worked around.
  • Branches and storylets can now be marked as "avoid" (red), and will float to the bottom if reordering is enabled.
  • The extension now offers two modes to cycle through states: click-through to cycle green-red-neutral, and using Ctrl/Cmd to set red.
  • The extension should now allow much more faves/avoids (several thousands of every type) before running into problems.
Next up:
  • Exporting and importing configuration! While Chrome Sync does a pretty good job, you may want to back up or manually transfer your selections. You will be able to both replace and merge in configurations.
  • Protecting discards that are marked red. I wanted it in 0.3 but was running out of time.
  • The big one. A Firefox version! I believe I already made it compatible, but I need a bit more testing and do the manual review for the Mozilla Add-on repository.

As usual with updates: your Chrome should eventually pick it up automatically and require no action on your part, but if you want to accelerate the process, you can force an update check at chrome://extensions with Developer mode enabled.
edited by Alistair Cray on 10/30/2016

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+2 link
Zarremgregarrok
Zarremgregarrok

11/13/2018
There seems to have arrived some IU update, that disconnected in-storylet-options from Playing Favourites.

--
Zarremgregarrok
No Affluent Photographer requests, or healing offers; all other social actions welcome.
+2 link
Mr. Mercutio
Mr. Mercutio

10/30/2016
Thanks for your hard work, Alistair! Still my favourite FL extension. Big Grin

--
Mr. Mercutio
Immortal. Rich. Only moderately insane.

Want a taste of immortality? Reach out to me in-game to ask for a sip of Hesperidean Cider. Please follow Ocelot's guide to asking here.

New to our dark city? Send me a message in-game and I will respond when I can with a welcome gift!

I welcome most social actions, so feel free to send them to me. Just please don't ask me to Loiter Suspiciously or to help with the Affluent Photographer. I have disavowed all knowledge of her.

Galatea LaChance
She has gone North, and none shall know what she found there.
+1 link
Merneith
Merneith

2/8/2017
For the last month, I've been using a version of this most excellent mod which I converted for my own use to Firefox.

I don't want to post it, since, not being the author of the mod, I don't want to be rude. But the good news is that Mozilla is working on creating a crossplatform extension framework. The conversion tools are literally point & click. It will walk you through installing the tool and setting it up your necessary permissions. Then you simply save the Chrome extension from its .crx to the .xpi Mozilla extension file type.

I'm going to post these instructions which I posted at a different site first. Hopefully some of my new Delicious Friends will find them useful.

1. First you need to make Firefox account, which is the account that you sign into for syncing Firefox bookmarks, if you're already doing that (I am; that works great, too.)

2. Then here's the tool - Firefox is working to make crossplatform extensions a thing and this tool is part of that crusade.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/chrome-store-foxified/

How To

Go to the Google Chrome Webstore. You do not need to login with a Google account.
Go to the "Extensions" section
Find any extension you like, and you will see a button "Add to Firefox". Click it.
If you want to "permanently install" it, then you must login to addons.mozilla.org and have cookies enabled. If cookies are disabled then the addon cannot see that you are logged in. Please see support topic - https://github.com/Noitidart/Chrome-Store-Foxified/issues/49#issuecomment-259261125

3. Once you install the above extension, you go to the Chrome store from within Firefox and click on the link to install the Chrome extension -

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/playing-favourites-for-fa/mcaahfdpnojmloiekappdkeafmhdmfhd

4. The extension will walk you though getting an API from Mozilla (it's simple, point & click). Mozilla wants everyone to have an API so that they can keep track of who's uploading what to their own store. You need the API, although I'm not uploading this file since it's not really my mod. I'm just going through this for my private use.

5. Once you're set up, you'll get a pop that looks like this when you click on the Add to Firefox button on the addon page:

Click on the Save Addon To File option - this converts the Chrome .crx extension into the Firefox .xpi format.

6. Doubleclick on your new .xpi file (if Windows asks what program to open the file with, select Firefox)

After that, you should now have the Favorites installed just like any other Firefox extension

Yours,
Perdita Radcliffe
edited by Merneith on 2/8/2017
+1 link
thessilian
thessilian

6/7/2018
Does anyone know if this extension, or something similar, would be possible on the new site?

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Georgina Kamsika
+1 link
Dudebro Pyro
Dudebro Pyro

8/22/2018
omnilynx wrote:
Gallmarch wrote:

I was just playing around with updating this extension, and unfortunately I found that this is false. Namely, it's impossible to identify opportunity cards because they're coded in React and the rendered HTML doesn't have any identifying ID anywhere the way the old cards did.

Isn't react mainly client-side? If so, it should be possible to hook into the JS instead. Much more annoying to do, definitely, but not yet impossible.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/22/2018

--
Dudebro Pyro, eccentric scholar

Spare Starveling Kitties always welcome. I collect them.
For that matter, send me your unwanted cat boxes too.
+1 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

8/29/2018
Dudebro Pyro wrote:
omnilynx wrote:
Gallmarch wrote:

I was just playing around with updating this extension, and unfortunately I found that this is false. Namely, it's impossible to identify opportunity cards because they're coded in React and the rendered HTML doesn't have any identifying ID anywhere the way the old cards did.

Isn't react mainly client-side? If so, it should be possible to hook into the JS instead. Much more annoying to do, definitely, but not yet impossible.
edited by Dudebro Pyro on 8/22/2018

Playing Favourites already has to peek into the page's JS context, see https://github.com/kav2k/fl_favourites/blob/72ae22d0fb3a5830e48adc388670dfb6504b8f70/src/js/content.js#L59-L86 - to extract page-level onclick attributes as annotations. I expect this can be done likewise to extract React properties.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+1 link
Zarremgregarrok
Zarremgregarrok

10/1/2018
omnilynx wrote:
Gallmarch wrote:

edited by omnilynx on 8/21/2018

That is strange, I see div with class hand__card-container and data-event-id="20230" on the new redesigned UI in https://www.fallenlondon.com/
Is it not possible to hook onto that?
edited by Zarremgregarrok on 10/1/2018
edited by Zarremgregarrok on 10/1/2018

--
Zarremgregarrok
+1 link
Mr. Mercutio
Mr. Mercutio

3/23/2016
This extension is awesome, Alistair. Thanks so much! I don't know the logistics of it, but would it be possible to do something similar with actual storylets? I'd love to bump the Affair of the Box stories up to the top of the Spite area.

--
Mr. Mercutio
Immortal. Rich. Only moderately insane.

Want a taste of immortality? Reach out to me in-game to ask for a sip of Hesperidean Cider. Please follow Ocelot's guide to asking here.

New to our dark city? Send me a message in-game and I will respond when I can with a welcome gift!

I welcome most social actions, so feel free to send them to me. Just please don't ask me to Loiter Suspiciously or to help with the Affluent Photographer. I have disavowed all knowledge of her.

Galatea LaChance
She has gone North, and none shall know what she found there.
+1 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/23/2016
Mr. Mercutio wrote:
This extension is awesome, Alistair. Thanks so much! I don't know the logistics of it, but would it be possible to do something similar with actual storylets? I'd love to bump the Affair of the Box stories up to the top of the Spite area.

Yes, it's possible, I intend to do it soon. The extra layer of work I mentioned has been done already to support cards.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+1 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/23/2016
Gentle nudge for people who like the extension: please rate it in the Web Store. This improves the visibility of the extension to people searching the Store instead of coming through here.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+1 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

3/24/2016
Version 0.2.1 is out, adding support for cards (as shown in posts above) and storylets in locations.

Your Chrome should eventually pick it up automatically and require no action on your part, but if you want to accelerate the process, you can force an update check at chrome://extensions with Developer mode enabled.

Do note: red discard button currently does NOT prevent accidental clicks. As much as I'd want that, it's harder to do than I initially estimated. It's still on the table for a later version, but don't expect it very soon.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+1 link
Gemma Hawley
Gemma Hawley

3/24/2016
fallingkitten wrote:
May I ask what other extensions you use?

PM sent, fallingkitten.

--
Gemma Hawley—Former urchin, recovering misanthrope, fixer for the Cheery Man
+1 link
Alistair Cray
Alistair Cray

10/18/2016
fallingkitten wrote:
Every time I log out and back in (doesn't matter if I log into a different account or the same one), I then have to reload the page, else the green markers don't show.

Gemma Hawley wrote:
I'm having the same experience over here. Once I reload, it works fine, but every time I switch accounts, it's gone again. I don't even mind the extra click because the extension is overall so useful!

Should you need any pertinent details, Mr Cray, feel free to PM.

Delicious friends! At long last, I have found the core reason for this bug, and it's frankly fascinating, as it seems to be quite a nasty bug in Chrome itself.

I hope I'll find time to fix this (it's quite easy, but the whole push-an-update-to-Web-Store dance is something I don't have time for right now). I'll also try to publish it for Firefox at some point - WebExtensions are now mature enough for it.

--
Fallen London profile
My browser extensions:
+1 link
thessilian
thessilian

11/7/2018
Thank you so very much for taking the time to update it, especially as you no longer play.

--
http://www.fallenlondon.com/Profile/Georgina Kamsika
+1 link
Valiant
Valiant

2/21/2020
Yep, you have to remove old one first. And sadly your choices will be reset.

--

+1 link
Thanos Black
Thanos Black

4/24/2020
Hello everybody!
I've been using Playing Favourites on Opera browser for about a week or so and I've not had any problems. It is simple, easy and useful. Until yesterday afternoon, it still worked just fine. By evening though, there appeared a problem. All the options I had marked as useful in the various locations around London still float on top as normal, but within those options, as well as in the opportunity cards, my chosen options have reverted to their original place, even though they remain marked green/red. I I've not changed anything in my laptop or its settings, or the browser's settings.

I've checked the extension settings and they're fine. I've even tried cycling through Favourite-Avoid-Neutral to see if there's any change but nothing. Is anyone else experiencing this? I understand the extension may not be fine-tuned for Opera, but it was working perfectly for more than a week, that's why I'm asking if there's anyone else having a problem since yesterday. It's not game-breaking at all, of course, it's just that I was just getting used to having all my good options floating in my view! Big Grin

In any case, thanks in advance and I hope you're all staying safe!

--
Avid Collector of Multifarious Paraphernalia and all Manner of Things Useless, Unwanted and Unnecessary.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Thanos%20Black
+1 link
MidnightGlass
MidnightGlass

8/22/2020
Just a quick question, is this something that is still being worked on? The floating function of the extension seems to no longer be working.
+1 link
Julius de Poisson
Julius de Poisson

9/20/2020
Thank you for maintaining this extension! It's a fantastic ease of use improvement for the game.

--
Julius de Poisson - Paramount Presence. Midnighter. Poet Laureate. Scholar. A Neathy Renaissance man.

Lady Dziet Embless Sma - Correspondent. Vake Vanquisher. Duellist.
+1 link