What's your Closest To faction? [POLL]

Being closest to someone is more about roleplay than profit.

No love for the tomb-colonists, apparently!

It’s pretty bizzare that tomb colonists get a &quotclosest to&quot but rubbery men and the duchess still don’t have one(maybe the widow too but her conenctions don’t feel the same as others and being closest to the Masters would be…special).

I’ll admit, I started closest to The Great Game, but once I finished exploiting that for all it was worth, I went with my true favorite, The Urchins. What can I say? The larcenous, mischievously endearing scamps have a special place in my affections. Even if they are snot nosed hooligans more often than not.

Yeah, it would be nice if they made the Closest To quality a bit more mechanically consequential and hence worth the costs of switching. Having this quality play a big role in the election festivals would be a good start.

Myself, I started out Closest to the Church and then joined the Great Game when I sold the Spymaster the route to the Nadir. This wasn’t accidental though, my character was increasingly attracted to the Game’s mysticism and wanted to join them without injuring her reputation with the Church (over 100 connected). The Nadir offered a plum opportunity for a seamless (and profitable) change of allegiance.

btw, does anyone have an echo of the normal means of immersing oneself in the Game? I’ve always been curious about the text.

I sold the Nadir to the revolutionaries since I knew I was going to switch back to the bohemians and there was a lucrative way to cash in on all my revolutionaries CP before dumping them.

We definitely need the ability to be closest to the Rubberies! Especially now that they have their own (proper) card.

Buddies with squid people? Uh, yes please!!

I don’t disagree, which is why I feel like the penalties for switching are too harsh. Just because I’m not closest to you anymore, I have to zero out my 225 ranks in Great Game, in addition to spending resources? Yeah, I’ll just stick with them.

We’ll see how that feeling changes when GG gets switched to renown/favors.

I don’t disagree, which is why I feel like the penalties for switching are too harsh. Just because I’m not closest to you anymore, I have to zero out my 225 ranks in Great Game, in addition to spending resources? Yeah, I’ll just stick with them.

We’ll see how that feeling changes when GG gets switched to renown/favors.[/quote]
I think it’s less an issue of high cost and more that Closeness has yet to really open up any unique story options. It’s all pretty much Mark of Credit trade in and Counting the Days.

Apparently, everyone and their (starveling) cat are dabbling in the Great Game these days… ;)

I wonder what a poll for second closest factions would look like?

I picked the Great Game to start with, for fancying my character as a pickpocket with espionage aspirations and stuck with that choice through the Nadir, though I was sorely tempted to side with Hell for role-playing purposes there. I might consider cashing in all my GG connections at some point and then switching over to the devils anyway.

[quote=Tarantula]The Great Game card is kind of useless, isn’t it, for any one who isn’t closest to the Great Game or has 20+ Connected.

Other than selling the location and then descecrating the Shrine afterwards.
edited by Tarantula on 8/14/2016[/quote]
Well, the Counting the Days option has an appeal for anyone who doesn’t value the steadfast quirk.
edited by Anne Auclair on 8/14/2016

I’m closest to the Constables, as I feel that the majority of the them genuinely want what is best for the city at large. I’ve dealt with the excesses of the Velocipede Squad quite firmly, mechanics be damned.

One of the major benefit of the conversion to Favours/Renown is that the build up of Connected will be mostly replaced by Renown, while spending it will be replaced by Favours. That means that switching Closest To won’t wipe out your quality. I’d still prioritize lore over mechanics, though. The game isn’t nearly as fun if you don’t eventually do what you feel is right.

[quote=Jeremy Saklad]I’m closest to the Constables, as I feel that the majority of the them genuinely want what is best for the city at large. I’ve dealt with the excesses of the Velocipede Squad quite firmly, mechanics be damned.

One of the major benefit of the conversion to Favours/Renown is that the build up of Connected will be mostly replaced by Renown, while spending it will be replaced by Favours. That means that switching Closest To won’t wipe out your quality. I’d still prioritize lore over mechanics, though. The game isn’t nearly as fun if you don’t eventually do what you feel is right.[/quote]
What’s the cost of switching using the favor system?

All your favours, I believe. No renown loss.

Surprisingly, church

My character has some close factions, but she is closest to the Bohemians, as while her focus may have shifted from pleasure to power while being in the Neath, her soft spot for her hedonistic friends will never. It’s hard to endulge by yourself.
My recent first alt isn’t closest to anyone yet, but I’m planning on them being closest to the church.

Neither choices are based on mechanics, though. I’d rather regret missing out mechanically, rather than feeling like my choices don’t suit my character, roleplay-wise.

Happily Closest to Hell and Hellfarer on top of that. Which reminds me… where did I put my soul?

I used to be very close to the Great Game, but then I flipped the playing board.