Will quitting Seeking remove Scars Stains & Chains

So with some of the recent revelations about Seeking, I’ve been re-examining whether I want to keep Seeking or not. Especially since My SMEN level of 9 from the old Seeking isn’t all that high for the new Seeking.

But I was wondering if anyone out there who did turn away from the Name can tell me if the Scars on your Flesh, the Stains on your Soul and the Memories of Chains are removed by quitting or are you permanently stuck with them?

I’l probably quit anyway but I was hoping to find out a bit more before I do.

No. I’ve encountered a Fate-locked way to remove Scars, which required that you aren’t Seeking the Name. That means that they must otherwise stay, and I assume the rest do too.

There is at least one exit point from Seeking which will remove all your Stains, Scars, and Chains, when otherwise in the process of getting St Beau’s.

Supposedly the temporary option to quit from The Seeking Road removes all three.

Dang. I’ve already got St Beau’s from the old Seeking so I doubt I’d be able to go that route. Plus I’d have to grind Seeking up to the mid 20s to get that option anyway. :(

I know that there’s a Fate option to remove Scars in Flute Street, but I haven’t seen it and don’t know how much it costs or what the requirements for it are. I know that the Flint Exceptional Story for 120 Fate has an option at the end that gives you the option to remove Stains. I’m not sure about Memories, but I’m sure there’s something around somewhere or possibly something that may be implemented later if not currently available.

I heard that before but the text on the options says it won’t cure your current ills so I’m not sure.

I’ll probably just quit anyway. Now that I’ve learned more about where Seeking goes, I think it finally tipped the balance over to it not being worth it for me.

My interpretation was that means the game won’t restore lost stats, items, qualities (SotC), etc.

Spacemarine9 said that using A Bad End will remove all Stains, Chains, Scars, and Candles. I don’t think he would make that up, so it’s probably true.

So I used A Bad End to quit, and it did not remove the stains, scars and chains.

Oh well. I suppose there was no easy way to remove them.

At least now, any future Seekers who might want to quit will know.

As a quick update to this, I’ve been told that somewhere in the Flint storyline there’s a Fate locked method to clearing stains from a soul. I haven’t played Flint yet, but I plan to so I’ll keep an eye open for that.

I don’t recall a fate locked option to do so, and I explored it very thoroughly, unless you mean the fate needed to play Flint nowadays. The option to remove stains comes at the very end and requires no fate in and of itself, it is pretty much part of the last reward you can choose, absolution.

I don’t recall a fate locked option to do so, and I explored it very thoroughly, unless you mean the fate needed to play Flint nowadays. The option to remove stains comes at the very end and requires no fate in and of itself, it is pretty much part of the last reward you can choose, absolution.[/quote]
Thanks for the clarification. I assume the person who told me that must have been referring to the whole story costing Fate to play then.

Unfortunately, I did not become an Exceptional Friend until this year so I must cough up the moneys if I want to play Flint.

But by all accounts it’s well worth playing and paying for the content will continue to support Failbetter so win-win all around I guess.