Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

Eater of Names? Messages in this topic - RSS

AgentTBC
AgentTBC

2/17/2015
So the only First Curator Neathbow color I still need is Gant. I'm trying to find the Eater of Names so I can get that and for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. Where does this thing hang out?

I do realize I can get the Gant curio through the Chapel of Lights but I'd rather not go that route. I know it must be possible to find this zee monster! A little help?
0 link
delta_angelfire
delta_angelfire

2/17/2015
i think i read somewhere that you have to burn down the tree of ages during the Nativity storyline to make it spawn. can anyone confirm?

also this: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic15529-a-missing-figurehead.aspx
edited by delta_angelfire on 2/17/2015
0 link
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

2/17/2015
There's supposedly also an option for Gant in Frostfound.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Doctor~Hieronymous

Please, no photographers.
0 link
AgentTBC
AgentTBC

2/17/2015
Oh, I haven't finished the Nativity line. Maybe I'll try that.

I could try Frostfound again but I must have used 70 zee-stories/tales of terror/memories/etc during my first go-through to get the Engineer's Secret. My skills only give me like a 20% of success on the checks and it sure seemed like that 20% success only happened 10% of the time.
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
Heh, I just took the hit to my stats after the first room or two. Frostfound is pretty intense.
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
[spoiler]It has a 20% chance of spawning in the Chelonate
Gamefile says:
"Name" : "ChelonateEaterOfNames",
"Spawns" : [{
"SpawnName" : "EaterOfNames",
"Position" : {
"X" : 1177,
"Y" : 321
},
"Radius" : 300,
"MaxSpawnPopulation" : 1,
"DiscoveryValue" : 20,
[/spoiler]
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/17/2015
0 link
AgentTBC
AgentTBC

2/17/2015
20% of spawning when? What causes the 20% chance to fire? If its just at game start...
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
Most beasties spawn at game start or a while after they're no longer at MaxSpawnPopulation, I think.
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
I've poked a little further, and it seems like discoveryvalue is the fragment reward for first finding them (which would make more sense), since the jillyfleur outside the salt lions has a value of 20.

Looking into the spawns files, there's no eater in the spawn_import, so I'm guessing it's not actually in this patch. But this is what it would be, were it in

[spoiler]"Name": "EaterOfNames",
"HumanName": "Eater of Names",
"Neutral": false,
"Description": null,
"PrefabName": "Fierce/Ships/EaterOfNames",
"DormantBehaviour": "Wandering",
"AwareBehaviour": "HuntingPlus",
"Hull": 700,
"Crew": 77,
"Life": 0,
"MovementSpeed": 12,
"RotationSpeed": 0.6,
"BeastieCharacteristicsName": "GenericShip",
"BeastieCharacteristics": null,
"CombatAttackNames": ["DeckSalvo06",
"ForwardSalvo06",
"AftSalvo02"],
"CombatItems": [],
"StartCombatEventId": 0,
"PacifyEventId": 182154,
"KillQualityEventId": 153582,
"LootPrefabName": "Crates",
"GleamValue": 0,
"ParentSpawnPoint": null

note that the glorious dreadnought has 05 level attacks, and this has 06
And it's slower than the GD, but turns a LOT faster (14/0.6 respectively)[/spoiler]
edited by SporksAreGoodForYou on 2/17/2015
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
Somebody said they'd seen it, though. A case of "manually delete some files to force redownload of properly up-to-date ones"?
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
Fretling wrote:
Somebody said they'd seen it, though. A case of "manually delete some files to force redownload of properly up-to-date ones"?

Hrm. Perhaps they're running an old version? I've been hanging around the Chelonate a LOT (as you know ; ) and haven't seen it.
0 link
AgentTBC
AgentTBC

2/17/2015
Ok, can anybody confirm they've seen the Eater of Names in the last, oh, 5 days? Should be easy enough to confirm.
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/17/2015
Oh yeah, there was that person who uploaded a picture to the wiki and started the Eater of Names stub -- they've seen it. Either it's ultrasuperrare or there's some Shenanigans going on.

edit: http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Eater_of_Names
they might have been holding on to the screenshot and info from earlier before, but the page was created this Saturday only.
edited by Fretling on 2/17/2015
0 link
Gregg Johnson
Gregg Johnson

2/17/2015
I definitely saw it after release. However, there are a few other pre-release bugs hanging out in the latest steam build (Salt Lions Port Report zero-ing Admiralty's Favour for one, no map labels near Port Carnelian, etc.), so maybe something got reverted by accident? I haven't seen Blue Prophets or Behemoustaches recently (since about the 10th) either.
edited by Olorin on 2/17/2015
0 link
AgentTBC
AgentTBC

2/17/2015
Ditto here, nothing but Mt Nomad.
0 link
Rocket Heeled Jack
Rocket Heeled Jack

2/17/2015
Nope, never seen it, it's on my "rumoured but not confirmed" list.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Rocket~Heeled~Jack
0 link
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/17/2015
So, there was just an update. As a test, I deleted all my datafiles, so I could be sure they'd update properly. There's definitely, 100% no way to spawn the eater at the moment. It's simply not in the files that the game loads.
0 link
Fretling
Fretling

2/18/2015
That is really weird, because just today, somebody updated the Eater of Names wiki page with new information about the post-battle interactions. Maybe they just have an older version and aren't updating with the story updates.
0 link
Diptych
Diptych
Administrator

2/18/2015
Huh. For what it's worth, I've never seen the Eater spawn, or a Behemoustache, or a Blue Prophet.

--
Sir Frederick, the Libertarian Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9

2/18/2015
Yeah, a lot of spawn points seem to be spawning the wrong thing entirely, as far as I can tell; Blue Prophet spawns seem to produce Jillyfish, what purports to be Tree of Ages one spawns Tyrant-Moths, some other things. But I have heard reports of people murdering Blue Prophets and gathering their Royal Blue Feathers, so I don't really know what's actually the deal.

--
my rats will blot out the sun
Ratgames
FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
#FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
#SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
0 link