Would a Salon or an Orphanage be more desired?

I’m in the late stages of preparing to found a Salon; I’m preparing to seek a certain Tomb so I can enter the University on my own terms to gain a few connections, but otherwise we’re all set.

In terms of profession, I’ve decided on the Midnighter path for now, so performing at Salons is out, pending a major RP change. That said, I don’t have any preference between Salon/Orphanage, besides that the former is the better producer of Waves, which doesn’t concern me yet. I’m intrigued by the NPC guests of honor for salons, but also inclined towards exploring some of the major social transactions.

Are there Crooked Crosses out there looking for a venue? Perhaps some Authors who’d like a place to read their works? I’d be happy to offer Midnighter performances in return so you can gain Waves, or raise your Waves through the social action of your choice - including those that take the Waves from me. Aside from the jump to Midnighter and remaining able to summon the Amanuensis, I don’t need Waves yet.

I’ll put actual inquiries in the proper thread when all preparations have been made - what I’m asking, today, is whether a Salon or an Orphanage would be in greater demand.
edited by Gerald Edgerton on 7/26/2015

As far as you performing at Salons/Orphanages, the building you choose to have is largely irrelevant.
(Other people invite you to their Salon/Orphanage; you don’t invite yourself to your own.)

You’ve mentioned that you do care for RP, so I would suggest picking whichever suits you and your character better. There will be people about for either townhouse upgrade. For example, Authors seem to be fairly common and are available to be invited to a Salon; but they can upgrade their profession to Correspondent, which can be invited to an Orphanage.
Even if you don’t have players of the right profession, you can still invite the non-player characters to attend and get similar rewards without waiting for the social action to be accepted.

I know I say this a lot, but pick whichever’s most interesting to you. :-)

I agree with Kittenpox, I’d recommend whichever is more interesting/fun/in character for you.

My sense from the forums is that there are more Salons out there than Orphanages, and that there are plenty of friends of all sorts willing to make appearances at either. [Perhaps simply because the BDR is eclipsed by God’s Editors anyway, and Bizarre is harder to come by?]

Author is an interesting case as it’s the only T2 profession available to non-POSI, and it gives valuable rewards for wave-making. I wouldn’t be surprised if it were more common than other professions.

I just searched this myself…funny that someone posted this just a couple hours before. Besides this thread, my search yielded this older thread, with rather more discussion and useful details: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic4270-salon-or-orphanage.aspx

I think I was misunderstood - I’ll emphasize the distinction I was making.

My RP choices dictate that I can only PERFORM at an Orphanage - specifically others’, and not my own.

My RP choices don’t really impact what I do with my own Townhouse. My character is quite fond of the Urchins but also covetous of respectability. He is quite popular among cats, and so might enjoy hosting the Duchess one day.

However, I am very interested in social approaches to Waves. My question was more to the tune of, “Is there greater surplus demand for Orphanages/Salons, since I would like the one I host, in which others might perform, to fill an existing need?”

I realize that hosting would directly benefit me far more than the performer; while I would love to take a more resource-intensive, less turn-intensive approach to waves, I will happily compensate performers with other social actions - menace reduction, passing along Waves, whatever suits your needs! The friends I have have helped with my menaces, but never seem to offer their own return. Fine by me, but I do prefer to show my appreciation how I can. I’ve had to settle for the occasional gift of admiration.

So, to summarize: I’m prepared to create a salon, and could grind the echoes for an orphanage in the next few weeks if I preferred (as I do) not to liquidate assets. My own RP and performances do not affect this particular decision. Since I hope to make use of whatever I create, I’d like to know if either is in greater demand.

I think I was misunderstood - I’ll emphasize the distinction I was making.

My RP choices dictate that I can only PERFORM at an Orphanage - specifically others’, and not my own.

My RP choices don’t really impact what I do with my own Townhouse. My character is quite fond of the Urchins but also covetous of respectability. He is quite popular among cats, and so might enjoy hosting the Duchess one day.

However, I am very interested in social approaches to Waves. My question was more to the tune of, “Is there greater surplus demand for Orphanages/Salons, since I would like the one I host, in which others might perform, to fill an existing need?”

I realize that hosting would directly benefit me far more than the performer; while I would love to take a more resource-intensive, less turn-intensive approach to waves, I will happily compensate performers with other social actions - menace reduction, passing along Waves, whatever suits your needs! The friends I have have helped with my menaces, but never seem to offer their own return. Fine by me, but I do prefer to show my appreciation how I can. I’ve had to settle for the occasional gift of admiration.

So, to summarize: I’m prepared to create a salon, and could grind the echoes for an orphanage in the next few weeks if I preferred (as I do) not to liquidate assets. My own RP and performances do not affect this particular decision. Since I hope to make use of whatever I create, I’d like to know if either is in greater demand.

As mentioned previously, I believe there are more Salons out there than Orphanages. However, I also believe there is much more availability to speak at either than there are schemes in need of speakers, so whichever you choose you will be filling an existing need.