Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

​An Exceptional Story: The Art of Murder Messages in this topic - RSS

babelfishwars
babelfishwars

12/31/2015

A new sensation in Bohemian circles. Sharp knives. Deadly poison. Elaborate and rather impractical deathtraps.

Murder has always featured in Fallen London, but never has it been so fashionable.

The Art of Murder is the second story in the Heart’s Blood season. Play ​An Exceptional Story: Death from Above to begin. The Art of Murder is written by Gavin Inglis, writer of ​Hana Feels and Neighbourhood Necromancer.

edited by babelfishwars on 12/31/2015

--
Mars, God of Fish; Leaning Tower of Fish
+4 link

12/31/2015
[spoiler]
The second contender, a diminutive straw-haired fellow, wheels in an actual deathtrap....my word, that's hard to look at.

Was that Professor Farnsworth's Great, Great (this prefix goes on for a while) Grand-ancestor wheeling it up?
If so, the Professor has his usual announcement.

[/spoiler]
+1 link
RandomWalker
RandomWalker

12/31/2015
For the record, the reward for the 'inspired' ending, with six or seven temptations, has a total value of 12.5 echoes.

Fun story, but unless there's a hidden card or something, the reward is a joke.
+4 link

12/31/2015
RandomWalker wrote:
For the record, the reward for the 'inspired' ending, with six or seven temptations, has a total value of 12.5 echoes.

Fun story, but unless there's a hidden card or something, the reward is a joke.

And considering the last month's story revelation, being "encouraged" to "inspire" as such makes no sense without a counter influence (no matter how weak if you have cravings at max, if even which mine were not, since it had a menace feel not advancement feel.)
And it clearly states what you get negatively if you go the other paths. That and the unclear times you have to do stuff multiple times to "advance" the story (with no marker to completion for the first stuff at the beginning whatsoever making you waste additional turns wondering if you did it right) makes this very unsatisfying a story sadly to report.

• +1 link
    RandomWalker
    RandomWalker

12/31/2015
    I don't want to be all negative. The story was fun, and the mechanic when, uh, exploring, was interesting, even if I didn't understand why there was a topic for conversation until it was over. My alts picked other options, and the rewards were nicer.

My objection to the inspired reward is simply that this game usually encourages playing the game as your character, but here playing a less virtuous character is punished.
    0 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars

12/31/2015
    Hello,

I've taken a quick look at the reward, and am upgrading it. If you played that branch before I changed it (a couple of minutes ago), and want to upgrade your Direful Reflection to a Night-Whisper, send me a support ticket. The usual place, remember to give me your character name: support@failbettergames.com

No one who plays after I've posted this should need to do this, as I've tweaked it in game already.

- Olivia

--
    +9 link
    Askebaske
    Askebaske

12/31/2015
    My comments (ALL SPOILERS):

Positives:

* High challenge (scaling?) checks made for far more interesting gameplay than the normal straightforward-fest. A huge improvement!
    * The investigation mechanic was interesting, with lots of interesting text.
    * The final showdown was steeped in horror in the best way.

Negative:

* The reward for the 'inspired' ending was a joke, honestly. While I normally don't give a damn about the EPA for exceptional stories, this was a days worth of actions for a very small payout, which made the overall experience a bit tamer.

* Both of the trackers were poorly explained, and involved a lot of guesswork, which detracted from the overall experience.

I might just be disillusioned by Flint, but I felt this was one of the weakest exceptional stories.
    +5 link
    metasynthie
    metasynthie

12/31/2015
    So... in order to continue with the Heart's Blood 3-part sequence, you need something gained during Flint, right? Now that it's out, can someone tell me if one shouldn't play this before finishing... all of Flint? Before finishing Part I? Before heading off to Apis Meet? Before going to the Dish & Spoon? What item is it, or at what point in Flint is it gained? I don't want to accidentally do things out of sequence.

--
    Positively antique
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/metasynthie
    0 link
    wraith
    wraith

12/31/2015
    metasynthie you gain the item at the end of flint

--
    a scholar who is ready to do anything for knowledge http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/madwraith
    please send boxed cat
    0 link
    babelfishwars
    babelfishwars

12/31/2015
    metasynthie wrote:
    So... in order to continue with the Heart's Blood 3-part sequence, you need something gained during Flint, right? Now that it's out, can someone tell me if one shouldn't play this before finishing... all of Flint? Before finishing Part I? Before heading off to Apis Meet? Before going to the Dish & Spoon? What item is it, or at what point in Flint is it gained? I don't want to accidentally do things out of sequence.

Ah... no. You're fine to play! You can do the stories out of order - the item you collect doesn't impact on the next story, but on something you can unlock if you get all three items.

See here:
    http://community.failbettergames.com/topic21330-a-season-of-exceptional-stories-hearts-blood.aspx

--
    +2 link
    metasynthie
    metasynthie

12/31/2015
    Ah thank you! I misunderstood.

--
    Positively antique
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/metasynthie
    0 link

12/31/2015
    metasynthie wrote:

If it was supposed to be there, it was not very clear to me when exactly it was used. I can say on Part 2 of Flint, it will clearly state what you get that you can "keep for future stories" at the very end. (Feel free to look at truthseeker's echoed comments if you think it would help for this month's story, but you might have to dig for Flint part 2 nor do I think it lists the item in story echo content.) If anybody else wants to spoiler or link this where it clearly was offered, please do so. if this story currently released was only the first part in a multi-part story where that is an option, also please note that as well of course to all involved writing/developing the story app.
  • 0 link
    penknife
    penknife

12/31/2015
    This was interesting, but felt awfully short -- maybe it's just that as a stat-capped player, I didn't have any difficulty progressing. Very atmospheric, though!

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Penknife
    Most social actions welcome, no SMEN or Boxed Cats please.
    0 link
    ashdenej
    ashdenej

12/31/2015
    the truthseeker wrote:
    If anybody else wants to spoiler or link this where it clearly was offered, please do so.

I am pretty sure it's the vial you received before descending!

Also: I enjoyed this story. Thought it was fun to play, liked the pursuit & it had an intriguing concept. Good job!

--
    0 link
    Hobnail
    Hobnail

12/31/2015
    I found this story of strange baroque murder and mayhem SINGUALRLY DELIGHTFUL

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hobnail
    +3 link
    titusAndronicus
    titusAndronicus

12/31/2015
    [spoiler] Did anyone not revive the second judge? How does the story proceed from there? (I'm curious to know what murder they had planned for you, since the competition devolved into chaos when I revived the tragedian.) [/spoiler]

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/titusAndronicus - a gentleman of great impropriety, and a great friend to the rubbery.)
    0 link
    Kaigen
    Kaigen

12/31/2015
    I found that quite enjoyable. The gallows humour was delightful, and I thought the mechanical representation of chasing someone through dark tunnels with a series of looping options was quite effective. I'm looking forward to seeing where this trilogy goes.

--
    Just a simple doctor with a chess habit. Publisher of The Flit Dispatch.

"One must remember that the impossible is, alas, always possible."
    -Jacques Derrida
    +1 link
    Shadowcthuhlu
    Shadowcthuhlu

12/31/2015
    [spoiler]
    While the mechanical award for awarding first place was not the best (love story and a few other items) I did like how it built upon the lore introduced in the Flint. What do others think?
    [/spoiler]

Otherwise, I have to agree with some issues with unclear mechanics-though I did like how to topic of conversation changed during the pursuit. I wished we had a bit more time to dive into the some of the surrounding art side before getting involved with the competition; there were clearly people just doing performance murder for the sake of it.

edit: fixed your spoiler

--
    https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Dirae%20Erinyes. Closed to calling cards, but open for all other social action. I also love to roleplay.
    0 link
    Dinjoralo
    Dinjoralo

12/31/2015
    So, the Heart's Blood season started with the Flint two-parter? Well, I picked a perfect time to get back into Fallen London! And I love gallows humor, so it's doubly perfect!

--
    Dinjoralo, a secretive gentleman who does whatever he fancies. Particularly loves the warmth of Hell's finest. Finds entertainment in watching flawed people live their banal, meaningless lives, while bizarre things happen around them.
    0 link
    Emain Ablach
    Emain Ablach

12/31/2015
    I just finished the story, which took me a lot of actions because one optional luck-based challenge kept failing, hahaha ^.^

I really liked this story. The topic is interesting, developped in a surprising way, and we learn a nice bit of lore.

[spoiler]The twists, once you're below, are funny and I didn't expect them. I especially liked the gentleman with the trap, just imagining what happens made me laugh. The text in Watchmaker Hill, with the Eradicators, was very nice as well !

I'd liked to have something more complexe about the "aesthetics"... acts, maybe something like the Black Ribbon, but I get that it would be too similar.[/spoiler]

To sum up : very nice story, thank you very much ! These monthly stories are a very good idea and add just what diversity is needed ! =)
    edited by Emain Ablach on 12/31/2015

--
    Went NORTH. Got salted. Never came back. We won't remember him.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Emain%20Ablach
    +2 link
    1234 ..6