Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

March Exceptional Story: The Frequently Deceased Messages in this topic - RSS

Gonen
Gonen

3/31/2016
dov wrote:
No, shifting the story to the HoC is not enough - this option is available to all players, not only to Exceptional Friends.

You need to at least start the HoC part of the story. This is different each month. Sometimes a single action is enough. Sometimes you need to go through a whole conversation there. The game usually tells you, though (at some point it might tell you that you can complete the story at your own pace from now on or something similar).

Huh. Thank you. I now see the instructions at the forum in a different light.
You probably saved a future EF story of mine.

--
The Ashen Anesthesiologist - Paramount Londoner

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

The long journey to eccentricity:
On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
0 link
The Duke of Waltham
The Duke of Waltham

3/31/2016
dov wrote:
Sometimes a single action is enough. Sometimes you need to go through a whole conversation there. The game usually tells you, though (at some point it might tell you that you can complete the story at your own pace from now on or something similar).

Which exceptional story one may begin playing is determined by the value of the quality "An Episode for Exceptional Friends", so at some point there has to be an action result that will change this quality, and that will ordinarily appear as the meta-message "You have unlocked [month]'s Exceptional Story! You may play it at your leisure." At that point one should also acquire another quality that will allow one to continue playing this particular story in the future, irrespective of any others, leaving "An Episode for Exceptional Friends" free to be used again for the unlocking of next month's story.
edited by The Duke of Waltham on 3/31/2016

--
The Duke of Waltham welcomes requests for assistance from those troubled by menaces, and His Grace's townhouse is always open to visitors who will not attempt to steal the silverware or extract support for yet another ill-advised scheme concerning photographers.

H. Cartwright, secretary.
0 link
The Duke of Waltham
The Duke of Waltham

4/6/2016
It took me a while to notice that it's not London Bridge that is falling down... Nice detail, there.

Miranda Zero wrote:
The single plot niggle I had was that it wasn't entirely clear to me why there was a particular demand for the services of the institution encountered. Why would people care to pay for what they had to offer?

I thought that was addressed: "total discretion and loyalty"...

Toran wrote:
I deeply regret not having realized it was possible to get playing with the Children to 10, I wanted those endings.

Well, the quality goes up to 5, and only the final branch where they confide in you takes it up to 10; until then, though, you can play the other branches as many times as you want, provided that you unlock Leisure of Children each time first.

Ian Hart wrote:
Is "katabatist" a term one might know from real life, or is it purely a Fallen London thing?

It sounds oddly Japanese, doesn't it? It's probably Greek, though; κατάβασις (katabasis) means "descent", so katabatist could be someone who descends, perhaps in caves or the underworld. That said, I've never seen the word before, and I'm not entirely sure it exists. Morphologically (to my Modern-Greek ears, at least), καταβάτης (katabates) would make more sense, and could be the opposite of αναβάτης (anabates, "climber", "rider") and a cognate of ορειβάτης (oreibates, "mountain-climber"). In this sense, katabatist sounds more like a profession than anything, perhaps deliberately so.

Danko wrote:
Did anyone list all possible items to interact with the children? I've just used my Watchful Doll and got some very interesting text and information.
It also has a watchful check but since its always 100% straightforward for me I can't check the failure text upset

I had no Watchful Doll or Exquisite Toy (or Hand of Glory!), but the rest of the options were as you list them. I was amused with the prisoners branch, considering that I had to purchase the manacles and leg irons for the first time since coming to London. Their insignificant cost now makes for a huge contrast with the apparent value of the (even less) money I received when I sold them after my escape.

On the matter of failures, I've done my best to record them, but as with every Exceptional Story some of them were unreachable for me. I had none with the children; for others, my record of this story begins here. At the moment I'm actively searching for those I've missed, to fill in the gaps. I've also neglected to note down the precise text and requirements of the branch "A Development: Did she have ambitions?", so if anyone has it, a PM would be most welcome.

EDIT: This is interesting... I avoided obstacles in the Flash Lay so I didn't see it, but it appears to have been a card custom-made for the Exceptional Story.
edited by The Duke of Waltham on 4/6/2016

--
The Duke of Waltham welcomes requests for assistance from those troubled by menaces, and His Grace's townhouse is always open to visitors who will not attempt to steal the silverware or extract support for yet another ill-advised scheme concerning photographers.

H. Cartwright, secretary.
+2 link
Absintheuse
Absintheuse

6/9/2016
The Frequently Deceased is now available for Fate!
+2 link
Fadewalker
Fadewalker

12/23/2016
It might be a little late but I'd say I thoroughly enjoy this story. Good writing scented with 19th British flavour, hidden in all the different mechanics. That Governess slightly reminds me of Becky in Vanity Fair; I dislike her, but I can't dislike her. And so do those brutal and innocent children.

BTW, anyone noted down the "A comforting lie" option at the end? Or giving the blood money to the Governess? I will very appreciate if you can PM me with any of those, thank you!
edited by Fadewalker on 12/23/2016

--
A fervent supporter of the Council and the Masters.
+1 link
Aodyssey
Aodyssey

12/24/2016
It's irresponsible of her to utilizes the Children for her own gains, but no more or less improper than what anyone else does. These kinds of stories make it harder for me to RP a properly ruthless lady, however.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Aoditor - a frequently moral upholder of standards, possessing mysterious and indistinct qualities; countenance; loyalties. Promoted from Pawn to Knight piece of the Great Game.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Char_name - a lady from across the Zee, advocate of Khaganian supremacy. Trying to be cruel. Under the generous auspices of the ever estimable Sam Stephens, an Extraordinary Mind.
0 link