Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

The Chapel of Lights...the Chapel of LIGHTS? Messages in this topic - RSS

Chaoseed
Chaoseed

3/28/2015
Sure, the Chapel of Lights has fires and torches and things, but if you visit there enough you realize that's not exactly what they're interested in up there. So is that what "lights" necessarily means? What if it means sense 2, as in "lungs", as in "heart and lights"...As in something that could be eaten. As in, a reckoning will not be postponed indefinitely...

Am I experiencing an apophenic fit, or am I merely cottoning on to something everyone else already knows?

--
@Chaoseed on Twitter and Echo Bazaar
+1 link
phryne
phryne

3/28/2015
As a non-native speaker I wasn't aware of this meaning of "lights", so thanks for bringing this up... the name doesn't really make any sense otherwise, so you could be on the right path there!

--
Exceptional Stories, sorted by Season and by writerFavours & Renown GuideDestiny Guide
Go play StoryNexus games - while you still can!
0 link
Captain Ancalagon
Captain Ancalagon

3/28/2015
Huh - I'm not a native speaker either but I have been speaking English for decades, and I wasn't aware of this...
0 link
OctaviaCrowe
OctaviaCrowe

3/28/2015
Well, the Drowned God is

[spoiler]
MR. Eaten, who was Mr. Candles, so the lights represent him.[/spoiler]
edited by babelfishwars on 3/29/2015

--
Ms. Octavia Crowe, the Hellfaring Mystic, former keeper of the Books of Brass. The Seeking... the Name... it has devoured... everything.
0 link
WireWolf
WireWolf

3/28/2015
I'm a native English speaker and I wasn't aware of this. O.o

--
When Mortals from the path of Honour stray,and strong passions over reason sway,
What are they then but Brutes? ‘Tis vice alone that constitutes. Th’enchanting wand and magic bowl,
The exterior form of Man they wear,But are in fact both Wolf and Bear,The transformation’s in the Soul.
0 link
zwol
zwol

3/29/2015
Students of the lore will also note that there is a large well on the Chapel's island.
+1 link
Clovermite
Clovermite

3/29/2015
OctaviaCrowe wrote:
Well, the Drowned God is

MR. Eaten, who was Mr. Candles, so the lights represent him.

Fyi - you can put 'spoiler' in square brackets to hide the text. It looks something like this: [replace with spoiler]Text to hide[/replace with spoiler]

And when done correctly:

[spoiler]Is Mr Eaten the monk that greets you at the chapel then? I keep seeing people refer to him on the forums, but I'm not sure who we are talking about. And Mr. Candles - does that mean he is a Master of the Bazaar? I've been playing Fallen London for about a year now, and there is still so much I don't know. I haven't yet made "Person of some importance"[/spoiler]
0 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro

3/29/2015
[spoiler]Mr Eaten is Mr Candles. He was a Master who was stabbed, drowned in a well, and consumed. Mr Veils arranged it in order to obtain the Third City as well as eliminate a perceived threat. Whether Mr Eaten was actually involved in what happened in the Second City isn't known, as far as I'm aware. I haven't played Sunless Sea yet, so I'm not sure if there are any clues about what actually happened back then.[/spoiler]

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
+1 link
Clovermite
Clovermite

3/29/2015
Thanks Sara!

If you don't mind me asking - did you find all that out as part of normal play in Fallen London, or is it hidden behind fate locked stories?
If part of normal play, do I need to raise my "Connected to Masters" trait to get to them?

That's the kind of background information I'd really like to get to, but I feel like most of all I encounter is silly errands. I'm hoping this is mainly just because I haven't reached "person of some importance" status yet. In many ways, I feel like I've almost learned more about the Fallen London universe from a few weeks playing Sunless Sea than I have in a year playing Fallen London.
edited by Clovermite on 3/29/2015
0 link
OctaviaCrowe
OctaviaCrowe

3/29/2015
Its mostly in the Seeking Mr. Eatens Name storylets, which have been shut down due to being both unofficial amd ruinously damaging. They may come back some day.

--
Ms. Octavia Crowe, the Hellfaring Mystic, former keeper of the Books of Brass. The Seeking... the Name... it has devoured... everything.
0 link
Captain Ancalagon
Captain Ancalagon

3/29/2015
WireWolf wrote:
I'm a native English speaker and I wasn't aware of this. O.o

That's somewhat reassuring smile
0 link
OctaviaCrowe
OctaviaCrowe

3/29/2015
I was, but only due to a lifetime of reading fantasy books filled with archaic English, and history books filled with even more.

I song Old English songs in the shower, even.

--
+1 link
Marianne Anders
Marianne Anders

3/30/2015
[spoiler] actually, Mr. Eaten gets a storylet at Sacksmas where he asks you to accept his heart and lights. so probably a good connection there. [/spoiler]

i also was unaware of this meaning until FL. and then it turned up in my early and middle english literature class. :P

--
Not all who wander are lost. Sometimes, they are very lost.
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Marianne~Anders
+3 link
Lashkar
Lashkar

4/5/2015
There's also a story in Shepherd Isles, one of the Thornwell Croft-related ones that references "The Ship of Lights" but Light in that one is referred to as "that old devil". If Light is literally a devil that's kind of inconsistent. If the crofters just meant devil metaphorically it would make more sense.

A ship captained by [spoiler]Mr Eaten[/spoiler]....eeeeeeeee.

--
Wriothesley: Call me "Risley". My first character, around midgame
Asesina Ballenas: whale killer. Alt, recently PoSI
Happy to accept most social actions; will help with menace reduction if it's reciprocated.
+1 link