Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Marsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance Messages in this topic - RSS

Urthdigger
Urthdigger
Posts: 940

1/31/2013
Take another look. It's more than just those that you'll need.

--
Looking for second chances to maximize your loot output from those troublesome storylets? Check out our handy gang of volunteers in this thread, or even volunteer yourself!

@Urthdigger on twitter
0 link
KatarinaNavane
KatarinaNavane
Posts: 462

2/1/2013
Urthdigger wrote:
Take another look. It's more than just those that you'll need.


Those, nightmares, and huge amount of pearls, no? My first failed trip used only about half my pearl stockpile, I shouldn't need too many more.

--
Storynexus sn Katarina Navane.

My art page (much of which is dark, Victorian, and/or full of tentacles): http://www.facebook.com/demonkittydesigns
0 link
Erik Vimes
Erik Vimes
Posts: 182

2/24/2013
ignotus wrote:
zabruns wrote:
So, I've had a small problem getting started with this part of the story. I got the initial invite and Marsh-Mired 1, succeeded in the Dangerous challenge, and lost the Marsh-Mired quality. From what I understand, this is normal (well, as normal as this whole business can be, anyways). This was almost two months ago. I did get this invite before I had gotten all of my scars, stains, and chains, so did that mess things up? Or is the RNG just being its usual obstructive self?



Unfortunately, I think that's par for the course - the second message from Mr. Eaten only went out to people who were already at SMEN 8 when the update happened. My experience was similar to yours, and I asked about it a few pages ago in the thread. Alexis dropped in and strongly implied that this was intentional. Presumably at some point Failbetter will allow other people to progress in the storyline, but who knows.
edited by ignotus on 1/10/2013




Well hold up now. I too got the invite and marsh-mired 1, succeeded in the dangerous challenge, and lost the quality. But I was at SMEN 8 when the update happened and I never got the second invite and therefore have not progressed at all with Mr Eaten. I understand the journey is supposed to be painful and torturous, but if by random chance or a bug I've been fully prevented from the story I'm incredibly irritated with Faibetter and especially Mr Kennedy. Making the path slippery and sacrificial is perfectly fine, but straight-up not letting people even have the chance to proceed is just plain black-hearted. Even by a Seeker's definition
edited by Erik Vimes on 2/24/2013

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Eric~Vimes
0 link
Alexis Kennedy
Alexis Kennedy
Posts: 1374

2/24/2013
Erik Vimes wrote:
incredibly irritated with Faibetter and especially Mr Kennedy. Making the path slippery and sacrificial is perfectly fine, but straight-up not letting people even have the chance to proceed is just plain black-hearted. Even by a Seeker's definition


It's not, by design, slippery and sacrificial, it's deliberately unfair. The warnings are there for a reason. Let me go on record (not for the first time): if you take this path, you are more likely to fail than to succeed, through no fault of your own.You may get an invitation later, but if so then accepting it will probably lead to later, worse failure. If you're irritated with me or with the game right now, you will only get more irritated later on, and I recommend you get out now.
+1 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9
Posts: 2234

2/24/2013
what do you rate my chances of getting irritated are if i still quite enjoyed the latest batch of content despite how frustrating it was

--
my rats will blot out the sun
Ratgames
FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
#FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
#SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
0 link
Andrey Shmarev
Andrey Shmarev
Posts: 35

3/7/2013
I'm torn between being irritated at Mr Kennedy or my own lack of foresight but I made the very same mistake twice. When selecting a "sacrifice" I checked my "friends" list to see who I was backstabbing and when I went back the selection screen was gone and I assume that I have failed by default.
My question goes : for better or for worse , did I have to get a "traditional" failure screen or am I fine for a future invitation?
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9
Posts: 2234

3/7/2013
I don't think it's possible to fail at a betrayal? But social actions seem to have been updated recently and are sorta buggy or something

--
my rats will blot out the sun
Ratgames
FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
#FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
#SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
0 link
Dolan
Dolan
Posts: 296

3/7/2013
Andrey Shmarev wrote:
I'm torn between being irritated at Mr Kennedy or my own lack of foresight but I made the very same mistake twice. When selecting a "sacrifice" I checked my "friends" list to see who I was backstabbing and when I went back the selection screen was gone and I assume that I have failed by default.
My question goes : for better or for worse , did I have to get a "traditional" failure screen or am I fine for a future invitation?

Basically the same thing happened to me, except I went to check my "messages" tab and when I went back to the "Story" tab, the option to send the betrayal had disappeared. I assume I'll just draw another card later, as I still have the Marsh Mired 2 quality, but it still seems a little buggy in that regard.
0 link
Zmflavius
Zmflavius
Posts: 53

3/7/2013
I've been wondering about what Alexis said; that those who seek this path are more likely to fail than succeed. Is that really the case? What does it mean if we fail? Everyone who seeks the name enters with the knowledge that they will endure punishing costs, for what we are assured will not be to are joy. However, take the end of the Carnival section. This sort of affirmation, that our character is doing some great (if irredeemably stupid) thing, despite having destroyed all our homes and friends, is precisely what we want for our character. Even if it's not meant to sound that way, the way the story is written comes off precisely as that.

In this case, failure, such as, "Your character goes mad, and you gain a special trait bemoaning your stupidity, why why why why why" is a victory, because in a way, by having sought the name to the very end, and have gotten something out of it, either through the aforementioned trait, or because, to steal a far over-used cliche, we have the journey to remember, is in fact a victory. Those few who do "succeed" might get merely only a trait saying as much, the same journey, or, if this saga is especially anti-climatic, the knowledge that they've self-flagellated themselves into learning that they were seeking "asdfljals," which I imagine might remain a secret for all of fifteen seconds (obviously, I don't expect this to happen).

What would be a defeat would be something like the 50 fate option; which is to say, "Your character is destroyed. Why???" This would be a complete rejection of all our efforts, and possibly the one thing that would come off as a failure for the Search.

Then, can it be that "failure" in the Search is not actually a unique and far more common message distinct from the "success" message, but some taunt like that, which, if it is not character deletion, is merely deletion of all signs of the search from your account, and 10000 change points in all menaces, with no reference to the Search?

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Zmflavius
+3 link
Lady Red
Lady Red
Posts: 517

3/7/2013
I think Alexis just meant that most of us seekers wouldn't be able to get to the end of the search; the steps would be too difficult, so we'd give up.

But I think I agree with the gist of your argument; a terrible end to our characters isn't a failure, or a bad thing, because that's as legitimate an ending to the story as anything else.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
+1 link
ignotus
ignotus
Posts: 20

3/7/2013
To my fellow seekers, those of us who were left behind at first, and could not seek the candles.

Mr. Eaten has not forgotten us. It is time.
+2 link
Demidronik
Demidronik
Posts: 5

3/8/2013
I am a touch confused about how to progress the story to seek Mr. Eaten's name. I have the "In dark waters" storylet, but I know from last time it that all the options will cause me to loose my marsh mired quality. Do I stop playing and wait to receive another message?
0 link
Delmar Tramontane
Delmar Tramontane
Posts: 50

3/8/2013
Try playing it and see what happens for yourself. Waiting for something that may never come certainly won't help.
edited by Delmar Tramontane on 3/8/2013

--
Fallen London Profile.
Twitter
Facebook
0 link
Ewan C.
Ewan C.
Posts: 675

3/8/2013
On a much more dilettante level: I accepted (knowingly) a betrayal, so have SMEN at 2, but have never seen a single card or storylet that would allow me to do anything with this. Normal?
0 link
Delmar Tramontane
Delmar Tramontane
Posts: 50

3/8/2013
Try hunting for curios in the Forgotten Quarter.

--
Fallen London Profile.
Twitter
Facebook
0 link
Jack Vaux-Harrowden
Jack Vaux-Harrowden
Posts: 251

3/8/2013
Demidronik wrote:
I am a touch confused about how to progress the story to seek Mr. Eaten's name. I have the "In dark waters" storylet, but I know from last time it that all the options will cause me to loose my marsh mired quality. Do I stop playing and wait to receive another message?


I too was abandoned last time and just got it again today. Play it (don't do this) to raise your Marsh-Mired to 2 (which is not a good thing). Or to discover that not everyone who got a second round of In Dark Waters is permitted to progress yet, which would probably be immensely frustrating.

He has forgotten us no more than we have forgotten Him.
0 link
Spacemarine9
Spacemarine9
Posts: 2234

4/22/2013
Might want to keep your eye on a certain green candle and certain exclusive opportunity cards in the coming days...

--
my rats will blot out the sun
Ratgames
FL lore/mechanics questions and answers
#FallenLondon IRC (irc.synirc.net) Channel! Click to join via Mibbit.
#SunlessSea IRC channel! Like the above, but zee-ier.
0 link
Guy Scrum
Guy Scrum
Posts: 197

4/23/2013
Looks like the next candle is available. Time to get a stabbin'...

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Guy%20Scrum
Interactive fidgeting writer simulation
0 link
Sara Hysaro
Sara Hysaro
Moderator
Posts: 4514

4/23/2013
It's not actually available. You're capped at 50 tokens at the moment.

--
http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
0 link
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
Kade Carrion (an_ocelot)
Posts: 1374

4/23/2013
Guy Scrum wrote:
Looks like the next candle is available. Time to get a stabbin'...

I must be missing something. Where?!

--
Social Actions: send them to Kade Carrion (she/her; no Tournament of Lilies, please). an_ocelot has gone NORTH and cannot benefit from social actions!

Possibly-Useful Things: Spreadsheets and hints and link collections, oh my.
0 link




Powered by Jitbit Forum 8.0.2.0 © 2006-2013 Jitbit Software