What Next?

I find that Doubt Street, the Newspaper bit, is one of my favorite bits of text in the whole game.
I’d recommend starting that if you’ve finished with all the Mahogany Hall business.

Yeah I think I’ve finished Mahogany Hall (Wars of Illusion and Affair of the Box). Is there a connection between Mahogany Hall and Doubt St?

No, there’s no connection. It’s just a nice Shadowy area to work on your Newspaper (though you’ll need to use some opportunity cards to get enough copy for the best editions).

Have you entered the Labyrinth of Tigers?

Yeah I went through the Labyrinth a while back. I haven’t done a huge amount of breeding there still admittedly.

Newspapers require a whirring contraption for each round, and it is partially a waiting game for cards once you start as was said. You can grind up watchful in Wilmot’s End and grind Whirring Contraptions there at the same time by using the Missing Woman route for Dramatic Tension (set your success rate to 90% for max watchful gains, 100% for max whirring contraption grind) While waiting for the cards from your current paper to work out. You can build DT with any stat though, but your they probably won’t be able to hit the values needed for ideal success rates.

Grinding watchful while working on my newspaper? Why, that sounds like the perfect combination! Seems like Doubt St is the way to go. Thanks all for the suggestions.

I just got An Unsigned Message, so I’ve been working getting my Notability and Making Waves up (and also grinding my Watchful in the Clay Quarters). Can anyone suggest anything else I can do, other than continue to Assist the Ragged-Sleeved Academic, to push up Making Waves or Watchful that doesn’t involve cards? (I don’t want to try for Correspondent this early; I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t succeed, and this is the first time I’ve ever seen the Third Tier Profession card.)

MW can be gained by upconverting Memories of Distant Shores, Tales of Terror, Zee-Ztories, Visions of the Surface, or Scraps of Incendiary Gossip.

Also, you can grind MW at the Singing Mandrake in Veilgarden. My preferred option is Writing a Lewd Satirical Song about the Grand Hunt, because while it requires a Tale of Terror and Journal of Infamy as prerequisites, the items are not consumed. You will gain scandal and wounds, and it lowers connected to Hell, but it is repeatable and a good way to grind up a few levels without chewing through items the way that upconverting does.

You can also side-convert these items (50 items convert into 51 of another 3rd tier item of a different category).

You can repeat this loop endlessly (some side conversions won’t give MW), and it won’t cost you anything (you’ll gain 50p worth of items for every action). The average seems to be ~1.5 CP of MW per action.

Working on getting my Connected: Masters quality back up to at least 2 for a card story. Are there any storylets that regularly give Connected: Masters?

No.

You can buy some connected with 10000 proscribed materials. The relevant card will come endlessly once you have more than a hundred.

Isn’t there a temple club storylet? Though it’s also ludicrously expensive.

Note that the option to buy C: Masters with Proscribed Material is a spectacularly bad deal. It costs 400 echoes of Material for 1 CP of C: Masters, but the rare books option on that same card is instead 375 echoes of harder-to-obtain items for 3 CP of C: Masters. So while getting the items for that option is more difficult, it both costs less in terms of raw item value and gives bonus items during up-conversion.
edited by Optimatum on 3/11/2017

Oh that’s how much I spent while idly clicking through that card: I thought, why not? Since it gets me C: Masters. Oops!

Note that the option to buy C: Masters with Proscribed Material is a spectacularly bad deal. It costs 400 echoes of Material for 1 CP of C: Masters, but the rare books option on that same card is instead 375 echoes of harder-to-obtain items for 3 CP of C: Masters. So while getting the items for that option is more difficult, it both costs less in terms of raw item value and gives bonus items during up-conversion.
edited by Optimatum on 3/11/2017[/quote]

And the grind through the Temple Club storylet is also bad. 2500 Romantic Notions for one change point of Connected: The Masters