Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

March Exceptional Story: The Frequently Deceased Messages in this topic - RSS

Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

2/25/2016

A family of promising youngsters have killed their Governess again. This time, she hasn't come back.

Question servants across London. The chief glass-cleaner at the House of Mirrors. The attendants at a honey-den. Your own staff. Keep the children distracted with Enthralling Tales and your least lethal pets.

Find the Unsinkable Governess.

Play An Exceptional Story: Staffing Difficulties to begin.

The Frequently Deceased is the first story in the Family Ties season. Playing it and the two stories that follow will make you eligible for an additional opportunity.

The recently deceased was written by Emily Short. Editing, QA and special thanks: Cash DeCuir, Chris Gardiner, Olivia Wood and Sam Partridge.

Please remember to be liberal with your use of spoiler tags when discussing this story. If you're unsure whether something is a spoiler, use the tag! Here's a reminder of our position on spoilers and guidance.

In addition to a new, substantial, stand-alone story every month, Exceptional Friends enjoy:
  • Access to the House of Chimes: an exclusive private member's club on the Stolen River, packed with content!
  • An expanded opportunity deck: of ten cards instead of six!
  • A second candle: Twice the actions! 40 at once!
(To retain this story for playing at a later date, you must play through the related storylet in the House of Chimes. This will save it from the monthly changeover, on the last Thursday of the month.)

edited by h4nchan on 2/25/2016

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+8 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

2/26/2016
Nanako wrote:

But my biggest criticism of all i think, was the overall mundaneity of the story. Nothing i did, or discovered, had any real consquence, for myself or london. I went looking for a missing nanny, and I found her. With barely a hint of dark magic or deeper mysteries along the way. I kind of expected higher stakes

Hey, we already have hellspawn (in the monstrous sense of word and not the Brass one) for The Gift. Another set of hellspawn and GRIMDARKBLOODMURDER after the previous batch of Exceptional Stories will be way too much.

Mundane people thriving in exceptional environments are fun, too, especially since this time the mundane people are making use of the same rules the players have. Also these kids trumped the Starveling Cat that's supposed to be all dreadful-and-horrifc-and-SMENish, that's enough dark magic for the day.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+13 link
Kaigen
Kaigen

2/26/2016
Nanako wrote:
I don't really agree with this. FBG have made many premium stories in the past that come with advisory notices on where your stats should roughly be, in order to enjoy it most
Yes, but those premium stories aren't time limited. A new player has to decide whether to subscribe now to get access to this story (the preferable outcome for FBG) or wait months to pay fate for it, and buying a subscription so that they can take two actions and then sit on their hands probably doesn't appeal.

As for the children, I'd argue you get the better of them with the bedtime story, as it leaves them quiet, still, and utterly terrified.
edited by Kaigen on 2/26/2016

--
Just a simple doctor with a chess habit. Publisher of The Flit Dispatch.

"One must remember that the impossible is, alas, always possible."
-Jacques Derrida
+12 link
Amélie Vaincœur
Amélie Vaincœur

2/26/2016
Fair warning everyone, posting in absolute fan-girl mode.... In Love

.....but this story was such a treat! A masterpiece! Utterly delightful! Truly Exceptional! I loved every minute of it!
(I wish I could vote 10 out of 5 when the Enthusiastic Urchin comes asking...)

I feel like this ES perfectly combined everything that is wonderful about Fallen London: there was use of a variety of game mechanics; and of course a story that, while in essence quite serious, is just absolutely hilarious on so many levels. I laughed so hard so often I must've been in serious danger of combustion myself! wink

There were just so many layers to this story! I loved checking every location in London for options to speak with servants, then making sure to play them all.... mixed up with playing with the children, and slowly finding out more about the Governess.... trading one quality for another - and when I feared I might be nearing the story's end: nope, here comes a Flash Lay! Brilliant! smile

So beautiful that we got an extensive POV from everyone: the mother, the children, the Governess herself... I totally feel like I really got to know that family.... and finally some in-depth information about the tribulations of Fallen London's servant class - something I had long felt had been missing from the game!

I very much appreciated being able to put off the end a little longer while waiting for the epilogue opp card (as an aside, I think that should become a standard feature for ES!). I really did not want to finish! wink

Overall, the writing was simply excellent from start to finish! Every little snippet of text fully deserved its place. For me, this story was better even than Lost in Reflections (my favourite so far) and Flint taken together!

Thank you, Emily Short! Applause

--
Enchantée.
+11 link
Lomias
Lomias

3/1/2016
Dear fellow Londoners, please accept my apology if my rudeness has aroused any unnecessary annoyance. I might be overreacting, sorry about that.

After all, there is too much hate and too little love in our world already. I shouldn't make it worse, probably.
edited by Lomias on 3/1/2016

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lomias
+11 link
The Duke of Waltham
The Duke of Waltham

3/1/2016
Hannah Flynn wrote:
The Frequently Deceased is the first story in the Family Ties season. [... ]

The recently deceased was written by Emily Short.

I should like to thank Ms Flynn for these excellent news, and at the same time draw her attention to the importance of consistency in capitalisation and vocabulary. Here's how my mind was tricked to read the above the first time I looked at it:

Hannah Flynn wrote:
the recently deceased Emily Short.

Do you realise how this felt? DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT TO US AGAIN!

--
The Duke of Waltham welcomes requests for assistance from those troubled by menaces, and His Grace's townhouse is always open to visitors who will not attempt to steal the silverware or extract support for yet another ill-advised scheme concerning photographers.

H. Cartwright, secretary.
+8 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

2/29/2016
Nanako wrote:
But my biggest criticism of all i think, was the overall mundaneity of the story. Nothing i did, or discovered, had any real consquence, for myself or london. I went looking for a missing nanny, and I found her. With barely a hint of dark magic or deeper mysteries along the way. I kind of expected higher stakes

Robin Mask wrote:
This one I feel is both right and wrong . . .

On the one hand, it is a 'mundane' story insofar as it's not about magic or greater lore, but - on the other hand - not every story needs to be about those things . . . I'd argue it can't be, either, as then the appeal and unique nature of those tidbits wanes off, plus people get tired of every story being the same. Eventually, you get sick of it . . . like, I adore the masters, but were they in every story -? I'd probably stop playing.

Dubinee Finnat wrote:
For myself, that is exactly what I liked the most about it. It's not all monsters, heads of state, international conspiracies, ancient mysteries, and far away places, sometimes it's just the ordinary people all around you who turn out to be anything but ordinary at all. The world of those who sweep the streets and polish the silverware, labour in factories and tutor the children of the upper classes. It made me feel that while I've been out exploring the zees, descending into caves, stealing from palaces, and so on, there has been a whole other world of adventure going on all around me from which I've been excluded until now. I dunno about you, but I didn't even know that I *had* servants, let alone all the mysteries and plots that they get up to. I love Emily Short for thinking of that.

I'm inclined to agree with Robin and Dubinee on this one. Not every story needs to be centred around [spoiler]giant space crabs, emergency procedures in case of piggy alarm-clocks, going for a camping trip by Snake River, getting the munchies really badly, sapient guinea pigs, non-euclidean apiary construction, varying types of inter-species dating tips, 'who wore it better?' face-fashion, a certain coloured "science", the life of a neathly postal worker, or even uncovering the identity of the bat-man.[/spoiler] (Yes, I'm being vague with some of these - perhaps inordinately so. Point is, there's room for both the mundane and the fantastical, and a mix of both is healthy to have.)

Sometimes the mundane is actually a *very* welcome change from all the strangeness, and a good way of reminding me as a player that yes, London proper is still doing its own thing. The little people are still going about their day-to-day stuff, and even though my character is basically on the way towards apotheosis by comparison, this is a city rather than just a series of separate static locations on a map.

Robin Mask wrote:
You have to care about London to want to 'live' in London.

^ and sometimes a reminder of what London *is*, is what's required in order to care about it. :-)

-
Anne Auclair wrote:
You can really set the Starvling Cat on them?

Yup! - http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Kittenpox?fromEchoId=7965021

-
Overall I really enjoyed this story (especially after the previous one; which was good, but was over before it began.) I feel that many of the praises I have for this story have already been covered by others, though, so I'll end this comment here.
edited by Kittenpox on 2/29/2016

--
Kittenpox
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: Twenty-Five (of 50). Halfway there! ^_^
Metaphysical Caprice: 11.
-
Currently: Returned to the Neath, and regaining my footing in this place. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+8 link
Experiment
Experiment

2/26/2016
I am not quite finished the story yet, but 0 action dialogue is truly blissful. Very much appreciated!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Experiment
+8 link
Charlotte_de_Witte
Charlotte_de_Witte

2/25/2016
I love the premise smile

"Help! Our Julie Andrews is missing!"

--
"Do one thing for me, Sredni Vashtar."

Social actions welcome. Only, send me dupes if you need help with the Affluent Photographer please, I like the bats! [And boxed kitties, and extreme gardening]- Thank-you!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Charlotte%20de%20Witte
+7 link
Gonen
Gonen

3/12/2016
Wanted to join the parade of praises.
It was delightful! Good written story, didn't want to do anything else in London at the time. Very enjoyable.
I like the fact that not all EF are earth shattering lore wise. Not everything has to involve the heart and essence of this universe. This one story, of one family, provided excellent entertainment while reviling a bit of how's society works (Example: Exceptional Feast's gifts for servants, a bit of the inside if a certain law firm and a club, etc.)
Very interesting mechanics - the use of the technique to send us across London keeps the EF interesting and perhaps psychologically longer.
Really appreciated the fact that the conversations was actions free. Could be quite frustrating to wait 10 minutes for each question.

One of the best EF. I noticed this is the third time I say this in the last 4 months, meaning I am very pleased with the added bonus for EF members - the EF stories.

A great thank you for the staff, for Emily Short on the adventure and the people behind the curtain for the mechanics.

--
The Ashen Anesthesiologist - Paramount Londoner

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

The long journey to eccentricity:
On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
+7 link
Hobnail
Hobnail

2/26/2016
A MESSAGE HAS NOT BEEN DELIVERED

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hobnail
+6 link
Alexander Feld
Alexander Feld

2/29/2016

By the way I find my comments tends to receive thumbs down when I judge Exceptional Stories (even though I recommend them). I guess people just love FBG so much that they lose their sense to judge neutrally. I don't know if they have played other beautifully written games, just like braid, to the moon, life is strange, and the like. Not to mention novels and animes. If they have, they should know FBG is just one of market players, it's not even the best among them (but it's improving). I doubt my harsh words will break these people's hearts, but if they do, I would be glad.

edited by Lomias on 2/29/2016

I think it may be entirely possible that other people just have different opinions from you. It is something people tend to do.

Different people appreciate different things in a story, and in such an elaborately built world, there is so very much to tell. Not all of this will be to everyone's taste; but there will be people to enjoy each facet of the world. You can see as much in this very thread, not to mention the crowds of people willing to throw themselves down wells for no good reason.
edited by Alexander Feld on 2/29/2016

--
I am a star-gazer, story-eater, and a smelter of words.

I filch hidden things from hidden places, to hide once more in my dark cabinet of curiosities

Alexander Feld, the mad, damned, lord of seekers.
+6 link
absimiliard
absimiliard

3/1/2016
I just have to say that I'm getting a very Addams-esque feeling while playing with the children. I can just see little Wednesday and Pugsley at play, him ready to be guillotined.....

--
"Because, Parabola!" -- the Curious Captain
Eating nightmares from friends -- and I'm easy to befriend.
Absimiliard: the Black Rose of Wolfstack Docks
+6 link

2/26/2016
Nanako wrote:

it was a good story though. 4/5

For myself, that is exactly what I liked the most about it. It's not all monsters, heads of state, international conspiracies, ancient mysteries, and far away places, sometimes it's just the ordinary people all around you who turn out to be anything but ordinary at all. The world of those who sweep the streets and polish the silverware, labour in factories and tutor the children of the upper classes. It made me feel that while I've been out exploring the zees, descending into caves, stealing from palaces, and so on, there has been a whole other world of adventure going on all around me from which I've been excluded until now. I dunno about you, but I didn't even know that I *had* servants, let alone all the mysteries and plots that they get up to. I love Emily Short for thinking of that.

My one regret is that I grew quite fond of the children, and it doesn't seem like we'll be seeing any more of them. If our unseen lords were feeling unprecedentedly kind, maybe a new storylet could appear in Ladybones Road so that we might visit them again from time to time? It's only an idea smile
+6 link
Aaron Belfort
Aaron Belfort

2/27/2016
I say, did anyone else wish there was option to introduce this matrons "little darlings" to your connected to The Urchins 20 or higher and let the professional juvenile delinquents handle these amateur little monsters? "Madam, I recommend you teach your children to play with matches...for the betterment of Fallen London's future..." A. Belfort, Now a confirmed misanthrope...
+6 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

2/28/2016
Lomias wrote:
-The theme of the story doesn’t stand out, I don't really know what it wants to tell. Loyalty versus professional advancement? Importance of proper parenting? Family bonding between kids and governess?

[spoiler]My take: it's not a heavily thematic work; it's a glimpse into the lives of working-class Fallen Londoners, and those who would improve their lot, through the lens of the disappearance of one ambitious governess. It's a documentary piece.[/spoiler]

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+5 link
babelfishwars
babelfishwars
Administrator

2/26/2016
Lacunae wrote:
At the epilogue of the story, there is an option simply called "reset this story". The description text is "reset", and it needs a Key of Dreams. Is that meant to be there?

I have no idea what you're talking about. *stares meaningfully at you* (Fixed, thank you. That was an inner cog flaunting itself.)

--
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
+5 link
aertew
aertew

2/26/2016
Sara Hysaro wrote:
Has anybody gotten the bonus mentioned in the Bazaar Side-streets storylet? I've been playing that option for most of the night without any luck so far, so I'm tempted to just move on with the story and maybe try again with Delmar later.

You receive a sworn statement and some very interesting information about the Veteran Privy Counsellor of the court.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/aertew
+5 link
aertew
aertew

2/26/2016
I enjoyed this story a lot, its tied for second favourite with July and close to Flint. I enjoyed the charecters, the children reminded me of a malicious version of the Baudelaire children from a Series of Unfortunate Events. The little servant storylets around London were fun and varied enough, and the flash lay was a fun feature. I choose to give the truth for the children, but has anyone chosen the harsh lie option?

--
+4 link
Toran
Toran

2/26/2016
I deeply regret not having realized it was possible to get playing with the Children to 10, I wanted those endings. I may reset this one eventually. Otherwise, delightful. The one thing I felt was missing was a permanent quality noting I hadn't released the woman's secret. Because now she and the agency that placed her are under my thumb. THAT was my motivation - "curiosity" indeed.

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Anthony%20Toran
+4 link
Emain Ablach
Emain Ablach

2/26/2016
Finished the story.

I loved it. It was touching, well written, and the characters were interesting, very well fleshed out.
Having to search for informations and bits of texts all around London was very nice, and the little stories, the little slice of life (is it the right expression ?) of the servants of each area of London were especially tasty.

Surprisingly, even though I'm very curious and often conflicted about my choices in FL, this time I felt the relationship between the characters was such that I knew immediately how to react, and I made my choice without any regret.

Thank you for this lovely story, it was a great reading and a very good play. Also, I'm happy to know this is part of a "season" !

--
Went NORTH. Got salted. Never came back. We won't remember him.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Emain%20Ablach
+4 link
Juno
Juno

2/25/2016
"The children of the Harassed Mother would welcome entertainment."

And on that ominous note...

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Etheridge

An author by trade, available for talks both public and private.
+4 link
Ruddertail
Ruddertail

2/25/2016
This was great. A lengthy chunk of mysteries with plenty to explore, and 0-ACTION DIALOGUE HALLELUJAH.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Ruddertail
+4 link
Leumas
Leumas

2/26/2016
I just wanted to chime in and say that I also thought this month's story was amazing. The variety of mechanics, and the bits and pieces spread out across so many different areas were lovely. I've only been subscribed for a short time, but this alone makes it feel totally worth it. Now I'm thinking I'll have to go back and slowly buy up the old fate-locked stuff as well.
edited by Leumas on 2/26/2016
+4 link
ashdenej
ashdenej

2/26/2016
Discounting Flint with its distinct multipart advantage, this is the best Exceptional Story so far. Optional side bits, extra snippets for players with certain items, good use of systems already in place... and a compelling story, of course! It felt meaty. Fantastic work.

--
+4 link
Emain Ablach
Emain Ablach

2/28/2016
As I see it, this story is about desires, relationships and the lives of servants in Fallen London. And love, of course. It's always about love. Any kind of love.

--

+4 link
Shadowcthuhlu
Shadowcthuhlu

2/28/2016
I liked this story. It wasn't as intense as the previous ones and allowed us to investigate a more mundane but frequently overlooked part of Fallen London. Just because there are cosmic mysteries everywhere, doesn't mean that normal human ambitions and dreams are stopped.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
+4 link
Miranda Zero
Miranda Zero

2/27/2016
I registered for the forums just to say how much I enjoyed playing this one. With its multiple locations and uses of various items, it really felt well-integrated into the universe. The characters were sympathetic, and that "the children would appreciate entertainment now" occurrence was like a tolling of a bell of doom. Zero-action dialogue really helps add atmosphere. The single plot niggle I had was that it wasn't entirely clear to me why there was a particular demand for the services of the institution encountered. Why would people care to pay for what they had to offer?

My only regret is that I apparently didn't pick up every bit of story in the city. And I neeeeeed to know what happens if you deliver the letter.
+4 link
Anne Auclair
Anne Auclair

2/26/2016
Nanako wrote:

[spoiler]Well, the secret servant staffing/relocating agency is kind of a big and very consequential secret, when you consider the ubiquity of servants in Victorian London.[/spoiler]
edited by Anne Auclair on 2/27/2016

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
+4 link
KShep
KShep

3/13/2016
I too have to say that this one of, if not the, best Exceptional Stories I've had the pleasure of playing. It was truly exceptional -- I loved how meaty it felt, the multiple stages and the whole treasure hunting feel of traveling London was fantastic, and I love the inclusion of the flash lay scheme, I feel that that worked wonderfully. I also greatly appreciated the conversation costing 0 actions, that made my life so much easier, I could make sure I got all the answers I could without wasting extra actions.

And I adored those children. Those devilish little hellspawn. I chose to [spoiler]tell the truth in a child-friendly way and delivered the letter to the Governess at the end[/spoiler] and I'm glad I did. I was just wondering, I lost the Grudging Respect of the Children by taking my final action, and I was just wondering if this happens if you steam the letter open? I like the thought of remaining on good terms with those little brats.(Someone compared them to a malicious version of the Baudelaire children, and I loved that comparison!)

Overall, wonderful, wonderful job. I have such high hopes for the rest of this season!
edited by KShep on 3/13/2016

--
K. Shepard: a Shepherd of Souls and Monster Hunter; a former Urchin with a gang of her own; a tactless but good-hearted individual who won't hesitate to commit crimes for the sake of securing justice.
+4 link

3/3/2016
Kittenpox wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Robin and Dubinee...

Very wise of you! Agreeing with me makes you smarter and more sexually attractive smile
+4 link
Crater
Crater

3/2/2016
The Duke of Waltham wrote:

Hannah Flynn wrote:

Do you realise how this felt? DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT TO US AGAIN!

That sound you hear is my giggling as I hear Dustin Hoffman's voice echoing in my brain..."What are you, some kind of a sadist? Don't ever do that to me again."

This story gave a richness to the everyday existence of London and I have to admit, it would never occur to me that there are people who would firmly ignore the fact that the city has fallen and raise their children following that belief. The illusions we choose for ourselves.

I only wish I hadn't opened the letter.

[spoiler] I truly believed the former governess had viewed her experience with the family as just that: an experience. I misread her fondness for the eldest and prevented a fruitful and ultimately happier ending in the hopes of saving a letter that I felt would have wound up on the fire. Perhaps I'm becoming more cynical in my old age.[/spoiler]

It will be very interesting to see how the agency folds itself into the workings of London and what new tales might coalesce in its files. I hope I might be given the opportunity to make amends for bluffing the Proprietor. Perhaps a pro bono assignment to validate the credentials of a hopeful candidate...

Ms. Short, you write superbly and your wink towards Nuncio at the end was the cherry on a very tasty narrative. Thank you and long may you write.

--
Enigmas burn, but truth flares. One day, a truth shall flare upon us all.
+3 link
Emain Ablach
Emain Ablach

2/27/2016
[spoiler]The poor starveling cat didn't see this coming... but I guess that, of all your means, it was the only one able to retaliate and wound the little devils a little bit. And the story you tell them, of course.
But I didn't think anything could ever get the better of the cat, or even be on par with it. Congrats to these kids, they're real monsters. Probably future psychopaths as well.[/spoiler]
edited by Emain Ablach on 2/27/2016

--

+3 link
Dinjoralo
Dinjoralo

2/27/2016
I'm waiting on the opportunity card to finish things off, but I had a while of a time with this. I like things that focus on simple mundanity, rather than constantly having ludicrously high stakes all the time, and it feels at home in London. Everything added to the eldritch nature of the world and how that tied into the lower class of the world, which is wonderful.

It's ace, gentlemen. It's top bloody notch.

--
Dinjoralo, a secretive gentleman who does whatever he fancies. Particularly loves the warmth of Hell's finest. Finds entertainment in watching flawed people live their banal, meaningless lives, while bizarre things happen around them.
+3 link
Lamia Lawless
Lamia Lawless

2/27/2016
I really enjoyed this story. I feel like I was deliberately given an opportunity to see "behind the scenes" of Fallen London when it came to talking to servants: Who cleans the mirrors at Mrs. Plenty's carnival? What's it like to work in a honey den? What's it like to work in the Shuttered Palace?

What horrifying forms would Victorian contempt for the servant class take in a city where death is temporary, and do the revolutionaries- who more often use the awful conditions of the poor as a fiery talking point- do anything to help?

I liked this story because it showed us what life in London is like for people who are not Of Importance. I think my player character, who could easily have ended up a servant, needed the reminder.

I also sense foreshadowing!

[spoiler]I'm wondering if the eldest child might become a future member of the Calendar Council. I don't have a solid reason to believe that, other than revolutionaries end up being a part of the story, and the eldest mentions something about building bombs.

By the way, did anyone choose to answer the family in a child-friendly way, and get the letter for the governess... and open it? I delivered it directly, but now I'm curious about what it might have said.[/spoiler]
edited by Lamea Lawless on 2/27/2016

--
The Harmonic Hellfarer
+3 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

2/29/2016
Lomias wrote:
By the way I find my comments tends to receive thumbs down when I judge Exceptional Stories (even though I recommend them). I guess people just love FBG so much that they lose their sense to judge neutrally.

Lomias, I don't feel this thread is the best place to respond to your comment (and attached rage-comic), nor do I have an interest in doing so.
But if you feel that being down-voted is something you take personal issue with, perhaps the browser mod linked on http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21824-user-style-disable-forum-rating-system.aspx may be of use to you.
edited by Kittenpox on 2/29/2016

--
Kittenpox
-
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+3 link
Emain Ablach
Emain Ablach

2/29/2016
Alexander Feld wrote:

I think it may be entirely possible that other people just have different opinions from you. It is something people tend to do.

(...) not to mention the crowds of people willing to throw themselves down wells for no good reason.

I laughed hard, thank you for this Alexander ! It was very well phrased, both funny and delicate.

Lomias, as someone who downvoted you, I can say I did it because I disagreed with your cons. But I find it nice and interesting that you listed what are, to you, the pros and cons of this story. It's not against you nor to fiercely protect FBG honor in a duel, it was just to show that I didn't share your views. I do the same with green thumbs. Just a way of saying "Hey, I think the same !" or "Hey, I disagree with you !".

--

+3 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

2/29/2016
It's worth noting that, despite his "cons" Lomias rated "The Frequently Deceased" at 8.5 out of 10.

Personally, I liked the longish Flash Lay style Investigation. Lomias thought that aspect damaged the pace of the story, but I felt it made the experience of playing through the story more realistic. It was more like what the character might experience on a real investigation in Fallen London, in my opinion.
edited by cathyr19355 on 2/29/2016

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+3 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

2/26/2016
I'm now awaiting the Opportunity card. I really liked the mechanism of having to do storylets all over London to interact with servants all over London. And the final Flash Lay was fun.

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
+3 link
paradoxically
paradoxically

2/26/2016
Really enjoyed this story! Though I botched the end a bit. After all that waiting for the opportunity card, I ought to have read it more carefully... was hoping that [spoiler] I'd be able to both steam the card open, then reseal it and deliver...alas, curiosity won out.[/spoiler]
edited by paradoxically on 2/26/2016

--
Nim of the Neath: Dancing the Liberation of the Night
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/nimmylass
+3 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

2/26/2016
Has anybody gotten the bonus mentioned in the Bazaar Side-streets storylet? I've been playing that option for most of the night without any luck so far, so I'm tempted to just move on with the story and maybe try again with Delmar later.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
+3 link
Dirk McTaggart
Dirk McTaggart

2/26/2016
Robin Mask wrote:
Just wanted to say this is possibly my favourite story to date, even more so than "Flint" smile I adored the mixture of gameplay elements, as well as how the story felt divided into three acts, and the story itself was superb . . . the characters were complex and easy to become invested in, while the overall rewards felt fantastic (I very much value one item in particular, which can be frustrating to get otherwise).

This sums up my feelings perfectly smile An outstanding story, to say the least.

Bravo!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Dirk~McTaggart
+3 link
Azuregosa
Azuregosa

2/26/2016
That's a very good one, I enjoyed that. It feels like a long one (probably because it is really long or just because it sends you to many locations).

But I had a big problem with the "flash lay" part. Not being a native speaker, I cannot translate "flash lay" and "mark" properly. There are dozens of meanings for "flash", "lay", and "mark", I have no idea which is right here. So I did not really understand what I was doing in that part, it looked like a set of random actions that were not related to each other or to the exceptional story but somehow gave progress. Can anyone explain this part to me? I should note that my English is fluent and normally I do not have any problems with translation, it is the first time in the game something was not clear to me.
+3 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

2/26/2016
A "lay" is a (criminal) enterprise. "Flash" can mean "knowing" as an adjective, but here means "involving thieves and prostitutes". The "mark" is the proposed victim.

Project Gutenberg has the 1811 Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue, by Francis Grose, which you may find helpful for this kind of thing. (The author Georgette Heyer discovered it halfway through her writing career and its effect was immediately noticeable in her next book. However, Jermion is too embarrassed to say more.)
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/5402
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Jermion

--
No plant battles, please.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jermion
+2 link
Emain Ablach
Emain Ablach

2/25/2016
I did. It hurts. x)
edit : I didn't lose the toy, don't worry.
edit2 : I used the Broken Toy, was there an Exquisite Toy ?

I didn't finish the story yet, but I can say this : I like the texts very much (so much that I'm trying to get all the possible texts), and I'm glad you have opportunies all around London !
edited by Emain Ablach on 2/25/2016

--

+2 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

2/26/2016
This was Jermion's first exceptional story and he was most impressed.

A spiffing mix of humour and comedy with a touch of horror. He took special delight in reading blood-curdling tales to the brats and engaging their attention with his broken toys. Hah! Not sure he'll ever forgive the scarab affair, however.

--
+2 link
babelfishwars
babelfishwars
Administrator

3/1/2016
The Duke of Waltham wrote:

I'm shocked how loudly I laughed. Took myself by surprise.
edited by babelfishwars on 3/1/2016

--
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
+2 link
James Sinclair
James Sinclair

3/1/2016
I just finished this story, and enjoyed it immensely. This one was slower-paced and more drawn-out than some of the previous Exceptional Stories, and I liked being able to take my time with the different stages of the investigation around London, the conversational trees, the flash lay, and playing with the kids. It was also very interesting to see Fallen London from the point of view of domestic servants, like a deliciously twisted version of Downton Abbey (and now I'm imagining Downton Abbey set in Fallen London. Oh how hilariously awesome that would be...)

Personally, I rank this as one of the best Exceptional Stories so far, on par with Lost in Reflections and Flint part 2. Bravo to the not-recently-deceased (receased? undeceased? ceased?) Emily Short. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Family Ties stories, especially if they have a combined wrap-up story the way Season of Blood did.

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
Kirr
Kirr

2/28/2016
Emily Short! I was coming here to say how much I was enjoying the story and now I'm entirely unsurprised - I'm not very deep into the world of Interactive Fiction but that is the one name I do know. Loved the Atlantis word-gun game.
+2 link
dov
dov

2/28/2016
nightday wrote:
I'm confused about the Flash Lay part. I got my progress up to 75, but I didn't see an option to actually FINISH it anywhere. I thought that I would get some opportunity card with an option to exit, but then my suspicion went too high and I got booted out, so now I have to do it all over again. What am I missing?

See this recent clarification from Chris:
http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21842-a-flash-lay-some-revisions.aspx#post132928

Basically, when your Progress reaches 75 you can complete the Flash Lay by playing the right card.
But if you're unlucky and don't have that card, then the Flash Lay will automatically end when your Progress reaches 100.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
Dinjoralo
Dinjoralo

2/26/2016
There's an option to show the kids to your starveling cat....
Yes! YES!!
I am having an absolute ball with this story. Lots to see looking around London, very active, and it's showing a lot about places like The Shuttered Palace.

--
Dinjoralo, a secretive gentleman who does whatever he fancies. Particularly loves the warmth of Hell's finest. Finds entertainment in watching flawed people live their banal, meaningless lives, while bizarre things happen around them.
+2 link
dov
dov

3/31/2016
No, shifting the story to the HoC is not enough - this option is available to all players, not only to Exceptional Friends.

You need to at least start the HoC part of the story. This is different each month. Sometimes a single action is enough. Sometimes you need to go through a whole conversation there. The game usually tells you, though (at some point it might tell you that you can complete the story at your own pace from now on or something similar).

----
edited by dov on 3/31/2016

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link
The Duke of Waltham
The Duke of Waltham

4/6/2016
It took me a while to notice that it's not London Bridge that is falling down... Nice detail, there.

Miranda Zero wrote:
The single plot niggle I had was that it wasn't entirely clear to me why there was a particular demand for the services of the institution encountered. Why would people care to pay for what they had to offer?

I thought that was addressed: "total discretion and loyalty"...

Toran wrote:
I deeply regret not having realized it was possible to get playing with the Children to 10, I wanted those endings.

Well, the quality goes up to 5, and only the final branch where they confide in you takes it up to 10; until then, though, you can play the other branches as many times as you want, provided that you unlock Leisure of Children each time first.

Ian Hart wrote:
Is "katabatist" a term one might know from real life, or is it purely a Fallen London thing?

It sounds oddly Japanese, doesn't it? It's probably Greek, though; κατάβασις (katabasis) means "descent", so katabatist could be someone who descends, perhaps in caves or the underworld. That said, I've never seen the word before, and I'm not entirely sure it exists. Morphologically (to my Modern-Greek ears, at least), καταβάτης (katabates) would make more sense, and could be the opposite of αναβάτης (anabates, "climber", "rider") and a cognate of ορειβάτης (oreibates, "mountain-climber"). In this sense, katabatist sounds more like a profession than anything, perhaps deliberately so.

Danko wrote:
Did anyone list all possible items to interact with the children? I've just used my Watchful Doll and got some very interesting text and information.
It also has a watchful check but since its always 100% straightforward for me I can't check the failure text upset

I had no Watchful Doll or Exquisite Toy (or Hand of Glory!), but the rest of the options were as you list them. I was amused with the prisoners branch, considering that I had to purchase the manacles and leg irons for the first time since coming to London. Their insignificant cost now makes for a huge contrast with the apparent value of the (even less) money I received when I sold them after my escape.

On the matter of failures, I've done my best to record them, but as with every Exceptional Story some of them were unreachable for me. I had none with the children; for others, my record of this story begins here. At the moment I'm actively searching for those I've missed, to fill in the gaps. I've also neglected to note down the precise text and requirements of the branch "A Development: Did she have ambitions?", so if anyone has it, a PM would be most welcome.

EDIT: This is interesting... I avoided obstacles in the Flash Lay so I didn't see it, but it appears to have been a card custom-made for the Exceptional Story.
edited by The Duke of Waltham on 4/6/2016

--
The Duke of Waltham welcomes requests for assistance from those troubled by menaces, and His Grace's townhouse is always open to visitors who will not attempt to steal the silverware or extract support for yet another ill-advised scheme concerning photographers.

H. Cartwright, secretary.
+2 link
Absintheuse
Absintheuse

6/9/2016
The Frequently Deceased is now available for Fate!
+2 link
Corran
Corran

3/3/2016
Dubinee Finnat wrote:

Very wise of you! Agreeing with me makes you smarter and more sexually attractive smile

To you or everyone? wink

--
My Fallen London profile
+2 link
Kirr
Kirr

3/5/2016
I also want to add my voice to those saying it was a nice change of pace. Though Fallen London is quite heavily gothic horror-themed, I'm not one for lots of gore, body horror and eating the results of the above (SMEN an honourable exception). It says great this about Fallen London that I love it even though those aren't personal favourites of mine, but it's also really nice to have a change of pace with this kind of story. Thank you!
+2 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

3/8/2016
Corran wrote:
Dubinee Finnat wrote:

To you or everyone? wink

*shrugs* :-)

--
Kittenpox
-
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+2 link
NiteBrite
NiteBrite

3/14/2016
genesis wrote:
Has anyone come across the option with the Children where they set a "Fairy Princess" on fire? I found it by googling but I haven't been able to think of what might be required to unlock it.

[spoiler]Hand of glory[/spoiler]

--
I AM currently accepting calling cards.
Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
[00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
+2 link
Danko
Danko

3/29/2016
/slowpoke

Did anyone list all possible items to interact with the children? I've just used my Watchful Doll and got some very interesting text and information.
It also has a watchful check but since its always 100% straightforward for me I can't check the failure text upset

I think there might be more hidden options.

The ones I've found for now:
*Play as criminals (Airs >50)
*Play as pirates (Airs 50<wink
*Watchful Doll (Fate-locked)
*Starveling Cat
*Broken Toy
*Scarab
*Talkative Rattus Fabber
*Unearthly Fossil
*Enthralling book

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Danko
+2 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

3/29/2016
Also the Exquisite Toy, which fortunately didn't suffer the fate of the scarab. (Yeah, that still rankles. Now I can't used it to advance ... never mind.)

--
+2 link
Gonen
Gonen

3/31/2016
I thought one needs to just shift the story to the House of Chimes by selecting only one option from the introduction (1 action) to save the story fot later use.
Did not realize one must complete the story at House of Chimes to save it. Is that the case?

--

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
+1 link
dov
dov

3/31/2016
Indeed. This is the mechanism used to ensure this story is available only to Exceptional Friends

The starter storylet is visible to all players. But only Exceptional Friends can enter the House of Chimes to continue the story there. So you need to make at least some progress in the House of Chimes part of the story in order to activate it.

--
+1 link
Fadewalker
Fadewalker

12/23/2016
It might be a little late but I'd say I thoroughly enjoy this story. Good writing scented with 19th British flavour, hidden in all the different mechanics. That Governess slightly reminds me of Becky in Vanity Fair; I dislike her, but I can't dislike her. And so do those brutal and innocent children.

BTW, anyone noted down the "A comforting lie" option at the end? Or giving the blood money to the Governess? I will very appreciate if you can PM me with any of those, thank you!
edited by Fadewalker on 12/23/2016

--
A fervent supporter of the Council and the Masters.
+1 link
Parelle
Parelle

2/26/2016
Has anyone else seen Nanny McPhee?
https://youtu.be/2wxtZPI5kRo

--
Parelle, Lady Joseph Marlen. The Singular Librarian. A Midnighter, a Player of the Marvelous.
pages from a dusty bookshop: a badly updated FL changelog | Useful Guidance and Explanations
+1 link
Lady Red
Lady Red

2/26/2016
I think this was my favourite exceptional story so far smile A great length, lots to do, with a fun and interesting plot. Perfect story pacing too, and the end wasn't rushed. Thanks!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
+1 link

2/26/2016
I am whizzing around London trying to find all the opportunities and it's quite exciting! I have to say that I'm especially surprised to find out that I apparently have servants now. Whoops. Anyone know if there are opportunities in more obscure locations like Flute Street or menace areas? I'm guessing there probably aren't any chilling with the boatman, but the Royal Beth/Tomb Colonies seem plausible enough.
+1 link
al2o3cr
al2o3cr

2/26/2016
Appreciate the very subtle shoutout to Nuncio on the final storylet. smile
  • +1 link
    Anne Auclair
    Anne Auclair

2/26/2016
    Nanako wrote:
    Personally, i just did my best to murder them by setting the starveling cat on them. They had that coming. I got bored of the children rather quickly when it became clear they were predestined to trump anything you use on them, and be even more annoying little brats in the process. So i eventually gave up on them

You can really set the Starvling Cat on them?

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Anne%20Auclair
    +1 link
    Hobnail
    Hobnail

2/27/2016
    You know, ol' MN is a bit esoteric for the work these days, but there was a time when my character would have loved and been EXCEPTIONALLY qualified for a position with the Triple Orpheus...

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hobnail
    +1 link
    dragonridingsorceress
    dragonridingsorceress

2/27/2016
    Great story.

--
    DragonRidingSorceress is an Author of good standing. Mostly good standing. She's happy to accept any social action except Photographer and Loitering, but requests warnings before duping/poisoning/etc.

Seeker of Names is a... being with an obsession. They're willing to accept all invitations.
    One who seeks to know all that is and may be. One who dances in the silence of the void. One whose fantasies make the reality come alive.
    +1 link
    Kolanowski
    Kolanowski

2/27/2016
    Just finished it. The Exceptional Stories are getting better and better! And I gotta say, I *really* enjoyed the rewards for this one wink

--
    Kazimierz Kolanowski, gentleman, scholar, humble servant of the Maw. Chaotic Evil. Open to all social actions & accepting almost all requests. Might sell you to Satan for a single corn chip.
    +1 link
    Gonen
    Gonen

3/1/2016
    an_ocelot wrote:
    Gonen wrote:
    Is there any option which does not change quirks? Am I to evade every EF from now on?
    I imagine you could just keep that card in your hand (it's only the ending card)? Or pick one that's already way over cap? (Or accept that this is how it's going to be in the future, as probably I should've?)

Not being able to finish the story is... unsatisfying.
    And my goal is to keep quirks at 15, so even damaging that is sometimes irreversible (since correcting that via connection items damages other quirks etc.). But... that is my choice and the constrictions I took upon myself. Mmm... upset

--

+1 link
    Miranda Zero
    Miranda Zero

2/28/2016
    Zeroebbasta wrote:
    aertew wrote:
    I choose to give the truth for the children, but has anyone chosen the harsh lie option?
    I did! Here is the echo. In exchange, does anyone have the letter's content?

Here is the letter's content.
    +1 link
    Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
    Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

2/29/2016
    That was great. My echoes start here (with a brief interruption for the conclusion of the Surgeon's Child).

Did anyone echo telling them the truth?

--
    Social Actions: send them to Kade Carrion (she/her; no Tournament of Lilies, please). an_ocelot has gone NORTH and cannot benefit from social actions!

Possibly-Useful Things: Spreadsheets and hints and link collections, oh my.
    +1 link
    Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
    Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)

3/1/2016
    Ewan C. wrote:
    I loved this story.

But. PLEASE PLEASE, when a choice says "this will increase Steadfast" and I pick it on that basis, LET ME KNOW AHEAD OF TIME that it won't actually - because I'm already at 12 - and will in fact reduce my carefully-hoarded Ruthless. That really made me bitter.
    Thank you for the warning; I'll take the money and run.

EDIT: . . . which ALSO drops Steadfast while increasing Ruthless (I'm not capped in that). Figures.
    edited by an_ocelot on 3/1/2016

--
    Social Actions: send them to Kade Carrion (she/her; no Tournament of Lilies, please). an_ocelot has gone NORTH and cannot benefit from social actions!

Possibly-Useful Things: Spreadsheets and hints and link collections, oh my.
    +1 link
    Ewan C.
    Ewan C.

2/28/2016
    I loved this story.

But. PLEASE PLEASE, when a choice says "this will increase Steadfast" and I pick it on that basis, LET ME KNOW AHEAD OF TIME that it won't actually - because I'm already at 12 - and will in fact reduce my carefully-hoarded Ruthless. That really made me bitter.
    +1 link
    Gonen
    Gonen

2/28/2016
    Ewan C. wrote:
    I loved this story.

Does any choice increase quirks above 10?

--

+1 link

2/29/2016
    I echo all of the praise that has been given. Stands out as one of my very favourites, both in terms of content and mechanics (lovely length too).

I just have a tiny bit of personal input: I'm essentially on an, uh, extended sabbatical at the moment, in that I really only log in once a month to play the Exceptional Story. For this reason, having the conclusion/epilogue in an opportunity card is inconvenient, as I can't just wrap up the story but will have to log in to flip cards until I get it. Of course I don't think you should have to design your game around the people who barely play it haha; I'm just used to the Exceptionals being very self-contained and amenable to my way of playing. Just thought I'd give it a mention. Again, an excellent experience!
    edited by Corprustie on 2/29/2016
    +1 link
    Shweees
    Shweees

2/26/2016
    Is there anybody who's echo'd the results of the decision they made at the end? I found myself really invested in this month's story and am quite curious to know how things might have turned out if I had made a different choice.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/shweees
    +1 link
    Rackenhammer
    Rackenhammer

2/26/2016
    I have echoed the choice to steam open the letter. My main motivation was curiosity, but I feel that I regret breaking that trust. Which means that this was a very immersive story! Kudos to Emily Short.

--
    "DO NOT TRUST HAPPY ENDINGS. DO NOT FEAR SAD ENDINGS... NEITHER ARE ENDINGS."
    ~
    Mathieu Psmith: The Bard of Lost Children, loving husband, and a fixture of the artistic set. Can never resist making a show of things...

Irene Psmith: Adopted Daughter of Mathieu. Specializes in Information, Acquisitions, and the Acquisition of Information.

Vaughan Montblanc: Once a frontiersman of Western Canada, he now practices medicine in London. His discretion may be absolutely trusted.
    +1 link
    Dante Kinkade
    Dante Kinkade

2/25/2016
    I echoed all the ones I could get, though I lack an exquisite toy so I couldn't play with the children with it. There is also an option if you have a Watchful Doll that gives some interesting information.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/dante~kinkade
    +1 link
    Juno
    Juno

2/26/2016
    I quite liked this month's story.

The final choice was quite agonising, though. I quite want to know what would have resulted if I admitted to the governess that my primary motivation was curiosity...

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Etheridge

An author by trade, available for talks both public and private.
    +1 link
    suinicide
    suinicide

2/26/2016
    Zantumall wrote:
    The way I resolved the story told me that I should wait for an opportunity card for the conclusion. Has anyone had this result and then actually received the card? I've flipped about 30 cards since and not seen it, I assumed it'd be high-frequency.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/suinicide?fromEchoId=7952993

Here's a link to my choice from the card. (Rewards behind spoiler) [spoiler] The only rewards are quirks. (But not past 10, which was disappointing) [/spoiler]

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/suinicide?fromEchoId=7950647

And here's a link to succeeding by admitting this was all for your own curiosity.
    edited by suinicide on 2/26/2016

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/profile/sunnytime
    A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
    RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
    +1 link
    Gilphon
    Gilphon

2/26/2016
    yetanotherone wrote:

I tried reading both collated research and a compromising document to the little horrors, and they gave the same (hilarious) response you can see in Ancient Drunkard's journal in link below.

I am not going to risk my one intriguer's compendium, and that's only 4 'enthralling' compared to 5 from the research anyway.

I tried Proscribed Material, and got that result. So I think it's safe to assume it doesn't matter which item you use. Which is good- I'd hate to have to sacrifice my Political Satire to the brats.

Still an interesting new mechanic, even if there's not a good reason to use anything other than Proscribed Materials at the moment.

• edited by Gilphon on 2/26/2016

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Gilphon
  • +1 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

2/26/2016
    That was a top-notch story. Really marvellous.

[spoiler]I have only one trifling emotional thread left hanging: that I couldn't warn the Proprietor that his goodwill has been taken advantage of at least once. He runs a fine institution and it seems a shame that these loopholes leave its services at the mercy of others' ambitions.[/spoiler]

--
    Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +1 link
    Remedan
    Remedan

2/25/2016
    I haven't read much IF but I know anything bearing Emily Short's name is going to be great.

--
    My Neathly Alter Ego -- Still trying to make some sense of it all.
    +1 link
    aertew
    aertew

2/25/2016
    Has anybody tried giving the children the exquisite toy? I'm curious about the results but I'm not sure if it'll survive.

--
    +1 link
    Estelle Knoht
    Estelle Knoht

2/26/2016
    Azuregosa wrote:
    That's a very good one, I enjoyed that. It feels like a long one (probably because it is really long or just because it sends you to many locations).

But I had a big problem with the "flash lay" part. Not being a native speaker, I cannot translate "flash lay" and "mark" properly. There are dozens of meanings for "flash", "lay", and "mark", I have no idea which is right here. So I did not really understand what I was doing in that part, it looked like a set of random actions that were not related to each other or to the exceptional story but somehow gave progress. Can anyone explain this part to me? I should note that my English is fluent and normally I do not have any problems with translation, it is the first time in the game something was not clear to me.

There are generic Flash Lays you can try at Veilgarden - in fact, if you go to Veilgarden, the option for Flash Lay literally call it a confidence trick.

For this particular story, you are playing a confidence trick on the Proprietor, convincing him that you are hiring a servant for someone so important that you want direct access to their data instead of just getting recommendation.

Also I'd like to voice my appreciation that conversation here does not cost actions - it makes for a much smoother experience.

Catherine Raymond wrote:
    I'm now awaiting the Opportunity card. I really liked the mechanism of having to do storylets all over London to interact with servants all over London. And the final Flash Lay was fun.

Yeah, that too. Especially with how you can use so many things you may or may not have with the children and servants.
    edited by Estelle Knoht on 2/26/2016

--
    Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
    I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
    +1 link
    Azuregosa
    Azuregosa

2/26/2016
    Oh thanks for the explanations, now that part of the story makes sense!
    +1 link
    Lacunae
    Lacunae

2/26/2016
    At the epilogue of the story, there is an option simply called "reset this story". The description text is "reset", and it needs a Key of Dreams. Is that meant to be there?

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lacunae
    +1 link
    Zack Oak
    Zack Oak

2/26/2016
    Oh man. This one has been amazing for worldbuilding, and I can't wait for the final card!

--
    Roland Banning, The Ambitious Operative (Profile)
    Tumblr RP Account
    Ask me about the Delicious Friends RP group!
    Open for social actions (no cats or photographers, please. Currently taking a break from K&C.)
    +1 link
    Ian Hart
    Ian Hart

2/26/2016
    An excellent story so far (I just finished the Flash Lay.)

Is "katabatist" a term one might know from real life, or is it purely a Fallen London thing?

Edit: Done now. Absolutely fantastic.
    edited by Ian Hart on 2/26/2016

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Antifinity
    +1 link