Who else is here?

I echoed the “You cant sleep for hunger” storylet to test this out ans git a letter from a complete stranger which said that they hoped I’d be able to get to sleep soon in spite of the hunger. (extremely paraphrased)

Overall, good feature, ten A+s out of five thumbs up.

Aww, how sweet!

You know what, I keep forgetting that an option to send messages in-game actually exists ^^"

Suggestion for people like me who panic at the thought of being forced to interact with strangers: use the &quotThey say…&quot feature to threaten everyone who dares invite you to supper with bodily harm.

(How did you even find my journal? It was hidden in a box under my bed labeled &quotLIVE SORROW SPIDERS&quot.)
[li]
edited by mayexist on 11/20/2013

[quote=Spacemarine9]I echoed the &quotYou cant sleep for hunger&quot storylet to test this out ans git a letter from a complete stranger which said that they hoped I’d be able to get to sleep soon in spite of the hunger. (extremely paraphrased)

Overall, good feature, ten A+s out of five thumbs up.[/quote]

I would have sent rats. Plentiful and nourishing!

[li]

I approve.

V glad for the easy add of strangers that I can chase through the streets demanding things of. That makes me happy. (The image of chasing dapper people howling ‘but I can’t sleep for the dreeeaaaams!’, and the significantly greater ease of adding.)

I also noticed Cliques have been removed. Is that intentional?

Mine never seemed to work or do anything. But can’t say I tried very hard.

I think the placement of the thing leaves something to be desired–it’s sort of unsightly and distracting where it is.

Other than that, I suppose I’m in favor; I had and have no particular desire for such a feature, but other people seem to be enjoying it, and it’s easy enough to ignore for we misanthropic types. (Or would be, if it weren’t floating in the corner right next to the banner; I can’t help but feel it’d be less obtrusive as part of the Messages tab, or as its own tab, or in the right-hand column with the snippets.)

[quote=Jack Vaux-Harrowden]I think the placement of the thing leaves something to be desired–it’s sort of unsightly and distracting where it is.

Other than that, I suppose I’m in favor; I had and have no particular desire for such a feature, but other people seem to be enjoying it, and it’s easy enough to ignore for we misanthropic types. (Or would be, if it weren’t floating in the corner right next to the banner; I can’t help but feel it’d be less obtrusive as part of the Messages tab, or as its own tab, or in the right-hand column with the snippets.)[/quote]

I’d never use it were it in a separate tab. I’m ancient and senile and wouldn’t remember to go looking. I’m willing to bet that it’ll take a few days, but your brain will sure produce a blind spot. Akin to the deaf spot I developed so long ago when asked about homework.

[color=#ffff00]Playersideblog, could you post this bug to support@failbettergames.com so we’ve got it on record? If you include what browser you’re using (and ideally an screenshot if the issue), that’d be fantastic.

Thanks!

Liam[/color][li]
edited by challis on 11/21/2013

I must say I am rather enjoying the new feature.

I don’t like it, or, more specifically, I don’t like that we can’t opt-out of appearing on it. Clearly it’s something that a lot of players will enjoy and find useful, but it should be optional.

One of the things I’ve always liked about FL is that I can remain private and play on my own. I don’t have to interact with other players overmuch. This seems to be changing, which is fine as it stands, but things like the Halloween content forced me to add players to my list or miss content, which was not appreciated. In that instance it worked out in my favor, and I found some players to connect to who seem lovely :) but I would have preferred there was a single-player option, even one that cost in-game currency, secrets or whatever. There are enough NPCs in the game that it’s not much of a stretch to find one to interact with, surely?
Anyway, if I had the option I’d rather not be included in this little box. Sorry to be a wet blanket :heart:

I’m sure there will be a way to opt out at some point.

[quote=Inky Petrel]I don’t like it, or, more specifically, I don’t like that we can’t opt-out of appearing on it. Clearly it’s something that a lot of players will enjoy and find useful, but it should be optional.

One of the things I’ve always liked about FL is that I can remain private and play on my own. I don’t have to interact with other players overmuch. This seems to be changing, which is fine as it stands, but things like the Halloween content forced me to add players to my list or miss content, which was not appreciated. In that instance it worked out in my favor, and I found some players to connect to who seem lovely :) but I would have preferred there was a single-player option, even one that cost in-game currency, secrets or whatever. There are enough NPCs in the game that it’s not much of a stretch to find one to interact with, surely?
Anyway, if I had the option I’d rather not be included in this little box. Sorry to be a wet blanket :heart:[/quote]

Well, you just have to avoid Echoing to your Journal, and you won’t appear ^^ (I actually liked the feature, so I Echoed a snippet yesterday just so I could appear.)

I tend to echo to my journal when I want to remember something for later (since the in-game record of my actions is nonexistent, and I have a memory like a sieve) I would like to continue doing that without showing up on the ticker :)

^ This. I am in agreement.
edited by Alexander Feld on 11/22/2013

Well, having people adding you means more people you in turn may contact for Second Chances and things like Confessions, but if you like privacy to that degree you could just screen the relevant bits instead of Echoing them; it takes more time, but it also allow you to organize the screens for fast recovery when needed, while the Journal inevitably floods echoes with newer ones. At the moment I started Echoing only things I deem interesting for the community (with the exception of the Salon description I Echoed just yesterday only to appear on the list), for my personal reference I keep a folder with all the pictures of the storylets I want to preserve for future consultation.

I agree. I really do like being able to see what other people are doing, and sometimes I’d like to share my own activities, but already I’m getting menace requests from random people, and that’s awkward.

Overall I think this is a good addition! I like seeing storylets that are so far buried in my journal I would probably never have read them again otherwise (like yesterday in the Forgotten Quarter I got to revisit the Numanistrix’s speech and there were some interesting tidbits there that I don’t think I picked up on the first time).

I do understand the anxiety about making it easy for strangers to contact you with requests for help. Perhaps a mechanism could be added to block social requests from those who are not currently contacts? Or something of that nature? If that would be too difficult to do mechanically, maybe you could add a space in the profile where people could indicate whether or not they are open to social requests and if so which type (someone said something similar earlier on this thread, but if there was a section of the profile dedicated to that it might make it more clear/visible/understandable). Then, if it becomes understood in the FL community that it is not polite to send requests without first checking the profile, that could cut down on unwanted contacts.

Again, I like this new feature overall, as I have always found the social aspects of FL to be a bit strange… for a ‘social’ game it is surprisingly hard to find and interact with other players (I still haven’t figured out in-game messaging) so I think that this is a step in the right direction and I am looking forward to further developments! :)
edited by Asami Sato on 11/22/2013