Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Is the world reset when you continue your game? Messages in this topic - RSS

AzuredreamsXT
AzuredreamsXT

11/3/2015
With a descendant? The game is largely story driven I am told, do the story events reset with descending captains? That wouldn't make much sense, so i'm hoping it's not the case.
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

11/3/2015
Yes, the world is reset. I'm glad it is - otherwise, your subsequent captains might not have any stories to play!

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
0 link

11/3/2015
I wonder how much the Bazaar had to pay the Timelords (before they got Timelocked of course) to allow the timey-wimey continuity that the FL/Unterzee alternate reality world has?
Any how much more it cost so it wouldn't be taken over by Daleks, Cybermen, Silurian already in the interior earth, etc?

• edited by the truthseeker on 11/3/2015
  • 0 link
    AzuredreamsXT
    AzuredreamsXT

11/3/2015
    So characters that died come back to life? Events all revert as if they never happened? It's like your descendant travels through time bringing with him whatever you chose as your legacy?
    0 link
    phryne
    phryne

11/3/2015
    AzuredreamsXT wrote:
    So characters that died come back to life? Events all revert as if they never happened? It's like your descendant travels through time bringing with him whatever you chose as your legacy?

Well, yes and no. If a character dies on Aug 5, 1890, that's where the next character's game starts. Of course, there's a certain amount of repetition, but that's the only way to really learn how to play the game - learn from the mistakes that got you killed in the first place. Also, the islands of the Unterzee shift position with each new game and have to be rediscovered. In the end, there's enough content in there to make each character's game unique.
    Regarding continuity, I think this is one of the reasons the people you meet in FL/SS don't have names: who's to say it's the same Merchant Venturer, the same Tireless Mechanic etc.?

--
    Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown GuideDestiny Guide
    Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
    +1 link
    Kittenpox
    Kittenpox

11/4/2015
    I haven't played for a while (only recently reinstalled Sunless Sea after losing things to a hard drive failure a while back) so I can't remember the specifics, but:

One of the Legacy options allows you to retain your map, if you so choose. I can't remember what the prerequisites are, but you should be able to see it onscreen after your first captain dies - along with the other Legacy stuff.

--
    Kittenpox
    Current [Fabulous Diamond] count: Twenty-Five (of 50). Halfway there! ^_^
    Metaphysical Caprice: 11.
    -
    Currently: Returned to the Neath, and regaining my footing in this place. :-)
    NO PLANT BATTLES PLEASE.
    0 link
    John Savage
    John Savage

11/13/2015
    Kittenpox wrote:
    I haven't played for a while (only recently reinstalled Sunless Sea after losing things to a hard drive failure a while back) so I can't remember the specifics, but:

One of the Legacy options allows you to retain your map, if you so choose. I can't remember what the prerequisites are, but you should be able to see it onscreen after your first captain dies - along with the other Legacy stuff.

One of the Warrants of Redemption is "Correspondent," where you inherit 50% of the old Captain's Pages and the map stays the same. That being said, the stories still reset. The trouble with already having a charted map is that you are severely limited in the number of Secrets you can build with Fragments.

--
    If at first you don't succeed, shoot it again.
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/John~Savage

Scandal and suspicion! Suspicion and scandal! I miss the old days when only blood mattered.
    0 link