Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Does crew size affect consumption rate of supplies Messages in this topic - RSS

Dagmar
Dagmar

2/17/2015
Does crew size affect consumption rate of supplies?
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
Absolutely. Hunger goes up by the total crew number every few seconds. Running a small crew is far cheaper.
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/17/2015
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
No, it goes up in half-of-your-total-crew increments, rounded to the nearest even number if fractional.
0 link
Gregg Johnson
Gregg Johnson

2/17/2015
And "every few seconds" is every 10 seconds. Possibly more if you're experiencing stuttering.
0 link
Rapiere
Rapiere

2/17/2015
a sweet spot for the cargo ship is 25 crew, give enough margin while needing 50 seconds to use up one supply. You can try also 19 crew, for one supply every 60 seconds.
0 link
delta_angelfire
delta_angelfire

2/17/2015
also, your crew is fed at 50 or more and resets to zero. So based on how the math works, having 19 crew has the same consumption rate as having 24 crew (something I learned the hard way when I got my merchant ship)
0 link

2/17/2015
First, disclaimer. The game does not require maths to play or enjoy. If you are allergic to maths, ignore everything but the last paragraph.

I've prepared a chart of seconds per supply, as well as how much "extra" hunger each supply crate feeds, for crew count from 1-30:

http://pastebin.com/EmC9MZWV

This is somewhat preliminary. It relies on two assumptions that I need to test:
1) The crew is fed when Hunger >= 50, not > 50.
2) Hunger uses ties-round-to-even rounding, as others have stated.

----

Conclusion:
The ideal number of crew on departure from port is either 17 or 25. 18-19 are acceptable if you expect to lose a few crew soon after leaving London, such as on a Surface visit.
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
I like 14 in the Frigate. The times I accidentally get up to 15 -- or take on an extra for whatever reason -- well, 10 seconds per increment means it's only 10 seconds less per supply, but it *feels* like I burn through supplies at a prodigious rate compared to 14.
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
With WE ARE CLAY, I run 12/22 in the frigate.
0 link
Shadow
Shadow

2/17/2015
That's quite risky, considering you're just a mishap or two away from being undermanned and stuck at half speed.

--
In Her Enduring Majesty's Service
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
Fourteen's not so bad. Other than the first time I visited the Grand Geode after its completion, I haven't ever lost a zailor without being aware that it was a possibility and prepared for half-speed.
0 link
Rocket Heeled Jack
Rocket Heeled Jack

2/17/2015
SporksAreGoodForYou wrote:
With WE ARE CLAY, I run 12/22 in the frigate.

Likewise, but I also run with an Avid suppressor, the engine going is the only thing that's ever caused me serious problems.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rocket~Heeled~Jack
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/18/2015
Shadow wrote:
That's quite risky, considering you're just a mishap or two away from being undermanned and stuck at half speed.

Right, but with the impeller and avid suppressor also equipped, half speed + full power is hardly ever more than 30s away from more crew.
I also save a buttload on supplies (I rarely buy them, and mostly sell, because it seems like everything everywhere gives supplies).

Likewise, but I also run with an Avid suppressor, the engine going is the only thing that's ever caused me serious problems.

me too! Head up North. Farm a few lifebergs. Loot for supplies and fuel. Throw inevitable excess supplies overboard. Go do things. Repeat. Genuinely, my major gripe right now is waiting outside ports for SAY. But that's probably #fwp.
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/18/2015
0 link