Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Enlist other Players: the Singing Mandrake

Here you can find help from other players. Find a chess partner, someone to listen to your nightmares, or a clique.

Associating with New Players Messages in this topic - RSS

Xane Al-Rahibi
Xane Al-Rahibi
Posts: 78

12/20/2015
When I see someone in the "Who else is here" section, I like to click on their name and see their journal to see if they're new to the game or just starting a new character. Would it be socially acceptable to send out calling cards to new players to become acquainted with them and help them out when they may not have any friends who play the game?

--
Xane Al-Rahibi:
A sacrosanct symphonist, aberrant author, palatable poet, and darn good euphophonist to boot,

Oh, and Eighth Offprint Opus of The Omnibus Octavo

This is how you may contact me in the world of Fallen London:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Xane~Al-Rahibi

I am open to any and all requests relating to any and all social actions.
0 link
NiteBrite
NiteBrite
Posts: 1019

12/20/2015
It should be alright to send random people social actions including calling cards. Just be sure to explain the situation in your message so they know how you found them and what your intentions are with contacting them. With the calling card, if they accept it, they can't send you one back so you may need to explain how sending messages works too. just to be safe.

I spent almost all of 2014 just sending sips of hesperidean cider to every new player I saw, to welcome them to Fallen London. It went rather well I would say and was an interesting time.
edited by NiteBrite on 12/20/2015

--
I AM currently accepting calling cards.
Stats loss counter: reset, irrigo equivalent: none
[00:34] <@ortab> NiteBrite's laugh is that of a condemned soul gazing into the abyss.
Merciless Modiste avatar by Paul Arendt (based on an original image by Joe England)
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/TheBriteModiste
+3 link
Hobnail
Hobnail
Posts: 179

12/20/2015
BLOOD! BLOOD IS WHAT'S NEEDED!

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Hobnail
+1 link

Guest

12/20/2015
NiteBrite wrote:
It should be alright to send random people social actions including calling cards. Just be sure to explain the situation in your message so they know how you found them and what your intentions are with contacting them. With the calling card, if they accept it, they can't send you one back so you may need to explain how sending messages works too. just to be safe.

I spent almost all of 2014 just sending sips of hesperidean cider to every new player I saw, to welcome them to Fallen London. It went rather well I would say and was an interesting time.
edited by NiteBrite on 12/20/2015



(Well, mine must have gotten lost at Nuncio. Then again, I signed up in October 2014. Still, a very altruistic thing to do when you had it Nitebrite!
Do new players now get to pet your Heptagoat.....wait, didn't that new Pickpocket have two hands a minute ago?)
0 link
Xane Al-Rahibi
Xane Al-Rahibi
Posts: 78

12/20/2015
So, we're just not going to acknowledge that Hobnail guy's comment?

--
Xane Al-Rahibi:
A sacrosanct symphonist, aberrant author, palatable poet, and darn good euphophonist to boot,

Oh, and Eighth Offprint Opus of The Omnibus Octavo

This is how you may contact me in the world of Fallen London:
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Xane~Al-Rahibi

I am open to any and all requests relating to any and all social actions.
+1 link
malthaussen
malthaussen
Posts: 1060

12/20/2015
That is the intent of the Young Turks Club, but quite a few players don't check in there. I'd guess half my contact list is people I picked at random from the "Who Else is Here" box.

-- Mal

--
"Of two choices, I always take the third."
Will do all socials except Loitering or Private Evenings (all my Free Evenings are accounted for), and Affluent Photographer Betrayals only, please. I am not currently accepting calling cards.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/malthaussen
0 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox
Posts: 869

12/20/2015
Hobnail wrote:
BLOOD! BLOOD IS WHAT'S NEEDED!

Xane Al-Rahibi wrote:
So, we're just not going to acknowledge that Hobnail guy's comment?

With such a succinct reply from Hobnail, what more needs to be said? :-p

--
Kittenpox
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: Twenty-Five (of 50). Halfway there! ^_^
Metaphysical Caprice: 11.
-
Currently: Returned to the Neath, and regaining my footing in this place. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
0 link
Kittenpox
Kittenpox
Posts: 869

12/20/2015
Xane Al-Rahibi wrote:
When I see someone in the "Who else is here" section, I like to click on their name and see their journal to see if they're new to the game or just starting a new character. Would it be socially acceptable to send out calling cards to new players to become acquainted with them and help them out when they may not have any friends who play the game?


Personally I see no problem with saying hi to new players, though I myself wouldn't send out Calling Cards. There's only a finite amount of people you can have on your list of Acquaintances at any given time, and there's little point in filling it with people who may not necessarily be interested in communicating. What I'd do instead is say hi (while following Nitebrite's suggestion) but do it via other social actions - Chess, Coffee, Sparring; that sort of thing.
If you mix it up, rather than spamming them with any single action, they'll also have Second Chances which they can put to good use later. (I'd lead with Chess as it's fairly neutral and allows them to request Nightmares reduction.)

Ultimately what you do is up to you, but that's how I'd probably go about it. Generally if you're like 'Hey, saw your name <here>, just wanted to say hi and meet new people' then I can't see anyone getting up-in-arms over it. :-)

--
Kittenpox
Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: Twenty-Five (of 50). Halfway there! ^_^
Metaphysical Caprice: 11.
-
Currently: Returned to the Neath, and regaining my footing in this place. :-)
NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
+1 link

Guest

12/21/2015
Xane Al-Rahibi wrote:
So, we're just not going to acknowledge that Hobnail guy's comment?


We have two options:

1) Comment, what comment? Something apparently has gotten thumbs down responses, but we are not discussing what will not exist in polite conversation.
2) I'm Brutus! Enforcer! Y' got somebody t' be Dead Dead Guv?

I really encourage option 1.


But Option two will give somebody "exactly what they asked for"...


(A whisper from a lawyer to truthseeker's ear)..."hypothetically speaking."
0 link
navchaa
navchaa
Posts: 566

12/21/2015
I just started a new alt, and within an hour I had two social invitations. One was a calling card, and the an Affluent Photographer betrayal. Given that it was all done without fanfare, how did these people find my alt?

On a side note, why would one send a complete stranger an unsolicited betrayal as the first action? Personally, I'm not bothered. But if this happened to my main within the first hour of FL, I'd be first baffled and later pretty cheesed off.

--
Paramount Presence (London's Marrow 2, London's Nerves 2, London’s Sinew 3, London’s Blood 3) and mercenary Notary

Married to Myrto :: Exchanging Surprise Packages with anyone interested :: Exchanging cat boxes with Kitty Rambunctious

http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/navchaa
0 link

Guest

12/21/2015
navchaa wrote:
I just started a new alt, and within an hour I had two social invitations. One was a calling card, and the an Affluent Photographer betrayal. Given that it was all done without fanfare, how did these people find my alt?

On a side note, why would one send a complete stranger an unsolicited betrayal as the first action? Personally, I'm not bothered. But if this happened to my main within the first hour of FL, I'd be first baffled and later pretty cheesed off.


1) They likely were mining the "Who else is here?" to send to as many players as possible. The calling card person likely didn't understand what it was for/the limited contacts you can have while the betrayer was likely just an a-hole scamming new-looking players. I hope you got their name for some "thanks" down the line when they forgot about you.
2) See 1)
0 link
navchaa
navchaa
Posts: 566

12/21/2015
The beauty of FL is that, short of a poisoning, you can't really harm another player. Even KnC is so luck-based that it could backfire.

the truthseeker wrote:
1) They likely were mining the "Who else is here?" to send to as many players as possible. The calling card person likely didn't understand what it was for/the limited contacts you can have while the betrayer was likely just an a-hole scamming new-looking players. I hope you got their name for some "thanks" down the line when they forgot about you.
2) See 1)


--
Paramount Presence (London's Marrow 2, London's Nerves 2, London’s Sinew 3, London’s Blood 3) and mercenary Notary

Married to Myrto :: Exchanging Surprise Packages with anyone interested :: Exchanging cat boxes with Kitty Rambunctious

http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/navchaa
0 link
Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht
Posts: 1751

12/21/2015
navchaa wrote:
The beauty of FL is that, short of a poisoning, you can't really harm another player. Even KnC is so luck-based that it could backfire.


There is one thing that you can do to leave a very annoying mark on other players, and it is definitely not by design of FBG.

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
0 link
navchaa
navchaa
Posts: 566

12/21/2015
Do I even want to know what it is?

--
Paramount Presence (London's Marrow 2, London's Nerves 2, London’s Sinew 3, London’s Blood 3) and mercenary Notary

Married to Myrto :: Exchanging Surprise Packages with anyone interested :: Exchanging cat boxes with Kitty Rambunctious

http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/navchaa
0 link
navchaa
navchaa
Posts: 566

12/21/2015
That does sound pretty annoying. But with 99 acquaintance slots, surely there's plenty to spare? I've been around for a reasonable amount of time, and have only filled 40 slots. Unless there's a mass deletion thing happening, it's going to be hard to be seriously inconvenienced by something like that?

Unless you're saying that you will be stuck in KnC and can't even come out to play the other stuff? I would imagine that an email to support would sort that out.

--
Paramount Presence (London's Marrow 2, London's Nerves 2, London’s Sinew 3, London’s Blood 3) and mercenary Notary

Married to Myrto :: Exchanging Surprise Packages with anyone interested :: Exchanging cat boxes with Kitty Rambunctious

http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/navchaa
0 link
Grenem
Grenem
Posts: 2067

12/22/2015
navchaa wrote:
Do I even want to know what it is?

Add someone to your contacts, erase you account, for one. (impossible to fix, costs 1 aquaintance slot.) Worse, do that but as a mentor/student. (costs 8 slots!)

--
Married!:http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/takuza
I will accept all social actions that do not consume free evenings- and i will provide patronage to anyone who requests it, though it will be split between all requesters.
On psudeo-hiatus. Will be inactive and active and fluctuate without warning.
Grinding Favors without cards: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22266-storylet-favors-grinding.aspx
0 link
Lisbella Peridot
Lisbella Peridot
Posts: 138

12/22/2015
Grenem wrote:
navchaa wrote:
Do I even want to know what it is?

Add someone to your contacts, erase you account, for one. (impossible to fix, costs 1 aquaintance slot.) Worse, do that but as a mentor/student. (costs 8 slots!)


Can't you just snub them?

--
Anatasia Swansong - fencing prodigy, extraordinary beauty, and very stubborn
Welcoming friends of all sorts! All independent now.

Kelly Siniature - grinning, deranged, elegant child of indistinct gender
Kelly is taking a long break on isolation.

I also play Town of Salem and a few other games - still Lisbella Peridot!
I finally regained stable internet access, so I should be around more often...
0 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro
Moderator
Posts: 4514

12/22/2015
Unfortunately if the account doesn't exist anymore you won't be able to select them as a target for snubbing.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
0 link
dov
dov
Posts: 2580

12/22/2015
NiteBrite wrote:
I spent almost all of 2014 just sending sips of hesperidean cider to every new player I saw, to welcome them to Fallen London. It went rather well I would say and was an interesting time.
Just curious: How many tabs do you have now in your contact list?

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link




Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software