Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Privy at the Bazaar Messages in this topic - RSS

Estelle Knoht
Estelle Knoht

12/19/2015
So, we have a considerable number of people living in Spire-Emporiums.

We got enamel toliet bowls invented in 1885, then Mr. Crapper (it is a real name) invented flushing toliet in 1891 in UK (the ingame year is now 1893). For the poorer lodgings or the more remote ones I can see people just emptying chamberpots and some such, and I suspect the Sanctum (time oddities) and the Hotel (mind oddities) doesn't have to worry that either.

But Spire-Emporiums are kind of in the unique situation of being a fancy high-rise based on a living crab. What if my acquaintances served me a lacre-dinner with poo-poo potentially mixed in? What does the Master think? Does the Bazaar cry so much because there are so many people literally pooping on it? Do we have plumbing, or do we empty chamberpots like splash-of-cosmogone over the Bazaar Sidestreet so only people with 100+ Dangerous and Shadowy are permitted to enter? Do we brew all of that into Darkdrop Coffee?
edited by Estelle Knoht on 12/19/2015

--
Estelle Knoht, a juvenile, unreliable and respectable lady.
I currently do not accept any catbox, cider, suppers, calling cards or proteges.
+44 link
Kolanowski
Kolanowski

12/19/2015
...What the hell did I just read.

But another question comes to mind: since we know tears of the Bazaar, both liquid and frozen, have special properties (as do all of its body parts, really), then what about the Bazaar's feces? Does it simply never excrete them? And if it does, what magical/alien properties do they possess?

--
Kazimierz Kolanowski, gentleman, scholar, humble servant of the Maw. Chaotic Evil. Open to all social actions & accepting almost all requests. Might sell you to Satan for a single corn chip.
+24 link
Charlotte_de_Witte
Charlotte_de_Witte

12/19/2015
Kolanowski wrote:
...What the hell did I just read.

The greatest, most important neathy mystery of our time!
edited by Charlotte_de_Witte on 12/19/2015

--
"Do one thing for me, Sredni Vashtar."

Social actions welcome. Only, send me dupes if you need help with the Affluent Photographer please, I like the bats! [And boxed kitties, and extreme gardening]- Thank-you!

http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Charlotte%20de%20Witte
+14 link
Blaine Davidson
Blaine Davidson

12/19/2015
Kolanowski wrote:
[T]hen what about the Bazaar's feces? Does it simply never excrete them? And if it does, what magical/alien properties do they possess?

It would likely kill you. Drinking Tears causes death by melancholy so I imagine consuming waste materials is much more painful.

Also, I'm going to be pedantic. It would be egest, not excrete. Unless the Bazaar has fecal matter leaving whatever constitutes as its cells.

This is not a pleasant thought.

--
Blaine Davidson, a reserved and sensible woman with a fondness of collecting rarities.
+7 link
Passionario
Passionario

12/19/2015
Estelle Knoht wrote:
For the poorer lodgings or the more remote ones I can see people just emptying chamberpots and some such

I expect that Spire-Dwellers also use chamberpots. The only difference is that they have people (servants or Clay) to empty them.

(Now, if you want a truly disturbing thought, consider toilets in Polythreme)

--
Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
Passion: Profile, Appearance
+22 link
Kolanowski
Kolanowski

12/19/2015
Passionario wrote:

CANNOT UNTHINK

--
Kazimierz Kolanowski, gentleman, scholar, humble servant of the Maw. Chaotic Evil. Open to all social actions & accepting almost all requests. Might sell you to Satan for a single corn chip.
+19 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

12/19/2015
"Estelle Knoht, a JUVENILE, unreliable and respectable lady."

• I'm just sayin'.

(Actually, what a hilarious post!)

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
  • +11 link
    Sara Hysaro
    Sara Hysaro

12/19/2015
    Passionario wrote:
    Estelle Knoht wrote:
    For the poorer lodgings or the more remote ones I can see people just emptying chamberpots and some such

I expect that Spire-Dwellers also use chamberpots. The only difference is that they have people (servants or Clay) to empty them.

Yeah, this was the conclusion I came to when the question randomly came into my mind one day. I'm not sure how much the Bazaar has been altered to accommodate residents, but plumbing seems a bit much to agree to.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
    Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
    +5 link
    Pyrodinium
    Pyrodinium

12/19/2015
    Well there are mentions of sewers in the stories every now and then so I guess London has a working plumbing system. However I also prefer the chamberpots angle. There might be enterprising individuals with cosmogene inspiration that may use the resulting night soil for compost for raising both edible and intelligent fungi.

--
    My profiles: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium
    (A Monster hunter on the hunt of his twin brother's killer. Overprotective dad of his twin's daughter)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rudolph~of~Taured
    (an indeterminate person of potentially rubbery lineage)
    * All social actions except photographers and loitering welcome!
    +5 link

12/20/2015
    Estelle Knoht wrote:
    We got enamel toliet bowls invented in 1885, then Mr. Crapper (it is a real name) invented flushing toliet in 1891 in UK (the ingame year is now 1893). For the poorer lodgings or the more remote ones I can see people just emptying chamberpots and some such, and I suspect the Sanctum (time oddities) and the Hotel (mind oddities) doesn't have to worry that either.
    But Spire-Emporiums are kind of in the unique situation of being a fancy high-rise based on a living crab. What if my acquaintances served me a lacre-dinner with poo-poo potentially mixed in? What does the Master think? Does the Bazaar cry so much because there are so many people literally pooping on it? Do we have plumbing, or do we empty chamberpots like splash-of-cosmogone over the Bazaar Sidestreet so only people with 100+ Dangerous and Shadowy are permitted to enter? Do we brew all of that into Darkdrop Coffee?

Well, this explains the OP's icon finally! Big Grin

I must admit, I have read many a bizarre (and in FL, Bizarre,) thing, but this was at the pinnacle of weirdly debated crap to me. (Everything written intended, yes I did mean that and [had] to go there. Still, I can't believe I am academically going into this, but too late to stop discussing it now, so here we go: )

As noted,

Pyrodinium wrote:
    Well there are mentions of sewers in the stories every now and then so I guess London has a working plumbing system. However I also prefer the chamberpots angle. There might be enterprising individuals with cosmogene inspiration that may use the resulting night soil for compost for raising both edible and intelligent fungi.

Briefly opening with Fallen London before exploring the real-life historical use of sanitation, even the beginning Watchmaker's Hill's Your Quarry: A Worryingly Large Rat mentioned the sewer to new players, even warning them to leave it before the tide comes in. So if a sewage system exists and we have 19th century progress, some form of waste-collection exists better than pits. More on that ability and beyond the norm of collection later.

While we had underground plumbing as early as the Ancient Greek or Minoan civilization Empire in large-city-state levels-including the flush-toilet in the 18th century BCE-and aqueducts way before that for constantly flowing waters as far back as the Indus Civilization of 33 century BCE, the use of pots or communal privies still was prevalent.

Chamberpots/Bedpans alone ended as late as the mid-20th century for common use, so even "modern plumbing" of the 19th century does not rule out this option. (Technically, it's when we mastered both plumbing hydraulics and water pressure and were able to incorporate it in a post-WWiI-industrial level did those chamberpots finally die out in regular use. Not regularly using them is quite a modern change in sewage anthropological terms.)

You can bet the "communal privy/bog"-or however else it's named in the world- exists still in the FL era and existed as soon as people got the idea to "take care of waste away from the home" when large-scale sewage transporting was not always a viable option (and often, it was not many places in the 19th century.) This especially is true for multi-storied constructions.

That last above link is to reiterate the fallacy of "multi level privies" somehow falling on the recipient beneath. the same holds true about falling waste handled in the spires, even if "supernatural" means (of which I am certain they are) were not used.

So all that with "regular" laws applies, but what happens when we start...um...bending the rules of Physics and Nature and do things the non-humans have been seen to do?

For instance, the Bazaar can "reorganize the streets and pipes around it," making it easier for the (how aptly seasonal for now) Lacre pits and channels to be well organized. If that is true, it shouldn't be to hard to "reorganize piping around certain spire floors" as well.

Secondly, we've all read (and a few characters might have seen) the shimmery portals that can just appear, especially in the summer months, aka "The Wandering Mirage." For the sake of discussion, let's say this is actually a real and dangerous to travel to locale. Such locales can also be used as...well, there is not nice way of saying besides "dumping grounds." A trigger using sensors when the act is done can open said portal to the "away" place" depositing said waste. Of course, this is important that it's a remote (no pun intended this time) wasteland with no beings who would be offset or (at least) have any way to go to the city to react to such actions.

Finally, besides the normal creatures used for composting such as earthworms and so forth-and I shutter to think of this concept-there may be creatures that seek out this stuff as a delicacy and it is...fed to them en masse. I've technically read weirder in this realm (but not by much) so such stuff could be collected and shipped by "whatever untouchable class" there is that gathers wherever this stuff is eventually hauled or dropped to.

All that written, we still can't say what Darkdrop coffee is made with besides the beans if anything else, but if it were...that ingredient added, it would likely be some "beast" using it to "lessen the casing of the bean" the same way the Kopi luwak is "mellowed" and not as an actual "added" ingredient. (But that nefarious additive being one or many different terrible things in DarkDrop coffee has been a long-running gag by now.)

Okay, that's now about enough conjecture from me on the topic. (While not British in spirit enough as to have a museum about such a thing,) I certainly feel I explained it organized well enough to state, "I got my **** together."
    edited by the truthseeker on 12/20/2015
    +11 link
    Siana
    Siana

12/20/2015
    This was not an image I needed at this time of the day. Really.

(No, really though, it gave me a good laugh Big Grin)

I'm fairly sure there was some form of plumbing by the time the 1890s rolled around... I mean, if London was taken in the 1860s, there might be a good chance there was some rudimentary form of sewage treatment in place already. However, the sewage back then was instead washed out to sea... so would the citizens be dumping tonnes of waste into the Zee instead? If they're not using chamberpots, I mean.

--
    Siana, the reckless and inquisitive Author.
    +4 link

12/20/2015
    Siana wrote:
    This was not an image I needed at this time of the day. Really.

(No, really though, it gave me a good laugh Big Grin)

I'm fairly sure there was some form of plumbing by the time the 1890s rolled around... I mean, if London was taken in the 1860s, there might be a good chance there was some rudimentary form of sewage treatment in place already. However, the sewage back then was instead washed out to sea... so would the citizens be dumping tonnes of waste into the Zee instead? If they're not using chamberpots, I mean.

Yep!

Another reason the Lorn Flukes are....must resist...failing....cannot...

Pissed.

• +9 link
    Pyrodinium
    Pyrodinium

12/20/2015
    Estelle Knoht wrote:

Mr. Crapper, that other Master that even MR. EATEN doesn't want to talk about.

--
    My profiles: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Pyrodinium
    (A Monster hunter on the hunt of his twin brother's killer. Overprotective dad of his twin's daughter)
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rudolph~of~Taured
    (an indeterminate person of potentially rubbery lineage)
    * All social actions except photographers and loitering welcome!
    +12 link
    Passionario
    Passionario

12/20/2015
    the truthseeker wrote:
    Finally, besides the normal creatures used for composting such as earthworms and so forth-and I shutter to think of this concept-there may be creatures that seek out this stuff as a delicacy and it is...fed to them en masse. I've technically read weirder in this realm (but not by much) so such stuff could be collected and shipped by "whatever untouchable class" there is that gathers wherever this stuff is eventually hauled or dropped to.

Rubbery Men will always take one's crap, literally or figuratively.

--
    Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
    Passion: Profile, Appearance
    +4 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

12/20/2015
    Joseph Bazalgette had already begun his project of modernising the sewers of London as of 1861 - it was still early days, but if the new parliament convened to replace those who had been eaten were still amenable, it's possible the process might have been continued. As noted above, the flush toilet actually dates back to antiquity - but, the aptly-named Mr Crapper was already in the plumbing trade by '61, and it's entirely possible that he lived to implement his own contributions to the field (including a personal favourite, the patented floating ballcock) in the Neath.

Personally, there's two guesses I'm ready to make. One, that Fallen London stinks. Two, that any chasm, ravine or cleft that can be semi-safely accessed serves as a dumping-ground until it either fills up, or whatever dread creature inhabits it comes clambering out to object.

--
    Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +2 link
    Kolanowski
    Kolanowski

12/20/2015
    Knowing the Neath, we might have the same situation on our hands that happened in good ol' Beersheba - under Flute Street and everything else, there is another London, even more Fallen, constructed from nothing but sewage accumulated from the Fifth and all previous cities. No one can say what smelly horrors dwell within.

[spoiler]Failbetter, please make this an Expedition destination.[/spoiler]

--
    +9 link
    John Savage
    John Savage

12/20/2015
    Puts a new spin on the job of the Privy Counsellor!

--
    If at first you don't succeed, shoot it again.
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/John~Savage

Scandal and suspicion! Suspicion and scandal! I miss the old days when only blood mattered.
    +14 link
    Lady Sapho Byron
    Lady Sapho Byron

12/20/2015
    Everybody posting to this thread has lost 10 CP Persuasive and gained 5 CP Scandal. Those reading it have gained 2 CP Scandal.

--
    http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
    Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
    +15 link
    Lisbella Peridot
    Lisbella Peridot

12/20/2015
    Lady Sapho Byron wrote:
    Everybody posting to this thread has lost 10 CP Persuasive and gained 5 CP Scandal. Those reading it have gained 2 CP Scandal.

An Accomplishment! You are now Exalted in Excrement.

Making Waves is increasing... (take a look at the icon yourself)

--
    Anatasia Swansong - fencing prodigy, extraordinary beauty, and very stubborn
    Welcoming friends of all sorts! All independent now.

Kelly Siniature - grinning, deranged, elegant child of indistinct gender
    Kelly is taking a long break on isolation.

I also play Town of Salem and a few other games - still Lisbella Peridot!
    I finally regained stable internet access, so I should be around more often...
    +18 link
    Kolanowski
    Kolanowski

12/20/2015
    A twist in your tale! You are now Uncovering Secrets Most Fetid.

You now have 1 x An Unusual Pail of So-Called Excrement.

Persuasive is decreasing...

Nightmares is increasing...

Wounds is increasing...

--
    +14 link