What should I be doing to progress?

In the last couple months I’ve gained POSI status, gotten my Notability up to 2, advanced to the Stalker profession, and gotten A Name Signed With A Flourish and A Name Whispered In Darkness up to 7 (A Name Scrawled In Blood and A Name In Seven Secret Alphabets I got to 7 a while ago). I’ve bred a Hound of Heaven, educated Lyme, sailed the Unterzee in my Rusty Tramp Steamer, spent a couple terms as Governor in the Carnelian Coast, dodged the path to Seeking a certain name (I know enough to avoid trying to do that), and played Death at chess enough times that I’m starting to lose. I have enough gear to get me about +30 for each stat. My stats are:
99 Watchful,
86 Shadowy,
110 Dangerous, and
114 Persuasive.

I see several paths open to me:
Continue with the Carnelian Coast.
Get passage to the Iron Republic to continue my Nemesis ambition
Grind up Tales of Mahogany Hall
Get the items necessary for a scientific expedition
Assemble the Screaming Map and go to Polythreme
Marry the Celebrated Artist’s Model (From what the wiki says, the stat boost from this isn’t really worth the item cost)
Start a newspaper in Doubt Street (what I’m trying at at the moment)

All of these seem to have a pretty high item cost and/or require a lot of grinding. Any recommendations on what I should be doing, either from among the choices I’ve listed or from something I’ve missed (particularly in regards to Shadowy content, as that is my lowest skill by a significant margin)?

You still have plenty of options available to you, but it’s mostly free reign at the point you currently occupy. Any of those options you listed would be perfectly acceptable choices, but you’re welcome to pursue whatever goal or ambition you desire. You are the voyager and the Neath is your oyster; an abominable, foul-smelling, and vehemently despicable oyster that’s like to devour you whole, but I digress. Chase whatever whimsy pleases your palette.

Putting storylines aside, you could find ways to upgrade your gear even further. It’s quite feasible to get your boosts up to the 50s and 60s for any and all stats. You could get one of your stats to 200 and ascend to PoSI godhood. Upgrade to T5 lodgings. Upgrade your ship. Upgrade your spouse! Collect items and companions.

Once you’re confident you’ve experienced all there is to offer, take up an objective that most Londoners would call &quotabsurd&quot. Most tend to start with the Overgoat / Ubergoat, but there are limitless self-imposed goals to pursue. How many Impossible Theorems can you collect for your mantel? Accumulate millions of souls, or rats! (Ah, how I miss His Rattiness dearly) How ludicrously far can you increase this particular quality? How much renown can you acquire with this particular faction? Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
edited by Redd Herring on 11/14/2016

[quote=Redd Herring]
Putting storylines aside, you could find ways to upgrade your gear even further. It’s quite feasible to get your boosts up to the 50s and 60s for any and all stats.[/quote]

[li]
Supposing I want to try this, is it feasible at my level, and if so how would I go about it? I always assumed it would be at later levels, particularly once one has accrued mass quantities of echoes and can get most of the items at the Bazaar. The best items so far seem to be profession-specific (my best item at the moment is my +9 Dangerous +9 Watchful companion), and +35 is about the cap I can manage for any stats.

I am a miser, but I have to say that I wouldn’t invest in equipment over hard cold cash until you need the top of the line equipment. Especially for Watchful and now that top of the Renown equipment has now been introduced, long-term optimizing may be in your interest - buying a +5 item which needs to be replaced with a +6 is tedious. That said, Notability is eased with
BDR equipment in the Hat, Boot, and Glove slots and you haven’t mentioned taking a higher profession (3 or 5 required). That’s a worthy goal.

I personally enjoyed going after my ambition and exploring
the scientific research component. But that’s partly because I don’t mind being out of London.

Have you unlocked the box grind yet? That’s one of the best sources of money in the game. And it also provides a steady trickle of correspondence plaques, which are useful if you pursue the affair of the fidgeting writer.

Most everything is feasible once you become a Person of Some Importance, it’s just a matter of how much effort you’re willing to put in. Some items may require you to have higher stats to avoid being plagued by failure, but most all of it should be accessible.

I would refer you to the wiki, which possesses convenient lists of (most) of the in-game equipment in descending order of boosts, from highest to lowest.
Hats - Clothing - Gloves - Boots - Weapons - Companions - Destinies - Affiliations - Transport - Home Comfort - Ships - Spouse - Clubs - BDR

Getting to the 50s / 60s in stat boosts without spending fate is perhaps not possible for some of your stats, however, you can acquire a high boost in the mid to high 40s / early 50s.

With Watchful, for instance, if you acquire the following: a Semiotic Monocle or an Extraordinary Hat (+8), a Smock of Four Thousand Three Hundred and Eight Pockets (+10), an Insatiable Glove (+8), a Ratwork Watch (+8), A Meticulously Altered Stocking (+3, should be available to acquire during the Christmas event), the Scuttering Squad or the Midnight Matriarch (+8), a Newspaper or Orphanage (+1), and a Voluminous Library (+1)…

You’ll end up with a +47 boost to watchful without spending any fate whatsoever. Everything but the Meticulously Altered Stocking, Newspaper / Orphanage, and Voluminous Library can be purchased at your local Bazaar. Furthermore, if you decide to acquire the Overgoat at some point, that’s a +20 boost alone. And then a +30 boost if you buy two Overgoats and convert them to an Ubergoat, resulting in a grand total of a +59 or +69 boost for Watchful with no fate expenditure.

I went ahead and calculated how high you could boost the rest of your stats without spending fate, as well as disregarding more permanent items such as your spouse or destiny in addition to the ever exclusive event items in my calculations, and the results are as follows:

+45 Dangerous, +48 Persuasive, +47 Shadowy.

Much of what is required to elevate your stats to those levels can be purchased at the Bazaar for a significant amount of echoes, while the rest comes from minor +1 to +3 boosts from affiliations and the like. You can receive a slightly higher boost in select stats depending on what destiny or spouse you possess (a destiny will absolutely push you over the 50 boost threshold in any one of your stats as long as you’ve acquired all the best non-fate / non-event equipment). I should note that the recent renown update added companions with +10 / +1 BDR boosts for those with 40 renown in a faction. While it is a significant grind, those can be acquired without fate, and the boosts would look more like this if you acquired them,

+49 Watchful, +47 Dangerous, +51 Persuasive, +49 Shadowy.

Otherwise, take advantage of the events and celebrations when they occur, they’ll often offer you the opportunity to acquire an equipment upgrade in some fashion (most often in the form of companions, but there are others as well), and that will sometimes let you get even higher. Especially if you are willing to spend fate.
edited by Redd Herring on 11/14/2016

Ubergoat costs 1 fate.

Do new characters still get that 1 free fate point? I believe all the other free fate sources have been elimianated dues to mobile synchronizatoin issues, but perhaps a new character still gets one?

Ubergoat costs 1 fate.

Do new characters still get that 1 free fate point? I believe all the other free fate sources have been elimianated dues to mobile synchronizatoin issues, but perhaps a new character still gets one?[/quote]

The wiki was recently updated that one option in a story that gave fate did give fate but didn’t say it did, either all stories or some of them at least still give some fate or what was on the wiki may not be true now.

[quote=xKiv]
Do new characters still get that 1 free fate point? I believe all the other free fate sources have been elimianated dues to mobile synchronizatoin issues, but perhaps a new character still gets one?[/quote]

[li]
I have 4 Fate, none of which was paid for. Free fate sources still exist in the game. I believe I got two from being kicked out of the Empress’ Court?

[quote=xKiv]Ubergoat costs 1 fate.

My words were poorly chosen, as I didn’t consider 1 fate to be an expenditure, per se (since I was equating it to real world money spent). I should have mentioned the 1 fate caveat, however.

Another thing that would be incredibly helpful would be advice on where I can find Bizarre, Dreaded, and Respectable equipment. I have a total of +14 BDR, and if I’m willing to drop something like 1500 echoes, I can get another +3. Other than that, how can I get my BDR up, given I already have a +2 pet (the Haunted Goldfish), a Clay Sedan Chair, membership of God’s Editors, and membership of a club. I’ve heard of bonuses of +24, and presumably one can get higher even than that. How might this be possible?
[li]

Edit: Also, I’ve heard it is possible to give a point of notability to someone else. Is it possible for someone of low notability to give to someone of high notability, thus increasing how much that point is &quotworth&quot in Making Waves? And would it be possible for someone of low notability to significantly help someone of higher notability by repeatedly giving them their &quotlow value&quot points of Notability?
edited by The Lord Breakfast on 11/15/2016

The highest BDR possible at the moment is only available with fate - Ubergoat gives +4 as does a Ratwork Velocipede. At the Feast of the Rose you can be gifted items that give more BDR than you can get at any other time (+3 hat and weapon from previous festivals with no guarantee that things will be the same in the future). Also at Sackmas you can get fate locked gifts from the masters that give +1 Home comforts (or become a Midnighter).

Things you can add without fate - if your ship is a Yacht you get +2; an Iron Republic Journal is a +2 weapon. You can get +1 gloves from the Bazaar or the new Docks item; any of the 400 echo hats give +1; lots of +1 options for clothes; for boots you can get use the criminal renown item or the 450 echo Kingscale Boots

Just saw your edit - Notability gifting is disabled at the moment (I think it didn’t work well on the app) you could only give Notability to someone who didn’t have any Notability. So not possible to gift to people with higher Notability.

You can browse the full list of BDR boosting items here:
http://fallenlondon.wikia.com/wiki/Bizarre,_Dreaded,Respectable(Guide)

As Lady Ciel said, some are Fate-locked, and some are seasonal. I believe that the maximum possible BDR at the moment is 33, which includes, in addition to all the BDR items, two Tattoos.

I have 32, I think… It’s possible I missed something but I didn’t think so

ETA: Ah! You mean with the seven-fold knock?
edited by genesis on 11/15/2016

I have 32, I think… It’s possible I missed something but I didn’t think so

ETA: Ah! You mean with the seven-fold knock?[/quote]
Yeah, the Seven-Fold Knock is the latest addition :-)
Not easy to get, though.

[quote=lady ciel ]The highest BDR possible at the moment is only available with fate - Ubergoat gives +4 as does a Ratwork Velocipede. At the Feast of the Rose you can be gifted items that give more BDR than you can get at any other time (+3 hat and weapon from previous festivals with no guarantee that things will be the same in the future). Also at Sackmas you can get fate locked gifts from the masters that give +1 Home comforts (or become a Midnighter).

Things you can add without fate - if your ship is a Yacht you get +2; an Iron Republic Journal is a +2 weapon. You can get +1 gloves from the Bazaar or the new Docks item; any of the 400 echo hats give +1; lots of +1 options for clothes; for boots you can get use the criminal renown item or the 450 echo Kingscale Boots[/quote]

Arg, I didn’t know the yacht actually had a higher bonus than the zubmarine. I feel the call to maximize, but I’m just so darn proud of that zubmarine I built with my own two hands and so much grinding! I couldn’t possibly part with it! If only you were allowed to have multiple ships to equip!