Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » Enlist other Players: the Singing Mandrake

Here you can find help from other players. Find a chess partner, someone to listen to your nightmares, or a clique.

Find Friends for sparring, dinners, chess & theft Messages in this topic - RSS

Something Evil
Something Evil
Posts: 2

3/4/2012
I'm also willing to help others with reducing menaces, especially wounds and suspicion, but since my character is persuasive and watchful-heavy, I might take a while answering to scandal and especially nightmare help requests.

@SomethingEvil90
edited by Something Evil on 3/4/2012
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger
Posts: 936

3/4/2012
Streetfelineblue, if you'll notice you're marked down under "All 4", which of course includes theft smile

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
Little The
Little The
Posts: 700

3/17/2012
Now that I have the full Screaming Map, and therefore have something to do other than grinding the Velocipede Squard quest endlessly, I must reduce my capacity to 1. I apologize for the sharp decline, but the action points do add up.

By the way, I managed to get an extra 30 First City Coins recently. Any Marvellers need them?

Edit: Oh, and another request -- no menace-related social actions, please. They're inefficient. Get a Winsome Depressed Orphan for Nightmares, get some Making Waves points for Scandal, and ignore Wounds and Suspicion. You'll be fine.
edited by Little The on 3/17/2012

--
A gentleman of numerous descriptors that change far too often. Second chance and menace reduction invites are welcome.

My journey to Seek the Name is recorded for posterity here. I asked "Who is Salt?"

I am a member of the Temple Club. If you would like an invitation, feel free to request one!

Fallen London is a game of choices. When you make an important one, you can record your rationale here.
0 link
Hex
Hex
Posts: 72

3/20/2012
Little The wrote:
Now that I have the full Screaming Map, and therefore have something to do other than grinding the Velocipede Squard quest endlessly, I must reduce my capacity to 1. I apologize for the sharp decline, but the action points do add up.

By the way, I managed to get an extra 30 First City Coins recently. Any Marvellers need them?

Edit: Oh, and another request -- no menace-related social actions, please. They're inefficient. Get a Winsome Depressed Orphan for Nightmares, get some Making Waves points for Scandal, and ignore Wounds and Suspicion. You'll be fine.
edited by Little The on 3/17/2012


I'd like the coins please! I need them for the hearts desire Ambition and have been having a hard time finding them my twitter is @juwairiah0

Also i'd be happy to be put down for all four i think, i'll have to pass on menace type activities though as my nightmares are reaching rather uncomfortable levels.
and im a newbie so not entirely certain how it all works but im sure i'll figure it out
edited by Hex on 3/20/2012

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Georgie_0
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger
Posts: 936

3/20/2012
Hex wrote:
Little The wrote:
Now that I have the full Screaming Map, and therefore have something to do other than grinding the Velocipede Squard quest endlessly, I must reduce my capacity to 1. I apologize for the sharp decline, but the action points do add up.

By the way, I managed to get an extra 30 First City Coins recently. Any Marvellers need them?

Edit: Oh, and another request -- no menace-related social actions, please. They're inefficient. Get a Winsome Depressed Orphan for Nightmares, get some Making Waves points for Scandal, and ignore Wounds and Suspicion. You'll be fine.
edited by Little The on 3/17/2012


I'd like the coins please! I need them for the hearts desire Ambition and have been having a hard time finding them my twitter is @juwairiah0

Also i'd be happy to be put down for all four i think, i'll have to pass on menace type activities though as my nightmares are reaching rather uncomfortable levels.
and im a newbie so not entirely certain how it all works but im sure i'll figure it out
edited by Hex on 3/20/2012


It's not too difficult. There are four storylet options that I mention in my initial post: Finding a way to deal with your nightmares can still be done anywhere as I recall, though dealing with the constables was recently moved to only occur at your lodgings. Dealing with scandal is under "matters of society and scandal", and dealing with wounds is under "something potentially dangerous". Probably the easiest way to understand how they work is to simply give it a shot! You say you're having trouble dealing with nightmares, so get your hands on a sudden insight if you don't have one already (via playing chess with someone), and fire off a nightmare reduction to one of our volunteers, such as myself, or even to several different volunteers if they're getting up high. Here's a little chart to see how many actions you can send out to get as close to 0 without going over, as menace reductions from social actions remove 5 at a time.

1 (1 CP): none
2 (3 CP): none
3 (6 CP): one
4 (10 CP): two
5 (15 CP): three
6 (21 CP): four
7 (28 CP): five
8 (36 CP): Can't send menace reductions from the royal bethlehem!

As you can see, a good rule of thumb is to take your menace level, and subtract two.

Also, on the subject of menace reductions being inefficient, I do not believe that to be the case. While it is theoretically possible to escape from Newgate in 2 turns, the cards to escape are excessively rare. Especially with the action cap per day being removed, it is woefully inefficient to sit around in prison flipping cards. As for scandal, "making waves" CAN remove it entirely, but this costs a LOT of that quality. While that is the only use for that quality, and I'd encourage folks to take advantage of it if they have enough and their scandal gets too bad, getting the quality itself can be a pain: The only sources I know of are a yearly event (the feast of roses), and winning when doing social actions. Unfortunately, the problem here is two-fold: Lower level folks are less likely to win against most folks (and could probably use the added second-chance anyway), and higher level folk tend to not care too much for social actions. Not to mention it seems to increase 1 CP at a time, and did I mention it plummets when you use it? I care enough about social actions that I made this thread in the first place, and even I don't have enough making waves to splurge it. Lastly on the case of nightmares, doesn't the less than laudable laudanum habit decrease the effectiveness of laudanum? The only menace I would say it's inefficient for is wounds, and that's only because past a certain, early point of watchfulness, playing chess on the boat is as effective, if not more. Provided you have the gear to consistently place you down RIGHT before going up a tier. But for folks who don't, I still offer it as an option.

Finally, a side note on reducing menaces: Keep an eye out for opportunity cards that help with them, such as "A Moment's Peace", "Official Incompetence", "A Hearty Meal. They seem to also reduce menaces by 5 CP, for only a single action and no side-effects. The only exception I've found is the "A Moral Afternoon", which has a subtle option and a regular option. I still need to see if there's any difference between the two outside of earning a confident smile for the subtle option. Also, it decreases suspicion by 1, but only by 1 CP, I need to see if it's the same for scandal, or if it's the usual 5 CP.

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
+1 link
Felicity Chase
Felicity Chase
Posts: 62

3/21/2012
Urthdigger wrote:
As for scandal, "making waves" CAN remove it entirely, but this costs a LOT of that quality. While that is the only use for that quality, and I'd encourage folks to take advantage of it if they have enough and their scandal gets too bad, getting the quality itself can be a pain: The only sources I know of are a yearly event (the feast of roses), and winning when doing social actions.



You can also get Making Waves from options on a couple of opportunity cards. Reading about natural philosophy, or choosing a card with a rose, as I recall.

--
@FelicityChase
Currently accepting: Almost all social actions. But please don't send me invitations to private dinners. And Nightmares may take a very long time to accept, unless you're willing to take some of mine in return.
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger
Posts: 936

3/21/2012
I still wouldn't consider Making Waves something you can easily grind by far, even with those. Unless they give a fair amount of the quality.

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
sohum
sohum
Posts: 5

3/21/2012
Oh, excellent. I'll accept invitations for any of the second chance stuff... let's say limit four per person, chess and sparring preferred.

Yep, gonna need a _lot_ of insights and lessons... :P

@SohumB on twitter
edited by sohum on 3/21/2012
edited by sohum on 3/21/2012
0 link
Little The
Little The
Posts: 700

3/21/2012
Apologies for my tardiness, Hex, but I couldn't send you the coins from Polythreme... However, now that I am back in the Sea of Voices, a problem occurs. Even though I am following you on Twitter, your name does not appear in the options list. Is your Facebook name being displayed instead, perhaps?

Also, Urthdigger, those two cards do give a good dollop of the quality. The rose card also increases Persuasive. I believe those cards are where I got most of my Making Waves quality (it's at twenty-something currently).

--
A gentleman of numerous descriptors that change far too often. Second chance and menace reduction invites are welcome.

My journey to Seek the Name is recorded for posterity here. I asked "Who is Salt?"

I am a member of the Temple Club. If you would like an invitation, feel free to request one!

Fallen London is a game of choices. When you make an important one, you can record your rationale here.
0 link
Lurkazoid
Lurkazoid
Posts: 40

3/22/2012
I'm in need of lots of scandal so I can hunting monsters in the tomb colonies. Limited time offer, send as much as you want... @Lurkazoid

--
I lurk here
0 link
Tricket
Tricket
Posts: 7

3/22/2012
I am always available for sparring and theft. Especially sparring, at the moment, as I am currently navigating the Labyrinth of Tigers.

I'm absolutely drowning in Sudden Insights and Confident Smiles, so please refrain from sending me requests for dinner or chess.

@Tricket3

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Tricket
@Tricket3 on Twitter
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger
Posts: 936

3/22/2012
Updated, and I'd like to make a note here: I'd like for more people to use the more specific options if they so wish. I know plenty of people ask to be put up on all four, but mention a preference... we've got a lot of people signed up for all four, so don't feel like you have to do so. If you need a specific second-chance, don't hesitate to ask for it. I can edit the front page at any time, so you could even adjust for whatever you currently need by sending me a tweet or posting a message here smile

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
Tricket
Tricket
Posts: 7

3/22/2012
Oh! I should probably mention that my facebook name is Natalie Kozak, if anyone has trouble finding me in their lists. I apologize for the omission!

--
http://echobazaar.failbettergames.com/Profile/Tricket
@Tricket3 on Twitter
0 link
Hex
Hex
Posts: 72

3/22/2012
Urthdigger wrote:

It's not too difficult. There are four storylet options that I mention in my initial post: Finding a way to deal with your nightmares can still be done anywhere as I recall, though dealing with the constables was recently moved to only occur at your lodgings. Dealing with scandal is under "matters of society and scandal", and dealing with wounds is under "something potentially dangerous". Probably the easiest way to understand how they work is to simply give it a shot! You say you're having trouble dealing with nightmares, so get your hands on a sudden insight if you don't have one already (via playing chess with someone), and fire off a nightmare reduction to one of our volunteers, such as myself, or even to several different volunteers if they're getting up high. Here's a little chart to see how many actions you can send out to get as close to 0 without going over, as menace reductions from social actions remove 5 at a time.

1 (1 CP): none
2 (3 CP): none
3 (6 CP): one
4 (10 CP): two
5 (15 CP): three
6 (21 CP): four
7 (28 CP): five
8 (36 CP): Can't send menace reductions from the royal bethlehem!

As you can see, a good rule of thumb is to take your menace level, and subtract two.

Also, on the subject of menace reductions being inefficient, I do not believe that to be the case. While it is theoretically possible to escape from Newgate in 2 turns, the cards to escape are excessively rare. Especially with the action cap per day being removed, it is woefully inefficient to sit around in prison flipping cards. As for scandal, "making waves" CAN remove it entirely, but this costs a LOT of that quality. While that is the only use for that quality, and I'd encourage folks to take advantage of it if they have enough and their scandal gets too bad, getting the quality itself can be a pain: The only sources I know of are a yearly event (the feast of roses), and winning when doing social actions. Unfortunately, the problem here is two-fold: Lower level folks are less likely to win against most folks (and could probably use the added second-chance anyway), and higher level folk tend to not care too much for social actions. Not to mention it seems to increase 1 CP at a time, and did I mention it plummets when you use it? I care enough about social actions that I made this thread in the first place, and even I don't have enough making waves to splurge it. Lastly on the case of nightmares, doesn't the less than laudable laudanum habit decrease the effectiveness of laudanum? The only menace I would say it's inefficient for is wounds, and that's only because past a certain, early point of watchfulness, playing chess on the boat is as effective, if not more. Provided you have the gear to consistently place you down RIGHT before going up a tier. But for folks who don't, I still offer it as an option.

Finally, a side note on reducing menaces: Keep an eye out for opportunity cards that help with them, such as "A Moment's Peace", "Official Incompetence", "A Hearty Meal. They seem to also reduce menaces by 5 CP, for only a single action and no side-effects. The only exception I've found is the "A Moral Afternoon", which has a subtle option and a regular option. I still need to see if there's any difference between the two outside of earning a confident smile for the subtle option. Also, it decreases suspicion by 1, but only by 1 CP, I need to see if it's the same for scandal, or if it's the usual 5 CP.


Thank you for the information, it was very helpful indeed

Its nice to finally know what the making waves quality actually does but im afraid i havent a clue about this "less than laudable laudanum habit" business

Little The wrote:
Apologies for my tardiness, Hex, but I couldn't send you the coins from Polythreme... However, now that I am back in the Sea of Voices, a problem occurs. Even though I am following you on Twitter, your name does not appear in the options list. Is your Facebook name being displayed instead, perhaps?

Also, Urthdigger, those two cards do give a good dollop of the quality. The rose card also increases Persuasive. I believe those cards are where I got most of my Making Waves quality (it's at twenty-something currently).


Hmm strange, i dont use facebook (shockingly!!?) so its not that, my twitter name and Echo bazaar names are different though (i do seem to collect names) so that might be it, Im Georgie on EB so i may be on your list but not as you know me.
edited by Hex on 3/22/2012

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Georgie_0
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane
Posts: 462

3/23/2012
Revising my earlier signup, I have just hit the point of seeking the Name where I lose all my second chance items (except surprise attack plans for some reason), so now I'd be happy to do all four!

--
Storynexus sn Katarina Navane.

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
0 link
sohum
sohum
Posts: 5

3/23/2012
Incidentally, I just found out that An Intimate Meeting in the House of Mr Chimes is strictly better than A Private Dinner. You get the three Confident Smiles, plus some little extra trifles. I hope it's okay and non-confusing if I use that social action instead of Private Dinner!

Oh, and are there any other strictly better actions for the other stats?
edited by sohum on 3/23/2012
0 link
Mat Wilding
Mat Wilding
Posts: 2

3/31/2012
Hi I am happy for all four and 2 outstanding requests.
Just a twitter add please.
@MatWith1Tea
Mat Wilding
0 link
Something Evil
Something Evil
Posts: 2

3/31/2012
On second thought, list me for second chances as well, please. All of them with a limit of 2 requests.

@somethingEvil90
0 link
Zarza
Zarza
Posts: 1

4/1/2012
Hello everybody! I am new to the game. There are something I dont understand at this thread, so exuse me if I posting wrong one. I need somebody to hear my nightmares.I just created twiter account especially for this purpose. This one: @izulle. Can anyone help me?
0 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger
Posts: 936

4/2/2012
If you're looking to lower your nightmares, then it's up to you to take charge on the matter. Simply follow any of the folks offering Menace Reduction, head to your lodgings, and choose the option to do something about your nightmares. This will cost you a sudden insight, however, so if you don't have any you'll need to play chess with a couple folks to get some (Again, simply look for the folks offering to play chess, or those offering all four second chances)

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link




Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software