WHAT THE HELL?

Certain options now cost multiple AP? Now I can’t buy my hotel room for several more days. Why would you do this. I seriously doubt any storyline is worth multiple ap every time I do it. Just why?
edited by Cubethulhu on 1/26/2012

Have you checked the rewards already? I haven’t, but I wouldn’t judge anything without calculating the new rewards/action ratio. Also I’ve got the Western-Tower Card here, which has a lovely new option: Acquiring a key with certain connections for a lower price (infernal items, so I can’t evaluate the number of actions yet).

The rewards are better. Almost enough to not get to angry about it. Its just this eats up my points way faster then I would like.

I don’t mind at all. So far the ones I’ve found where it’s 2+ actions tend to be grindy ones anyway and less clicks is a boon. Just means I have to use the occasional stray action on something else instead of the grind.

High-level players will sometimes want to acquire lower-level items in bulk. We’ve provided some options that effectively allow several actions to be spent with one click, multiplying the reward and action cost appropriately.

The text in the storylets should warn you that some choices will cost more than 1 action, and a number appears next to the ‘Go’ button to show exactly how many.

The forums are still young and we’re still settling in, but you might want to avoid angry, all-caps titles. The devs are here, we read the forums, we’re happy to answer questions. There’s no need to shout. :)

I forgot the forums don’t like smileys. That broken image should be a smiley. Here’s another one. :)
edited by Chris Gardiner on 1/26/2012

There’s something rather charming about the Echo Bazaar forum smiley being, through my browser at least, merely the world ‘smile’ slightly out of true with the surrounding line of text. Hooray.

[quote=Chris Gardiner]High-level players will sometimes want to acquire lower-level items in bulk. We’ve provided some options that effectively allow several actions to be spent with one click, multiplying the reward and action cost appropriately.

The text in the storylets should warn you that some choices will cost more than 1 action, and a number appears next to the ‘Go’ button to show exactly how many.

The forums are still young and we’re still settling in, but you might want to avoid angry, all-caps titles. The devs are here, we read the forums, we’re happy to answer questions. There’s no need to shout. :)

I forgot the forums don’t like smileys. That broken image should be a smiley. Here’s another one. :)
edited by Chris Gardiner on 1/26/2012[/quote]

I usually dont type in all caps for anything. I just wanted to convey the exact response I had when I saw the content change. Thats all. >_>

If you’re trying to unlock the room at the Royal Beth, look at the bottom of the Unfinished Business storylets in Veilgarden. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

The real question is how do these mutli-action actions interact with quality advancement? If I choose a two-action “shadowy” challenge, will my shadowy increase two times as much as with a one-action action? If so, will it cost me two hastily-scrawled warning notes as well?

This suggests that things with multiple action cost have a properly shifted reward. And yes from what I read of Chris’ original post, the option will list the number of actions and items it would cost.

~MF
A Lady

I’ve tested it on the “Wade into the Ring Fights” option from “Unfinished Business in Watchmaker’s Hill”. The option now takes 5 actions instead of one, it still only gives you the same points towards dangerous, however, the reward is 50 rustygold higher than you’d get from ding the old option 5 times, so it seems a pretty fair trade-off. I havn’t tested 2nd chances yet, but it seems likely that since you get the the normal amount change points to your quality, you also only use the normal amount of 2nd chances - which would of course make the new option even more favorable.

All in all I’m thrilled at the recent updates, the story-based crafting system is very enjoyable and makes some hard-to-come-by items much easier to get (I’ll never run out of memories of light anymore!), and also paved the way for the new sidestreets costs, which are both cheeper and seem more interesting story-wise (e.g. using A Journal of Infamy to get Use of Vilains). The new action costs, both bulk-actions and free-actions, seem great. I’m even beginning to warm up to the new design. All in all a great job Failbetter!

Oh and the new Prisoner’s Honey option in Veilgarden is positively delicious! Now I can go ahead and write a most scandalous opera to get myself banished from court, without being afraid of forever turning my back on the most profitable honey source in the game.

[quote=Chris Gardiner]I forgot the forums don’t like smileys. That broken image should be a smiley. Here’s another one. :)
edited by Chris Gardiner on 1/26/2012[/quote]

Is the forum going to get any smilies? I’d like to see some cute smileys using a sprite-art version of the Exceptional Hat… smile
edited by Owlor on 1/27/2012

The reverse is also true.

This correspondence sigil is a smiley when you’re not looking.

I’d rather not spend multiple actions at once, especially when I’m on my last action or only need one action’s worth of goods. This is a bad idea and I can’t wait to see it gone; I was even glad it wasn’t in the game up until now.

Perhaps there could be a way of choosing how many actions to use? That way, if you want to get a large amount of a certain item, you can choose to use multiple actions-or not, if you prefer to save your actions for other things?

To me, at least, that seems like an acceptable compromise. Though, not being a coder, I have no idea what it would take to implement such a system.