Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Marsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance Messages in this topic - RSS

BaronElectric
BaronElectric

12/6/2012
Asclepius Unbound wrote:
Could you explain why offering in-character rewards for a character accepting an invitation in-game is worrying? Offering Fate is chancy, since it's basically money, but there is a Fate-gifting option for a reason.

Well, 2 things really:

a) Previously things like First City Coins/Starveling cats were generally freely shared in a spirit of "we're all in this together". If people start moving more into a "you scratch my back I scratch yours" I feel that undermines community (which fits in perfectly well with the subject matter, I suppose)

b) Slippery slope. Starveling cats is one thing, but what if someone says "Oh I'll PayPal you $5 if you accept my betrayal". Or "In my StoryNexus game I'll make your character really powerful". Things like that.

Again, I'm not calling for this system to be removed/prevented. I'm just saying it should be watched carefully.

--
Twitter: @flbaronelectric
0 link
Tesuji
Tesuji

12/6/2012
One issue is that Seeking the Name is really the only system in the game I can think of that currently requires social contact.

Other systems (menace reduction, newspapers) are enhanced by having friends, but the only way that I'm aware of to get a starveling cat is by either being given one or passing boxes back and forth.

... and back and forth and back and forth. I don't know how representative my results were, but I and my circle of friends averaged about 1 starveling cat per 20 boxes. Since each box requires 4 actions split between two people, we're talking about 80 actions per starveling cat, 40 of them being spent by someone who is receiving no real benefit. This rewards cooperative play, where you're all in it together, sharing the rewards of your labors.

This step of the process, however, goes in a different direction, toward competitive play.

While your best bet for cat-wrangling is to have a group of friends who are all helping each other move forward through the storyline, your best bet for this step is to be the first one in your group of friends to grab any uninitiated friends and leave everyone else behind in the dust.

I think this a great idea in an in-character in-game sense, but I'm rather dubious about its metagame effects.

Still, I'm taking a 'wait and see' attitude, because it's possible we're not seeing the full picture. The opening stage of this step had a time delay involved (in fact, I never saw the first opportunity card involved, being on vacation in Hunter's Keep when the early missives arrived). Perhaps there will be further developments in time (e.g., players who forsook the search can be re-invited after a period of time, or some other means of betrayal will show up X amount of time after your last betrayal).

Otherwise, the math clearly doesn't work, and I have to assume the designers are aware of that. Perversely, you're basically inviting a bunch of people to play a storyline that they have no realistic chance of honestly completing, because the pool of available invitees will be too small when they get this far.

--
Tesuji.
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane

12/6/2012
Well, keep in mind, we have no evidence of yet that these betrayals are even necessary to further out quest for the Name. They up the 'marsh-mired' quality, but do we even know yet if this will actually move us to the next step of seeking the Name?

--
Storynexus sn Katarina Navane.

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9

12/6/2012
Well you get St. Arthur's candle out of it, which is mentioned once you get the SMEN quality to 8 as a thing you need to light the way to the name. Plus there's ANOTHER candle after that. The whole seven affair's about the number of candles, after all. And it only shows up if you're scarred, stained and chained. And Mr. Eaten actually made some tweets on the twitters once the content was launched.

But no, it's just a side-story tangentially related to the Name.
edited by Spacemarine9 on 12/6/2012

--
my rats will blot out the sun
Ratgames
FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
#FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
#SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
0 link
Alexis Kennedy
Alexis Kennedy

12/6/2012
'Otherwise, the math clearly doesn't work, and I have to assume the designers are aware of that'

To resolve your conundrum, this is a feature, not a bug. Some players will bull through with alternate accounts, of course, but the intention is that the majority will become unable or unwilling to complete the storyline. The official Failbetter remains this; we recommend you stay the hell away, because you'll likely wish you had.
0 link
Emain Ablach
Emain Ablach

12/6/2012
Aaaah, the more he says it, the more I am interested in this storyline... I'm beginning to seriously think something is wrong with us.

--
Went NORTH. Got salted. Never came back. We won't remember him.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Emain%20Ablach
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9

12/6/2012
'course there is!
Personally though I just want to murder the honey-sipping jewel thief and toss his corpse into the unterzee and this is the most likely avenue of getting that done

probably

--
Ratgames
0 link
atheistcanuck
atheistcanuck

12/6/2012
I'm seriously planning on starting a side account eventually just for the purposes of seeking the name since I don't want to mess up my main account. But then I think about how much dedication it requires and wonder if I can maintain two accounts with that level of commitment.
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9

12/6/2012
You don't really mess up your main account _that_ much. A few stat drops here, menace points there, maybe you lose a few hundred items. Possibly things will take a turn sharply for the worse later on, but hey! Better than grinding out a bajillion points of melancholy so you can boast to be the Most Depressed in the Neath

--
Ratgames
0 link
David
David

12/7/2012
Spacemarine9 wrote:
You don't really mess up your main account _that_ much. A few stat drops here, menace points there, maybe you lose a few hundred items. Possibly things will take a turn sharply for the worse later on, but hey! Better than grinding out a bajillion points of melancholy so you can boast to be the Most Depressed in the Neath

Also: Devils run screaming when you try to sell them what's left of your soul, and two cards you can't discard. And that's just so far...
+1 link
Nigel Overstreet
Nigel Overstreet

12/7/2012
I also find it interesting that, so far, my decision to seek the name has been one made almost entirely in-character. Yes, I am that type of player.
I only learned that SMEN was a thing though a role playing scene. Nigel became so enthralled that he actually became the number before the woman who told me about it did. The Name brings nothing but pain and madness, but it brings an experience like no other. The Neath's greatest Hedonist can't turn down experience because it's unpleasant! In addition, going mad seems like an awfully big adventure.
What is a ruined reputation, fortune, soul, mind and body to the most singular experience the Neath has to offer? If I were to abandon seeking the name in favor of pursuing, say, higher connections or endlessly grinding for Tales of Terror, what would be the point of inhabiting a role in the Neath at all? It bring a new level of player/character connection in a way that only the most method of acting techniques can compare. In order to play a character of my own devising properly, the game is asking me, as a player, to make a sacrifice which Echoes(I see what you did there) my character's. While plenty of games ask this sacrifice be money, which is banal, avaricious and boring, Fallen London asks that it be time, dedication and, at times, will. So far it is absolutely fascinating!

In addition, the young woman who introduced me to the Name, Eris Fnord(@ErisFnord) should get a free level of Marsh Mired as she technically recruited me to the Name before it was an option.

--
The Romantic Egotist: Most Hedonistic Man in All of Fallen London
Are you or someone you know Overgoated? Please, let me know!

Cider Club
+2 link
Passionario
Passionario

12/7/2012
Nigel Overstreet wrote:
I also find it interesting that, so far, my decision to seek the name has been one made almost entirely in-character. Yes, I am that type of player.

You're not the only one.

I originally took up name-seeking as a penance for what I've done in the Chambers of the Heart, where I Indulged in Unknown Pleasures not once, but thrice.
Such monstrous behavior, I thought, could only be answered with a suitably monstrous punishment.
(It didn't work, of course. It never does)

After a while, the hunger for secrets took hold. I wanted to see where that path led and what strange horrors awaited me on it.

None of those reasons are relevant anymore. My original sin pales in comparison to the atrocities I've done since then.
And whatever curiosity and lust for exotic visions I once had was burned out of me in Polythreme and Iron Republic.
Frankly, I no longer care about the name or the number at this point.

Ah, but the reckoning? Now that is a topic that I care about deeply.

Revenge, after all, is the core of my Neathian ambition. It drives me on after everything else has ceased to be meaningful.
And it will not be postponed indefinitely.

--
Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
Passion: Profile, Appearance
0 link
salirsalisco
salirsalisco

12/7/2012
Am I the only one who kept Seeking just because the storylets kept advising me against it? :-)

Speaking of this, I would be a bit disappointed, if in the end I had to give up on the quest just because not enough people accept my invitation... especially after all that I've gone through to reach SMEN 8!

--
My profile.
+2 link
Urthdigger
Urthdigger

12/7/2012
Seeking the name was quite in-character for me as well. I've become quite the idle hedonist in London, doing things often because it's new to me. While I play a "good" character, the name is all about self-sacrifice. Though, I do wonder how far I'm going to go. Especially as I've noticed myself waking up at odd hours offline terribly hungry.

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9

12/7/2012
Who do i have to kill to get a St Arthur card? i'll do it. free of charge. assassination guaranteed*

*note: may not be guaranteed

--
Ratgames
0 link
Allanon Kisigar
Allanon Kisigar

12/8/2012
Spacemarine9 wrote:
Who do i have to kill to get a St Arthur card? i'll do it. free of charge. assassination guaranteed*

*note: may not be guaranteed

They do show up again given time, I got a new one finally just last night. Just a matter of patience

--
  • A Gentleman of distinct and peculiar interests.

Invites for social actions are most welcome, except for Boxed Cats, SMEN, and Affluent Photographer
  • 0 link
    Emain Ablach
    Emain Ablach

12/8/2012
    Joining the seeking was, for me, an in-character choice (he's curious to the point of madness ; after all, what is a peaceful life in front of knowledge ?) and, at the same time, a choice which echoed for me, the player. I play some role playing games (both on the net and around a table with some friends, a pencil, some dieces and a sheet of paper), and most of the time, my characters end up being related to hunger or gluttony. Probably because I'm a very very very big eater who is always hungry. ^^

--
    Went NORTH. Got salted. Never came back. We won't remember him.

https://www.fallenlondon.com/profile/Emain%20Ablach
    0 link
    Spacemarine9
    Spacemarine9

12/8/2012
    I'm not even sure why I started seeking. I regret nothing!

Also i just realised that the whole SMEN thing is a hell of a lot like Hell Temple in La Mulana

--
    Ratgames
    0 link
    Spacemarine9
    Spacemarine9

12/9/2012
    Look, card RNG, it's been nearly a week now. I'm sorry for whatever hurt I caused you, so can you please let me get on with doing horrendous irreversible harm to myself and others?
    Your pal,
    Candlefan77

--
    Ratgames
    0 link
    Allanon Kisigar
    Allanon Kisigar

12/9/2012
    Spacemarine9 wrote:
    Look, card RNG, it's been nearly a week now. I'm sorry for whatever hurt I caused you, so can you please let me get on with doing horrendous irreversible harm to myself and others?
    Your pal,
    Candlefan77

I can understand the enthusiasm, but do watch out for the actual gaining of the first candle. It's... damaging, though not so much as things that have gone before.

--
  • A Gentleman of distinct and peculiar interests.

Invites for social actions are most welcome, except for Boxed Cats, SMEN, and Affluent Photographer
  • 0 link