What is the best way to grind Notability?

Ok, I was THINKING of going for the new options (I already qualify for 3 of them: Just the Dangerious one is a annoyance), but… I don’t really grind notabilty, and especaly not for 15 notability. And I’d need to do it 4 times. I’m willing. I just need tips and hints.

The Salon.[li]

There is literally no better method in my opinion. You can build it up over time without losing progress each week, then cash it in for truly absurd amounts of Making Waves. Focus on the options for the Presbyterate Diplomat and the Duchess, while being careful not to waste Making Waves. Use the Duchess to get as close as possible, then the Diplomat, then cross-convert items for the rest. This is neither time-consuming (only a few weeks of drawing cards while doing other things) nor tedious, and it is extremely reliable overall.

The main limitation of that method is the large amount of Connected: Society and Connected: Bohemians that you need. Doing this tends to mean both values are always going to be below 50, which is an excellent example of why the Favours/Renown transition is occurring.

By the way, doing the math is quite useful for this. The amount of change points you need to attain a certain level of a quality is a “triangular number”, which you can calculate using Wolfram|Alpha. It was surprisingly difficult to figure out what the correct term was, but now that I’ve done that I don’t have to manually add up all those numbers.

The amount of Making Waves you need is (20-(Bizarre+Dreaded+Respectable)+4*(Notability)).

I recommend recording your maximum BDR somewhere so you don’t have to constantly shuffle your inventory to check your current goal.

Speaking of which, I really wish we could have an arbitrarily large number of custom outfits. We have settings for each of the four stats, but it is still a pain to maximize BDR.

Oh, and possibly the most painful part of this is the fact that you need Notability to summon the Amanuensis. I really hate this requirement. It is possible to get Notability from other players, but they already have to have 3, and that’s a lot to ask of someone. I suppose it is possible to donate Notability practically for free if you have high BDR, but it is still aggravating.

Oh, and you’ll have to grind for Notability eight times. It costs 12 to change your PoSI specialization, unless you are willing to spend real-world money on something you could get for free by playing (which I dislike on principle).

Last I heard, this option is still disabled. Did this return among other updates and I missed it?

Just linking this here: http://community.failbettergames.com/topic22521-the-ultimate-guide-to-notability-v.aspx

In one of the other threads, someone figured out that repeatedly marrying a player via one of the cheap weddings for the +1 Notability would be faster at high Notability than grinding MW. (Plus it gives both people Notability so you can split the costs with someone else going for PP.)

Besides Salons/Orphanages for burst MW gain, there’s also Tales of Terror!! as a non-card method. I’m pretty sure it’s less efficient than the gradual MW grinds, but stealing a lot of ToT through Thefts of a Particular Character and upconverting them all at once does work pretty well (and makes a profit too).

I have a hard time understanding the math of it all. I tried converting items for it–but the number of actions needed to get the items, etc., was so high that it didn’t seem worth it. I always end up just going back to the life of the mind in the Shuttered Palace in the end and grinding away and selling the resulting proscribed materials.

Side conversions - that is, turning 50 journals of infamy into 51 plaques, those plaques into visions of the surface and so on in a loop until you get back to where you started - gives on average something like 1.7 MW per action & a small profit, makng it one of the most action efficient ways of gaining waves. If you need a lot of waves in a short time however you are better using your salon/orphanage or gathering a large volume of tales of terror and turning them into extraordinary implications. These are less action efficient overall, but allow you to generate a huge chunk of waves in a burst (say, to level your notability before tth comes).

A little thinking ahead here can improve your MW/action rate when it counts.

1. When you’re not working on Notability, stockpile items at the MW-generating points (Visions of the Surface, Scraps of Incendiary Gossip, Tales of Terror, Zee Ztories) by performing side-conversions that don’t result in Waves.

2. Also stockpile Romantic Notions (possibly by grinding and upconverting Honey).

Romantic Notions make a particularly good entry ramp onto the 3rd-tier carousel. First of all, you make waves by upconverting them into Visions of the Surface (a guaranteed 3 CP if you can do it in units of 500). Second, Visions occur at a wrinkle in the pattern. While generally every third conversion makes waves, at this point the wave conversion is displaced (Visions into Mysteries, rather than Plaques into Visions). This means that starting the cycle with Visions is particularly attractive, giving you two wave-generating points in your first three conversions. Also, enough resources when you start will keep you from having to convert across the Absinthe-to-Visions desert, thus notably raising your MW/action. If you’re willing to amass resources between Notability pushes and thus don’t need a self-perpetuating machine, you can exit the carousel at Tales of Terror by upconverting them into Extraordinary Implications for a very notable MW boost.

So, for example, you could go:

Notions ≈ Visions ≈ Mysteries > Gossip ≈ Memories > Souls > Tales ≈ Documents > Memories > Ztories ≈ Absinthe (24 MW in 10 actions, or 2.4 MW/A)

or

Notions ≈ Visions ≈ Mysteries > Gossip ≈ Memories > Souls > Tales ≈ Implications (23 MW in 7 actions, or 3.285 MW/A)

(N.B. Except for Notions ≈ Visions and Tales ≈ Implications, all these conversions are variable. A median result was assumed for all variable conversions.)

Edit: It’s also worth noting that converting 500 Notions will give you enough Visions to do the rest of the series twice. Fully converting a load of Notions to Absinthe yields 41 MW in 19 actions, or 2.16 MW/A. Fully converting a load of Notions to Implications yields 43 MW in 13 actions, or 3.31 MW/A. Recommendation: Take the Implications off-ramp unless you’re going to have to cycle the carousel multiple times to get your target.
edited by Siankan on 7/29/2017

When it comes to getting Notability, it doesn’t matter how much Making Waves you can grind in 𝑥 days.

Only one thing matters: how much Making Waves you can grind in one week, give or take a small amount left over after Time, the Healer last visited. So long as you can keep enough Making Waves to maintain your existing Notability indefinitely (which is relatively trivial unless you stop playing for a week), it all comes down to sprinting for the next requirement all at once. Consider the preparation as banked Making Waves that don’t get reset.

By the way, I find it takes far fewer actions to actually use the Salon than you might think.

• Favours in High Places are extremely easy to get through the “A Polite Invitation” party, which is already extremely worthwhile because it gives 4 Favours: Hell, 1 Favour: Rubbery Men, and 20 points of Making Waves each time. (Seriously, they really need to nerf that card. It’s completely broken.)[/li][li]Stolen Kisses can be bought two at a time for their price in Shards of Glim from the Soft-Hearted Widow’s card, which also gives Making Waves.[/li][li]Connected: Society and Connected: Bohemians can be acquired in vast sums from various Opportunity Cards, and ground (grinded?) at the Shuttered Palace in a pinch.

[li]

[quote= Saklad]When it comes to getting Notability, it doesn’t matter how much Making Waves you can grind in 𝑥 days.

Only one thing matters: how much Making Waves you can grind in one week, give or take a small amount left over after Time, the Healer last visited.[/quote]
Isn’t this effectively stating that 𝑥 always equals 7?

For context, the last time I did serious MW grinding was for my Noman, where there was another layer of time pressure (getting enough pails before they stopped being sold), so at that time overall action efficiency was more important than maximising my gain per week (I was going for 7N over & over again, not trying to reach 15N). At that time I typically got to 7N in a little over a day, less if I got lucky with my salin.

As I say it’s been a while since I’ve done the calculations, but I believe side conversions give the best mw per action, making them perfect for lower levels of notability (up to about 8 or 9 depending on your bdr). Beyond that you might struggle to do enough conversions before TTH gets you, at which point you are indeed better relying on ToT and your salon/orphanage (assuming the card decides to show up).
edited by Màiread on 7/29/2017

I haven’t checked Siankan’s maths but if it is correct then it is just about doable at high levels with very high BDR, vast supplies of Romantic Notions and EF.

With 32 BDR it takes 885 CP to go from 14 to 15 Notability, which is 885/3.31 ~= 268 actions. This is doable in 3 days for EFs. On average this would be 885/43 ~= 21 Notion-Implication cycles, which requires 21*500 = 10500 Notions.

I current have just over 20K RN mainly from the Blemmigan Fate option on the Bohemians card. This took me probably over 1.5 years (!) to grind and, using this method, would be able to push me from 14 to 15 Notability twice…

So it’s a definite boost but not a panacea. We need to do this 4 times, not twice. And of course getting to 14 is not trivial either. With 32 BDR I can reliably get to 12 Notability just by doing Heists and background MW trickled. But going to 13 and 14 is an effort.
edited by genesis on 7/29/2017

Ah–I think I might understand at last. Ran the side conversions through once, will try again when I’m back at 40 actions. Thanks!

If you plan to do a lot of side-conversions, I highly recommend the (white-listed) Chrome extension &quotConversion Helper&quot:

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24080-chrome-extension-conversion-helper-pending.aspx
edited by dov on 7/30/2017

[quote=dov]If you plan to do a lot of side-conversions, I highly recommend the (white-listed) Chrome extension &quotConversion Helper&quot:

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24080-chrome-extension-conversion-helper-pending.aspx
edited by dov on 7/30/2017[/quote]

That… is actualy really handy. So you just go from left to right making waves with each action and making a bit of a profit?

[quote=Kylestien][quote=dov]If you plan to do a lot of side-conversions, I highly recommend the (white-listed) Chrome extension &quotConversion Helper&quot:

http://community.failbettergames.com/topic24080-chrome-extension-conversion-helper-pending.aspx[/quote]

That… is actualy really handy. So you just go from left to right making waves with each action and making a bit of a profit?[/quote]

Pretty much, though only 4 of the 13 conversions in the cycle give MW. This extension lets you access all those 3rd tier items at a glance and to see where you have those with at least 50 (i.e. ready for conversion).

(FYI - the items which provide MW are: Tales of Terror, Zee Stories, Visions of the Surface, and Scraps of Incendiary Gossip)