Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeSunless Sea

A game of survival, trade and exploration in the universe of Fallen London

How to Setup my Dynasty Messages in this topic - RSS

2/15/2015
Right, so I'm having problems with a lot of story lines in Sunless Sea, usually because the required character stats are pretty damn high. So I've been thinking I shouldnt try to complete those storylines with my beginning captains (on my third right now) and what I should do is try to genetic engineer the perfect Scion (or heir). What's the optimal way in creating a great starting character that can be used to finally reveal the stories in Sunless Sea ?

I'm thinking the +25 stat persistent legacy items are near mandatory for the perfect run. Which one should I gun for as first and second ? The Sphinxstone one does -sounds- easy.
+1 mark as "accepted answer" link
delta_angelfire
delta_angelfire

2/15/2015
you can get a legacy of +25 Hearts or Mirrors (don't know which one because of a bug) by taking the Scarred Sister to the Surface. That was the first one I got. After that the Venturers desires and following across Avid Horizon seems pretty good. I finished that about halfway through once I figured out how to get scintillack from the Chess playing, but I chose not to follow because I wasn't done with that character. The north seemed a lot easier to work with especially with the really cheap fuel you can find at Palmerston (and the really nice event where you find a cliff that increases your stats by 5 by considering your past)

Early on taking the Legacy that lets you keep a weapon is good, especially if you spent your life savings on a hellthrasher before you died.

If you want a nice money boost at game start, try a run straight to Avid Horizon at the start of the game and use your beginner's luck there. you can use some stuff you get there for a nice starting money boost after a couple trades.
edited by delta_angelfire on 2/15/2015
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

2/15/2015
You can easily get the Hearts and Iron one in the same run (i.e., your current one), then end your game with either the North one or the East one. Then in the second run, start with a mysterious past or whatever and run sphinxstone to Penstock, and end it with the other suicide option you didn't take before, and that's all five. Hearts is a *little* luck dependent (you have to pass some checks to get the Scarred Sister in the first place) so she might have to wait till your second run.

If you save weapons I'd recommend saving the Memento Mori, there's a benefit to having two of them in the same game.
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 2/15/2015

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Doctor~Hieronymous

Please, no photographers.
+1 link

2/15/2015
I would love me some Iron. Could you give me some hints on how to start the storyline
0 mark as "accepted answer" link
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

2/15/2015
Iron is very easy -- go to Vienna and, y'know, be helpful. http://sunlesssea.gamepedia.com/Legacy for full info on them all. Most of them actually aren't that hard (A Traveling Light is probably most difficult; make sure you have stone, storm, and salt's attention before you fully commit).

--

SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/15/2015
It's also worth noting, there's not a lot of problems with failing challenges. Some of them (like, stats above 200 for success) are basically impossible, and a lot of the time, you'll just pick up some terror or lose some echoes if you fail, so it's not the end of the world.

Sidenote: are these legacies permanent? Like, if I get the boke, do I have the boke for the rest of my dynasty?
GerbilSchooler
GerbilSchooler

2/15/2015
Yes, Legacies should last a whole dynasty.
Gregg Johnson
Gregg Johnson

2/15/2015
SporksAreGoodForYou wrote:
Some of them (like, stats above 200 for success) are basically impossible, and a lot of the time, you'll just pick up some terror or lose some echoes if you fail, so it's not the end of the world.

Failing challenges in e.g. Frostfound cause you lose terror, along with the item the test required.

[spoiler]Because of how Frostfound works, this is a bad thing.[/spoiler]
SporksAreGoodForYou
SporksAreGoodForYou

2/16/2015
Gregg Johnson wrote:
Failing challenges in e.g. Frostfound cause you lose terror, along with the item the test required.

Yep. Frostfound is pretty much the exception, though, as far as I can tell, and you need 50 mirrors to get in anyway, so I'm not certain it applies to Malavore at this stage.

[spoiler]That being said, most of the stuff you use there is stuff that's barely worth selling, and I had 10s of each of them. But it did have me very confused when I appeared to be going backwards. I thought at first that if you didn't take the stat hit, the next room was random.[/spoiler]
Dumont
Dumont

2/16/2015
It's possible to crank out... I think four, on the same run. Boke of Sharps and the alternate for Horizon Codex are mutually exclusive (as both shutter the admiralty), and the standard method for the Horizon Codex and A Travelling Light are mutually exclusive, since both kind of end your game.

But it should be possible to get the Boke, the Dream, the Manual of Miracles, and either of the Codex or Travelling Light in one pass, if you're sufficiently nuts.

Start as a Shadowed Stranger, crank out the Manual of Miracles by running sphinxstone (may require 70 mirrors at the end?)
Finish out either of the Hunters Keep or Station III storylines for the Dream of Red.
Go ahead and set up the Anarchists in Vienna for the Boke.
Then take your choice of endings for the Codex or the Travelling Light.

... actually, that's shockingly doable, now that I lay it out.
edited by Dumont on 2/16/2015
Asclepius Unbound
Asclepius Unbound

2/16/2015
Dumont wrote:
But it should be possible to get the Boke, the Dream, the Manual of Miracles, and either of the Codex or Travelling Light in one pass, if you're sufficiently nuts.

Start as a Shadowed Stranger, crank out the Manual of Miracles by running sphinxstone (may require 70 mirrors at the end?)
Finish out either of the Hunters Keep or Station III storylines for the Dream of Red.

Did it. smile

--
Alas, Asclepius Unbound is now forever beyond the reach of invitations. A successful Seeker.
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

2/16/2015
Dumont wrote:
It's possible to crank out... I think four, on the same run. Boke of Sharps and the alternate for Horizon Codex are mutually exclusive (as both shutter the admiralty), and the standard method for the Horizon Codex and A Travelling Light are mutually exclusive, since both kind of end your game.

edited by Dumont on 2/16/2015

Yeah, the only reason I say it takes two deaths is that generally people asking this question aren't still nameless mysterious strangers, so it'll take at least two passes. Either way with proper planning it's not hard to get all five.

The real issue is that passing North and flying East both require a couple of extra things that you don't necessarily have forewarning of (searing enigma for the portal North, Salt and. . Storm's? Maybe Stone's? Just two of them anyway and one is Salt) blessing for going East). So you can run into trouble if you've already shut yourself out of London or triggered the dialogue and don't have all the things you need.
edited by Dr. Hieronymous Alloy on 2/16/2015

--

Christian Nicholls
Christian Nicholls

2/16/2015
I was really tempted to take off east on my current game but this captain's barely started and I want to restock my heirlooms and get the boke of sharps first, at minimum! I'll have to remember to check I have the blessings before I DO do it though. I had to run to Irem to buy the extraordinary implications for a searing enigma last captain so I could go north.

2/16/2015
Ok. Finally got the Boke.
Damn me, but it was effin' repetitive. Luckily it was a rather safe route so I can just watch a movie after setting the course.

Chose a past so I only get 1k Echoes when doing the Sphinxstone (is the correct one delivering it to Ceylonate?). And for the legacy item, in addition to not choosing a past I will also need to have 70 mirrors ? 'cos thats a lot.

Phoebe died cos I didnt understand the quest. Kept capturing the Maid until the mansion caught fire. Hopefully the Station III ending will still be available. Gonna try to do this next. Would buying just one Long-Box be enough ? I only have 4 Secrets left.

PS
Oh my both the Admiralty and the Pigmote Isle are closed. Wonder where I can fix my hull now.
edited by malavore on 2/16/2015
Gregg Johnson
Gregg Johnson

2/16/2015
I'm almost certain you can do the alternative method for the Horizon Codex and then do the Boke of Sharpes (reverse order doesn't work). I would generally recommend against said alternative though, as I used it, and now need to resort to save-hacking to experience the standard method.

Hopefully the Station III ending will still be available. Gonna try to do this next. Would buying just one Long-Box be enough ? I only have 4 Secrets left.

One is enough, though you need heartmetal for something else too, which requires a second box. You can also buy them for 77 echoes when Wandering Khan's Heart at a certain little shop.

PS
Oh my both the Admiralty and the Pigmote Isle are closed. Wonder where I can fix my hull now.

Uhh... Dry Dock is still there, isn't it? You can still use Admiralty's Favour to repair, you just can't gain anymore. And I think the alternative Full Repair is only like 100 echoes?
edited by Olorin on 2/16/2015

2/16/2015
Haha. I always go to the dock through the Admiralty. Somehow just didnt notice I can simply go there from London.
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy
Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

2/16/2015
malavore wrote:

Chose a past so I only get 1k Echoes when doing the Sphinxstone (is the correct one delivering it to Ceylonate?).

In order to get the Manual of Miracles, you have to 1) not choose a past at all and 2) deliver sphinxstone to Penstock, in London.

--

fortluna
fortluna

2/16/2015
wait, you need phoebe to get the dream of red at station III.
  • 0 mark as "accepted answer" link
    WormApotheote
    WormApotheote

2/16/2015
    Dr. Hieronymous Alloy wrote:

Yeah, the only reason I say it takes two deaths is that generally people asking this question aren't still nameless mysterious strangers, so it'll take at least two passes. Either way with proper planning it's not hard to get all five.

The real issue is that passing North and flying East both require a couple of extra things that you don't necessarily have forewarning of (searing enigma for the portal North, Salt and. . Storm's? Maybe Stone's? Just two of them anyway and one is Salt) blessing for going East). So you can run into trouble if you've already shut yourself out of London or triggered the dialogue and don't have all the things you need.

If you aren't a shadowed stranger that still only is one death, since you can get Boke/Codex/Dream or Dream/Codex/Light on your current character, and then get the Manual and the other one you're missing on the next character.

Also the text for the zailing east with the Song of Salt would suggest once that ambition is in it'll make you lose your dynasty, so it'll reset the legacy items.

--
    No, I don't pull the Eater of Names.
    Gregg Johnson
    Gregg Johnson

2/16/2015
    fortluna wrote:
    wait, you need phoebe to get the dream of red at station III.

No, you don't. You only need Phoebe for the other way of getting it.