Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Surfacer History Messages in this topic - RSS

The Song
The Song

1/30/2016
I don't know why this is such a big thing in my mind, but I would really like to be able to choose a past of being a person from the surface who chose to move down under.
0 link
Psyche Labyrinth
Psyche Labyrinth

1/30/2016
That's actually the story behind everyone (unless they choose to block it out and pretend like they were born in the Neath for RP purposes). Choosing an ambition in the beginning answers the question, why did you descend to the Neath? And when you're in jail at the beginning it is implied that you descended from the surface.

--
Neath citizen, zee captain, possible deranged serial killer...
Backstory
Appearance
Always happy to meet new people and help out where I can!
0 link
wraith
wraith

1/30/2016
i think that he's referring to sunless sea psyche but the concept is the same

--
a scholar who is ready to do anything for knowledge http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/madwraith
please send boxed cat
+1 link
Remedan
Remedan

1/30/2016
wraith wrote:
i think that he's referring to sunless sea psyche but the concept is the same

Is it really? I don't remember anything in the character creation in Sunless Sea referencing the surface. Some of the backgrounds, such as the urchin, make me think that the character grew up in the Neath.

--
My Neathly Alter Ego -- Still trying to make some sense of it all.
0 link
wraith
wraith

1/30/2016
well in my opinion the poet can be connected to the surface, you failed as a poet in the surface and you came to the neath to seek inspiration, you have to make your own background

--
a scholar who is ready to do anything for knowledge http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/madwraith
please send boxed cat
0 link
Remedan
Remedan

1/30/2016
I guess it's deliberately vague so you can roleplay your character either way.

--
My Neathly Alter Ego -- Still trying to make some sense of it all.
0 link
Salt
Salt

1/31/2016
Oh, were we really born on the surface? I thought since the player doesn't have 'surface resistance', it meant that we were born in the Neath.
0 link
Harlocke
Harlocke

1/31/2016
I think you can lose surface resistance even if you were born there.

--
I welcome social actions, and can visit your salon as an author.

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Harlocke
0 link

1/31/2016
It's confusing, but Sunless Sea gives you a past that you did before you were a Captain, but have been a Captain for "too long" to return to the Surface. Unless the past you choose literally says you were from the surface, you may Interpret it either way. Unfortunately, Fallen London does not give you such an option and you are noted "Entering" Fallen London so you can "get rid of all Surface Ties" mainly as well as Ambition-Related. Other Ambitions can be solely Neath-Related and may or may not involve a surface past. Nemesis is the notable Surface-required Ambition for whom you lost.

Since it's a RP thing using StoryNexxus text, this is why it "starts" with the New Newgate. Adding a Background is done in SS since it's an action played single player game not using that engine but Unity. You can get boosts and starters for that video game where the multi-player game and Engine balance in FL is done otherwise for "Thirty years ago, London was stolen. Now it rests on the shore of the Unterzee, that old dark ocean under the world. Hell is close, immortality is cheap, and the screaming has largely stopped…THEN YOU ARRIVED."

Changing that StoryNexxus background alone mechanically is not a simple work, taking as much time as a storyette itself and would upend how the balance of the whole thing was crafted explaining the players arrival. Then there would have to be a code allowing a reset for all the years this was not around for older players as much as the Making Your Name series had to be done and that is another separate project taking a link's worth of time to make. And remember, it's not just creating, but coding, QA testing and editing to make sure it works.

So it is done that way because of the details above, and is not a simple thing to do to "Adapt" if it were added.

All that written, adding "multiple" backgrounds why you descended besides Ambition possibilities would be very cool if ever done!

Now if we are totally off on the OP, please do detail your intentions of course!
edited by the truthseeker on 1/31/2016
0 link