Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Bazaar

This is the place to discuss playing the game. Find tips, debate the best places to find certain items and share advice.

CHRISTMAS IN THE NEATH: A GUIDE Messages in this topic - RSS

Teaspoon
Teaspoon

12/3/2016
I don't have a Monocle, but I do have SotC 10.

I'm not really clear on what you actually *do* with a Noman when you have it. Any advice?

--
Truth lies at the bottom of a well.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Alt%20Ern
0 link
phryne
phryne

12/3/2016
Teaspoon wrote:
I don't have a Monocle, but I do have SotC 10.
You should really buy one if you can afford it at all as it will let you make the most out of your Pails!

Teaspoon wrote:
I'm not really clear on what you actually *do* with a Noman when you have it. Any advice?
There's an opp card called "Noman's Progress" which you will draw all the time as long as you have one. All the options to interact with it are on that card and most of them lower one of your quirks.

Each option will slightly increase "Noman's Friend" which is savagely cut by Time the Healer.
edited by phryne on 12/3/2016

--
One with all the Time in the Neath, a successful Huntress, an honorary Cat, a Murderer-turned-Doctor, the last Priest of the Red Bird and a rising Composer.

Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writer
0 link
Catherine Raymond
Catherine Raymond

12/3/2016
My main character has a significant quantity of Taste of Lacre, left over from last year because she didn't have anything she wanted to use it on. I wonder whether there will be new interesting things to do with it this year?

--
Cathy Raymond
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/cathyr19355

Catherine Raymond aka Mrs. Rykar Malkus http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Catherine%20Raymond (Gone NORTH)
0 link
phryne
phryne

12/3/2016
A few further observations:
  • One thing missing from the OP is the Soothe & Cooper Long-Box. You can get it at Penstock's Wicket for 5 ToL (you need 6 ToL to unlock the storylet, but you'll lose only 5 levels). The Long-Box is worth 62.50 Echoes at the Bazaar, or you can sell it at Wolfstack Docks for 3 Favours: The Docks (up to 7), 50 Echoes and a bonus quality for your Sunless Sea character the first time you do it.
  • One thing that is mentioned but I think is worth repeating is that you always need ToL 3 to descend the Wicket. You're kicked out when you buy a lodging, so if you need multiple visits (for multiple purchases), keep that detail in mind.
  • Changes to the quality "Putting the Pieces Together: The Taste of Lacre" are never displayed the way qualities are usually displayed ("Your ToL has increased to 3"). Instead, you'll only ever see the flavour text of your current status - no numerical value - making it useful to keep ToL as the displayed Scrapbook quality on your Profile during Sackmas (you can see it on my main).

The Price of the Noman: (as compiled by Erika last January)

Jan 6-8: ToL 3
Jan 9-11: ToL 5
Jan 12-14: ToL 7
Jan 15-20: ToL 9
Jan 21-23: ToL 12
Jan 24-31: ToL 15

The price also includes 1 Skyglass Knife, 1 Deep Amber, 3 Hard-Earned Lessons & 3 Sudden Insights.
As January progresses, Quirk levels will be added to the price as well.

--
One with all the Time in the Neath, a successful Huntress, an honorary Cat, a Murderer-turned-Doctor, the last Priest of the Red Bird and a rising Composer.

Exceptional Stories, sorted by season and by writer
+1 link
Parelle
Parelle

12/3/2016
And, caveat: there will almost undoubtedly be changes to the nomen this year, as they were planned to be last year.

--
Parelle, Lady Joseph Marlen. The Singular Librarian. A Midnighter, a Player of the Marvelous.
pages from a dusty bookshop: a badly updated FL changelog | Useful Guidance and Explanations
+1 link
MrBurnside
MrBurnside

12/4/2016
phryne wrote:
Teaspoon wrote:
Snip
SnipTeaspoon wrote:
There's an opp card called "Noman's Progress" which you will draw all the time as long as you have one. All the options to interact with it are on that card and most of them lower one of your quirks.

Each option will slightly increase "Noman's Friend" which is savagely cut by Time the Healer.
edited by phryne on 12/3/2016

This is not quite right. "Nomen's Friend" is cut by TtH, but Nomen's Progress boosts "Nomen Knows." When Nomen Knows reaches 15 you can use the Sense of an Ending option on the Nomen's Progress card to read some sad text and get an Elemental Secret.
+1 link
Mr. Sails
Mr. Sails

12/4/2016
I have a Semiotic Monocle, SotC 10, Notability 7, 4x Night Whisper and 28x Storm-Threnody.

Will that be enough to upgrade two four-card lodgings?

Will it be enough for two 4-card lodgings and a remote address?
+1 link
suinicide
suinicide

12/4/2016
Probably, I managed to get all the lodgings last year, and it looks like you are more prepared than me.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
+1 link
Toran
Toran

12/6/2016
Some things:

Q: What do you do with a Noman?

A: Cry mainly. It's the most moving story in the game currently. Also it burns quirks. Also also it is easy to complete by itself without major investment. It's probably the best nugget of straight art in FL to me.

Q: Is 4 night whispers and 28 storm threnodies enough for two five card house upgrades?

A: Yes, but only based on previous years. You're holding 12 lacre. House upgrades are 7-9 each, so you're golden.

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Anthony%20Toran
0 link
Koenig
Koenig

12/6/2016
Exactly how difficult is it to raise a Noman to maturity? I only have two tears of the Bazaar, so will this be enough, and what else will I need to do?

--

Koenig: Extraordinary. Invisible. Shattering. Legendary.

0 link
Toran
Toran

12/6/2016
Historically it's been possible to finish the Noman story with two to three weeks of semicasual card flipping and no item investment. They usually lived through two Time The Healers without any effort. So the main thing to worry about is to create your Noman right after your individual Time.

--
I have a Hepta-Goat. Do you have a Hepta-Goat?
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Anthony%20Toran
+3 link
Skinnyman
Skinnyman

12/8/2016
Think a small bump is appropriate as Lacre just made it's appearance!

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
0 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

12/8/2016
Hey guys, thanks for remembering this! smile

Just did a few minor edits, putting in Phryne's information about the S&C Long-Boxes and an urgent note to use today's Snow-Pail access code.

--
Rupho Schartenhauer has killed a Master, well: most of it.
Cortez the Killer has killed a Master, definitely.
Deepdelver has begotten a star. It's... complicated.
Dr. Kvirkvelia, gone NORTH on 23/12/1894.
0 link
idyl
idyl

12/9/2016
I notice that the description for the Pail of So-Called Snow states:
>This will melt when winter passes! Use it by mid-January. (emphasis mine)

But the wiki states:
>A WARNING! This will melt when winter passes! Use it soon.

Is this a change for this year? Possibly in an attempt to make keeping a Noman more difficult?
edited by idyl on 12/9/2016

--
“Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est"
0 link
suinicide
suinicide

12/9/2016
I think thats about the time it normally melts, so they might just be clarifying.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/profile/sunnytime
A gentleman seeking the liberation of knowledge, with a penchant for violence.
RIP suinicide, stuck in a well. Still has it under control.
0 link
dov
dov

12/9/2016
idyl wrote:
I notice that the description for the Pail of So-Called Snow states:
>This will melt when winter passes! Use it by mid-January. (emphasis mine)

But the wiki states:
>A WARNING! This will melt when winter passes! Use it soon.

Is this a change for this year? Possibly in an attempt to make keeping a Noman more difficult?

These types of time-related in-game descriptions tend to change a lot, as FBG fine-tune their messages.
We try to keep the wiki up to date, but it's not an official wiki, and it's always possible that it has incorrect info.

That said - I don't see the mid-January text in the item description of my Pail of So-Called Snow. Where do you see it?

--
Want a sip of Hesperidean Cider? Send me a request in-game. Here's an_ocelot's guide how.
(Most social actions are welcome. Please no requests to Loiter Suspiciously and no investigations of the Affluent Photographer)
0 link
Hannah Flynn
Hannah Flynn
Administrator

12/9/2016
We're attempting to give more clarity on these descriptions, including dates where prudent, but this is an ideal opportunity for me to remind you: if you care about the outcomes of a seasonal event, beware brinksmanship. Small things like timezones and server outages can spoil an otherwise lovely season for you. smile

--
Wields the news canon, aboard the hype train.
+4 link
Cernunnas
Cernunnas

12/9/2016
What an outstanding guide! Thank you so much.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Cernunnas

Shrewd and ruthless lady, dwells in the shadows, has a fascination for Devils and adores all things grotesque and bizarre. She prefers solitude, but despite her unpredictability, hunger for raw flesh and almost psychotic nature, will accept any social interaction if accompanied by a proper message.
0 link
narcomanic
narcomanic

12/12/2016
Thought I'd note that doing the Master's option to clear out the snow didn't give me any Taste of Lacre. Instead it says "Putting the Pieces Together: the Taste of Lacre has not changed from 3 because it's higher than 0". So, maybe do this option first before examining any Pails you might've gotten from the Advent Calendar?

--
Cecilia Vass, a Shattering Force available for patronage. Warning: You will get stabbed. Take it as a compliment.

Currently rallying mobs for Feducci.
+1 link
Rupho Schartenhauer
Rupho Schartenhauer

12/12/2016
A reminder that the Advent Calendar code for an extra Pail of Snow will expire tomorrow... those of you active on social networks might want to make sure none of your FL-playing friends miss out! smile

--
Rupho Schartenhauer has killed a Master, well: most of it.
Cortez the Killer has killed a Master, definitely.
Deepdelver has begotten a star. It's... complicated.
Dr. Kvirkvelia, gone NORTH on 23/12/1894.
+1 link