Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Commiseration: Our most painful failures Messages in this topic - RSS

Skinnyman
Skinnyman

4/23/2020
phryne wrote:
When you've been playing for years, and still forget that going to Zee resets certain qualities... there you go, Inspired... 22 upset
I think this happens to all of us multiple times with multiple qualities! Big Grin

--
ESs items and quality requirements sheet. Please check if there are errors or if something is missing
Achievement list if you're feeling bored!
I am accepting Plant battles, Neath's Mysteries card, Starveling Cats and boxed cats.
No suppers, no second chances gain and no need to cure my menaces!
+3 link
Minerva Tree
Minerva Tree

5/30/2020
Accidentally buying a Starstone Demark while grinding for the top-tier items... and then finding out a week later I need a Reported Location of One-Time Prince of Hell to advance with my ambition.
+5 link
Ruddertail
Ruddertail

8/14/2020
Failed twice on a 99% success check over 10 actions.

Twice!

The forgotten quarter is extremely cursed.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Ruddertail
+1 link
PJ
PJ

8/16/2020
I clicked the option to "Reveal the Wandering Gondolier's plans". ☹️

I don't understand why Failbetter put that option at the top of the storylet where you explore the locks. It's obviously not something anyone interested in exploring would click on intentionally. And the "reward" you get is an extra slap in the face, as it only lets you skip a small fraction of the grind oyu would need to finish your exploration, but you can't finish your exploration without the Gondolier.

--
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Peter%20James
0 link
Quidam
Quidam

8/19/2020
I had a Shadowy of 2014 without modifier. I had managed to grind my Nobility up to 15 in the time where you had to spend Notability to overcap. Yesterday, I was trying to obtain all the item in the Wrecker's Cove on Mutton Island. I had to obtain a certain number in the Sights at the Festival quality to be able to give my Strange Catch to Mrs Plen... I mean the Hooded Lady. I was really unlucky, so I kept playing option in The Fruit of the Zee Festival! which raised my nightmare and wound. I could diminished my wound with The Home of Rubbery Lumps, but eventually I got too cocky, and my wound reach 8. So I got kicked out of the island and MY SHADOWY DROPED TO 2010! ARGGGGHHHH. I needed those level to augment my Renown:Urchin! I can't blame the RNG, I'm just a massive moron. That being said, I do appreciate that the game has teeth sometimes, but then I'm a weirdo.
edited by Quidam on 8/19/2020

--
Just another face in the crowd (Quidam)
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Quidam
A hunger, a curse, a question (Limos)
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Limos
Limos his finally in the hell she always thought she deserved
Glory and fame is all a Lady of Adventure need (Arcanzola de' Medici)
https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Arcanzola%20de'%20Medici
0 link
Kylestien
Kylestien

8/19/2020
More of a RP failing then a mechnical failing, and one that is more of hindsight:

I decided a while back that, thanks to certain revelations in one ambition, and my highest Renown being Great Game, that my character would be a spy seeking to prevent, or at least lessen, the impact of World War 1. The plan was to prevent a endless war of violence, or at least lessen the timeframe.

Then the cat won and declared war on Parabola.

Now his workload has tripled and involves impossible factors as well, he has to stop or lessen not one but two wars, and he just wants to drink Black Wings Absinthe untill his liver gives out at the tragedy. But a job has to be done.
edited by Kylestien on 8/19/2020

--
I will accept all actions, though I hold the right to refuse for my own reasons. However, if you explain WHY you send me a harmful action like Loitering or Dantes,And I feel the reason good, I will consider it more. https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Kylestien

Paramount Presense. Any lesson you desire to learn, I shall impart it. (:
+1 link
Tystefy
Tystefy

8/19/2020
I was trying to find the Hooded Lady at the Fruits of the Zee Festival for 100+ actions.

I'm not joking. I legit spent a day and a half in real life absolutely failing to find her. I had to leave Mutton Island twice to recover my menaces.

The worst part? 90% of those actions were spent with the Curate and the Cook. Mechanically speaking, this means I rolled a 67 - 100 out of 100 ninety times. I needed to roll a 86 - 100 to find the lady.

This means I rolled between 67 and 85 ninety times.

THEN... FINALLY, I find her, and before my brain can react, I click the Curate option again.

Now she's gone for who knows how long once more...

-
edited by Tystefy on 8/19/2020

--
Will sometimes return to post absurdity.
+5 link
Aiza Moor
Aiza Moor

8/24/2020
Minerva Tree wrote:
and then finding out a week later I need a Reported Location of One-Time Prince of Hell to advance with my ambition.
Ah yes, I too was very smugly patting my shiny new Rumourmonger's Network a mere two weeks before hitting this moment in HD.

--
Professor Aiza Moor - Correspondent. Poet-Laureate. Essentially, a writer.
Belvedere Grimke
Accepting social actions (no plant battles or starveling cats please!)
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

11/2/2020
I mistakenly took Hubris' suspicion-reducing gear off, and, in the resulting legal fracas, he dropped from Connected: Masters 10 to 9. This was immediately before he reached Station VIII, where he had hoped to build a statue of himself in the company of the Masters, which, of course, requires Connected 10. D'you suppose he'll get enough points at Christmas to repair the damage?

--
Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
+4 link
Lady Sapho Byron
Lady Sapho Byron

11/2/2020
Diptych wrote:
I mistakenly took Hubris' suspicion-reducing gear off, and, in the resulting legal fracas, he dropped from Connected: Masters 10 to 9. This was immediately before he reached Station VIII, where he had hoped to build a statue of himself in the company of the Masters, which, of course, requires Connected 10. D'you suppose he'll get enough points at Christmas to repair the damage?

Ooooof! That's rough! :-(

The silver lining, perhaps, is the head-canon that can be formed around a legal fracas resulting from merely changing one's clothing.

--
http://fallenlondon.com/Profile/Lady%20Sapho%20L%20Byron
Fighting the Menace of Corsetry Since 1892.
+4 link
Douglas Goldstein
Douglas Goldstein

11/5/2020
The Skeptic who drags you out to the far haunted House? (March 2019) I let him go nuts on moonlight and lost him for good. Come Hallowmas this year, he's a key component to a Player of Chess Boost. +2 out of 7, and it was HELL getting Chess 100 from player interactions and three trips to / from the Boatman. I had to drop fate and save his moon-mazed butt, so I could haul him back to the attendants.
0 link
Douglas Goldstein
Douglas Goldstein

11/5/2020
Remember when Notability was as precious as Echoes? And the Amaneunsis was as slippery as an eel? I was out of town, and didn't keep track, and lost my Waves over and over and over until I lost a Notability, because he just kept razzing me.
0 link