Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Venturer's Materials with starting ship Messages in this topic - RSS

2/17/2015
I want to go up north with him. However I also want to leave some money for my Scion. Blowing 7k echoes to buy a ship to be used one time (maybe it can be sold after?) would wipe out my saving. Is there a way to use the starting ship to carry the materials to Avid Horizon ? I can kill zeebeasts for food, but what about fuel ?
0 mark as "accepted answer" link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
I don't think it's doable. However, ships do have trade-in value now -- 50% of their buy price -- so it won't be completely gone.
Gregg Johnson
Gregg Johnson

2/17/2015
It's not possible to reach Avid Horizon with all 40 materials in the starter boat. If you don't go through the gate, you can downgrade to the steam launch before retiring to gain some of the money back.
edited by Olorin on 2/17/2015
GerbilSchooler
GerbilSchooler

2/17/2015
I really don't understand why the starter boat doesn't have 45 hold...

2/17/2015
OMG I just failed to get the Codex.

Apparently you need to have 50 hearts AND a searing enigma to go with him. I'm just so frustrated right now. I had already went through the same thing with Station III and the Acolyte. Had to sail around the are for many minutes only to miss out on the legacy item because I tried roleplaying my character and did not choose the "Real Consolation" option at the very end.

Afterward I did all 10 of the extremely tedious Venturer's quest in hope of a legacy item and failed cos I didnt know about the additional requirements. Wish the game would tell us about something like that in advance. Should have taken my own advice and read the Wiki thoroughly before attempting a quest / storyline.

I think I'm done with the game now. Uninstalled from SSD. Hopefully they'd make many many life improvements in the near future as I still think it has great potential due to the setting. But for now I'm very disappointed in the game itself as I'm stoked and bought it instantly after reading Eurogamer's 10/10 verdict, but many of its mechanics, especially sailing, are just inadequate. The stories are pretty good but they not enough, given I could just pick up a book and read interesting stories without having to do tedious thing like sail around. Still have hope for a better Sunless Sea in the future though.
edited by malavore on 2/17/2015
Owen Wulf
Owen Wulf

2/17/2015
Don't worry about the Venturer, you can get the exact same legacy later at the Empire of Hands. If you have not already set up the blimp with the monkeys that is. But yeah, that sounds pretty bad - I think Failbetter should have had the Venturer mention something about what we would need to come with him. You see, this is exactly why I never play on Invictus Mode.

---
edited by Owen Wulf on 2/17/2015

--
Owen Wulf's Profile Lanzo Hoffman’s Profile Lukas Uller’s Profile
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

2/17/2015
You *can* get the Boke of Sharpes and the (possibly, though it would be a pain) the Travelling Light with the starting ship. Dream of Red too if you're even a little lucky.

I do agree that the game is generally much more approachable if you use the wiki. Fortunately the wiki rarely contains significant plot/text spoilers and is usually good about just listing requirements, though even if isn't complete (for example, travelling light requires salt and storm's attention at the conclusion).
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 2/17/2015

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Doctor~Hieronymous

Please, no photographers.

2/17/2015
My problem is more with the mechanics of the game. So many things are unclear, not mentioned at all or worse misleading. I remember in Savior's Rock there's an option to trade supplies for silk which is unlocked when your supply is > 2. However picking that option would trade 4 Supply for 1 Silk and in my particular case, it actually used up all my supply since I thought with 2 supplies I could reach Aestive. I dont remember if it was game over due to starvation afterwards or I just quit in disgust.

PS
The Venturer is like a friend who asked if you wanna hang out tonight with him and his friends yet when you show up in his house, he'd say "Wtf dude, you're NOT wearing a Tuxedo and top hat. No, you cant come with us." Shoulda said something.
edited by malavore on 2/17/2015
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

2/17/2015
You don't wear a top hat with a tuxedo. You only wear a top hat with a formal coat with long tails. Long coat, tall hat; short coat, short hat.

(It's been a while since I've played that part of the Venturer story, but can't you just cancel out of the story, go and get the stats/items you need, then come back? Plus, the option to go with him isn't what I'd call the proper end to the quest - more of an alternate ending, to the quest and to the game as a whole. It'd be nice if it were signposted, but you can still end the quest and get your reward without going with him.)

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
What hat do you wear with a dimension-defying coat of immeasurable eldritch horrors?
Owen Wulf
Owen Wulf

2/17/2015
Fretling wrote:
What hat do you wear with a dimension-defying coat of immeasurable eldritch horrors?

Bowlers of course - otherwise a sprightly bonnet will do.

--
Owen Wulf's Profile Lanzo Hoffman’s Profile Lukas Uller’s Profile
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
I love how threads here veer off-topic so quickly. But malavore - that's the charm of this game (for me at least). You have no idea what clicking something will do. It's not obvious. There's no right answer. Like in real life. It's not a game. It's an adventure.