Powered by Jitbit .Net Forum free trial version.

HomeFallen London » The Salons

Here you can speculate on the game’s plot, discuss its characters, and compare notes with other players.

Marsh-Mired in Dreams of Sustenance Messages in this topic - RSS

MidnightVoyager
MidnightVoyager

12/16/2012
Asclepius Unbound wrote:
Aximillio wrote:
but I know you can fix scars in a rubbery way.

Do you think you could pm me how?
Also, I'm most decidedly interested in healing memories as well. As for my stain, it keeps the devils away...

It's not a Fate-locked spoiler. One of the opportunity cards that crops up when you have wounds lets you use Rubbery Man slime as a cure. It has various Counting the Days options, and that's one of them.
edited by Asclepius Unbound on 12/16/2012

I was actually not familiar with that one! There's another way.

(Though I think that is just for normal wounds, IIRC? If it's the one I just remembered?)
edited by MidnightVoyager on 12/16/2012
edited by MidnightVoyager on 12/16/2012

--
Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
0 link
Asclepius Unbound
Asclepius Unbound

12/16/2012
MidnightVoyager wrote:
I was actually not familiar with that one! There's another way.

(Though I think that is just for normal wounds, IIRC? If it's the one I just remembered?)

Just normal wounds, yep. I know the Fate-locked one as well, but I thought you meant the regular one.

--
Alas, Asclepius Unbound is now forever beyond the reach of invitations. A successful Seeker.
0 link
Allanon Kisigar
Allanon Kisigar

12/17/2012
Hopefully I'm not being spoilerific enough to have this post devoured, but there actually is a way to escape in the St. Beau's section of content, and likely the most generous way to do so there will ever be again.

--
  • A Gentleman of distinct and peculiar interests.

Invites for social actions are most welcome, except for Boxed Cats, SMEN, and Affluent Photographer
  • 0 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

12/17/2012
    Allanon Kisigar wrote:
    Hopefully I'm not being spoilerific enough to have this post devoured, but there actually is a way to escape in the St. Beau's section of content, and likely the most generous way to do so there will ever be again.

It's not exactly comforting. I'm stuck on my second or third betrayal, and I only managed those three because I had the materials ahead of time. I also don't have enough people to invite to work on it, but that's not a problem when I can't manage the enigmas after farming since the new content came out. Haven't gotten a single one.

I'm basically ready to chew my own arm enough to get free of the constant carousel of luck-based challenges. For something that keeps telling me what I'm doing is a bad idea, it sure doesn't wanna let me go!

--
    Midnight Voyager - A blood-cousin to predators. Collector of beasts. Affably mad.
    0 link
    Allanon Kisigar
    Allanon Kisigar

12/17/2012
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    Allanon Kisigar wrote:

It's not exactly comforting. I'm stuck on my second or third betrayal, and I only managed those three because I had the materials ahead of time. I also don't have enough people to invite to work on it, but that's not a problem when I can't manage the enigmas after farming since the new content came out. Haven't gotten a single one.

I'm basically ready to chew my own arm enough to get free of the constant carousel of luck-based challenges. For something that keeps telling me what I'm doing is a bad idea, it sure doesn't wanna let me go!

I'm afraid there's not much I can help you with there. Searing Enigmas are a pain, considering of the main sources one is the long train of luck based challanges and the other is a rare success far from London. If you can, I'd reccommend replaying the Affair of the Box, as the ending to that is three guarenteed Enigmas, though it costs ten Fate to replay.

As for finding people, your best shot is probably using the thread in the Singing Mandrake section of the forum and seeing if you can get anyone who is willing to take the burden.

--

Invites for social actions are most welcome, except for Boxed Cats, SMEN, and Affluent Photographer
  • 0 link
    MidnightVoyager
    MidnightVoyager

12/17/2012
    Allanon Kisigar wrote:
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    Allanon Kisigar wrote:

I'm afraid there's not much I can help you with there. Searing Enigmas are a pain, considering of the main sources one is the long train of luck based challanges and the other is a rare success far from London. If you can, I'd reccommend replaying the Affair of the Box, as the ending to that is three guarenteed Enigmas, though it costs ten Fate to replay.

As for finding people, your best shot is probably using the thread in the Singing Mandrake section of the forum and seeing if you can get anyone who is willing to take the burden.

I've already reached the level that Alexis previously mentioned of "unhappy and frustrated." I don't think struggling on until I eventually get to St. Beau's would really help on that front.

The official advice from Failbetter seems to be that Seeking is not for me and I should stop, right? Since that's the case, I don't think it's too unreasonable to request a way out that's within reach. I've already stopped drawing Opp cards altogether because of those "Can't Discard" Seeking-related cards.

--
    0 link
    Allanon Kisigar
    Allanon Kisigar

12/17/2012
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    Allanon Kisigar wrote:
    MidnightVoyager wrote:
    Allanon Kisigar wrote:

I've already reached the level that Alexis previously mentioned of "unhappy and frustrated." I don't think struggling on until I eventually get to St. Beau's would really help on that front.

The official advice from Failbetter seems to be that Seeking is not for me and I should stop, right? Since that's the case, I don't think it's too unreasonable to request a way out that's within reach. I've already stopped drawing Opp cards altogether because of those "Can't Discard" Seeking-related cards.

That, I honestly don't know what to tell you. So far as I know, there's no escape route until St. Beau's, and that's only because of anothers generousity. I suspect that if specifically requested, Failbetter is only really going to say "Well, we DID warn you when you imprinted yourself with The Number..."

--

• 0 link
    Alexis Kennedy
    Alexis Kennedy

12/17/2012
    We did warn you about four times, but it also was unfair to keep saying 'if you don't like it, get off' without providing the means. As of last week, there are three more ways out, and there'll be a fourth soon. Hint: start drawing op cards again.

EDIT: as of this week, actually! because the branches were still hidden until just now. My mistake.
    edited by Alexis on 12/17/2012
    +1 link
    Asclepius Unbound
    Asclepius Unbound

12/17/2012
    I now burn with the flame of St. Arthur's Candle.

--
    Alas, Asclepius Unbound is now forever beyond the reach of invitations. A successful Seeker.
    +1 link
    Asclepius Unbound
    Asclepius Unbound

12/17/2012
    Interesting behaviour over in the "The Name needs you: you need the Name" thread. At least one player has successfully convinced another to send them an invitation, just in order to refuse it. This is alternately problematic, dramatically delightful, and viciously cruel. It also blurs IC/OOC in a peculiar way.

What do my fellow Seekers think of this, on an out-of-character level? I've already commented.

--
    0 link
    Passionario
    Passionario

12/17/2012

edited by Passionario on 12/17/2012

--
    Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
    Passion: Profile, Appearance
    0 link
    Asclepius Unbound
    Asclepius Unbound

12/17/2012
    So you're saying it was an artistic/dramatic/narrative statement?

--
    0 link
    Lady Red
    Lady Red

12/17/2012
    Asclepius Unbound wrote:
    Interesting behaviour over in the "The Name needs you: you need the Name" thread. At least one player has successfully convinced another to send them an invitation, just in order to refuse it. This is alternately problematic, dramatically delightful, and viciously cruel. It also blurs IC/OOC in a peculiar way.

What do my fellow Seekers think of this, on an out-of-character level? I've already commented.

I think it's exceptionally mean-spirited, and I wouldn't do it. It's not one character being vicious to another, IMO, it's one player being vicious to another for no reason.

Passionario - your 'defence' doesn't make any sense. You have rejected an invite you asked for, rather than being unwittingly sucked into the search for the name. It is you who has gone against the community, not vice versa. (And I might add that the invite itself is clearly marked as being something it's not in a player's best interests to accept, so it's hardly being stabbed in the back. It's not like the invite says 'open to get sweet kitties!' and then a starveling cat leaps out and claws your face to shreds.)

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
    +1 link
    Sara Hysaro
    Sara Hysaro

12/17/2012
    The post was such an obvious trap that it was comical. I'm amazed that somebody took it as anything other than the joke that it was. Maybe I just don't take things seriously enough.

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Sara%20Hysaro
    Please do not send SMEN, cat boxes, or Affluent Reporter requests. All other social actions are welcome.

Are you a Scarlet Saint? Send a message my way to be added to the list.
    +2 link
    Passionario
    Passionario

12/17/2012
    Lady Red wrote:
    And I might add that the invite itself is clearly marked as being something it's not in a player's best interests to accept

So was my request! It openly said that sending an invite to that particular character would be a pretty stupid and harmful thing to do.
    They're not called "Untrustworthy Spirifier" for their shiny integrity and civic spirit, you know. smile
    Asclepius Unbound wrote:

Yes.

The prevailing consensus on this forum appears to be that Failbetter's statements about Seeking the Name are nothing but reverse psychology. That all those dire warnings about inevitable frustration and depression are simple flavor text aimed at making a video game grind more cool and edgy. That it's all a secret test of character and you'll get an awesome secret ending for your perseverance. And if that view is correct, then having Seekers actively cooperate and trust each other is only to be expected.

I am here to challenge this assumption. I believe that, when Alexis tell us that SMEN is meant to be unfair and cruel and utterly unlike the rest of Fallen London, we should take those words at face value. And this means that the surrounding metagame should have less goodwill and cooperation and more mistrust and paranoia.

Alexis Kennedy wrote:
    Consenting adults, caveat emptor.

edited by Passionario on 12/17/2012

--
    Passionario: Profile, Story, Ending
    Passion: Profile, Appearance
    +1 link
    Diptych
    Diptych
    Administrator

12/17/2012
    I always took it as read that there's almost definitely not going to be a cool prize at the end, and so that everyone's willingness to help and trust each other was simple and touching and not to be trifled with. A bit weird, but touching.

(I have to admit that I have declined a couple of Eaten invitations, before I was aware of the cost of sending them - but, in my defence, I have never sought, never been interested in seeking, and never been part of the Northbound community.)
    edited by Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook on 12/17/2012

--
    Sir Frederick, the Emancipationist Esotericist. Lord Hubris, the Bloody Baron.
    Juniper Brown, the Ill-Fated Orphan. Esther Ellis-Hall, the Fashionable Fabian.
    +1 link
    Lady Red
    Lady Red

12/17/2012
    Passionario wrote:
    Lady Red wrote:
    And I might add that the invite itself is clearly marked as being something it's not in a player's best interests to accept

So was my request! It openly said that sending an invite to that particular character would be a pretty stupid and harmful thing to do.
    They're not called "Untrustworthy Spirifier" for their shiny integrity and civic spirit, you know. smile

I suppose you have a point there. But I still think you're a bounder and a cad!

--
    http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Lady~Red
    +1 link
    BaronElectric
    BaronElectric

12/17/2012
    Ok, Alexis, I'm fully giving you permission to use this idea for free:

There's a social action you have to do to proceed. This can only be sent to fellow Name seekers. There are two options when sending (and you have to do both some number of times to continue the search):

1) The above board approach (which probably does something horrible)
    2) The sneaky approach, which causes them to no longer seek the Name.

boom, instant chaos.
    edited by BaronElectric on 12/17/2012

--
    Twitter: @flbaronelectric
    +2 link
    Asclepius Unbound
    Asclepius Unbound

12/17/2012
    BaronElectric wrote:
    There's a social action you have to do to proceed. This can only be sent to fellow Name seekers. There are two options when sending (and you have to do both some number of times to continue the search):

1) The above board approach (which probably does something horrible)
    2) The sneaky approach, which causes them to no longer seek the Name.

boom, instant chaos.

Y'see, I thought of this one and deliberately didn't suggest it. Bad BaronElectric! Bad!!

--
    0 link
    Asclepius Unbound
    Asclepius Unbound

12/17/2012
    Passionario wrote:
    Asclepius Unbound wrote:

Yes.

The prevailing consensus on this forum appears to be that Failbetter's statements about Seeking the Name are nothing but reverse psychology. That all those dire warnings about inevitable frustration and depression are simple flavor text aimed at making a video game grind more cool and edgy. That it's all a secret test of character and you'll get an awesome secret ending for your perseverance. And if that view is correct, then having Seekers actively cooperate and trust each other is only to be expected.

I am here to challenge this assumption. I believe that, when Alexis tell us that SMEN is meant to be unfair and cruel and utterly unlike the rest of Fallen London, we should take those words at face value. And this means that the surrounding metagame should have less goodwill and cooperation and more mistrust and paranoia.

Alexis Kennedy wrote:
    Consenting adults, caveat emptor.

If I only approved of artistic statements I agreed with personally, I'd be an awful hypocrite. Well done: you have made good story and good art. Even if I do feel sorry for poor Zyxx, your argument is very well put, and indisputably valid.

--
    0 link