Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

March Exceptional Story: The Frequently Deceased Messages in this topic - RSS

James Sinclair
James Sinclair

3/1/2016
I just finished this story, and enjoyed it immensely. This one was slower-paced and more drawn-out than some of the previous Exceptional Stories, and I liked being able to take my time with the different stages of the investigation around London, the conversational trees, the flash lay, and playing with the kids. It was also very interesting to see Fallen London from the point of view of domestic servants, like a deliciously twisted version of Downton Abbey (and now I'm imagining Downton Abbey set in Fallen London. Oh how hilariously awesome that would be...)

Personally, I rank this as one of the best Exceptional Stories so far, on par with Lost in Reflections and Flint part 2. Bravo to the not-recently-deceased (receased? undeceased? ceased?) Emily Short. I'm looking forward to the rest of the Family Ties stories, especially if they have a combined wrap-up story the way Season of Blood did.

--
James Sinclair

Curator of the Sanguine Ribbon Society 🗡

A fully-fledged rêveur of The Night Circus.

Wines is red
Spices is yellow
But old Jack-of-Smiles
Is a murderous fellow
+2 link
Crater
Crater

3/2/2016
The Duke of Waltham wrote:

Hannah Flynn wrote:
the recently deceased Emily Short.

Do you realise how this felt? DON'T YOU EVER DO THAT TO US AGAIN!

That sound you hear is my giggling as I hear Dustin Hoffman's voice echoing in my brain..."What are you, some kind of a sadist? Don't ever do that to me again."

This story gave a richness to the everyday existence of London and I have to admit, it would never occur to me that there are people who would firmly ignore the fact that the city has fallen and raise their children following that belief. The illusions we choose for ourselves.

I only wish I hadn't opened the letter.

[spoiler] I truly believed the former governess had viewed her experience with the family as just that: an experience. I misread her fondness for the eldest and prevented a fruitful and ultimately happier ending in the hopes of saving a letter that I felt would have wound up on the fire. Perhaps I'm becoming more cynical in my old age.[/spoiler]

It will be very interesting to see how the agency folds itself into the workings of London and what new tales might coalesce in its files. I hope I might be given the opportunity to make amends for bluffing the Proprietor. Perhaps a pro bono assignment to validate the credentials of a hopeful candidate...

Ms. Short, you write superbly and your wink towards Nuncio at the end was the cherry on a very tasty narrative. Thank you and long may you write.

--
Enigmas burn, but truth flares. One day, a truth shall flare upon us all.
+3 link

3/3/2016
Kittenpox wrote:
I'm inclined to agree with Robin and Dubinee...

Very wise of you! Agreeing with me makes you smarter and more sexually attractive smile
+4 link
Corran
Corran

3/3/2016
Dubinee Finnat wrote:

Very wise of you! Agreeing with me makes you smarter and more sexually attractive smile

To you or everyone? wink

--
My Fallen London profile
+2 link
Kirr
Kirr

3/5/2016
I also want to add my voice to those saying it was a nice change of pace. Though Fallen London is quite heavily gothic horror-themed, I'm not one for lots of gore, body horror and eating the results of the above (SMEN an honourable exception). It says great this about Fallen London that I love it even though those aren't personal favourites of mine, but it's also really nice to have a change of pace with this kind of story. Thank you!
+2 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox

3/8/2016
Corran wrote:
Dubinee Finnat wrote:

To you or everyone? wink

*shrugs* :-)

--
Kittenpox
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: Twenty-Five (of 50). Halfway there! ^_^
Metaphysical Caprice: 11.
-
Currently: Returned to the Neath, and regaining my footing in this place. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+2 link
Gonen
Gonen

3/12/2016
Wanted to join the parade of praises.
It was delightful! Good written story, didn't want to do anything else in London at the time. Very enjoyable.
I like the fact that not all EF are earth shattering lore wise. Not everything has to involve the heart and essence of this universe. This one story, of one family, provided excellent entertainment while reviling a bit of how's society works (Example: Exceptional Feast's gifts for servants, a bit of the inside if a certain law firm and a club, etc.)
Very interesting mechanics - the use of the technique to send us across London keeps the EF interesting and perhaps psychologically longer.
Really appreciated the fact that the conversations was actions free. Could be quite frustrating to wait 10 minutes for each question.

One of the best EF. I noticed this is the third time I say this in the last 4 months, meaning I am very pleased with the added bonus for EF members - the EF stories.

A great thank you for the staff, for Emily Short on the adventure and the people behind the curtain for the mechanics.

--
The Ashen Anesthesiologist - Paramount Londoner

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

The long journey to eccentricity:
On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
+7 link
KShep
KShep

3/13/2016
I too have to say that this one of, if not the, best Exceptional Stories I've had the pleasure of playing. It was truly exceptional -- I loved how meaty it felt, the multiple stages and the whole treasure hunting feel of traveling London was fantastic, and I love the inclusion of the flash lay scheme, I feel that that worked wonderfully. I also greatly appreciated the conversation costing 0 actions, that made my life so much easier, I could make sure I got all the answers I could without wasting extra actions.

And I adored those children. Those devilish little hellspawn. I chose to [spoiler]tell the truth in a child-friendly way and delivered the letter to the Governess at the end[/spoiler] and I'm glad I did. I was just wondering, I lost the Grudging Respect of the Children by taking my final action, and I was just wondering if this happens if you steam the letter open? I like the thought of remaining on good terms with those little brats.(Someone compared them to a malicious version of the Baudelaire children, and I loved that comparison!)

Overall, wonderful, wonderful job. I have such high hopes for the rest of this season!
edited by KShep on 3/13/2016

--
K. Shepard: a Shepherd of Souls and Monster Hunter; a former Urchin with a gang of her own; a tactless but good-hearted individual who won't hesitate to commit crimes for the sake of securing justice.
+4 link
xKiv
xKiv

3/14/2016
KShep wrote:
I was just wondering, I lost the Grudging Respect of the Children by taking my final action, and I was just wondering if this happens if you steam the letter open?

I think that's just general end-of-story cleanup. Their respect is preserved in the one surviving quality (recording which end you chose).

--
https://www.fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/xKiv - a witchful, percussive, dangermous and shadowry scholar of coexplodence, hopsidirean, and walker of fallen kitties.
0 link
genesis
genesis

3/14/2016
Has anyone come across the option with the Children where they set a "Fairy Princess" on fire? I found it by googling but I haven't been able to think of what might be required to unlock it.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
0 link
NiteBrite
NiteBrite

3/14/2016
genesis wrote:
Has anyone come across the option with the Children where they set a "Fairy Princess" on fire? I found it by googling but I haven't been able to think of what might be required to unlock it.

[spoiler]Hand of glory[/spoiler]

--
I AM currently accepting calling cards.
Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
[00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
+2 link
genesis
genesis

3/14/2016
Jeebus! That is not an item I expected to unlock things... Do any other items from that source unlock any branches? (Other than WD, which is available elsewhere)

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/mikey_thinkin

Keeping track of incomplete content and loose ends in Fallen London
0 link
malthaussen
malthaussen

3/15/2016
I liked this one a lot. Good design, I was sorry for it to end.

-- Mal

--
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Will do all socials except Loitering or Private Evenings (all my Free Evenings are accounted for), and Affluent Photographer Betrayals only, please. I am not currently accepting calling cards.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/malthaussen
0 link
Danko
Danko

3/29/2016
/slowpoke

Did anyone list all possible items to interact with the children? I've just used my Watchful Doll and got some very interesting text and information.
It also has a watchful check but since its always 100% straightforward for me I can't check the failure text upset

I think there might be more hidden options.

The ones I've found for now:
*Play as criminals (Airs >50)
*Play as pirates (Airs 50<wink
*Watchful Doll (Fate-locked)
*Starveling Cat
*Broken Toy
*Scarab
*Talkative Rattus Fabber
*Unearthly Fossil
*Enthralling book

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Danko
+2 link
Jermaine Vendredi
Jermaine Vendredi

3/29/2016
Also the Exquisite Toy, which fortunately didn't suffer the fate of the scarab. (Yeah, that still rankles. Now I can't used it to advance ... never mind.)

--
No plant battles, please.
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Jermion
+2 link
The Duke of Waltham
The Duke of Waltham

3/31/2016
I haven't had much time to play lately, so I only re-activated my Exceptional Friendship this morning just to avoid missing this story. I barely made it; it took more actions than expected to unlock the story in the House of Chimes—I had to complete the initial conversation rather than just begin it—and I generally take my time going through the options.* By the time I parted with the Harassed Mother, I could already see the universal storylet for April's story, a couple of minutes before noon BST.

(Good thing, too, that I didn't assume for whatever reason that they'd go with noon UTC, which is one hour later. I've had little cause to hate summer time so far, but this would certainly qualify.)

* Actually, there's no need to be coy about this: since the New Year I've been carefully recording the text of Fate-locked stories for my own future reference and perusal, relying on the wiki for non-Fate-locked text. This, as anyone can imagine, makes progress rather slower.
edited by The Duke of Waltham on 3/31/2016

--
The Duke of Waltham welcomes requests for assistance from those troubled by menaces, and His Grace's townhouse is always open to visitors who will not attempt to steal the silverware or extract support for yet another ill-advised scheme concerning photographers.

H. Cartwright, secretary.
0 link
Gonen
Gonen

3/31/2016
I thought one needs to just shift the story to the House of Chimes by selecting only one option from the introduction (1 action) to save the story fot later use.
Did not realize one must complete the story at House of Chimes to save it. Is that the case?

--

Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil; Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness.

On March 10th, 2018, reached 15 on all quirks, simultaneously. The Quirky Anesthesiologist
+1 link
dov
dov

3/31/2016
Indeed. This is the mechanism used to ensure this story is available only to Exceptional Friends

The starter storylet is visible to all players. But only Exceptional Friends can enter the House of Chimes to continue the story there. So you need to make at least some progress in the House of Chimes part of the story in order to activate it.

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+1 link
Gonen
Gonen

3/31/2016
dov wrote:
Indeed. This is the mechanism used to ensure this story is available only to Exceptional Friends

The starter storylet is visible to all players. But only Exceptional Friends can enter the House of Chimes to continue the story there. So you need to make at least some progress in the House of Chimes part of the story in order to activate it.

Just to clarify - shifting the story to HoC is not enough? I also need to continue the story to some extent there to save it?
How far? Until it spreads out from the House?

--

0 link
dov
dov

3/31/2016
No, shifting the story to the HoC is not enough - this option is available to all players, not only to Exceptional Friends.

You need to at least start the HoC part of the story. This is different each month. Sometimes a single action is enough. Sometimes you need to go through a whole conversation there. The game usually tells you, though (at some point it might tell you that you can complete the story at your own pace from now on or something similar).

----
edited by dov on 3/31/2016

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
+2 link