Would You Kill A Master?

I won’t say its possible, but what if it was? Lets say one had the means; poison, explosives (for you revolutionary types) , a well placed knife, old words… The method is irrelevant.

Lets assume all the world is in your favor. So the question remains: Would you kill a Master?

COULD you do it? The how and why be damned, but if you would like to share I won’t stop you.

And please feel free to share or keep any &quotsecrets&quot you may have. But please don’t &quothint&quot, doing so is terribly pretentious.

This is all hypothetical by the way. So the ceiling is the limit.

Thank you for your time.

Of course. Note: they aren’t what’s keeping the Neath running, not by a long shot. They’re stewards, assistants, drunk on immortality and the power of their station. Surely a council of men and women could perform the duties the Bazaar requires, without the bootheel of Fires on our workers’ necks.

As to the how…well, they can bleed. And if it bleeds…we can kill it.

It would depend. If the Master was actively harming a human being, certainly! It might be dangerous, but life (such as it is) in Fallen London is always dangerous.

I ain’t gonna flex with the Correspondence.

Depends on the master. And the profit.

[quote=friendshipranger]Of course. Note: they aren’t what’s keeping the Neath running, not by a long shot. They’re stewards, assistants, drunk on immortality and the power of their station. Surely a council of men and women could perform the duties the Bazaar requires, without the bootheel of Fires on our workers’ necks.

As to the how…well, they can bleed. And if it bleeds…we can kill it.[/quote]

[li]Well, we can’t be sure of that. The nature of the Masters and the Bazaar isn’t very clear. ARE they just stewards? Or are they and the Bazaar linked in some way that’s not clear? Are they perhaps even facets of the Bazaar’s own personality, and thus cannot be killed while the Bazaar exists? Can they be killed at all, and any who try will simply see their attack fail, and suffer a fate to horrible to contemplate? The answers to these questions are unknown. And even if they ARE just stewards, is it even possible for humans to perform the neccisary duties? Do we even truely know what all those duties are?

While I do not approve in which the way the Masters run things, there are simply too many unanswered questions for such a risk to be taken.

Well, it depends… I would certainly do it if it brought a good reward, an interesting narrative or both, but my character has a strong bias against killing, so he would never directly harm anyone if not in self defense or in defense of another. I’ll add that as a player, I find some Masters much nicer than others, so I’d prefer not to harm the likes of Mr. Wines or Mr. Veils, while I would have no qualms whatsoever towards Mr. Fires after all he did in the Orphanage matter (but then again, in the Affair of the Box my character sided with him, only because he opposes the Masters who want to destroy London).

What do you mean, “would” I? Has anyone seen Mr Spices lately?

Perhaps I’m misremembering the storylet, but wasn’t it possible to help February out last christmas by charring ‘Mr Sacks’ to a crisp? Perhaps it was my imagination, or perhaps he was an impostor, but I thought that was the idea.

Without treading too much on Fate-locked toes, I believe the Masters we saw last Christmastime were not themselves, per se, but convincing doubles.

I’d do it just to see what’s inside their robes. Think of it as a scientific journey. Like cutting a pyrosome or something.
I also lean towards the Revolutionaries, so anything that hurts the Neathian order in any way is good for me and mine.

As of what I know of the Masters currently, no. There is simply too much I don’t know, and killing someone due to drawing hasty conclusions is a dangerous path to go down. I would rather coerce them in such a way as to make them give me a straight answer about who they are, what they do, and why they’re so important.

Masters must be assailable, else why would they gather neddy men around them for public outings? They seem to have no qualms dealing with inviduals, so maybe it is something to do with the crowd. We know that the bazaar requires certain emotions to be satisfied, and that those who rebel against it can manipulate their republic with the power of public opinion. Perhaps the masters are in some way venerable to the views of the masses

Masters must be assailable, else why would they gather neddy men around them for public outings? They seem to have no qualms dealing with inviduals, so maybe it is something to do with the crowd. We know that the bazaar requires certain emotions to be satisfied, and that those who rebel against it can manipulate their republic with the power of public opinion. Perhaps the masters are in some way venerable to the views of the masses

If given the opportunity, I don’t think I would, but would definitely interrogate one. Also, we know they’re able to die for one solid reason: The name. The God-Eaters. The well. The betrayal. All shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.

Given the effects that are affected upon us still, I would say what you have is evidence that a master can’t be killed, rather than can.

At least in the Neath.

If a Master could be killed, Sherman would strike it down in a heartbeat. After doing some… research (for science, of course!), he would buy the most magnificent robe imaginable, and pose as the fallen Master. And almost assuredly have wacky hijinks trying to stay undercover.

All of you are mad, crackers! Even the idea of TOUCHING a Master gives me the willies. I say we stop this conversation and forget it ever happend: The walls have ears.

Last I checked, we weren’t in Polythreme.