Widespread difficulty spike?

[li]Is it just me, or has there been a widespread difficulty spike across all of Fallen London? Or is it just the actions in Wolfstack Docks?

I’m rather annoyed, actually, as I had JUST managed to get my Dangerous high enough to make some of the options Straightforward 100%, only to have them drop below 90% again. Hugely irritating, as half the d—ed storylets in dueling the Black Ribbon lock at ridiculously low Wounds levels. :/

Yep, there’s been a difficulty spike. I thought we were done with those.

I thought so as well. :/ It’s a shame, really. Quite discouraging. :(
[li]

Hey, don’t think that. You’ll get those options up to 100% again.

[quote=Alexis Kennedy][color=#009900]Default difficulty scaler: actually, to ease transition pain, this is set higher than normal, so everyone’s chances of success are better than 60% at parity right now.[/color]
[/quote]
I presume the difficulty is just going to keep scaling as more and more players increase their stats.

It would make sense that it would do so, but it seems unfair to the players that have lower levels and haven’t maxed them out yet.

I don’t see it that way. It’s much the same as a developer releasing a patch for, say, a real-time strategy game that happens to make it harder. I don’t think anyone would consider that unfair to players who bought it later. Besides, the developers presumably think the added difficulty makes the game better; if they’re right, low-level players have an advantage.

Also, a subsidiary point: front-line players seem to pay a tax of sorts. The first people to increase their Archaeologist quality had to pay for it; later, it increased automatically as we went on Expeditions. I actually started playing Fallen London a couple of years ago, and dropped it when I saw how staggeringly expensive PoSi stuff was. I have vague (perhaps fallacious) memories of some components costing 10000 Cryptic Clues each, along with a bunch of other stuff.

[quote=Flyte]I don’t see it that way. It’s much the same as a developer releasing a patch for, say, a real-time strategy game that happens to make it harder. I don’t think anyone would consider that unfair to players who bought it later. Besides, the developers presumably think the added difficulty makes the game better; if they’re right, low-level players have an advantage.

Also, a subsidiary point: front-line players seem to pay a tax of sorts. The first people to increase their Archaeologist quality had to pay for it; later, it increased automatically as we went on Expeditions. I actually started playing Fallen London a couple of years ago, and dropped it when I saw how staggeringly expensive PoSi stuff was. I have vague (perhaps fallacious) memories of some components costing 10000 Cryptic Clues each, along with a bunch of other stuff.[/quote]

You have a point (and the 10K Cryptic Clues may be the expense for getting the &quotproper&quot domicile in the quest to get PoSI).

What I’m thinking when I posed that was that if right now it is 140-142 for &quotNearly Impossible&quot and 158 for &quotStraightforward&quot in some quality that is linked to this storyline, and a player at 110 (which, face it, is really high) gets a chance for that, then they can’t do the story. And if Nearly Impossible WAS only 100 and it was all shifted, well, if it were me, I’d be screaming bloody murder.

However, I also assume the designers take that into account when doing the shift.

[li]

I think the purpose was to transition us into Broad Difficulty, and to bring it down to 60% (as it was before, and I think is how it is in StoryNexus games). It’s at that point, so there probably won’t be any more adjustments.

Edit: Also, the stat cap seems to have been raised again, so that will help.
edited by Sara Hysaro on 7/5/2013