Your character bears gifts

You’ve just logged off for the night when you heard a knock on the door. You open it only to find a familiar friend. You’ve done countless adventures together and it’s quite lovely to see them face to face. (He, she, um…) feels the same way and hands you the following and disappears to the night knowing that their time in the Surface is limited at best:

1. An item from the bazaar
  2. An item crafted/found through adventures
  3. Knowledge of a certain attribute
  4. A Menace for you to bear (will disappear within a month, shouldn’t exceed 7 when received)

(Provide some extra details on why you choose the items. The items should be in your character’s inventory not items that you wish they had and No Fate-Locked things.)

1. (lots) of Drop of Prisoner’s Honey - It would be really fun to visit other people’s dreams. It also seems that you can get things from dreams with your person (my character got some acid burns during a failed early storylet) so imagine how much stuff I can haul off to the real world.
  2. Favours in High Places - who knows when these will come handy in the future
  3. Persuasive - I think it’s easy to achieve the others with little or no outside help. This one on the other hand needs work with other people.
  4. Nightmares - I really won’t mind having these. They might become inspirations on some stuff that I write about.
    [li]
  1. Lenguals - While some may find it odd and downright sinister for a pair of gloves to talk, taste, and salivate, the secrets that can be gained from such an object along with the implications it carries make this quite worthwhile to me.[li]
    2.) Collated Research - Knowledge is a valuable commodity and knowledge smuggled from the Neath is so tempting indeed.
    3.) Persuasive - One never can have too much knowledge when it comes to persuading others of one’s point.
    4.) Nightmares - While nightmares would be dreadful, I feel that the other options are worse. At least there’s medicine to help you sleep even if you have nightmares as opposed to gashes, scorn, or suspicion.
  1. F.F. Gebrants Tincture of Vigor. Because wouldn’t it be lovely to have a cure-all that ACTUALLY cures ALL?
  2. Confident Smiles. And that assumes it actually works in real life as it does in the game, where I get a “do-over” on awkward social interactions.
  3. Watchful. It seems like being more observant & intuitive would make life more interesting.
  4. Scandal. This may seem odd considering why I want the confident smiles, and that I already have the tincture to reduce wounds…however I think it might be fun to be talked about that much (even if I was receiving negative attention). This doesn’t mean I admire internet trolls. I’m thinking of scandal achieved by speculation about who (and how many) have been in my bed, my association with devils & rubbery sorts, and my generally odd behavior.
  1. Some Proscribed Material. Because one can never have too much to read, and forbidden fruits taste the sweetest.
  2. a piece of Fecund Amber. It’s so shiny and glowy! How can you not love Amber?
    I think it just moved.
    Well, I’m sure it’s nothing to worry about.
  3. Watchful. If it helps understanding the Correspondence, maybe it helps understanding math as well. Matrices can be as bad for one’s sanity as the Last Alphabet.
  4. Scandal, by process of elimination. I value my sleep, I dislike discomfort, and I really don’t want to get in trouble with the authorities. Also, better be known for bad things than not at all.

1: Hesperidian Cider (pfft, as if Zeel could afford that). An Overgoat he would bring though (not technically in my inventory but will be very soon so that’s what I’m going to put here). The knowledge that could be wrought from that would be why I’d want it. Plus, I reckon it’d make a brilliant bodyguard.
2: Mystic Raven Advisor. The imagery it brings seems like an amazing thing to experience, and learning the future also amazing.
3: In case you haven’t realized the theme, Watchful. I value intelligence greatly and always want more.
4: I’d prefer scandal because it’d be the easiest to deal with by far (I’m not one to care what the public opinion of me is) but knowing Zeel he’d bring all sorts of nightmares (including himself.
[li]

1. Glad Rags. I’ve not done much purchasing from the bazaar so this is more or less what I’ve to roll with. Though I’d certainly appreciate a dress that makes folk more attentive to my desires.
    2: Cardsharp Monkey. So many of the trinkets and gewgaws F. December has found aren’t suited so much for enriching a life under the sun. But a shrewd companion with a head for games according to Hoyle would always be appreciated.
  2. Shadowy. My reasons are my own.
    4: Nightmares. Why not? I’m fairly insomniac anyway so it won’t be too much of a hindrance.

Hmmmmm! Which items would actually function on the surface? We learn from the Aunt storyline that some things - honey, glim - lose their more interesting properties taken out of the Neath. I suspect those products that rely on the vitality of the Mountain do the same. But, we also know from The Silver Tree that souls and the Correspondence work just fine on the Surface. And, presumably, ratwork crafts that don’t involve any of the more esoteric materials should be unaffected. So, let me see…

1: A Ratwork Watch… or a Bengal Tigress. Or, if the watch would stop and the tigress would escape into a mirror… hell, how about a huge bag of Surface Currency?

2: My Correspondence-powered Zubmarine is pretty tempting… as is the Voluminous Library, which would cost less in docking and maintenance.

3: Hrm… I could probably use more Persuasive, actually.

4: Scandal. I’ve had enough bad dreams and hospital visits, thank you, and I don’t need any police interest. People speculating baselessly about my private life, I can weather.

Oh, fun. Let’s see …[li]

1. One Smock of Four Thousand Three Hundred and Eight pockets. I love dresses with pockets. Why not have all the pockets?

2. A Mirrorcatch Box. Shh.

3. Scholar of the Correspondence. I have always wanted to be better at foreign languages, and what’s more foreign?

4. Nightmares. I’ve plenty of nightmares myself, but they’re too often of the social and academic variety. I could stand to have more elaborate chess-dreams.

We based this off of what our character would actually give us, unfortunately.

1. Primordial Shrieks–One step down from Maniac’s Prayers, which he collects for the secrets they sometimes hold.
  2. Maniac’s Prayers–though for a different reason. He is mad quite often, you see.
  3. Shadowy–this is his specialty.
  4. Nightmares. See the first two.

[quote=Sir Frederick Tanah-Chook]Hmmmmm! Which items would actually function on the surface? We learn from the Aunt storyline that some things - honey, glim - lose their more interesting properties taken out of the Neath. I suspect those products that rely on the vitality of the Mountain do the same. But, we also know from The Silver Tree that souls and the Correspondence work just fine on the Surface. And, presumably, ratwork crafts that don’t involve any of the more esoteric materials should be unaffected. So, let me see…

1: A Ratwork Watch… or a Bengal Tigress. Or, if the watch would stop and the tigress would escape into a mirror… hell, how about a huge bag of Surface Currency?

2: My Correspondence-powered Zubmarine is pretty tempting… as is the Voluminous Library, which would cost less in docking and maintenance.

3: Hrm… I could probably use more Persuasive, actually.

4: Scandal. I’ve had enough bad dreams and hospital visits, thank you, and I don’t need any police interest. People speculating baselessly about my private life, I can weather.[/quote]

[li]
Awww… I haven’t seen those yet. But let’s just assume that everything works fine in the Surface as much as the Neath (If they don’t then I strongly agree that a cartload of Surface Currency wouldn’t hurt a bit :D )